Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No need! They're the exact same! Unless you are some kind of bigot!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My pit bull is the EXACT same as your golden retriever, in behavior and physiology, you ignorant bigot!
Provide a scientifically objective definition of what a pit bull is.

So you can't and have no argument.

Got it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Pardon me, I am not a scientist or anthropologist or any sort, but I have researched breeding chickens, so I think of things in terms of breeds. I guess it's not the best word, it just helps me from getting into the technical jargon of scientists. Perhaps the best word is "subspecies" instead of "race". The only thing I know for sure is that all Homo sapiens are the same species since we have the same general phenotype and can all reproduce. I think we can all agree that "race" is not used for other animals, but for the sake of our discussion it can mean human subspecies.

Anyone who thinks there is only one race is enthusiastically ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How is "genetic distance" quantified.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.uwyo.edu/dbmcd/molmark/lect06/lect6.html

How did we get these Cavalli-Sforza distances? They are simply a geometric view of the distances between multi-dimensional points on a hypersphere (a sphere with > 3 dimensions). Say we have two subpopulations S1 and S2 assayed at a single locus with alleles i = 1 to k.

As I've said before, you can have as many races as you find useful, so the cut-off points depend on what you're trying to accomplish. Just as you may have five or 500 names to describe ranges on the color spectrum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As I've said before, you can have as many races as you find useful, so the cut-off points depend on what you're trying to accomplish. Just as you may have five or 500 names to describe ranges on the color spectrum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How did we get these Cavalli-Sforza distances? They are simply a geometric view of the distances between multi-dimensional points on a hypersphere (a sphere with > 3 dimensions). Say we have two subpopulations S1 and S2 assayed at a single locus with alleles i = 1 to k.

So, the names of races, and colors, are arbitrary.

Huh, almost like I said that earlier in the thread.

Oh wait, I did. "All taxonomy is a social construct".

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Got it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My pit bull is the EXACT same as your golden retriever, in behavior and physiology, you ignorant bigot!
Provide a scientifically objective definition of what a pit bull is.

Got it.

My argument is that my pit bull is the same as any golden retriever! Why is this so hard for you?  I mean, isn't it obvious?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A left leaning geneticist running a PHD program in bioinformatics who studies epigenetics says races are statistically distinct. He also says IQ is heritable.

He doesn't like making these points and is quick to deny their political or social relevance but according to him the groupings are there. They aren't some mathematical artifact. The statistical analysis can be used to make valid predictions.  

I was an applied math major and he wanted me to join his program. He was also my judo sensei. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

This is one of those subjects that unless a guy has PHD after his name I assume he's talking out his ass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
In before shit gets a little too rowdy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the same sense the Linnean taxonomy is a social construct--one that happens to track quite closely with actual evolutionary history, and is a critical foundation of all of biology.

You seem to think you've accomplished something. You haven't. Claiming it's a social construct doesn't mean it's wrong or that it doesn't describe an underlying biological reality.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My argument is that my pit bull is the same as any golden retriever! Why is this so hard for you?  I mean, isn't it obvious?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it.

You are attacking a strawman that no one is saying.  No one is saying there isn't genetic differences between living beings.

What they are saying is the definition of a "breed" or "race" is arbitrary.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No one is saying there isn't genetic differences between living beings.

View Quote

How about genetic differences between groups of people?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depends on the person making the cut-off points.
View Quote

Not if they know what they are talking about.

While there is plenty of clinal human variation, the correct BIOLOGICAL answer is one.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are attacking a strawman that no one is saying.  No one is saying there isn't genetic differences between living beings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

I think that we are in agreement here.  My pitbull, as are any pitbulls, are as good a bird dog as any retriever.  In fact, placing them in groups at all is arbitrary.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm none of those races, I'm Nordic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caucasoid

Negroid

Mongoloid(includes native American)

This. 3

Unfortunately, this is a difficult/guilt ridden/self conscious/ politically uncorrect subject for many.

A less adulterated caucasian.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A left leaning geneticist running a PHD program in bioinformatics who studies epigenetics says races are statistically distinct. He also says IQ is heritable.

He doesn't like making these points and is quick to deny their political or social relevance but according to him the groupings are there. They aren't some mathematical artifact. The statistical analysis can be used to make valid predictions.  

I was an applied math major and he wanted me to join his program. He was also my judo sensei. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

This is one of those subjects that unless a guy has PHD after his name I assume he's talking out his ass.
View Quote

Interesting.

Citation, please.

I would be happy to evaluate his findings.

I won't be talking out of my ass.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In the same sense the Linnean taxonomy is a social construct--one that happens to track quite closely with actual evolutionary history, and is a critical foundation of all of biology.
You seem to think you've accomplished something. You haven't. Claiming it's a social construct doesn't mean it's wrong or that it doesn't describe an underlying biological reality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, it just means that it can be misleading and is not a scientifically objective criteria.
You also seem to think you've accomplished something by having biologists admit something that they know: the genetics of different populations of a different organisms differs.
Wow, how amazing.
Classifying these organism into families, or kingdoms, or races really is arbitrary.
You guys are fighting a strawman of 'stupid scientists think all living things are exactly the same derp derp!'.
Also, the problem with that tree above in the sub species level, identifying which group an individual belongs it depends of separate populations of genetically pure individuals.
Put 10 different breeds in an area and let them breed for 100 years,
you'll be hard pressed to find the genetic "heritage" of the animals.
The 'breeds' of dogs will be gone, probably replaced with a new one.
In 1000 years, it will be damned hard to tell genetically, where people's ancestors came from unless they do not have a diverse ancestry. The 'races' would be destroyed, and replaced with new ones.

The only reason "race" correlates to a meaningful and quantifiable difference in appearance is that we are living early after an the era of significant geographical isolation. Farther down the road, after mixing, "race" will not correlate as well, if at all to your graph if you wait long enough.

The genetic markers will be there, but the "racial phenotypes" will not be.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one is saying there isn't genetic differences between living beings.

No one is saying there isn't that either.

Its a strawman you guys are fighting.

What they are saying is that the lines are arbitrary.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think that we are in agreement here.  My pitbull, as are any pitbulls, are as good a bird dog as any retriever.  In fact, placing them in groups at all is arbitrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it.

No, we aren't in agreement As that is not what I'm  implying at all.

Sorry for your confusion in this matter. I'm not sure I can help you understand what I'm saying...I'm no english or science teacher, and you apparently need one or the other.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its not that no one wants to draw lines, is that we can't draw lines in any scientific meaningful manner that would substantiate the common notion of 'race'.

This isn't political correctness, this is biology.

All divisions above and below the species level are arbitrary.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My classification is not meant to be scientific, which is why it does not fail miserably. It is a rough GUESS. There could be hundreds of breeds, and probably are, but without genetic marker test and stuff, then we can only make very general assumptions. That's why I said I'd love to learn more about human breeds, but we can't do that when no one is allowed to talk about it.

Sure we can. For a hundred bucks you can a genetic test that maps out where your ancestors come from. And those various groupings can have some meaning, like predisposition to disease, etc. A lot of the groupings are related to the timing of certain migrations out of Africa. NONE of which corresponds in a meaningful way to what is commonly known as race.

Or to put it in your terms, it's like saying we aren't allowed to discuss the various classifications of dog breeds when you are trying to say that the meaningful distinctions are the colors of the fur. There are black dogs, and White dogs, and brown dogs, and all white dogs share certain characteristic besides their fur, like size, temperament, likelyhood of heart disease, etc. White Alsatians and White miniature poodles have more in common than a white miniature poodle and a brown standard poodle. The reason you would not be able to have a discussion along those lines is that as soon as you get past the superficial, the "commonalities " evaporate
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You are proving my point. When I say we can't talk about it, I mean politically. Therefore our species isn't studied enough because no one wants to draw any lines between us, but that prevents us from understanding our differences. See what you did was seize on my superficial color description and attack, attack, attack it. I am not an idiot, and know that different color dogs doesn't make them a different breed. But humans aren't dogs, and our sin color usually does relate to our genetic heritage.
Its not that no one wants to draw lines, is that we can't draw lines in any scientific meaningful manner that would substantiate the common notion of 'race'.

How many caucasians do you know who have sickle cell?

How's the AIDS virus distributed, per capita among negroids vs others. (this is largely explained because the black death strengthened a certain cell structure owners among Europeans.)

One would have to be blind to not see the 3 separate and definitive skull structures prevalent among humans.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm just asking from a scientific point and not the governments experiment..
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caucasoid

Negroid

This. 3

Unfortunately, this is a difficult/guilt ridden/self conscious/ politically uncorrect subject for many.

My ancestors haven't been anywhere near the Caucasus.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sorry for your confusion in this matter. I'm not sure I can help you understand what I'm saying...I'm no english or science teacher, and you apparently need one or the other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

I'm guessing ideological liberal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How's the AIDS virus distributed, per capita among negroids vs others. (this is largely explained because the black death strengthened a certain cell structure owners among Europeans.)

One would have to be blind to not see the 3 separate and definitive skull structures prevalent among humans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure we can. For a hundred bucks you can a genetic test that maps out where your ancestors come from. And those various groupings can have some meaning, like predisposition to disease, etc. A lot of the groupings are related to the timing of certain migrations out of Africa. NONE of which corresponds in a meaningful way to what is commonly known as race.

Or to put it in your terms, it's like saying we aren't allowed to discuss the various classifications of dog breeds when you are trying to say that the meaningful distinctions are the colors of the fur. There are black dogs, and White dogs, and brown dogs, and all white dogs share certain characteristic besides their fur, like size, temperament, likelyhood of heart disease, etc. White Alsatians and White miniature poodles have more in common than a white miniature poodle and a brown standard poodle. The reason you would not be able to have a discussion along those lines is that as soon as you get past the superficial, the "commonalities " evaporate

You are proving my point. When I say we can't talk about it, I mean politically. Therefore our species isn't studied enough because no one wants to draw any lines between us, but that prevents us from understanding our differences. See what you did was seize on my superficial color description and attack, attack, attack it. I am not an idiot, and know that different color dogs doesn't make them a different breed. But humans aren't dogs, and our sin color usually does relate to our genetic heritage.

How many scientists do you know that have claimed there aren't genetic differences among human populations?

Which one of those things that you described is the objective classification of race?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Interesting.

Citation, please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

Citation, please.

What have you published? I'll send him a chat and see if he's heard of you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Caucasoid

Negroid

This. 3

No no no.  The Caucasus are at the longitude of the dividing line.  You are a Cauceuro.  People east of the Caucasus are Caucasians.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, just someone who understands science.

Sorry that your foolish assumptions have made you draw horribly incorrect conclusions.

Be careful, make sure that type of thinking doesn't carry over into other aspects of your life!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My classification is not meant to be scientific, which is why it does not fail miserably. It is a rough GUESS. There could be hundreds of breeds, and probably are, but without genetic marker test and stuff, then we can only make very general assumptions. That's why I said I'd love to learn more about human breeds, but we can't do that when no one is allowed to talk about it.

LOL.  

If my left nut was twice the size of your right nut, would that make us different races?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Negroid  (Congoid)
Caucasoid (Europid)
Mongoloid

based off hair shaft cross section.  Flat, oval, round, respectively.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No no no.  The Caucasus are at the longitude of the dividing line.  You are a Cauceuro.  People east of the Caucasus are Caucasians.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

Citation, please.

He hasn't heard of me. He's not in my field and I fled academia long ago.

How about you just tell me and everyone else who this guy is so we can judge for ourselves?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a pretty pathetic dodge. Either you can cite the claim or you can't. If you can cite it, many of us here are interested to see the papers.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sorry that your foolish assumptions have made you draw horribly incorrect conclusions.

Be careful, make sure that type of thinking doesn't carry over into other aspects of your life!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You  claimed that any definition or grouping of race or breed is arbitrary.  I merely agreed. Pitbulls = retrievers.  Groupings are arbitrary.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interesting.

Citation, please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

Citation, please.

Assuming you are talking about "races are statistically distinct.", what is interesting about it?
Serious question.
Seems like a "how could it be any other way" issue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's not.  Do you think a chiwawa is the same as a sheep dog in behavior and physiology?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hemoglobinopathies and similar traits aren't a very good argument for race. The HbS gene is found in Africans, Indians, Middle Easterners, and Turkey, Greece, etc. Likewise the thalassemias-- alpha-thalassemia is seen in Africans and East Asians. HbS is probably more instructive, though, since it is a single, well-known mutation (Glu6Val on the Hb beta-chain) whereas the thalassemias cme about due to a number of different mutations.

Distribution of HIV likely has a lot more to do with cultural practices than genetics.

I understand what you're saying about skull morphology, but those lines become very blurred in many places. Somalia, Madagascar, PNG-- all places full of people whose skulls don't look like what you'd expect based on a cut and dry three-race model (and whose lineages are reasonably old unlike, for example, Brazil).

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You  claimed that any definition or grouping of race or breed is arbitrary.  I merely agreed. Pitbulls = retrievers.  Groupings are arbitrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did, and that statement does not imply, in any way the statement in red.
Sorry for your confusion. I'm starting to think english IS the reason you are having a problem understanding.
Serious question: Is it your second language? If so, I'd like to comment you on how well you are doing! Stick with it!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No, it's not.  Do you think a chiwawa is the same as a sheep dog in behavior and physiology?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your race clearly lost the sarcasm gene at some point
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's a pretty pathetic dodge. Either you can cite the claim or you can't. If you can cite it, many of us here are interested to see the papers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't cite any claim or claims. I was just telling you what dude said. I thought maybe you and him could argue it out.  

I'm sure as hell not putting his name out on a public forum though. That guy's black in several martial arts.

Also I'm not going to waste his or my time if you're just some internet blowhard.

ETA: Tell you what, you send me a citation from population genetics that shows racial groups don't exist and I'll ask him what he thinks of it. I'll probably see him in class this Tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Negroid  (Congoid)
Caucasoid (Europid)
Mongoloid

View Quote

This is not that much different from my rough guess. However, it is probably just as arbitrary.

My main point is that if I wanted to read about the classification of different subspecies of rats or trees or any other plant/animal, then that I formation would be common knowledge immediately available to anyone interested. It would be uncontested because it is science. Yet the most important and interesting animal of all--humans--have not successfully been classified in a standard and acceptable scientific way, and it is a highly contestable topic, when it should not be. Our differences should be celebrated.  We've made progress by using genetic testing, but we had (mostly) accurate classifications of plants and animals before genes were ever even discovered (like in the 1800's). Weird huh?

The reason we cannot agree is because its so difficult not to be subjective when you are literally the subject being analyzed. I'm sure if aliens came to Earth the first thing they'd do is categorize the human species. Until then, I am "white", which is a pretty pathetic grouping!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't cite any claim or claims. I was just telling you what dude said. I thought maybe you and him could argue it out.  

I'm sure as hell not putting his name out on a public forum though. That guy's black in several martial arts.

Also I'm not going to waste his or my time if you're just some internet blowhard.
View Quote

I think you're confusing me with someone else in this thread. I simply asked for the cite.

I'm genuinely interested in the issue. If the guy is published he's already put his name out there.

Here, I'll help you with his anonymity. Search at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ for one of his papers on the topic, then link it in this thread. 99% chance he's one of at least three authors on the paper, so nothing will identify him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This is not that much different from my rough guess. However, it is probably just as arbitrary.
My main point is that if I wanted to read about the classification of different subspecies of rats or trees or any other plant/animal, then that I formation would be common knowledge immediately available to anyone interested. It would be uncontested because it is science. Yet the most important and interesting animal of all--humans--have not successfully been classified in a standard and acceptable scientific way, and it is a highly contestable topic, when it should not be. Our differences should be celebrated.  We've made progress by using genetic testing, but we had (mostly) accurate classifications of plants and animals before genes were ever even discovered (like in the 1800's).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negroid  (Congoid)

Caucasoid (Europid)

Mongoloid

My main point is that if I wanted to read about the classification of different subspecies of rats or trees or any other plant/animal, then that I formation would be common knowledge immediately available to anyone interested. It would be uncontested because it is science. Yet the most important and interesting animal of all--humans--have not successfully been classified in a standard and acceptable scientific way, and it is a highly contestable topic, when it should not be. Our differences should be celebrated.  We've made progress by using genetic testing, but we had (mostly) accurate classifications of plants and animals before genes were ever even discovered (like in the 1800's).
Bullshit. Science argues constantly about these types of classifications. People get into heated discussions over these types of deffinitions of words, personal rivalries form, etc.
While not a biologist, I've been in a committee meeting that was discussing the definition of "damage" in the context of a model, and people were arguing to the point of raising their voices.

There is an entire chapter in moby dick arguing that whale are fish.

Purse swinging over arbitrary definitions is what taxonomy is about. Genetics has helped settle some disputes, but it doesn't solve all of them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope, not going there...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think you're confusing me with someone else in this thread. I simply asked for the cite.

I'm genuinely interested in the issue. If the guy is published he's already put his name out there.

Here, I'll help you with his anonymity. Search at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ for one of his papers on the topic, then link it in this thread. 99% chance he's one of at least three authors on the paper, so nothing will identify him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'll look but I sure as hell don't want that guy pissed at me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ETA: Tell you what, you send me a citation from population genetics that shows racial groups don't exist and I'll ask him what he thinks of it. I'll probably see him in class this Tuesday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Science argues constantly about these types of classifications. People get into heated discussions over these types of deffinitions of words, personal rivalries form, etc.

While not a biologist, I've been in a committee meeting that was discussing the definition of "damage" in the context of a model, and people were arguing to the point of raising their voices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negroid  (Congoid)
Caucasoid (Europid)
Mongoloid

Some argument is part of science. I studied cactus extensively for a few years. They used to argue over what different species and subspecies were, because they used to base classifications on the ability to fertilize. Several cactus had to be reclassified after genetic testing. These days genetic testing pretty much settles all arguments. But with humans I still haven't heard of any consensus--maybe there is a consensus, and just no one wants to talk about it. I'm still waiting to see a link with the answer to OP's question though...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm just asking from a scientific point and not the governments experiment..
View Quote

depends on the scientist who is answering the question

some claim race is a social contstruct.

some claim there are only 3 (negroid, caucasoid, mongoloid)

some claim there are only 4 (add australoid to the list above)

some claim there are a lot of races

From the genetic evidence,  I think the best number is 4, but reality is a lot more fluid  than our attempts to put people in boxes.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Some argument is part of science. I studied cactus extensively for a few years. They used to argue over what different species and subspecies were, because they used to base classifications on the ability to fertilize. Several cactus had to be reclassified after genetic testing. These days genetic testing pretty much settles all arguments. But with humans I still haven't heard of any consensus--maybe there is a consensus, and just no one wants to talk about it. I'm still waiting to see a link with the answer to OP's question...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negroid  (Congoid)

Caucasoid (Europid)

Mongoloid

Some argument is part of science. I studied cactus extensively for a few years. They used to argue over what different species and subspecies were, because they used to base classifications on the ability to fertilize. Several cactus had to be reclassified after genetic testing. These days genetic testing pretty much settles all arguments. But with humans I still haven't heard of any consensus--maybe there is a consensus, and just no one wants to talk about it. I'm still waiting to see a link with the answer to OP's question...
But ebolution is uf da debull!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Add race if you want to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well since no one has been able to come up with a scientific definition of race in this thread that is anything other than arbitrary definition, I'd say they have a point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anthropologists will try to convince you that there are no races.

It is their mantra.
Well since no one has been able to come up with a scientific definition of race in this thread that is anything other than arbitrary definition, I'd say they have a point.

Genetic clustering

If we do away with race, we'll need to come up with another word that we can use to explain racial differences when it comes to medicine.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anthropologists will try to convince you that there are no races.

It is their mantra.
View Quote

Race is a social construct. Anthropologists discuss human genetic differences through the study of population genetics.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#50]
There were many books written on this at one time.  It is no longer fashionable to discus.  What you are seeking is not just the number of races, but of types.  This is where it gets complicated and there are various scientific opinions.  There are for example different types in white Europeans.  Different theories on the Congoids alone can come up with a good variety of competing numbers.  Serious research into this question was turning up some unexpected facts, before it became nonPC.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top