Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 158
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

martin's statement that the end would be 'bittersweet' is suggestive of a "death = new beginning" event.  azor ahai quenching lightbringer is an obvious thought, but that's only a 'fire' component.  and i'm starting to wonder if R+L=J--where J is the song--might be misdirection.  we have a bunch of resurrections via r'hllor (associated with fire), but the white walkers are also necromancers, and we've seen inklings that they aren't some kind of unadulterated evil (like zombies).  

so it seems like any climax isn't just going to be the unveiling of parentage, but an engagement between these two 'supernatural' entities.  and a satisfying conclusion has to be a dialectical synthesis of the two, a la yin/yang perhaps.  here's where it goes sideways, because dany has had what amounts to direct intercourse with fire (the unburnt).  jon hasn't had the equivalent with ice.  we assume that melisandre is going to revive jon, but if she does, then jon is kinda fire also.  so i'm starting to wonder if it might not be the white walkers who revive him somehow (via benjen/coldhands).

i'm kinda wandering around here, thinking out loud.  seems to me that we know certain things that have to happen to bring the story to a conclusion, the only question is who does them, and who is standing at the end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see Jon dying again.

If i may inquire, where do you see him at the end of the story?

Him and Dany ruling the Seven Kingdoms together (or what's left of them) sounds a little too story-book to me.

martin's statement that the end would be 'bittersweet' is suggestive of a "death = new beginning" event.  azor ahai quenching lightbringer is an obvious thought, but that's only a 'fire' component.  and i'm starting to wonder if R+L=J--where J is the song--might be misdirection.  we have a bunch of resurrections via r'hllor (associated with fire), but the white walkers are also necromancers, and we've seen inklings that they aren't some kind of unadulterated evil (like zombies).  

so it seems like any climax isn't just going to be the unveiling of parentage, but an engagement between these two 'supernatural' entities.  and a satisfying conclusion has to be a dialectical synthesis of the two, a la yin/yang perhaps.  here's where it goes sideways, because dany has had what amounts to direct intercourse with fire (the unburnt).  jon hasn't had the equivalent with ice.  we assume that melisandre is going to revive jon, but if she does, then jon is kinda fire also.  so i'm starting to wonder if it might not be the white walkers who revive him somehow (via benjen/coldhands).

i'm kinda wandering around here, thinking out loud.  seems to me that we know certain things that have to happen to bring the story to a conclusion, the only question is who does them, and who is standing at the end.

dany's "gift" manifested at drogo's funeral pyre.  maybe the fire at the tower wasn't strong enough and his own funeral pyre will be what tempers him?  or based on "cold preserves, fire destroys, unleashes his bad side?  lots of chekhov's guns laying around, it's hard to guess which one he'll pick up
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, we know one thing's for certain.

The show will be pretty much finished up by the time Georgie boy puts out the first copies of Winds of Winter, if he ever does.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
James Faulkner has been cast to play Sam's father Lord Randyll Tarly (terrific casting, IMO).

Samantha Spiro has been cast to play Sam's mother.

Rebecca Benson has been cast to play Sam's sister.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
James Faulkner has been cast to play Sam's father Lord Randyll Tarly (terrific casting, IMO).

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/interview_image/intex/james_faulkner.png

Samantha Spiro has been cast to play Sam's mother.

http://cdn.thedubs-staging.com/images/hamiltonhodell/600x600FFFFFFf/_uploads/userassets/images/spirosamnewpic2.jpg

Rebecca Benson has been cast to play Sam's sister.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/597874431202074625/ArTQMnyu.jpg

View Quote

I can actually see him playing Lord Tarly. Grim, dour, and has the look of "I'm gonna shove this standard up your ass if you don't start being a man."
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
'Game of Thrones' cleaned house at the EMMY Awards setting a record for most emmys won in a single year with 12 (the previous record was 9).

Among the 12 were:

Best Drama

Best Directing

Best Writing

Best Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Did they cast Euron yet?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Did they cast Euron yet?
View Quote
Yes.  Some young Danish guy.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they cast Euron yet?

Huh. Nothing like I imagined him looking like, but as long as he can pull off the whole crazier than thou deal I'm okay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, something interesting I caught on in the 'World of Ice and Fire' is apparently there is a series of forts similar to the wall in Yi Ti in the far East of Essos, built to defend against the "demons of the lion of the night" suggesting White Walkers aren't only a Westeros problem! :o

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Five_Forts
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
'Game of Thrones' cleaned house at the EMMY Awards setting a record for most emmys won in a single year with 12 (the previous record was 9).

Among the 12 were:

Best Drama

Best Directing

Best Writing

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/2798bf65847524560ac6aeaec33094671a301854/0_110_3459_2081/master/3459.jpg?w=1225&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=0274a6ae4eabbe419e9f053229e319fd

View Quote

Why does Alfie Allen always have that goofy look on his face?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Among the 12 were:

Best Drama

Best Directing

Best Writing

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/2798bf65847524560ac6aeaec33094671a301854/0_110_3459_2081/master/3459.jpg?w=1225&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=0274a6ae4eabbe419e9f053229e319fd

Genetics + weed. His sister got all the looks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Among the 12 were:

Best Drama

Best Directing

Best Writing

agreed, she's hot.  and he smokes so much weed she made a song about it

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Among the 12 were:

Best Drama

Best Directing

Best Writing

Even when it's just pretend, getting your johnson mailed to your dad has to leave some emotional scars
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even when it's just pretend, getting your johnson mailed to your dad has to leave some emotional scars
View Quote

Iwan (Ramsay) really did a number on poor Alfie.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
GRRM turned 67 on Sunday.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tick tock you fat bastard...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

And he gained another 50 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
lol.

if that's what you took away from my post, you might want to read a bit more carefully.  especially since you're claiming the written word as your wheelhouse.  

i'm sure i don't have to remind you of the etymology of 'trope' and its relationship to modality.  now, in your literary approach to tropes, you see them as elemental building blocks--little semiotic codas that are bundled together into a narrative ('figures of speech,' such as metaphor).  however, the ontological state of 'being a brother' is also a trope--it is the instantiation of a broad abstract category.  the blueness of a car is a trope.  the redness of an otherwise identical car is a trope--they are instantiations of difference within a category of similarity (car-ness), just like the car-ness of those cars is the instantiation of difference within vehicle-ness (against, say, truck-ness).  now, trope theorists will argue loud and long as to whether a trope is a thing itself or just the property of a thing, but one way or the other, it's clear that a trope is more than a cluster of words in a narrative or an argument.  

long story short, the fantasy genre, the western genre, and every other genre constitute tropes of storytelling.  they are distinct (fantasy-ness, etc.), but they relate to one another (how a particular thing--storytelling--is done).

that said, your parochial attitude is par for the course among literary theorists, who appropriate terms from philosophy and critical theory to claim as their own, without really having understood them.  the amount of half-baked philosophy i've encountered among english majors is staggering.  i can accept technical uses of a term ('mass' means something specific in a scientific context), but it elicits a chuckle when someone imperiously corrects someone...incorrectly.

his usage was not incorrect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV, and all that rot.

you're referring to the term as it is used strictly within your narrow field.  the term is far more extensive.  the fantasy genre is a storytelling trope.

me?  i just study semiotics.
My "narrow field" as an editor of general published works in the real world where words mean things?

As opposed to your allegations of a difference of usage within the fantasy genre?

Are you fucking high?

Or are you attempting to be cute in constructing a trope?

lol.

if that's what you took away from my post, you might want to read a bit more carefully.  especially since you're claiming the written word as your wheelhouse.  

i'm sure i don't have to remind you of the etymology of 'trope' and its relationship to modality.  now, in your literary approach to tropes, you see them as elemental building blocks--little semiotic codas that are bundled together into a narrative ('figures of speech,' such as metaphor).  however, the ontological state of 'being a brother' is also a trope--it is the instantiation of a broad abstract category.  the blueness of a car is a trope.  the redness of an otherwise identical car is a trope--they are instantiations of difference within a category of similarity (car-ness), just like the car-ness of those cars is the instantiation of difference within vehicle-ness (against, say, truck-ness).  now, trope theorists will argue loud and long as to whether a trope is a thing itself or just the property of a thing, but one way or the other, it's clear that a trope is more than a cluster of words in a narrative or an argument.  

long story short, the fantasy genre, the western genre, and every other genre constitute tropes of storytelling.  they are distinct (fantasy-ness, etc.), but they relate to one another (how a particular thing--storytelling--is done).

that said, your parochial attitude is par for the course among literary theorists, who appropriate terms from philosophy and critical theory to claim as their own, without really having understood them.  the amount of half-baked philosophy i've encountered among english majors is staggering.  i can accept technical uses of a term ('mass' means something specific in a scientific context), but it elicits a chuckle when someone imperiously corrects someone...incorrectly.

his usage was not incorrect.

LOL..

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
honestly, it's not even that--technically, fantasy is a trope.  the literary theoretic version he's using is the ripped-off, oversimplified version of a far more complex and nuanced body of theory from philosophy.  basically, literary theorists bit off a tiny corner, and said "this is all we want."  that's fine, as long as they don't try to say that the source is wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary definition vs. common usage

honestly, it's not even that--technically, fantasy is a trope.  the literary theoretic version he's using is the ripped-off, oversimplified version of a far more complex and nuanced body of theory from philosophy.  basically, literary theorists bit off a tiny corner, and said "this is all we want."  that's fine, as long as they don't try to say that the source is wrong.
LOL. Fantasy geeks rule!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
not at all.  this exchange started when he stomped another poster for using 'trope' instead of 'genre', when it wasn't even relevant to the substance of the post.  i merely pointed out that the other poster wasn't wrong--that the trope concept is broad enough to encompass that usage.  at that point, forker whipped out his e-peen in an attempt to show that his way is the only right way.  unfortunately for him, trope theory extends way beyond the narrow confines of lit crit, so his aggression was unwarranted.

point being, it's best to be circumspect.  if you're going to stomp someone over technical minutiae, it's a good idea to make sure that you have a handle on all the relevant concepts.  had he simply said "in lit crit, 'trope' generally means suchandso, " this conversation goes much differently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary definition vs. common usage

So all he needs to do to keep on your good side is acknowledge the superiority of your chosen field of knowledge over his?  

Yeah, I can tell you're a western philosophy major.  Intellectual masturbation is kinda your thing.  

not at all.  this exchange started when he stomped another poster for using 'trope' instead of 'genre', when it wasn't even relevant to the substance of the post.  i merely pointed out that the other poster wasn't wrong--that the trope concept is broad enough to encompass that usage.  at that point, forker whipped out his e-peen in an attempt to show that his way is the only right way.  unfortunately for him, trope theory extends way beyond the narrow confines of lit crit, so his aggression was unwarranted.

point being, it's best to be circumspect.  if you're going to stomp someone over technical minutiae, it's a good idea to make sure that you have a handle on all the relevant concepts.  had he simply said "in lit crit, 'trope' generally means suchandso, " this conversation goes much differently.
LOL.

Fantasy geeks live in their own heads.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.  

melisandre?  is that you?

we're getting all resurrection and shit up in here.  how many months ago was that?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

we're getting all resurrection and shit up in here.  how many months ago was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.  

All the way back in May, for Christ's sake.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Photo of Kit Harington NOT playing Jon Snow.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Well, he did "die".

Therefore, he no longer is beholden to the Night's Watch oath, and now is free to pursue his destiny as the savior of Westeros (and he probably has to feel more than a little sour at his 'brothers' betraying him like that)
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, he did "die".

Therefore, he no longer is beholden to the Night's Watch oath, and now is free to pursue his destiny as the savior of Westeros (and he probably has to feel more than a little sour at his 'brothers' betraying him like that)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Well, he did "die".

That's long been my theory as as well.  "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death."

I just REALLY hope he deals out justice to the traitors first.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That's long been my theory as as well.  "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Well, he did "die".

Notice the color of his clothes

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winter is Coming with Fire and Blood.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Well, he did "die".

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he's trying to draw a connection to Dany, since she is almost always wearing blue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think he's trying to draw a connection to Dany, since she is almost always wearing blue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, Stark clothes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be very surprised if those two meet up next season.  Especially early enough in the season for Jon to take a liking to her, notice she likes blue, and start wearing it himself because of it.

Or is it David and Dan are using the color blue to foreshadow something that everyone and their mother already knows is coming?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nope, Stark clothes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, Stark clothes.

That was pointed out right above the picture.  I think Ned and I thought he was referring to something other than that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would be very surprised if those two meet up next season.  Especially early enough in the season for Jon to take a liking to her, notice she likes blue, and start wearing it himself because of it.

Or is it David and Dan are using the color blue to foreshadow something that everyone and their mother already knows is coming?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave and Dan: Much secrecy. So foreshadowing. Very cleverness.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They aren't Blacks. Almost looks like Ned's or Robb's clothes

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right above the picture.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Right above the picture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right above the picture.

I missed it, I'd already seen the pick and just kept scrolling

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#39]
With his hair tied back like that, it looks as if he's almost ready to become a kung-fu master.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Some are saying that's Carice van Houten (Melisandre) under the umbrella, but it doesn't look like it to me.

What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some are saying that's Carice van Houten (Melisandre) under the umbrella, but it doesn't look like it to me.

What do you guys think?

View Quote

Too hard to tell, honestly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

With his hair tied back like that, it looks as if he's almost ready to become a kung-fu master.
View Quote
The man bun is super hot right now

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What do you guys think?

View Quote
It looks like it could be her, it looks like she has some sort of blanket on.

It's her, or the landlady from Kingpin

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Hilt on that sword definitely looks like long claw.
View Quote
should be across his back

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're not wrong, but that's the worst possible way to carry a sword.

"let me show you all my vulnerable parts while i draw this thing, which is difficult to do because my arm is shorter than the blade."
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"let me show you all my vulnerable parts while i draw this thing, which is difficult to do because my arm is shorter than the blade."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is probably one of the few things that annoys me about the Witcher series.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe he doesn't need to carry it that way anymore.  Remember, that was how he was told to carry it until he'd put on a couple more inches...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Or hes really dead and they are just shooting flashback scenes

I think everyone is going to be disappointed. He said he was dead and would come back in some "capacity" meaning flashbacks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Or hes really dead and they are just shooting flashback scenes

I think everyone is going to be disappointed. He said he was dead and would come back in some "capacity" meaning flashbacks.
View Quote

At no point in the past did he ever wear Stark armor, with Longclaw on his hip.

Not to mention that looks like Carice Von Houten under the umbrella. Would the Red Woman appear in a Jon pre-Wall flashback?
Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top