Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 158
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd have to do something similar for AD&D or The Witcher.  Just take the basic themes/universe and write a unique story in there.

View Quote

with this, i agree--the video game should provide the setting, but not the exact storyline.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys do realize that The Witcher was first a book series written by a Polish author, don't you?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i thought the first one was great, given the limitations they were working with.  the only thing that held it back was the limited FX budget, and the godawful acting of michelle "movie wrecker" rodriguez.  the rest were indeed crap.

'silent hill' was also quite good.

i don't disagree with HC's overall point--it's difficult to adapt the video game experience to screen drama.  it's similar to adapting a stephen king novel to the screen--the media are just so different that it's hard to make a satisfying movie while still maintaining what made the original so effective.  in king's case, his stories play out as mindscapes, and the external action is a sideshow.  hard to do this on film--only good ones that come to mind are shawshank and dolores claiborne.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There has never been a good movie or TV series based off of a video game.  

false.

resident evil.

The first one was okay.

They're making a "The Last of Us" movie based off the game and it sounds like it has the potential to be pretty good.

i thought the first one was great, given the limitations they were working with.  the only thing that held it back was the limited FX budget, and the godawful acting of michelle "movie wrecker" rodriguez.  the rest were indeed crap.

'silent hill' was also quite good.

i don't disagree with HC's overall point--it's difficult to adapt the video game experience to screen drama.  it's similar to adapting a stephen king novel to the screen--the media are just so different that it's hard to make a satisfying movie while still maintaining what made the original so effective.  in king's case, his stories play out as mindscapes, and the external action is a sideshow.  hard to do this on film--only good ones that come to mind are shawshank and dolores claiborne.

Shawshank was a short story. The worst SK movies are adapted from novels. Pet Semetary. Cujo. The list goes on. The best SK movie adaptations are from short stories. Shawshank. Running Man. Stand By Me. The short story format lends itself to the big screen much better than the long form novel in most cases. GoT is a great example - if you've ready the books, the limitations moving from print to video - even in the multi-season, 10 episode format that gives you 5X the footage of a typical feature film - are readily apparent.

Movies based on video games aren't great. Resident Evil is the least horrible effort to date, and that's not saying a lot. Nobody's winning any Academy Awards for Resident Evil.

The potential is there with Last of Us, but I think that's more a credit to how the video game industry has evolved and started to deliver games with a genuinely compelling story line. I think the Last of Us storyline could be translated into print as a short story fairly easily - and remain compelling. This belief leads me to the conclusion that a similarly compelling film could be written based on that same storyline.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You guys do realize that The Witcher was first a book series written by a Polish author, don't you?
View Quote

i know nothing about the witcher except that the most recent one apparently is pretty steamy.

i was speaking in generalities.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i know nothing about the witcher except that the most recent one apparently is pretty steamy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah. Ok.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hbo executive states john is dead

“Dead is dead. He is dead,” he said. “Yes, everything I’ve seen, heard and read, Jon Snow is indeed dead.”

But the show must go on… for at least three more seasons. Lombardo said at the panel:

“The question is how much beyond the seventh season we’re going to do.”  
View Quote

I haven't seen anyone argue that he's not dead.

Dead, gone, and never coming back however....

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Of interesting note: while GoT got 24 nominations this season alone (despite it being the worst season yet) 'The Walking Dead' has only received 13 nominations TOTAL in it's entire five season run.  

All 13 nominations were for minor categories dealing with special effects and sound editing and of the 13 they won two.

View Quote

Not enough faggotry in TWD.  Awards shows love faggotry.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Obviously not.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Obviously not.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obviously not.  

Polish fantasy hero can into multi-billion dollar franchise!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of interesting note: while GoT got 24 nominations this season alone (despite it being the worst season yet) 'The Walking Dead' has only received 13 nominations TOTAL in it's entire five season run.  

All 13 nominations were for minor categories dealing with special effects and sound editing and of the 13 they won two.

I must have missed all the faggotry on 'Breaking Bad' when they were cleaning up at the awards shows.

TWD can be entertaining, but the acting, directing, and writing is barely a tier above CW-level quality.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Ian Mcshane is in fact coming to the next season of GOT.  

Undisclosed role but sweet fuck this is epic..... legendary epicness!!!

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58855853?ref_=hm_nw_tp1
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw that. Considering the earlier comments about just that happening, I lol'd. Wonder if he;lkl be cast as Euron Greyjoy?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hopefully he gets in at least one "cocksucker."

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I saw that. Considering the earlier comments about just that happening, I lol'd. Wonder if he;lkl be cast as Euron Greyjoy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful.  McShane turns 73 next month.

Randyll Tarly would probably be more likely.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, hope I look so good at that age.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Damphair maybe?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damphair maybe?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damphair maybe?  

I wouldn't say Randyll tarly because Tarly is supposed to be thin and the polar opposite of Sam....

I do think Mcshane could be an excellent Wyman Manderly.....

"I may drink and joke with these cocksuckers, but don't ever.... think that I forget...."
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say Randyll tarly because Tarly is supposed to be thin and the polar opposite of Sam....

"I may drink and joke with these cocksuckers, but don't ever.... think that I forget...."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damphair maybe?  

"The North Remembers, Ser Davos. And this mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home."
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I read on google news that they're going to stop after season 8.

I think it'll be all downhill without Martin's text to work from.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I read on google news that they're going to stop after season 8.

I think it'll be all downhill without Martin's text to work from.
View Quote

As we are beginning to see.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#21]
here's a question that's been bothering me for a long time:  Jeoffry was wasn't of age yet when he became king.  his mother had to act as Regent because of this.  if he was too young to rule, then why was he able to give commands (such as the abuse to Sansa) and pass judgements on people?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damphair maybe?  

So the guy below couldn't play a character that's thin, but he would be excellent to play a character that's so fat he can't even ride a horse?

Regardless, the book's physical discription of Randyll Tarly doesn't really matter for the show.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
here's a question that's been bothering me for a long time:  Jeoffry was wasn't of age yet when he became king.  his mother had to act as Regent because of this.  if he was too young to rule, then why was he able to give commands (such as the abuse to Sansa) and pass judgements on people?
View Quote

Sociopaths are going to sociopath.

Joff really didn't give a fuck about how old he was. All that mattered to him is the fact that he sat on a special chair and wore a crown, which, in his twisted mind, gave him free reign to do whatever the fuck he wanted to; a trait that was instilled in him by his own mother.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, Joffrey was king and could rule however he wanted to.  His age didn't matter.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

No, Joffrey was king and could rule however he wanted to.  His age didn't matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Joff was close in age.  People could ignore an 8 year old Tommen because you figure a small kid doesn't hold a grudge.  You want to obey a 13 year old Joffrey because he'll hold a grudge and will rule in his own right in a couple of years.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hbo executive states john is dead

“Dead is dead. He is dead,” he said. “Yes, everything I’ve seen, heard and read, Jon Snow is indeed dead.”

But the show must go on… for at least three more seasons. Lombardo said at the panel:

“The question is how much beyond the seventh season we’re going to do.”  

Dead, yet Kit is getting roomed and boarded and paid to be in Belfast... and it's not a paid vacation
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please god no. Randyll Tarly is easily one of the best warriors in GoT. Ian does not resemble that remark at all.

Besides, Tarly wasn't 73
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what was the point of Cersei being queen regent because he had not come of age yet?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So what was the point of Cersei being queen regent because he had not come of age yet?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She has his proxy to do things in his name. Similar to the Hand of the King. Once he is of age, she can no longer give commands as her proxy ends.

That's not to say, he couldn't still issue commands, it merely gives her the power to. Think of it as a power of attorney for him
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She did the things Joffrey wasn't interested in doing.  Like when he had the tongue ripped out of that guy's mouth and said "I'll leave the rest of the matters to you, mother" before leaving to go torment Sansa.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

She has his proxy to do things in his name. Similar to the Hand of the King. Once he is of age, she can no longer give commands as her proxy ends.

That's not to say, he couldn't still issue commands, it merely gives her the power to. Think of it as a power of attorney for him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the best way to put it.  a child cannot be expected to navigate complex affairs of state, and some governance structure has to exist to override the will of a child-king who decides he wants to go rob the iron bank for fun.  the killing of ned is a perfect example of the need for the regency.

but even a child-king has to been seen as king, or he becomes a mockery.  so joff had to be obeyed in some things--those decisions that did not directly involve the state.  and ultimately, power resides where people believe it does.  there comes a point where joff and cersei were going to be power rivals, and their relative status was going to be decided by those who choose whom to obey.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So the guy below couldn't play a character that's thin, but he would be excellent to play a character that's so fat he can't even ride a horse?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Ian+McShane+Ian+McShane+London+Studios+QYE6Rn7I25Zl.jpg

Regardless, the book's physical discription of Randyll Tarly doesn't really matter for the show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damphair maybe?  

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Ian+McShane+Ian+McShane+London+Studios+QYE6Rn7I25Zl.jpg

Eddie Murphy is fairly thin, yet he's played so many fat people, I'd be hard pressed to name them all.

That aside, perhaps he could play Tarly sr. well.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because his mother allowed him to rule, in defiance of the law that said he had to be 16.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"I may drink and joke with these cocksuckers, but don't ever.... think that I forget...
."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damphair maybe?  

"I may drink and joke with these cocksuckers, but don't ever.... think that I forget...
."

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's still the King. Gotta do what the King says, even if he is a little rugrat. Having a Regent was just to prevent the realm from sliding into chaos until the child king could be taught how to govern.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I could also see Ian as the evil wizard from Old Town, assuming he has a role to play towards the end.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I could also see Ian as the evil wizard from Old Town, assuming he has a role to play towards the end.  
View Quote

the alchemist....or he might be an interesting marwyn the mage
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marwyn could fit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Eddie Murphy is fairly thin, yet he's played so many fat people, I'd be hard pressed to name them all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is 'Game of Thrones.'  Not 'The Fatties: Fart 2.'

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honey Boo-Boo, Medieval edition.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe they could work in Wu as a cameo, maybe a red priest on the voyage with Euron?

"Bring me my new sea wife"

"Who?"

"My bitch wife!"

"Wu?"

"Fuck it just bring that dragon horn!"

"Wu...who?"

"Cocksucker!!"

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Max von Sydow has signed on for S6.  Apparently he will be playing the Three Eyed Raven.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Max von Sydow has signed on for S6.  Apparently he will be playing the Three Eyed Raven.

https://highlandfidelity.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/the-exorcist-4.jpg

View Quote

Wonder if he's going to name Jon or Dany as "DRAGONBORN!"
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Ian McShane would be the perfect person to play the Greyjoy Victarian/Crows Eye combination I think they're planning to do. He might be in his 70's, but the dude doesn't look like it all and Theon's dad looked pretty old in the show so it wouldn't be unthinkable for him to have a brother Ian McShane's age.

Although I can see him playing Randall (Sam's dad) as well.

If they got Max von Sydow to play the Three-Eyed-Crow...wow.  That and Ian McShane are making for some amazing actors for season 6.

I've heard that Helen Mirren is open to doing a part in Game of Thrones. If D&D are smart they would reach out to her and I'm sure they did after it was made public she was interested. Heck for an actress like that it would be worth finding something for her to do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't see Ian as Tarly.  Honestly, I see Tarly as more the asshole jock type rather than the thinking man that Ian plays so well.  Crow's Eye would be perfect for Ian.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#47]
So, in Westeros a prince can be crowned King before his 16th name day, but cannot rule until he reaches the age of 16.

A "regent" rules the realm until the King reaches his 16th name day.

King Robert names Ned as regent, but Cersei summons him to the throne room and forces him to swear fealty.  Ned can't swear fealty and Cersei has him arrested for treason.  However, who appoints Cersei as "regent?"  If the King can't yet rule than it would follow that the King can't yet make the decision of who is going to be his regent. It must be that by operation of law when absent a Hand of the King and with the King not yet of age that the Queen becomes regent?  As regent Cersei than can appoint the Hand of the King, her father Tywin, and she must also appoint him as Regent.  When The Hand of the King dies Cersei than by operation of law becomes once again the regent.  When Cersei is imprisoned or incapacitated though how does Kevan Lannister become regent?  In the show, it looks as though Tommen appoints Uncle Kevan as regent, but if Tommen is not yet of age can he really do that? Once Cersei is free from the Seven shouldn't she be the regent? OR, is that with the queens in prison and the King not yet of age the Small Council selects the regent?  Even though cersei is free now from the seven she is still technically under arrest and awaiting trial so that could mean she's incapacitated and therefore the Small Council's appointment of Kevan still stands.

It just makes no sense to me that a King who is determined too young to rule can pick his own regent. The whole point of having a regent is so some kid doesn't make a bunch of stupid decisions, but if that kid could appoint anyone he wanted whenever he wanted to serve as regent that would serve to negate the whole purpose really of having a regent in the first place. I mean the king could just appoint "Moonboy" as his regent or a guy from flea bottom who makes fart noises with his arm pits.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

So, in Westeros a prince can be crowned King before his 16th name day, but cannot rule until he reaches the age of 16.

King Robert names Ned as regent, but Cersei summons him to the throne room and forces him to swear fealty.  Ned can't swear fealty and Cersei has him arrested for treason.  However, who appoints Cersei as "regent?"  If the King can't yet rule than it would follow that the King can't yet make the decision of who is going to be his regent. It must be that by operation of law when absent a Hand of the King and with the King not yet of age that the Queen becomes regent?  As regent Cersei than can appoint the Hand of the King, her father Tywin, and she must also appoint him as Regent.  When The Hand of the King dies Cersei than by operation of law becomes once again the regent.  When Cersei is imprisoned or incapacitated though how does Kevan Lannister become regent?  In the show, it looks as though Tommen appoints Uncle Kevan as regent, but if Tommen is not yet of age can he really do that? Once Cersei is free from the Seven shouldn't she be the regent? OR, is that with the queens in prison and the King not yet of age the Small Council selects the regent?  Even though cersei is free now from the seven she is still technically under arrest and awaiting trial so that could mean she's incapacitated and therefore the Small Council's appointment of Kevan still stands.

It just makes no sense to me that a King who is determined too young to rule can pick his own regent. The whole point of having a regent is so some kid doesn't make a bunch of stupid decisions, but if that kid could appoint anyone he wanted whenever he wanted to serve as regent that would serve to negate the whole purpose really of having a regent in the first place. I mean the king could just appoint "Moonboy" as his regent or a guy from flea bottom who makes fart noises with his arm pits.

View Quote
The medieval period wasn't as legalistic as we are today.  People sided with the Lannisters because of fealty to Tywin Lannister or out of hopes of an alliance with Tywin Lannister.  Legally, they were probably in a grey area because the man appointed by Robert was seen as a traitor for refusing to swear fealty to Joffrey.  I doubt there was a provision for who ruled if the King died and the named Regent/Hand was a traitor.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The medieval period wasn't as legalistic as we are today.  People sided with the Lannisters because of fealty to Tywin Lannister or out of hopes of an alliance with Tywin Lannister.  Legally, they were probably in a grey area because the man appointed by Robert was seen as a traitor for refusing to swear fealty to Joffrey.  I doubt there was a provision for who ruled if the King died and the named Regent/Hand was a traitor.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

People who had power could do pretty much anything they wanted (legal or otherwise) unless someone with more power told them they couldn't or stopped them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Based on casting news and the actors spotted in Belfast it looks like the Iron Islands are probably going to be in S6 with a decent chance of there being a Kingsmoot.

Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top