Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 158
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the Starks are badasses in their own right. The land they have control of is vast and less productive than the south. Yes, Ned wasn't the brightest. And his brother wasn't either. But going back further in history, there is a reason they have been in power so long including "King of the North" in the past.

They are also the only region to have to deal with Wildling raids...

White harbor is more wealthy than winterfell because they are major seaport / trading hub/ fishing area / transportation hub. Having a seaport and river access is freakin' huge.

You want to talk foolish ploys, Tywin Lannister loaned a bunch of money to the crown, that they have no way of paying back. And all his famous Gold Mines are empty now too. The Lannister family is rightly screwed right now- no gold, dying off at an alarming pace, no money, army has been devastated by war. I can't think of anything good going for them right now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whoever holds it now is considered Lord Paramount of the Trident so you would have much more taxes coming in than previous holders. I'm sure someone with enough money could rebuild the thing. Harren came up with the cash with just a little slavery thrown in. Knock down the old half-destroyed towers, rebuild them at a more sensible size, and you've still got the largest castle by far in the seven kingdoms. Having the most impressive castle in the world falling into ruin makes the whole realm look bad. It's shameful.
View Quote
Not if you're a Targaryen.  It stands as a monument to the Conquest.  As for its current occupant, he has designs on another castle.  

But if you were a simple lord of the castle, I think the best way to "fix" Harrenhal would be to keep the curtain wall, knock down the towers and internal structures, and build a Norman style keep inside the walls, close enough to one of the gates to act like a tower for it.  That way if you don't have the troops to hold the walls, you can retreat to the keep.  Heck, once you'd leveled the internal structures there would probably be enough room inside the walls to relocate most of the town, turning the castle into a fortified city.  

A Norman keep.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The Riverlands has also been a critical strategic region now in both the most recent wars (Robert's Rebellion, and the War of Five Kings). The Riverlands also sort of sits at a nexus point in Westeros as it  border the North, the Vale, the Reach, the Westerlands and King's Landing, and is a short sail from the Iron Islands.

So, Harrenhall is pretty important.

However, as said to properly repair it would be monumentally expensive and a full garrison would give the Lord who occupied it the largest army in Westeros. The only reason the place was ever taken was that Aegon and his sisters had dragons.  I think it's like a nuke if it were rebuilt in that nobody wants anyone to have it to themselves out of fear that if they ever pulled off something like the Definance at Duskendale there would be nothing the Crown could do other than try to siege it for a LONG time.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the Starks are badasses in their own right. The land they have control of is vast and less productive than the south. Yes, Ned wasn't the brightest. And his brother wasn't either. But going back further in history, there is a reason they have been in power so long including "King of the North" in the past.

White harbor is more wealthy than winterfell because they are major seaport / trading hub/ fishing area / transportation hub. Having a seaport and river access is freakin' huge.

You want to talk foolish ploys, Tywin Lannister loaned a bunch of money to the crown, that they have no way of paying back. And all his famous Gold Mines are empty now too. The Lannister family is rightly screwed right now- no gold, dying off at an alarming pace, no money, army has been devastated by war. I can't think of anything good going for them right now.
View Quote

His idiotic kids pushed him into an untenable position.

Lord Tywin never wanted Cersei's children to be illegitimate. If Cersei and Jamie had been good heirs there would have never been the whole chopping off Ned's head in the first place and a smooth transition to power.

Making loans to the Throne was actually a good thing.  They were loans not gifts and with the gold mines no longer producing Tywin was positioning himself as the Bank of Westeros in a way.  Sooner or later the Lannisters were going to be paid back or at least start receiving interest payments from Robert or later his heir .  

Also remember that Lannisport is a major port even though it sits on the West side of Westeros.  Danny had a hard time finding ships is Qarth, because the merchants there didn't want to upset Tywin Lannister due to their successful business dealings with him.  So, Tywin had probably generated a lot of economic activity during his reign as Warden of the Westerlands that I'm sure was resulting in higher tax revenue that helped to offset the fact the mines ran dry. I mean nobody, even Cersie is aware that the mines are no longer producing, which means things economically were running just as well, if not better, than they were even when the mines were cranking out gold.

What Tywin should have done was use the Crown's debt to position himself as Hand. I'm not sure why he didn't do that and allowed Robert to go ask Ned to be Hand.  Robert didn't owe Ned a dime.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You don't have to have someone sleeping in every room. Harren was a "King" but in reality he only controlled the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. It's got a curtain wall so thick you ride through it and it's darkness like going through a tunnel. Those same walls are the tallest of any castle in the land. That's pretty damn cool. The towers are ungainly beasts but with some controlled demolition you can bring them down and rebuild. Once the Tullys proved their disloyalty they lost all incomes in the Riverlands and now you're the Leige Lord, you've got quite a bit of money coming in. You can double the tax at the Twins, rape Riverrun's farmers. The Iron throne gave you a license to steal.

I'm really surprised some like Tywin never rebuilt the thing. He could've gave it to Kev and the Lannisters would dominate half the country. The Rock still has "veins of gold as thick as a man's waist" running through it so it's not like he couldn't afford it. Hire some sellswords if you need.

It's damn national treasure and it shouldn't be allowed to fall into disrepair.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's a monument to what dragonfire can do.  besides, you'll turn the riverlands into a desert harvesting enough wood to keep the 30 hearths the size of a wagons burning

It was built by a king with a king's incomes. any ol' lord can't take over it. How will you garrison the beast? He wasted almost all of his and his vassal lords' monies just building it, he never had to hold it since Aegon came right after completion and burned him and it down. No one knows what it would have cost beyond the large amount it took to build it. Holding that castle doesn't make you lord paramount of dick if you don't have the manpower to enforce taxes and loyalty.

You don't have to have someone sleeping in every room. Harren was a "King" but in reality he only controlled the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. It's got a curtain wall so thick you ride through it and it's darkness like going through a tunnel. Those same walls are the tallest of any castle in the land. That's pretty damn cool. The towers are ungainly beasts but with some controlled demolition you can bring them down and rebuild. Once the Tullys proved their disloyalty they lost all incomes in the Riverlands and now you're the Leige Lord, you've got quite a bit of money coming in. You can double the tax at the Twins, rape Riverrun's farmers. The Iron throne gave you a license to steal.

I'm really surprised some like Tywin never rebuilt the thing. He could've gave it to Kev and the Lannisters would dominate half the country. The Rock still has "veins of gold as thick as a man's waist" running through it so it's not like he couldn't afford it. Hire some sellswords if you need.

Didn't Tywin make some comment about the mines being played out - that they had not mined any gold in quite some time?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
  Didn't Tywin make some comment about the mines being played out - that they had not mined any gold in quite some time?
View Quote

In the show that is correct, but I believe in the books the gold mines of the Westerlands are still very active.

I think the show is a bit ridiculous for assuming that even Tywin Lannister could keep secret that his gold mines were no long producing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lord Tywin never wanted Cersei's children to be illegitimate. If Cersei and Jamie had been good heirs there would have never been the whole chopping off Ned's head in the first place and a smooth transition to power.

Making loans to the Throne was actually a good thing.  They were loans not gifts and with the gold mines no longer producing Tywin was positioning himself as the Bank of Westeros in a way.  Sooner or later the Lannisters were going to be paid back or at least start receiving interest payments from Robert or later his heir .  

Also remember that Lannisport is a major port even though it sits on the West side of Westeros.  Danny had a hard time finding ships is Qarth, because the merchants there didn't want to upset Tywin Lannister due to their successful business dealings with him.  So, Tywin had probably generated a lot of economic activity during his reign as Warden of the Westerlands that I'm sure was resulting in higher tax revenue that helped to offset the fact the mines ran dry. I mean nobody, even Cersie is aware that the mines are no longer producing, which means things economically were running just as well, if not better, than they were even when the mines were cranking out gold.

What Tywin should have done was use the Crown's debt to position himself as Hand. I'm not sure why he didn't do that and allowed Robert to go ask Ned to be Hand.  Robert didn't owe Ned a dime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

robert didn't like or trust tywin and tywin didn't care for robert and couldn't bully him the way he steered joff or cersei.  robert would never have asked tywin to be hand...he'd ask thoros first.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Tywin would never rebuild Harrenhal because it was part of the Riverlands.  Why would he want to do Lord Tully a favor?  Harrenhal could be a good staging ground for the crown, but to make it part of the crownlands would again upset a major lord in the Tullys. The Tully's likely don't want to rebuild it because it would instantly create a lord in the Riverlands with prestige and wealth to rival their own.  It's not worth it politically to do anything about it.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
These are two new castles that will be used for S6.

What do you guys think? Casterly Rock?  Horn Hill? Highgarden? Dare we hope: Tower of Joy?

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I would guess Tower of Joy on the first and Horn Hill on the second.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Boy, if I were going to guess I'd say that first castle would be Casterly Rock with a bit of CGI help.

That second could be "The Reach," but I'm thinking it might be a could be used as the Citadel maybe? We know Sam is going to the Citadel so they'll need someplace to shoot that at.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Boy, if I were going to guess I'd say that first castle would be Casterly Rock with a bit of CGI help.

That second could be "The Reach," but I'm thinking it might be a could be used as the Citadel maybe? We know Sam is going to the Citadel so they'll need someplace to shoot that at.

View Quote
They were looking for actors who appear to be Randyll Tarly, hence my guess at Horn Hill.  Plus it would need a lot of CGI help to become Highgarden.  The Rock is an equally good guess for the first, but I just don't see the story going there.  I would expect all the key Lannisters to still be at King's Landing, but who knows since they've outpaced the books.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a monument to what dragonfire can do.  besides, you'll turn the riverlands into a desert harvesting enough wood to keep the 30 hearths the size of a wagons burning

It was built by a king with a king's incomes. any ol' lord can't take over it. How will you garrison the beast? He wasted almost all of his and his vassal lords' monies just building it, he never had to hold it since Aegon came right after completion and burned him and it down. No one knows what it would have cost beyond the large amount it took to build it. Holding that castle doesn't make you lord paramount of dick if you don't have the manpower to enforce taxes and loyalty.

It's been a while but I thought the veins ran dry?

In any case, at the time of Harren, the Iron Islands and Riverlands were the major lands... you're thinking 400 years later that it wasn't "much." This is before Kings Landing and the other lands being more developed. So at that time, it was indeed taxed and he was a major King. Hence his giant Hall.

No you don't need to sleep in every bedroom but you do need the manpower to staff every tower, work every watch along every wall, and a force to go ranging out.

Right now, the Twins may have money to spare but the Riverlands are already raped, there isnt' even food for the winter. Taxing them will net you zero. So tell me, where will this money to rebuild and staff Harrenhal come from? Besides your dream world, that is.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Obviously the Riverlands are desolate right now but they'll bounce back. By next summer the fields will be full of grains and the population will eventually rebound. There's a lot of money to be made for someone being the paramount Lord of them. Enough to rebuild some towers anyway.

Also, I don't know why D&D made the Lannisters broke. In the books they're still incredibly wealthy and the mines are working around the clock. Remember at the end of ADWD Kev is debating whether to pay off the Crowns massive debt to the Iron Bank from the Rock. In his head it basically sounds like pocket change but of course it's millions of gold dragons. Also Tyrion when he's signing his agreements with a certain group of people and they're demanding something like 10,000 gold dragons to the officers and 100,000 for the other guy he's trying to put on a serious face like it bothers him to pay so much but in his head he knows thats a drop in the bucket for the Rock.

The thick as a man's waist came from The World of Ice and Fire book, I can't remember the page but of course it's in the Westerland sections. It basically says that theres a lot of mine shafts dug through the Rock but you can still see the huge veins when you are sailing into the mouth of the Lion underneath. A pic to explain what I'm talking about...

Here's the bottom of the Rock, if it shows up

Here's the whole thing if it don't. It's got its own harbor underneath where the waves have cut out huge caverns...

I'm stealing these pics I hope they don't turn into cocks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Some audition footage featuring some of the major characters from S2 and later.

That smirking whore from Highgarden looks particularly delightful.

Game of Thrones: Audition Reel (HBO)

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Game of Thrones: Pop Culture Mash-Up (HBO)

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday's Comic Con panel with Carice Van Houten (Melisandre), Conleth Hill (Varys), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy / Reek), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Hannah Murray (Gilly), director David Nutter and producer Carolyn Strauss.

Game of Thrones Comic Con 2015 Panel

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Diesel, I wasn't sure they were out of gold either. It surprised me in the show when he said that. I just don't recall any specific passages from the book for or against that idea, at the moment.

This world of ice and fire book, did gurum write it or is this some fanfic book? Otherwise I'll take it for a grain of salt.

If he wrote it, where the fuck did he find time

And that pic looks like BS. Other than the Eyrie who has time to hike up that giant mountain to get to a fucking castle? That's a stupid pic of Casterly rock. I know it's elevated but that just seems extreme!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, Casterly Rock makes sense.  I believe the mountain itself was the largest gold mine in Westeros. So, it makes sense that House Casterly would have built the place into a fortress/residence. I mean they call it "the Rock" for a reason.  It's also one of the oldest castles in Westeros and was NOT built by Bran the Builder who did Winterfell and Storms End.  So, I can see it being a bit rougher in appearance than the other castles.  I am sure Lannisport though is a fancy and nice town.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#20]
It's Gurm-supervised fanfic. In other words they wrote it and gave him a check to put his name at the bottom.

Yeah I've got a lot of problems with the castles as painted in that book.

What you said, Casterly is 3 times taller than the wall, so you go in the bottom and I guess ride for a couple hours to get to your actual bedroom at the top.

The Vale is even worse. I don't care what anyone says there is no level of technology available to build a giant castle on top of a mountain thats too steep for mules or even steps the last 600 feet.

I got a problem with Pyke too. It was a giant castle but the cliffs have collapsed perfectly under the towers so you can stretch rope bridges across to each one. Also to get from your room to the kitchen for a midnite snack you've got to cross 3 huge rope bridges in the rain and cold and walk through 3 towers to get there.

The pic of Valyria is neat until you realize that molten lava runs along the streets in ditches between every building and tower. How miserably hot is that place? How many drunks incinerate themselves when they slip and put on foot off the sidewalk? There are a few other wacky things in there as well that I can't remember like that Asshai is larger than all the other cities in the world put together but only a few people live there.

It's kinda a strange book but it's interesting too, lot of history about different Targ kings and histories of different kingdoms of old. It makes a good time waster but it's not one of them you'll read all weekend nonstop until you're done.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And that pic looks like BS. Other than the Eyrie who has time to hike up that giant mountain to get to a fucking castle? That's a stupid pic of Casterly rock. I know it's elevated but that just seems extreme!
View Quote
That's pure GRRM.  He makes wild statements like "1000 leagues from King's Landing to the Wall" and then we have to live with a continent-sized England.  As for the Rock, I believe the picture is dictated by his descriptions of the size of the Rock.  Practically, it does make a certain kind of sense, but one would expense that everyone would live close to the entrance at the base and only make that climb during times of trouble.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would guess Tower of Joy on the first and Horn Hill on the second.  
View Quote

first one looks way too big for the TOJ....Ned and Reed tore it down to bury the bodies, so it can't be that big.  Number 3 for it maybe?  just from the thumbnail.

edit.

nevermind, 3 is way too big too and appears to be the same castle as 2 when i watch the video
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Diesel, I wasn't sure they were out of gold either. It surprised me in the show when he said that. I just don't recall any specific passages from the book for or against that idea, at the moment.

This world of ice and fire book, did gurum write it or is this some fanfic book? Otherwise I'll take it for a grain of salt.

View Quote

yeah, george's fantasy castles get a little nutty....hauling shit up the side of the mountain to build the eyrie, for example.  his version of the iron throne is kinda silly too, i actually prefer the show version for it.  he and the owner or whatever "Ran" from westeros.org wrote TWOIAF.  i don't know if he just approved whatever Ran wrote or wrote it hi self and Ran edited.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's Gurm-supervised fanfic. In other words they wrote it and gave him a check to put his name at the bottom.

What you said, Casterly is 3 times taller than the wall, so you go in the bottom and I guess ride for a couple hours to get to your actual bedroom at the top.

The Vale is even worse. I don't care what anyone says there is no level of technology available to build a giant castle on top of a mountain thats too steep for mules or even steps the last 600 feet.

I got a problem with Pyke too. It was a giant castle but the cliffs have collapsed perfectly under the towers so you can stretch rope bridges across to each one. Also to get from your room to the kitchen for a midnite snack you've got to cross 3 huge rope bridges in the rain and cold and walk through 3 towers to get there.

The pic of Valyria is neat until you realize that molten lava runs along the streets in ditches between every building and tower. How miserably hot is that place? How many drunks incinerate themselves when they slip and put on foot off the sidewalk? There are a few other wacky things in there as well that I can't remember like that Asshai is larger than all the other cities in the world put together but only a few people live there.

It's kinda a strange book but it's interesting too, lot of history about different Targ kings and histories of different kingdoms of old. It makes a good time waster but it's not one of them you'll read all weekend nonstop until you're done.
View Quote

the hot springs piped throgh winterfell's walls were the only one that did make sense, and even then i'm not sure how possible it would be,  seems like that bit of geological instability would make it kinda rough to build a castle there
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a passage from the first book with regards to Moat Cailin, White Harbor, and a Navy for the North. A little too late, Eddard instructs his wife whom never makes it to Winterfell to give the orders.

Once you are home, send word to Helman Tallhart and Galbart glover under my seal. They are to raise a hundred bowmen each and fortify Moat Cailin. Two hundred determined archers can hold the Neck against an army. Instruct Lord Manderly that he is to strengthen and repair all his defenses at White Harbor, and see that they are well manned. And from this day on, I want a careful watch kept over Theon Greyjoy. If there is war, we shall have sore need of his father's fleet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
at least manderly was already in motion, as much as he could be
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

the hot springs piped throgh winterfell's walls were the only one that did make sense, and even then i'm not sure how possible it would be,  seems like that bit of geological instability would make it kinda rough to build a castle there
View Quote

I can't wait for the Doom to take Winterfell.

"They thought their magic could control the 14 geysers, even pumping the hot water through their home...but they were wrong. It erupted and took half the North with it."

Maybe see stories of adventurers seeking the ruins and never returning..."some say the Doom still rules the Winterfell"
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"They thought their magic could control the 14 geysers, even pumping the hot water through their home...but they were wrong. It erupted and took half the North with it."

Maybe see stories of adventurers seeking the ruins and never returning..."some say the Doom still rules the Winterfell"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you wanted Darkstar-Senpai to rule the North and everything else as God-Emperor of Vampire-Man.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Keeping the wolf blood pure.
View All Quotes

She also showered her affection on that smirking whore from Highgarden.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7fb26f03cc8875ad51214bf2695c9dd3/tumblr_nravhfiSyb1qiaxzfo2_540.jpg

View All Quotes

Sam the Slayer knows how to get some.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

WOIAF is not fanfic, it was written in collaboration between GRRM and Elio Garcia and Linda Antonssen (sp?) -- they're the two people he calls when he needs help keeping the vast complexity of his world straight so he doesn't screw up the books too much as he writes them.

GRRM wrote most of the material, what he didn't write they wrote and he approved.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7fb26f03cc8875ad51214bf2695c9dd3/tumblr_nravhfiSyb1qiaxzfo2_540.jpg

View All Quotes

love me some smirking whore
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Casterly Rock though is essentially a Mountain that has been over the years turned into a castle from the inside out. It's always been a gold mine first and foremost.

Perhaps the Mountain that the Eyrie was built on wasn't originally as steep and after the Eyrie was built they somehow removed enough earth to make the last 600 feet more steep?

I agree, Pyke is just full blown absurd. There is really no defending that one.

Valyria is also abusrd. Sure, the Valyrians themselves may not have been able to be effected by heat similar to Danny (she gets into a scalding hot tub without issue and of course survives the fire that gives birth to her dragons), but Valyria relied heavily on slave labor, which is why they conquered as much as they did to mine and build Valyria.  Those slaves wouldn't have been able to work in those conditions.  Plus, such an environment would not be one that would attract people to trade with them since you literally couldn't breath in such a place.

Asshai is suppose to be a mystery. We don't know why it's huge, but few people inhabit it. We don't know why nothing will grow there and why there is fresh drinking water. It's a dark cursed city at the end of the world that attracts weirdo folks who like to practice dark arts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Asshai is suppose to be a mystery. We don't know why it's huge, but few people inhabit it. We don't know why nothing will grow there and why there is fresh drinking water. It's a dark cursed city at the end of the world that attracts weirdo folks who like to practice dark arts.
View Quote

I've got theories. I believe it was originally a submerged city, at least partially, and was home to the elder race of fish people. I know that's strange but it makes sense actually. It's built from the same greasy black stone as Yeen, also a large black city that plant life avoids. The other greasy black stone is the foundation to the Hightower, the Seastone chair, and the giant frog statue. The frog is interesting because they say a few fishy-like people still live on the island and worship it. All of the black stones things are ancient built with no tool marks and all are on or very near the water. I found a theory one time...lemme search again....

part 1
part 2
part 3

It's a lot of reading but it is really interesting. Some of it is but most of it makes perfect sense.

Fish people.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Hmm, Lost City of Atlantis kind of thing. Sure, why not?

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've got theories. I believe it was originally a submerged city, at least partially, and was home to the elder race of fish people. I know that's strange but it makes sense actually. It's built from the same greasy black stone as Yeen, also a large black city that plant life avoids. The other greasy black stone is the foundation to the Hightower, the Seastone chair, and the giant frog statue. The frog is interesting because they say a few fishy-like people still live on the island and worship it. All of the black stones things are ancient built with no tool marks and all are on or very near the water. I found a theory one time...lemme search again....

part 1
part 2
part 3

It's a lot of reading but it is really interesting. Some of it is but most of it makes perfect sense.

Fish people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

part 1
part 2
part 3

Fish people.

lol

misogynistLesbian. Love that username. I'll take that poster's word for gospel with an awesome username as such.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know where that person is getting all that info from. Is this from the world of ice and fire book you mentioned? 90% of the shit he/she is mentioning is definitely not in the canon thus far. Unless it's in that other book you mentioned. Even the map, I've never seen a full map until that post.

Edit: Since the whole World of Ice and Fire book is a complete afterthought written mostly by two other people other than GRRM, that person's theories are just silly. These black stones were just objects Gurum threw in and forgot about. Now trying to construct a possible backstory and piece together patchface's sayings to stuff written after is just silly. And fishpeople and mermans That theory is retarded.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I just find it odd that nobody has ever made it back from Valyria alive since the Doom.

It's been what? 300 to 400 years since the Doom? Why is it that ships still vanish even sailing near to it and anyone who has attempted to reach it has never returned?

Also, would there be anything left there at all?

A 5,000 year empire with knowledge and wealth beyond anything else in history would be a tempting place to journey to and see if anything of value was left.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I just find it odd that nobody has ever made it back from Valyria alive since the Doom.

It's been what? 300 to 400 years since the Doom? Why is it that ships still vanish even sailing near to it and anyone who has attempted to reach it has never returned?

A 5,000 year empire with knowledge and wealth beyond anything else in history would be a tempting place to journey to and see if anything of value was left.

View Quote
Probably the fumes.  Active volcanoes can create a lot of poison gases.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

hence the clever moniker "The Doom."  if it was all unicorn jizz and rainbows, they'd have called it "The Fluffening," or maybe "The Rainbow Jizzening" or "The Cuddly Bunny Hour" of Valyria.  plus what he said about poison gases and radon and shit and sea monsters
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Valaria, to me, seems a giant rip off of Dragonlance's Istar.

I don't know why people are all up on Pike. Plenty of natural sea formations like that.

Asshai seems to be more myth then fact.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could they still be at toxic levels after 300 to 400 years?

You could nuke a place and it would be liveable after that long.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Could they still be at toxic levels after 300 to 400 years?

You could nuke a place and it would be liveable after that long.

View Quote
If it is still active and erupting I believe so.  Think of the Doom as like a Caldera-type event and the ruined Valyria as a land of active volcanoes.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aren't there some captains that claim they sailed through Valyria and survived? As sort of a dare/badass move...
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Aren't there some captains that claim they sailed through Valyria and survived? As sort of a dare/badass move...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Euron Greyjoy for one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Euron Greyjoy for one.
View Quote

That's right. Euron Greyjoy claims to have walked the smoking ruins of Valyria. Although he could be full of it, because his ship the Silence is crewed by guys who can't talk.

It will be cool to see who they cast as Euron. I would like to see Ian McShane be cast as Euron.

For Victarion I'd like to see Ray Stevenson.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's right. Euron Greyjoy claims to have walked the smoking ruins of Valyria. Although he could be full of it, because his ship the Silence is crewed by guys who can't talk.

It will be cool to see who they cast as Euron. I would like to see Ian McShane be cast as Euron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Euron Greyjoy for one.

I would also have liked to see Kevin McKidd cast as Jon Connington, but it seems obvious to me now that their ain't going to be a Griff/YG storyline.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would also have liked to see Kevin McKidd cast as Jon Connington, but it seems obvious to me now that their ain't going to be a Griff/YG storyline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Euron Greyjoy for one.

They may yet, some gay pedophilia is right up D&D's alley. What does that have to do with the storyline? Who cares!! RATINGS!!
Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top