Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:29:06 PM EDT
I thought some of you guys would like to see some of these pictures i found while digging through my fathers old Marine photo albums. first off, my father served as a first lieutenant in a weapons platoon of E company, of the 2nd battalion, of the 2nd regiment , of the 2nd marine division. he never served in any wars , but i still commend is service. While on the USS Guadalcanal in 1976 he witnessed a helicopter explosion on the deck and was able to photograph it.

4 men lost their lives in this explosion.

There wasn't supposed to be any flight operations while men on deck, but someone thought it would be ok to let them men have a bbq after the last helicopter left for the day.

shortly after leaving, a CH-46 returned due to major vibrations and exploded right on top of the deck. he was able to snap a few of these.

sorry for pictures of a pictures.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
wow! that's crazy!  thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Your father was in during a tough time for the military - post Vietnam / Carter years.

That was maximum suckage.

I came in during the Reagan years and listened to the old timers tell me about how good things were compared to the past.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing those pictures.  From Condition White to Oh Sh*t!  Oh Sh*t!  Oh Sh*t!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your father was in during a tough time for the military - post Vietnam / Carter years.

I came in during the Reagan years and listened to the old timers tell me about how good things were compared to the past.

View Quote

thank you for your service
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  That's a step back.  Timeless priceless photos
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
That's nuts.

Great pics OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't really do anything.

Never had to shoot at anyone and even better, nobody ever shot at me.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting the pics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a vet in my book
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow.

Scan those, that's rare history.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow.

Scan those, that's rare history.

View Quote

I plan on it soon
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Fire, Fire, Fire. Fire on the flight deck.. Something along those lines.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Please contact the Museum of Naval Aviation and offer copies of those pictures to them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please contact the Museum of Naval Aviation and offer copies of those pictures to them.
View Quote

I will cirtainly look to it. I'll let my father know asap
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]

As posted, some scary stuff going on there!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to post the rest. Some of it shows the wreckage . I found posting those may be in bad taste and disrespectful of those who were lost
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
That is the last ship I floated on. Six months of '93-'94.

We were up in the Adriatiac for a few days when we got the call to head down to float off the coast of Somalia. This in response to events in Mogadishu.

I was fortunate in that I was part of a group that flew off the ship while it transited the Suez. We weren't any kind of high-speed group. We did about two hours in Egypt, a day or two in Mombasa, a few days in Bahrain, and finally into Mogadishu.

Even in peace-time, these floats are usually memorable for one reason or another, as is evidenced by those pics.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That is the last ship I floated on. Six months of '93-'94.

We were up in the Adriatiac for a few days when we got the call to head down to float off the coast of Somalia. This in response to events in Mogadishu.

I was fortunate in that I was part of a group that flew off the ship while it transited the Suez. We weren't any kind of high-speed group. We did about two hours in Egypt, a day or two in Mombasa, a few days in Bahrain, and finally into Mogadishu.

Even in peace-time, these floats are usually memorable for one reason or another, as is evidenced by those pics.

View Quote

So cool. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Geez that would have scared the hell outta me! Thanks for sharing bikerman.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#24]
thanks guys. ill let him know  
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I was on that one, late 70's. Also the Guam as far as Helo-platforms go. Much better ride than LSTs (damn amphibs, hated bobbing around like a cork).
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Tell me about it: in 1978 my 41 man Mech Infantry platoon in germany only had 17 guys.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was on that one, late 70's. Also the Guam as far as Helo-platforms go. Much better ride than LSTs (damn amphibs, hated bobbing around like a cork).
View Quote

funny you say that. my father told me story's that he spent many a night sea sick on that ship
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't knock it till you try it
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and is that one of the flight crew of the second helo in mid air?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes he was jumping out . im pretty sure only the crew was lost, nobody else.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I did 6 months on the Guam the year before the Guadalcanal. We lost a CH-53 and a few Marines on that one. We were still in the Atlantic when the -53 left the flight deck headed for somewhere in the west of the African continent. They never made it.

Otherwise, that float was remarkable only in that we went straight through the Med and up into the Adriatic. We stayed up in there just about the whole float. The UN countries were flying relief flights into Sarajevo at the time. There were two beer days. If at sea for a solid 60 days, you get two beers up on the flight deck. I didn't go for it, so couldn't tell you what kind of beer it was. Probably Black Label from the seventies.

Did six months on the Raleigh (LPD) in '86-'87. Extended for a couple weeks because Terry Waite got kidnapped.

The year after that, did 6 months on the Shreveport, another LPD.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#32]
damn
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I did 6 months on the Guam the year before the Guadalcanal. We lost a CH-53 and a few Marines on that one. We were still in the Atlantic when the -53 left the flight deck headed for somewhere in the west of the African continent. They never made it.  

Otherwise, that float was remarkable only in that we went straight through the Med and up into the Adriatic. We stayed up in there just about the whole float. The UN countries were flying relief flights into Sarajevo at the time. There were two beer days. If at sea for a solid 60 days, you get two beers up on the flight deck. I didn't go for it, so couldn't tell you what kind of beer it was. Probably Black Label from the seventies.

Did six months on the Raleigh (LPD) in '86-'87. Extended for a couple weeks because Terry Waite got kidnapped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

was that ch-53 incident in 81?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#34]
We used to lose a lot of Marines on those -46s.

On one of my first two floats (can't remember which) the LHA Saipan was with us. A CH-46 came up off the flight deck and essentially rolled into the top of the big 2 painted on the conning tower. Crashed back down to the deck and I think part of it rolled into the sea. Lost I think 6 Marines in that one. For the longest time after that, Marines flew separately from all their gear.

Was in Korea in '84. Was set up on a Korean military airfield, working a project with the US Army GUARDRAIL folks. We were supposed to receive communications in the night. Never got anything. Turned out a -46 had hit a mountain that night and part of the exercise was halted as a result. We lost 18 Marines in that crash.

I didn't so much mind -53s. I'd rather walk than fly on a -46.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

funny you say that. my father told me story's that he spent many a night sea sick on that ship
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Though all amphibs were flat bottomed, Helo-carriers were the best rides on an MAU. The real rock and rollers were the LST's. They held the am-tracks in their belly and when you deployed, the back would drop down like a ramp and off you went. They LST's were totally stable compared to the am-tracks. Jumped a couple times in rough seas. Guaranteed by the time you hit land, half the helmets would be filled with puke. Between that stench and the diesel fumes floating in, the sealed hatches, sweating your cahoonas off and everyone asshole to elbow (esp my group as we were weapons (even less space) you didn't care what was out side, you just wanted out. I'd rather hump it then go mechanized. Helos were the best slots on a MAU. Ground pounding off the LPDs (third type in a MAU at the time) was next and mech was the suck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. That would have been '92.

This loss was not the crash that you are talking about. This was one were they left the ship and crashed somewhere at sea, unseen.

I just looked it up; we lost five in that crash.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
WSnip.. to keep it short

I didn't so much mind -53s. I'd rather walk than fly on a -46.

View Quote

I liked sea knights, same with stallions. Better rides then hueys though I liked them to. I really don't care to fly except in Helos. I love it. I always took the gunners door. The best one was a flight of brand new Army Helos. Not sure which type now but they had almost a vertical take off and hover. We called them in for a lift. They wanted to show us the ground nav system. They were tree top level doing about 200 knots then dropped right down to the river. Best ride ever. Had the door on that one too. funny, I hate planes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This loss was not the crash that you are talking about. This was one were they left the ship and crashed somewhere at sea, unseen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Being in the service is dangerous even in peacetime. RIP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top