Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/10/2015 7:39:12 PM EDT
For XMas I got a new 3d printer and have been trying to print out all kinds of gun related items.  So far I've printed grips, mag releases and a Glock slide cover.  I uploaded the designs to thingiverse (user printed firearm) and also just started a new blog to share the designs.  

Do you guys have any good ideas gun related items I should print?  If you want you can check out my blog to see what I have already done www.printedfirearm.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Post pic's here!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are printed grips on my CZ 75 SP01 Tactical
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
about how much was the printer? is it easy to use for a beginer?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool...
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Great stuff - the chamber flags in particular are a good idea.

How about dummy training rounds? If your printer can do ABS they might be able to stand up to a few cycles of ejection/etc before they're torn up. Would be worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
So much for MIM......
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a guy on rimfirecentral.com who printed otherwise unavailable Izhmash Biathlon rifle magazines in .22WMR.  I have 2 of them!  I searched from one end of the Internet to the other and found nothing until this guy announced he was going to print them!

Link

Pretty neat project!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
about how much was the printer? is it easy to use for a beginer?
View Quote

I got an XYZ 1.0 printer for $400.  The printer is pretty straight forward and not much more difficult to use then a normal PC paper printer.  The hard part is finding or creating the CAD/STL design files to print.  That is the purpose of my website to make it easier to find and share 3d printed gun related items.  If you're just looking for general things to print thingiverse has a bunch but they will pull gun designs from their site
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Please school me because I know nothing about 3D printing.

Could you print replica firearms? I would like to have some replicas to hang behind my bar just for show.

Could it be done and what would it cost?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please school me because I know nothing about 3D printing.

Could you print replica firearms? I would like to have some replicas to hang behind my bar just for show.

Could it be done and what would it cost?

Thanks....
View Quote

Jms92 it can absolutely be done.  The question is what gun do you want?   Cost depends on material used, a roll of ABS costs $20-30 depending on brand and is 240meters of plastic.  I can print grips like the one above and they take about 20meters of plastic (10 for each side) so they cost around 2 bucks.  Now you send that same design to a site like shapeways that will do the printing for you and they will charge anywhere from $25-50.  The other issue is size,  you will likely need to print in multiple parts since your typical consumer printer can only print objects under a foot cubed.  If your seriously interested you can message me what type of replicas you had in mind and i could try and see how much they would cost me to make for you.  I'll print them at cost just so I get the challenge of trying it.  Here is are some pictures of printed replica 1911s.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
got a link to the stl on the cut away?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
got a link to the stl on the cut away?
View Quote

sorry no link but i do know it was from http://www.veritek.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
2 shell holder

strap on rail

throw lever

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
that throw lever is awesome do you have a design for that?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How about dummy training rounds? If your printer can do ABS they might be able to stand up to a few cycles of ejection/etc before they're torn up. Would be worth it IMO.
View Quote

The snap caps are a great idea! I have a 22lr SW revolver that snap caps would be great for, thanks for the idea!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
just added a new post on Glock Magazine Base pads:http://www.printedfirearm.com/2015/01/glock-26-magazine-floor-plate/

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Use the yellow plastic drywall screw anchors, they're cheap and perfect for rimfire guns.

There are very few firearm parts made by current printing methods that I would buy.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't make something to try, but I'm not going to buy anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The snap caps are a great idea! I have a 22lr SW revolver that snap caps would be great for, thanks for the idea!

Use the yellow plastic drywall screw anchors, they're cheap and perfect for rimfire guns.

There are very few firearm parts made by current printing methods that I would buy.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't make something to try, but I'm not going to buy anything.

Good idea on the drywall anchors but I still think ill try printing some out for my other caliber guns
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you print anime figures??

My daughter draws the anime stuff like it came of a copying machine

She's really good at it.

I want to get her into painting some figures and use the money to help

Pay for her cheerleading trips
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to see a 3D printed receiver for the CETME L kits that were just imported. I bet there is a market for 3D printed receivers for all of the parts kits that have been imported over the years. Just think of how nice of a dummy gun they would make.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you print anime figures??

My daughter draws the anime stuff like it came of a copying machine

She's really good at it.

I want to get her into painting some figures and use the money to help
Pay for her cheerleading trips
View Quote

you can print anything! check out thingiverse to see thousands of free designs
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would like to see a 3D printed receiver for the CETME L kits that were just imported. I bet there is a market for 3D printed receivers for all of the parts kits that have been imported over the years. Just think of how nice of a dummy gun they would make.
View Quote

Use 3D printer to make slightly oversize pattern.  "Scale" function in most any CAD program.

Use oversize pattern to make silicone rubber mold halves for a "master" mold.

Use Master mold to make many pattern copies out of castable wax or resin.

Use pattern copies to cast aluminum receivers.

???

Fuck the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 3 new items/posts coming today and the first one is already up :)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#25]
How tough (durable) is a printed part?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:49:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How tough (durable) is a printed part?
View Quote

using fdm, it depends on the axis that you print at along with a ton of other fun details (layer height, temperature, head speed, etc.)

There are alot of material options available now but as far as durability goes, it depends on the size of the item and your application. Otherwise, it's as strong as any other plastic part as your pressure points are perpendicular to the layers.

Its very easy to outpace yourself and print a ton of trinkets. It's a completely different art when you want to print something useable.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's a model I drew. It isn't perfect.

I drew everything but the springs and grips. It was created in Solidworks

The only thing I printed for guns is a wrench. I haven't published it, but there is a picture in the Secret Santa thread(pg 15). Later versions were smoother on the edges and had letters debossed on the spherical portion on the rear.

Where is a good place to publish/upload such a thing.

Do you have the file for the CZ grips?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's a model I drew. It isn't perfect.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/FrozInAK/explodedframe_zpsacee7b0e.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/FrozInAK/right_zpsad951e23.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/FrozInAK/slideexploded_zps74e81d55.jpg

I drew everything but the springs and grips. It was created in Solidworks

The only thing I printed for guns is a wrench. I haven't published it, but there is a picture in the Secret Santa thread(pg 15). Later versions were smoother on the edges and had letters debossed on the spherical portion on the rear.

Where is a good place to publish/upload such a thing.

Do you have the file for the CZ grips?
View Quote

FrozinAK you can find the CZ grips file on my blog or thingiverse page www.printedfirearm.com  

Thingiverse would be a great place to post your wrench or any other design.  Also if you didn't want to create an account you could send it to me and I could post it on my thingiverse page for you. PM me if you want to go that route and ill send you my email.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#29]
posted a new gopro mount
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I didn't see the grips on your page, but I found them elsewhere.

There is some stink regarding Thingiverse patenting users uploads. I uploaded my file anyways since it isn't revolutionary.

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/05/28/makerbot-become-takerbot/

The color of the text is really light and hard to read when typing in the comment box on your page.

I uploaded the wrench and sent it to your site.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#31]
http://grabcad.com/library/ruger-10-22-weldable-receiver

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Let's see your Charon.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't see the grips on your page, but I found them elsewhere.

There is some stink regarding Thingiverse patenting users uploads. I uploaded my file anyways since it isn't revolutionary.

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/05/28/makerbot-become-takerbot/

The color of the text is really light and hard to read when typing in the comment box on your page.

I uploaded the wrench and sent it to your site.

View Quote

got your message thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
more new posts today
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Level mount

Offset switch mount that slides onto XTM rail cover
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/DDCFE246-F242-4580-89E3-F81206516224-4222-000008299092E364_zps698f83c7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/DDCFE246-F242-4580-89E3-F81206516224-4222-000008299092E364_zps698f83c7.jpg</a>

Level mount

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/8E12EF06-D142-44D8-B0C7-248BCC2AC3A5-837-000000B28E0F6AA5_zps51108df6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/8E12EF06-D142-44D8-B0C7-248BCC2AC3A5-837-000000B28E0F6AA5_zps51108df6.jpg</a>

Offset switch mount that slides onto XTM rail cover
View Quote

RUM do you have the files posted somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#39]
more designs posted to my thingiverse account
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#40]
cz grips now up on printedfirearm.com
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#41]
If I had a 3D printer, I'd do a extended mag-release protector for my Crossbreed CZ75 holster.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#42]
OK - You guys are getting me kinda interested in this.

How hard is it to program?

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is all different levels tinker cad is a free online software that is pretty easy to use.  Also there are millions of designs you can download from the internet and just click print
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Just added GI Magazine belt clips http://www.printedfirearm.com

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's easy . . .

I have a Makerbot mini at work so I just draw the parts in solid works, save the file as an STL, upload it to makerbot desktop, move/scale in the program, and press print.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's easy . . .

I have a Makerbot mini at work so I just draw the parts in solid works, save the file as an STL, upload it to makerbot desktop, move/scale in the program, and press print.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy . . .

57fairlane how do you like the makerbot mini?  From what I've read its pretty pricy but is super easy to use.  I have the XYZ da Vinci 1.0 which was only $400 and the build volume allows me to print lowers if i wanted to which is nice
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

57fairlane how do you like the makerbot mini?  From what I've read its pretty pricy but is super easy to use.  I have the XYZ da Vinci 1.0 which was only $400 and the build volume allows me to print lowers if i wanted to which is nice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy . . .

I would put it as decent.  The tolerances seem to be within .010" or so which is great for ergonomics and aesthetic value and can be sanded/filed to get parts to actually work.

I've also printed holes as the minor diameter size of threads and the plastic can be tapped no problem.

The mini can only do a 4.75" cube so lowers are out for me but the parts I've done at work (for the most part) are smaller than the size limitations so its been fine.

We bought it to see if we could use it enough to justify a higher end model with better resolution and there's only been one day in the past 2 weeks that I haven't had it running.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#48]
what are you printing that need tapping?  Flashhiders?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  what are you printing that need tapping?  Flashhiders?
View Quote

Flashhiders out of plastic?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  what are you printing that need tapping?  Flashhiders?

butt stocks out of legos??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top