Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2015 7:02:43 PM EDT
President Barack Obama said Friday that police and spies should not be locked out of encrypted smartphones and messaging apps, taking his first public stance in a simmering battle over private communications in the digital age.

Apple, Google and Facebook have introduced encrypted products in the past half year that the companies say they could not unscramble, even if faced with a search warrant. That’s prompted vocal complaints from spy chiefs, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and, this week, British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Obama’s comments came after two days of meetings with Cameron, and with the prime minister at his side.

“If we find evidence of a terrorist plot… and despite having a phone number, despite having a social media address or email address, we can’t penetrate that, that’s a problem,” Obama said. He said he believes Silicon Valley companies also want to solve the problem. “They’re patriots.”
View Quote

But the law that governs these practices is dated and doesn’t mandate tech firms incorporate such features into modern apps. In the post-Edward Snowden era, many technology firms have turned encryption and “zero-knowledge” into marketing buzzwords.

The president on Friday argued there must be a technical way to keep information private, but ensure that police and spies can listen in when a court approves. The Clinton administration fought and lost a similar battle during the 1990s when it pushed for a “clipper chip” that would allow only the government to decrypt scrambled messages.

LINK
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
FBHO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck him in the ass with a sig brace
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Fpni

Freedom is dangerous stuff. Deal with it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Obama: Gov't Shouldn't Be Hampered By Encrypted Communications

Tyrants gonna tyrant, yo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Aka privacy shouldn't be something recognized by government...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes they should, you statist prick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If he truly wants to make our country better ..he would start by making all .gov employee communications open and public..that would stop more illegal shit then anything would.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

“If we find evidence of a terrorist plot… and despite having a phone number, despite having a social media address or email address, we can’t penetrate that, that’s a problem,” Obama said. He said he believes Silicon Valley companies also want to solve the problem. “They’re patriots.”
View Quote

But you're not you statist prick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the patriots in 1776 would be all about keeping their communications secure from the King.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If anyone believes that the NSA is hampered by Google, Facebook or Apple they haven't been paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Well Our Savior and Most Benevolent President for Life Sayed Obama must be right.
I will mail him my house keys immediately, the government might need them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
President Barack Obama said Friday that police and spies should not be locked out of encrypted smartphones and messaging apps, taking his first public stance in a simmering battle over private communications in the digital age.

Apple, Google and Facebook have introduced encrypted products in the past half year that the companies say they could not unscramble, even if faced with a search warrant. That’s prompted vocal complaints from spy chiefs, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and, this week, British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Obama’s comments came after two days of meetings with Cameron, and with the prime minister at his side.

View Quote

But the law that governs these practices is dated and doesn’t mandate tech firms incorporate such features into modern apps. In the post-Edward Snowden era, many technology firms have turned encryption and “zero-knowledge” into marketing buzzwords.

The president on Friday argued there must be a technical way to keep information private, but ensure that police and spies can listen in when a court approves. The Clinton administration fought and lost a similar battle during the 1990s when it pushed for a “clipper chip” that would allow only the government to decrypt scrambled messages.

LINK
View Quote

Motherfucker:  give us Lois Lerner's emails.  Eat shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#15]
About obama's quote:

View Quote

After reading the first part I was like no shit idiot, then the second part I like what's wrong with this motherfker.

Bet yeah I actually read an article earlier about hackers targeting wealthy individuals and encrypting all their files and demanding ransom.  The article basically said the technology the hackers are using cannot be decrypted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
By most transparent administration, he meant YOU would have no privacy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if those that agree with Obama would have agreed if Bush had said that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, he's really going for broke right now.  Every single hot-button issue, he's getting balls deep into them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the patriots in 1776 would be all about keeping their communications secure from the King.
View Quote

I guess that's the point. Can't have the serfs having a eye to getting shed of their .gov chains now can we?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
This statement has made me want to encrypt my phone, regardless of the performance hit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll continue to communicate openly.  And, openly disdain any, and all, local and federal agencies who choose to play these games.  <<shrug>>
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
And its their own fault for not backing up on a removable driver every few weeks.

I have a bunch of nothing on my laptop and I do it.

Free

Quoted:

About obama's quote:
After reading the first part I was like no shit idiot, then the second part I like what's wrong with this motherfker.

Bet yeah I actually read an article earlier about hackers targeting wealthy individuals and encrypting all their files and demanding ransom.  The article basically said the technology the hackers are using cannot be decrypted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

About obama's quote:

"If we find evidence of a terrorist plot… and despite having a phone number, despite having a social media address or email address, we can’t penetrate that, that’s a problem,” Obama said. He said he believes Silicon Valley companies also want to solve the problem. "They’re patriots.”

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lolz
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Decrypt this Bongo:  U O Y  K C U F
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's not the usual sort of strap-on Michelle uses on him.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Everyone should be moving to fully encrypted email as well, PGP isn't that hard to get running, the only problem is most people don't know it exists.

There is currently the capability to encrypt nearly all forms of communication, make it an absolute nightmare to try to decrypt voice calls, SMS/MMS, email, any signal communication. Bury the NSA in encrypted comms.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
In other words, the Kenyan is just parroting what that fucking douche Cameron said a few days ago.

Leading from behind, in the wrong damn direction, as usual.

Time to contribute to some encryption projects...

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The school I work at has 25 Chinese students.
Their facebook pages stay dead for months at a time until they leave China and visit western countries.

You can always tell when they are outside China because almost all of them post that they are outside the "great wall"

We're building our own wall
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Obama: Gov't Shouldn't Be Hampered By Encrypted Communications

Tyrants gonna tyrant, yo.
View Quote

And when he says 'government' he means quite literally himself.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The school I work at has 25 Chinese students.
Their facebook pages stay dead for months at a time until they leave China and visit western countries.

You can always tell when they are outside China because almost all of them post that they are outside the "great wall"

We're building our own wall
View Quote

I'm sure it won't be used to censor information.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#32]
FBHO
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure he feels that way now, but it will be a different story once he is a private citizen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
If Silicon Valley, ISPs and the like weren't on board already, we'd have plenty of commercial solutions for transmission security, full disk encryption for mobile devices, etc. for the end user. But we don't. TrueCrypt is an obvious example of intervention, with Marlinspike's abandoning the Android stuff with no real follow-ons being a more subtle sign. Apple will straight decrypt your phone for .gov if they are asked. Social media? That's not even private to begin with.

In the end, this is a bigger deal for Joe American and his options for privacy than for bad guys. Obama can pretend that the external threat piggy backing on these systems is an insurmountable issue, but I could run a cell securely and effectively without any of it if I weren't lazy. It's no different for the bad guys, and we're already able to watch the lazy ones. Hell, if they want their own capabilities badly enough they can build them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking at his picture, or listening to his voice, is very annoying at best, but to read shit like this latest just makes my blood boil.

Two more years of this asshole.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If Silicon Valley, ISPs and the like weren't on board already, we'd have plenty of commercial solutions for transmission security, full disk encryption for mobile devices, etc. for the end user. But we don't. TrueCrypt is an obvious example of intervention, with Marlinspike's abandoning the Android stuff with no real follow-ons being a more subtle sign. Apple will straight decrypt your phone for .gov if they are asked. Social media? That's not even private to begin with.

In the end, this is a bigger deal for Joe American and his options for privacy than for bad guys. Obama can pretend that the external threat piggy backing on these systems is an insurmountable issue, but I could run a cell securely and effectively without any of it if I weren't lazy. It's no different for the bad guys, and we're already able to watch the lazy ones. Hell, if they want their own capabilities badly enough they can build them.
View Quote

It's the Federal government's country and you do business at their pleasure.  

See lavabit for examples of companies that don't play ball.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#37]
01100110 01100010 01101000 01101111  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If suspending service isn't tantamount to playing ball, I guess. It's different than quietly burning you, for sure, but once they've caved to one form of pressure you never really know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#39]
And those who accept the government subsidy for the Obamacare agree to waive any encryption rights......it's in the fine print......soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I firmly believe they have the root certs for most pki encryption.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And those who accept the government subsidy for the Obamacare agree to waive any encryption rights......it's in the fine print......soon.
View Quote

TANSTAAFL
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

TANSTAAFL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TANSTAAFL

True enough.

The goal, unfortunately, is for the only choice in healthcare to be the government choice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

LINK
View Quote

In the end the clipper chip proved irrelevant, as did obtaining individual search warrants.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, yeah. Fuck freedoms 'cause reasons...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#45]
The president on Friday argued there must be a technical way to keep information private, but ensure that police and spies can listen in when a court approves.
View Quote

And make it one executive order away from declaring court approval is no longer necessary and bam, privacy is gone for all, period, which is no doubt where this is headed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, yeah. Fuck freedoms 'cause reasons...
View Quote

I'd guesstimate less than 1/3 of Americans really care about individual liberty.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looking at his picture, or listening to his voice, is very annoying at best, but to read shit like this latest just makes my blood boil.

Two more years of this asshole.
View Quote

You know. I've never hated anyone in my life. Never. Not the ex. Not dictators of other lands. Not dumbass family members. Nobody.

I hate this fucker with a passion that if materialized could melt diamonds.

Fuck that fucking fucker right to hell.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh really?

FBHO!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
01100110 01100010 01101000 01101111  
View Quote

Here comes your audit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top