User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So the problem isn't the concept itself, its the terminology.   Just like has been said numerous times in this thread.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the problem isn't the concept itself, its the terminology.   Just like has been said numerous times in this thread.

the core concept--classifying groups according to shared traits for purpose of analysis--is certainly not a problem.  you can classify anything according to any criteria you want.  i don't think anyone in the thread has disputed this point.  

the difficulty is developing robust criteria that can actually differentiate things in the way that we want them to.  if phylogeny is the basis for our taxonomy, the problem is creating categories with the minimum possible overlap, such that, say, convergently evolving taxa are not deceptively lumped into the same category.  or the other way around--by folk taxonomy, obama is black, even though that is a minority of his ancestry.  i have a dear friend who is half sri lankan and half german.  her mother is a goddamn aryan poster girl, but to look at my friend, she's completely south asian.  so do we just create a new file folder for every single individual?  this seems to erode generalizability, which is the entire basis for taxonomy in the first place.

and as i've posted numerous times, the problem is treating the abstract system of classification as something that inheres to actual human beings.  whether or not you agree with me on my overall point, you have to admit that this is a persistent problem with 'race'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

cranially, sapiens traits (parabolic arcade, Y5, formula, spatulate), capacity, prominent SO torus and moderate prognathism.  key trait: occipital bun.  all i remember post-cranially is robusticity, in association with the forgoing.  general 'lines of evidence' inference.

not sure what 'falsity' has to do with what you quoted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
short/medium/tall isn't something we think of as a measure of purity, which is why it's excluded as a racial criterion...

lol

Riddle me this: Before direct genetic research was possible, what made Neandertals identifiably different from the main human ancestors of the same time frame?

Before genetic research became possible, how were Neandertal remains identified?

Did genetic research prove the prior methods of recognizing Neandertal remains false?

cranially, sapiens traits (parabolic arcade, Y5, formula, spatulate), capacity, prominent SO torus and moderate prognathism.  key trait: occipital bun.  all i remember post-cranially is robusticity, in association with the forgoing.  general 'lines of evidence' inference.

not sure what 'falsity' has to do with what you quoted.

... And you do realize that the same criterion (cranial features) were one of the foundations of the antique research you are bashing, right?

There's no question that erroneous conclusions were drawn in the past, but if you wish to bash the research of old, do so on its legitimate faults.

You cannot on one hand accept the criterion used to identify Neandertals and other varieties of human, and at the same time reject the exact same criterion used in other research.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
as to the first, nonsense--height is heritable.  an isolated population of tall individuals is very likely to have increasingly tall offspring.  that's shared genetic history based on founder effect, which seems to be the basis of your conception of race.  
View Quote

Height is a single phenotype that can require very little shared genetic history, or perhaps none at all. Race involves a broad collection of shared genes.

Founder effect is only one aspect of genetic differentiation of populations. There's also genetic drift, and selection pressure based on both environment and social organization. It's probable that hunter-gatherer societies are selecting for different personality criteria than agricultural societies. Sending aggressive criminals to the gallows for a few centuries in an agricultural society because they disturb the peace and make problems has probably changed those populations genetic makeup, while aggressive, nervy guys are probably more valued in hunter-gatherer societies. And, likewise, the genetic makeup of the population is probably affecting the society--the population and society are co-evolving.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

... And you do realize that the same criterion (cranial features) were one of the foundations of the antique research you are bashing, right?

There's no question that erroneous conclusions were drawn in the past, but if you wish to bash the research of old, do so on its legitimate faults.

You cannot on one hand accept the criterion used to identify Neandertals and other varieties of human, and at the same time reject the exact same criterion used in other research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm confused here--what exactly is it that you think i'm bashing?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Race involves a broad collection of shared genes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as to the first, nonsense--height is heritable.  an isolated population of tall individuals is very likely to have increasingly tall offspring.  that's shared genetic history based on founder effect, which seems to be the basis of your conception of race.  

Race involves a broad collection of shared genes.

great--what genetic expressions are to be included in the collection?  IOW, what are the specific criteria by which we establish race?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The research on racial characteristics and their geographic distribution in the last century.

You have implied (or outright stated) repeatedly that the criterion used in that field was baseless or meaningless.

Yet you readily accept one of those same criterion (cranial features) when applied to a different subject of study (humans of 40,000 years ago, rather than this century).

It would be accurate to view the 20th century research on the subject as flawed. But to suggest every criterion they employed was useless in the study of human variety and lineage is silly, and wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One.
View Quote

second post winner!

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

second post winner!

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One.

second post winner!

J-

There's only one breed of dog, too. It's true, trust me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The research on racial characteristics and their geographic distribution in the last century.

You have implied (or outright stated) repeatedly that the criterion used in that field was baseless or meaningless.

Yet you readily accept one of those same criterion (cranial features) when applied to a different subject of study (humans of 40,000 years ago, rather than this century).

It would be accurate to view the 20th century research on the subject as flawed. But to suggest every criterion they employed was useless in the study of human variety and lineage is silly, and wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, then you weren't tracking earlier.  i don't object at all to morphology as a tool of classification--general ancestry of a.m. humans can often be determined from cranial analysis.  and i completely acknowledge that many morphological traits are the result of geographical selection pressure.  no problems there.  and these traits often occur in fluid but somewhat regular constellations, so that's fine too.

what i object to is a rigid typological/categorical distinction between populations using traits that are shared among those populations...especially when the geographical isolation has largely been broken down.  i'll restate the example i used before: the traditional conception of "race" divides people into a hard-copy filing cabinet based on macrostructure, which can be deceptive.  as much as we try to redefine it in order to add nuance, the term is always going to carry the connotation of essential categorical differences.  for most people, obama is always going to be race = negro, regardless of his very mixed ancestry.

i find this to be a persistent problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ok, then you weren't tracking earlier.  i don't object at all to morphology as a tool of classification--general ancestry of a.m. humans can often be determined from cranial analysis.  and i completely acknowledge that many morphological traits are the result of geographical selection pressure.  no problems there.  and these traits often occur in fluid but somewhat regular constellations, so that's fine too.

what i object to is a rigid typological/categorical distinction between populations using traits that are shared among those populations...especially when the geographical isolation has largely been broken down.  i'll restate the example i used before: the traditional conception of "race" divides people into a hard-copy filing cabinet based on macrostructure, which can be deceptive.  as much as we try to redefine it in order to add nuance, the term is always going to carry the connotation of essential categorical differences.  for most people, obama is always going to be race = negro, regardless of his very mixed ancestry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your science boils down to concerns about society and President Obama.

Got it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

if that's what you took away from that post, i guess there isn't much to discuss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One.

second post winner!

J-

Opps read "species" instead of "race."

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

if that's what you took away from that post, i guess there isn't much to discuss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

Please explain how your social concerns fit into the scientific method.

Until you have done so, or demonstrate a separation between your personal bias and actual scientific analysis, why should your commentary carry weight?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Until you have done so, or demonstrate a separation between your personal bias and actual scientific analysis, why should your commentary carry weight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

my concerns are not social--they're terminological and methodological.  play "spot the morphology" on obama's cranium, and the result is african (based on the standard ID criteria).  the problem is that obama is half-nonafrican.  so clearly there's a methodological problem somewhere.  

and as i posted earlier, there's a reason that science doesn't recast the term miasma (even though it can be construed as relevant), nor are personality types still classified into choleric and sanguine (even though these categories are intuitively useful).

these concepts are not difficult to understand.  the fact that you saw the word 'obama' in a race conversation and immediately assumed it was a social point says more about your bias than mine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the second is quite correct.  i have no problem with the concept of phylogenetic taxa, provided that they are recognized as epistemological categories, that is, analytical tools rather than essential properties of organisms.  in evolution threads, we constantly remind creationists that taxonomy is simply a filing cabinet--whether we put an organism in one folder or another makes no actual difference in the properties of the creature under analysis.  but such disclaimers are seldom heard in conversations about biological 'race'.  instead, the folder we place it in is often assumed to be a comprehensive description of the thing.

race divides people into drawers and folders, which is problematic at best.  a relational database approach seems much more appropriate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for example, claiming that humans divide into races of "short", "medium",  and "tall" would be pretty odd, right?  

it's quite possible, quite rational, and can be useful.  but somehow height doesn't seem to work with the concept of race--it doesn't speak to the concept that people are trying to get at with that term.  why not?

Because it doesn't address the idea of a shared genetic history of a group of people, which is at the core of the idea of race.

So your objection is to the use of the term, rather than the underlying concept? That if another term expressing the same idea were used, everything would be fine?

the second is quite correct.  i have no problem with the concept of phylogenetic taxa, provided that they are recognized as epistemological categories, that is, analytical tools rather than essential properties of organisms.  in evolution threads, we constantly remind creationists that taxonomy is simply a filing cabinet--whether we put an organism in one folder or another makes no actual difference in the properties of the creature under analysis.  but such disclaimers are seldom heard in conversations about biological 'race'.  instead, the folder we place it in is often assumed to be a comprehensive description of the thing.

race divides people into drawers and folders, which is problematic at best.  a relational database approach seems much more appropriate.

OK, with the disclaimer I still think it is not a useful exercise to define groups below species in humans and that traditional "races" are social constructs, there are some broad misconceptions here. Taxonomy is at its heart a practical science, not an exact one.

First an isolated group of tall individuals has no expectation of getting taller - either a height or range of heights will be selected for, or they will drift (rapidly in small groups) taller or shorter with equal probability.

Single characters are never useful. An individual character is not used ever - on their own they will likely exhibit homoplasy (convergence or reversals) or may be pleisiomorphic (unchanged from ancestors). When suites of characters are used, synapomorphies which show true relationship and are more likely in general overwhelm homoplasy and show true relationships. Synapomorphies are homologous characters that show changes from the ancestral state that are inherited by the group of decendants produced by the ancestor that had the change (etomologically it means shared derived characters). This can be done with any character set from morph, anatomy, physiology, or DNA. For DNA, simply each position in an aligned set of sequences is a homologous character, and the bases are the states. Each position may exhibit any of the above, but by using parsimony (shortest tree length) or other approaches like Bayesian (spelling?) synapomorphies overwhelm homoplasy. Regardless of what type of character set, choices are made such that the right depth is resolved. Sequences that change rapidly resolve terminal nodes because they generate enough synapomorphies. For deeper nodes, the longer time causes synapomporhies to reverse becoming homoplasy and eventually they become un-alignable and the homology breaks down. Using physical characters the same applies - presence or absence of flowers isn't going to help resolve genera of flowering plants. That is the systematics of it, and today the DNA is the best roadmap by far and away. The DNA isn't "some other class of feature that is less important". It is the most fundamental and inherent aspect of the lineage because it dictates completely the range of phenotypic variation and sets of characters possible. Even though the DNA examined itself isn't the DNA that codes for the particular characters necessarily, it resolves the relationships.

Enter the taxonomist. No taxonomic revisions are being accepted without a phylogeny anymore. It won't get published. You take the phylogeny and someone makes cutoffs and makes the call. Always except in this group. There are many practical considerations - what is useful for identification, what is useful for putting reasonable amounts of variation in containers, what is useful for putting a reasonable # of subspecies in a species or species in genera, etc. Even more practica considerations are coded in the rules - does it cause renaming of a combination that is popularly known and heavily utilized like a wild edible? Again, look at the top level taxonomy - the systemetists know the protists are all over the place and so do the taxonomists - it just isn't practical to place the rest of the groups that are as deep or deeper than the named kingdoms into separate kingdoms.

It just proceeds. Someone makes the cuts. After that, they map out the characters on the phylogeny one at a time and assess where the characters are convergent or not. Synapomorphic characters are now obvious because the topology hasn't been influenced by homoplasy and is dictated by synapomorphies. If you have enough characters you will be able to use them in combinations i.e. like a key. One key difference at the end between two close groups may not be unique or unshared with taxa in other outer groups - you only compare that character if they make the other cuts. This gets published. If you disagree, you publish a dissent with re-anaylsis or based on your own new data. People either accept it or not. Eventually the people who are actually using it coalesce on a standard or they keep using their own versions separately. The ultimate litmus is "what is practical" not "what is perfect".

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
my concerns are not social--they're terminological and methodological.  play "spot the morphology" on obama's cranium, and the result is african (based on the standard ID criteria).  the problem is that obama is half-nonafrican.  so clearly there's a methodological problem somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some traits are genetically dominant, especially in cases where a complete cluster of genes is required to express certain features.

You should know that.

these concepts are not difficult to understand.  the fact that you saw the word 'obama' in a race conversation and immediately assumed it was a social point says more about your bias than mine.

Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations. Amirite?

You brought your personal social concerns into a topic that should be about science. No matter how you attempt repackage that, you have shown that your personal bias is key to the framework of your argument.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fact that you can post a picture and identify them by a unique name means that you have conceded 99% of your argument and are just pissing around about the semantics of what you want to call a unique identifiable genetic group. You can also group them within a larger set of groups, or split them into smaller sub-groups.

If you like you could call them the "Negrito Race," or you could lump them in with Austral-Oceanic peoples as a race, or you could call them the Southern Mindanao Negrito Race, or you could lump them in with other dark people and call them "black," or maybe you're more of a haplogroup sort of guy.

Pick your construct. Be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So they are their own race?

There's a basis for them being a race, yes--they have a shared genetic history and are distinguishable from their neighbors.

Based on what you think you are arguing, how many races are there?  Please go ahead and list them.

I can only assume you've read nothing I've written.

On the contrary, I've read everything you've written.  It's confusing.  You make a case for identifying races, but when pushed to do so, you won't.  Except in this case, you'll say that Negritos are.  So that's one.  What reputable man of science identifies "races" according to your criteria?  Does any reputable man of science, recognize the Negritos as their own distinct race?

The fact that you can post a picture and identify them by a unique name means that you have conceded 99% of your argument and are just pissing around about the semantics of what you want to call a unique identifiable genetic group. You can also group them within a larger set of groups, or split them into smaller sub-groups.

If you like you could call them the "Negrito Race," or you could lump them in with Austral-Oceanic peoples as a race, or you could call them the Southern Mindanao Negrito Race, or you could lump them in with other dark people and call them "black," or maybe you're more of a haplogroup sort of guy.

Pick your construct. Be happy.

Are you talking to me, or mcgredo?
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top