Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
will they take glock +2 extensions? That's all I run, or Arredondo +6 extensions.

they need to make a 20-round mag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot Glocks almost exclusively and really have to agree with you.  The G3 G19s will rub a blister on my middle finger after a couple hundred rounds.  It's an easy fix, but no pistol is perfect.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't shoot a glock got shit. I had a 19 for a short time. The forced position of the grip doesn't work for me. Meaning I don't like the finger grooves. Now if I could find a gen 2 at a good price, I'd probably buy it just to buy Magpul mags for it. Therefore, I'll continue to buy Springfield whose mags I can get on sale for right at $20.

I've often heard this, and when I put shooters under the microscope more often than not there is no problem, except in the head of the shooter.

Not saying this is the case with you, I am saying that this is probably the case if you are shooting other guns - 1911s, XDs, HK, Beretta, SIG, BHP without issues.

The differences in contemporary handguns are not so great (or even noticeable) where someone can shoot a 1911 ok and not be able to shoot a Glock proficiently.

I just don't like the forced finger placement with the grooves in the grip. It's just not where my hand naturally falls when picking it up. I would find my fingers to be resting on the tips of the groove versus the valley.
I shoot Glocks almost exclusively and really have to agree with you.  The G3 G19s will rub a blister on my middle finger after a couple hundred rounds.  It's an easy fix, but no pistol is perfect.  

Dremels make dreams come true when it comes to Glocks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What if Glock turned to Magpul and contracted their mags as OEM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While you can find deals and get factory mags for $20, most stores carry them for $30-$40. Imagine how many people will buy P-Mags at Cabelas when they're a few feet away from their regular price factory mags. They'll  definitely have the "fuck it, why not" appeal that will have them flying off the shelf. Glock might even drop their price on their pistols and only include one mag. They also might cut mag production if they're being undercut by Magpul. I'm curious to see what happens now too.

Speculation is fun isn't it?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yup. I've been wanting to build a G17-type gun for a while, I just can't get over the grip angle. Buddy of mine handed me his reduced G22 he swears is the same angle as a 1911, and it's still an unnatural draw. If Glock offered a frame like the Robar Tri-grip I wouldn't even consider bothering with the LW frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another part bringing me closer to my dream of a Glock using no OEM parts.

Unity slide, Lonewolf frame, ZEV internals, and now magpul mags.

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/zDuphi3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QsHbEqe.jpg

I really cannot stand Glocks due to the grip angle and Glock people, but recognized reliability, simplicity, and that parts were available for them everywhere. I made this with as few parts possible. I'll probably sell my factory mags for Magpul just so I can keep factory parts out of it.

Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame and slide, storm lake barrel, mix of internals, Storm Lake barrel, and Dawson Precision sights front and rear.

Yup. I've been wanting to build a G17-type gun for a while, I just can't get over the grip angle. Buddy of mine handed me his reduced G22 he swears is the same angle as a 1911, and it's still an unnatural draw. If Glock offered a frame like the Robar Tri-grip I wouldn't even consider bothering with the LW frame.

people that have that issue seem to be those that have lots of time behind a 1911.  muscle memory takes over and if you're used to the flat backstrap of a 1911, your hand will fight the palm swell of a glock.  for new shooters or those used to other types of handguns, the glocks tend to point very naturally

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
will they take glock +2 extensions? That's all I run, or Arredondo +6 extensions.

they need to make a 20-round mag.
View Quote

I doubt they'll be compatible, but I can easily see there being multiple capacity options to follow.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

people that have that issue seem to be those that have lots of time behind a 1911.  muscle memory takes over and if you're used to the flat backstrap of a 1911, your hand will fight the palm swell of a glock.  for new shooters or those used to other types of handguns, the glocks tend to point very naturally

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.

Like this?

I really cannot stand Glocks due to the grip angle and Glock people, but recognized reliability, simplicity, and that parts were available for them everywhere. I made this with as few parts possible. I'll probably sell my factory mags for Magpul just so I can keep factory parts out of it.

Lone Wolf Timberwolf frame and slide, storm lake barrel, mix of internals, Storm Lake barrel, and Dawson Precision sights front and rear.

NO.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't think Magpul will make mags for guns that take metal mags.
View Quote

... you mean like AR15 and AR10?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 33 round Glock mags are goofy long. A 20-22 rounder may hit the sweet spot, if it had a built in grip extension type deal on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They need to make 20-30 round glock mags

The 33 round Glock mags are goofy long. A 20-22 rounder may hit the sweet spot, if it had a built in grip extension type deal on it.
You know they make extensions, right?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While you can find deals and get factory mags for $20, most stores carry them for $30-$40. Imagine how many people will buy P-Mags at Cabelas when they're a few feet away from their regular price factory mags. They'll  definitely have the "fuck it, why not" appeal that will have them flying off the shelf. Glock might even drop their price on their pistols and only include one mag. They also might cut mag production if they're being undercut by Magpul. I'm curious to see what happens now too.

What if Glock made 1911s and Colt made Glocks?

Mind blown yet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
nevermind....
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handguns
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nothing but Glock OEM for my Glocks, no reason to change.  Magpul has some great stuff but mags for Glocks don't appeal to me
View Quote

Do you prefer colt mags over pmags?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

NO.

http://www.glovesandclover.com/1911/pistol-angles.jpg

I have arched mainspring housings in most of my 1911s and they point about the same for me as my Glocks. <shrug>
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If they turn out to be reliable, and less than $10, this might make me FINALLY get off my ass and buy a Glock 17.. I like the pistol (I've had my friends Gen 4 for a few months and have shot it quite a bit), I just don't need one.. but it would be fun to have a pistol and 30 magazines so I can make a range trip and never have to load a single mag at the bench.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing but Glock OEM for my Glocks, no reason to change.  Magpul has some great stuff but mags for Glocks don't appeal to me

Many knowledgeable shooters do, and I would not argue with them.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

NO.

Even though they are at the same grip angle but Glock doesn't have a beaver tail making it unnatural. Although a $20 fix goes a long way. (Big 1911 shooter here switching to Glocks)
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll predict that after these sell like gangbusters, a Glock 19 length magazine will not be far behind.

Then my interest will be peaked -- depending on price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

NO.

When that graphic was made how was the placement of the green line determined? eta parallel to front strap?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Handguns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handguns

HK45 takes both metal and polymer ones.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know they suck, right?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think Magpul will make mags for handguns that take metal mags.
View Quote

Who says they won't make polymer versions of metal magazines. Factory glock mags are metal lined and the magpul ones aren't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree.  I had a couple.  Used them a few times, then sold them in the EE.  No regrets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I had a couple.  Used them a few times, then sold them in the EE.  No regrets.

I want them for something else.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mind blown yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind blown yet?

Someone in an HK thread was talking about how MecGar made shit magazines for Sigs (I know, HK....weird de-rail) and how factory Sig mags were engineering masterpieces  Then someone informed him MecGar = Sig

SethP's post - [http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_29/155392_why_are_the_mags_so_expensive_.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So do AKs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR15s take metal mags.

So do AKs.

I'd say it was a good day.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with everything stated in the OP except for the ergonomics suck and the trigger sucks. I absolutely love the shelf in a glock trigger. I have become accustomed to sitting on the shelf and the solid tactile reset you feel. The trigger pull is not the lightest but it is consistent and works. The ergonomics... depends. I prefer the grip angle of glocks because it allows me to cant my support hand down farther than any other pistol which I have found makes it way more stable and naturally more pointable since your thumb is thrust forward farther.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#26]
After experiencing shitty reliability of non-OEM magazines in my GLOCKs, I'm reluctant to put any magazine in a GLOCK except those made by GLOCK.

That being said, Magpul makes awesome stuff, and competition is never bad for a free market.  I hope the mags are awesome and I hope Magpul makes an assload of $$$ off them.  

Profit is the reward of satisfying another person's need.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Lol the guns and mags could be free. Ammo is where the real cost is. Well unless you don't shoot much
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Glock has had an edge on competition ever since it burst on the scene.

View Quote

Well, they certainly did establish an edge in a few categories:

AD/ND's
Kabooms
Front sights that fall off
Getting people to drink the koolaid

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

AD/ND's
Kabooms
Front sights that fall off and plunger tubes

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock has had an edge on competition ever since it burst on the scene.

AD/ND's
Kabooms
Front sights that fall off and plunger tubes

Same could be said about 1911's
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I agree with everything stated in the OP except for the ergonomics suck and the trigger sucks. I absolutely love the shelf in a glock trigger. I have become accustomed to sitting on the shelf and the solid tactile reset you feel. The trigger pull is not the lightest but it is consistent and works. The ergonomics... depends. I prefer the grip angle of glocks because it allows me to cant my support hand down farther than any other pistol which I have found makes it way more stable and naturally more pointable since your thumb is thrust forward farther.
View Quote

And you can make the trigger as light as you want for like 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't understand people freaking out over this. Yea it's cool but Jesus how many mags do u buy? Even if you buy 10 you save like 100 bucks over Oem. That's not even 1 range trip for me. I love glock but damn this isn't
THAT cool. I'm scared for when the single stack 9 or carbine comes out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Glock oem mags are cheap. Now magpul is making slightly cheaper mags. Ok.

Isn't the ammo still the most expensive part of a gun by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Will they break like my first (and only) magpul AR mag?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:15:52 AM EDT
[#34]
why do people think saving a few dollars will be any kind of "game changer"?
VP9 sells a few hundred dollars less than expected, that's what qualifies as a game changer
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't understand people freaking out over this. Yea it's cool but Jesus how many mags do u buy? Even if you buy 10 you save like 100 bucks over Oem. That's not even 1 range trip for me. I love glock but damn this isn't
THAT cool. I'm scared for when the single stack 9 or carbine comes out.
View Quote

During the last panic regular Pmags were going for $100 a piece. Glock OEM were all over but around$75 and up . Point is from an investment stand point it's has much better margins. Of course depends on reliability.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:32:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
View Quote

QFT

87% of operators operate with the magazines that came with their tier 1 purchase
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
let's see some 1911 mags from magpul... i want heads to explode...
View Quote

If they made reliable 170mm length 9mm for STI/SV Open guns that held about 30-31 rds, and fit in the USPSA mag guage, they would sell plenty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also cost more than the magazine!  How does a small amount of plastic from Arredondo cost $40 while the magazine it goes on costs $20?  And then you have issues with followers hanging up in the mag tube, since it isn't continuous anymore.  A unibody high capacity mag would be better than an extended base pad, and net-net cheaper overall.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
View Quote
THIS

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP has a low threshold for game changing.
View Quote

LOL my thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow....then the single stack 9mm  magazines will really be inexpensive!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Personally, I hope this is a precursor to other offerings.

Like poly M&P magazines.

And I'll even go so far as to say I could tolerate the loss of a round or two if they could pump them out for $10 a piece.
View Quote

According to my scientific observations, there appears to be plenty of room for thicker feed lips, but we will probably lose a round or two to thicker walls.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Antigunners are attacking magazines.

You need enough to last three lifetimes. Maybe more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh. Factory mags work great, they are very durable are utterly reliable. A dozen and a few spares will last a loooooooong time.

Antigunners are attacking magazines.

You need enough to last three lifetimes. Maybe more.

Half a lifetime. The cost of diy manufacturing is falling fast.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#44]
This interests me because I'm a miser and I like the idea of a reliable, quality magazine for my G17/19 that's $12 or so instead of $27-$34 depending on the vendor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:59:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Not bad...though it'd be great one day if handguns based off military models accepted a common magazine. Ignoring those with extreme grip angles/unconventional mag releases, it could definitely be done and make things easier supply chain-wise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#46]

The shape/angle of the backstrap is the deciding factor and that poor diagram ignores it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This should be bolded and highlighted. 87% isn't far off, and it may he higher than that.

At the shop that I work at, I see about 80-150 pistols sold a week. I would say that only about ten of those people who purchase pistols care about extra magazines. I've told people that a used pistol comes with 3-5 spare magazines before, and they have told me they don't need more than one, and they want a discount because they don't want spare magazines.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This should be bolded and highlighted. 87% isn't far off, and it may he higher than that.

At the shop that I work at, I see about 80-150 pistols sold a week. I would say that only about ten of those people who purchase pistols care about extra magazines. I've told people that a used pistol comes with 3-5 spare magazines before, and they have told me they don't need more than one, and they want a discount because they don't want spare magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think these might play a role in it to:

1) Mags are cheaper online. Buying a gun online requires shipping + FFL fees and you can't see it in person. Mags? No real reason not to get those online.
2) Maybe they have a bunch of mags already? Maybe they're on their 2-4th model of the same handgun, and they already have a stash of mags.

That being said, I do agree that most people only have a few mags. For target shooting you don't need more than 8 or so mags. Obviously, having a lot of mags is a good thing though. But for most people who only shoot a bit, it doesn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I really wish they would have come out with M&P mags. $30 a mag is
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

1) Mags are cheaper online. Buying a gun online requires shipping + FFL fees and you can't see it in person. Mags? No real reason not to get those online.
2) Maybe they have a bunch of mags already? Maybe they're on their 2-4th model of the same handgun, and they already have a stash of mags.

That being said, I do agree that most people only have a few mags. For target shooting you don't need more than 8 or so mags. Obviously, having a lot of mags is a good thing though. But for most people who only shoot a bit, it doesn't make much sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I have found is that most of the public that buys guns do not think that they will need spare magazines, or have the desire to get spare magazines. I would say that maybe 5% of all people who buy pistols say that they are going to order more magazines online. But for the most part, one spare mag is enough for the general public.

Hell, I was amazed to see how many Ruger products are sold when I started working in firearms sales. Going by Arfcom I would have never dreamed it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top