Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What if.....

you could do both?

<a href="http://s400.photobucket.com/user/223556762308/media/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather eat then see at night.

What if.....

you could do both?

<a href="http://s400.photobucket.com/user/223556762308/media/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg</a>

Watching your outdoor stove at night?

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for future...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What if.....

you could do both?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather eat then see at night.

What if.....

you could do both?

ribs... on a grill... and not even on the top rack

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one of those NYX-14's on order from Amazon but am thinking about cancelling it and picking up another suppressor (or ammo) before 41p comes up again in a few months.

I just can't decide whether I will use the NV and I hate having something sitting around that expensive without using it.  Living in town means I really don't have a reason to use it due to our street lighting being very good.
View Quote

Get another suppressor if you won't use it enough to justify it.  OTOH, if you can ever envision the lights going out, I'd rather have NV than another suppressor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get another suppressor if you won't use it enough to justify it.  OTOH, if you can ever envision the lights going out, I'd rather have NV than another suppressor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of those NYX-14's on order from Amazon but am thinking about cancelling it and picking up another suppressor (or ammo) before 41p comes up again in a few months.

I just can't decide whether I will use the NV and I hate having something sitting around that expensive without using it.  Living in town means I really don't have a reason to use it due to our street lighting being very good.

I think I will just hold off on both for now.

I can envision the lights going out but just not to the point where I would need to rely on the NV rather than flashlights which I have tons and tons of batteries for.  The only time I really see me missing the NV is in a scenario that I just don't see happening in my town of 5K people in the middle of nowhere Nebraska

I did own a Gen3 ITT 6015 for awhile and it was really cool though!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I can envision the lights going out but just not to the point where I would need to rely on the NV rather than flashlights which I have tons and tons of batteries for.  The only time I really see me missing the NV is in a scenario that I just don't see happening in my town of 5K people in the middle of nowhere Nebraska

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you get rid of it??
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it second hand and didn't have the spec sheet for it so I didn't want to risk it being damaged when I mounted it to my rifle since I didn't know the Halo value.  I could have spent a bunch of money on a helmet, laser, and light but just didn't want to do so when I could spend money on things I would actually use like a new carry gun that I would shoot better or ammo instead.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I got it second hand and didn't have the spec sheet for it so I didn't want to risk it being damaged when I mounted it to my rifle since I didn't know the Halo value.  I could have spent a bunch of money on a helmet, laser, and light but just didn't want to do so when I could spend money on things I would actually use like a new carry gun that I would shoot better or ammo instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terrible idea. You should feel bad.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some days I regret it but overall I am happy with my decision.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Moar night vision!  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Moar night vision!  

View Quote

Uh i have a 7 and a 14 now. I kinda like the 7 more just because stars and shit look better w both eyes
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:06:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Uh i have a 7 and a 14 now. I kinda like the 7 more just because stars and shit look better w both eyes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moar night vision!  

Why did you get both?  Was one for the wife?

I'm planning to buy a 14 when I get back stateside.  One of my eyes has bad vision so a 14 will work just as well for me.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm planning to buy a 14 when I get back stateside.  One of my eyes has bad vision so a 14 will work just as well for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moar night vision!  

Got the 7s first then thought 14s would be better. Plus it is now a full blown addiction. I cant wait to see the INTENS tubes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Got the 7s first then thought 14s would be better. Plus it is now a full blown addiction. I cant wait to see the INTENS tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moar night vision!  

Ok, so what are INTENS tubes?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
OP is an asshole. I got GenIII NOD...

Now I want a Thermal Monocular and a couple more IR lasers...

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Honest question:

I can't into the 14's. In high light environments my eyes use the unenhanced image and I get a green ghosting over it that isn't dominate. Switching eyes doesn't help as I just default to the normal eye. Am I missing something or am I supposed to go full pirate and just keep an eye closed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honest question:

I can't into the 14's. In high light environments my eyes use the unenhanced image and I get a green ghosting over it that isn't dominate. Switching eyes doesn't help as I just default to the normal eye. Am I missing something or am I supposed to go full pirate and just keep an eye closed.
View Quote

during most slow movements I kept the non-illuminated eye closed to keep rhodopsin from being burned in case I needed to look at something with my unaided eye, it was still adjusted to dark conditions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, but is living in a camper worth it?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honest question:

View Quote

Turn down the gain until it almost matches your other eye
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#22]
has anyone seen any sweet deals on pvs14 lately?i sold a few guns and am ready to buy!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Bro, people don't even see the point in NVG (I mean, I've got a flashlight, duh). Thermal might make heads explode.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't afford it currently

Once I get married, buy a house and get a promotion to project manager i'll buy a PVS-14.

I'm kinda pissed at myself for having so many AR's but non are complete yet, looking back I'd rather have 1 decked out BCM with all the goodies, PVS-14, plate carrier w/plates and battle belt. But instead I have 1 ELW BCM reece with KMR and aimpoint PRO, 1 BCM CWAR in progress, 1 BCM Reece w/ Geissele MK1 SWFA 1-4x,  1 12.5 BCM pistol. Then I have my first AR which is a beater build M4gery KISS that have had since 08 (HS graduation gift to myself).

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
has anyone seen any sweet deals on pvs14 lately?i sold a few guns and am ready to buy!
View Quote

I ordered a PVS 14 housing kit for $590 shipped and found a decent price on a Omni VII tube on the exchange.  About the best way to do it imo unless you HAVE to get a warranty.  My kit comes tomorrow and then I'll be seeing in the dark.  Hopefully the tube turns on.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

A stupid simple idea and yeh now i feel dumb. Thanks guys :) will try tonight!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#28]

ETA:

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]
are they really that hard to build?..i have the ultimate set of tools..my old man is a tv repairman!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Night Vision Stuff

Got my 14s from Will, he's a good guy.

My brother served in Iraq with him and when he got out, he started his business.

Mine are crystal clear and purchased for less than $3k.

I'll put up a pic later.

If you talk to him, tell him one of the Fojas brothers sent you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why dont you?

"History is made at night, character is what you are in the dark."

Half of the time is night time, why can't you see during it?

Especially folks with 4-5 nice rifles, why have those but not the ability to see in half the day?

View Quote

because it will sit unused until ruined. thus flushing money down the drain as I have ZERO use for one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
are they really that hard to build?..i have the ultimate set of tools..my old man is a tv repairman!
View Quote

From the video I've watched...nope. First attempt coming up this week, but looked very simple.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

From the video I've watched...nope. First attempt coming up this week, but looked very simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

would you happen to have a link to said video?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Night vision? You mean muzzle flash?

I haven't been out at night away from streetlights in years. That's probably why I don't have fleas, chiggers, and cholera.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I am piss poor at the moment, unemployed and living at home.

I do have excellent night vision though. I could fight by moonlight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I do have excellent night vision though. I could fight by moonlight.
View Quote

In the infantry, that phrase is typically shortly followed by the loud sound of a body, gear, and weapon, smashing into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#38]
is there a general consensus on armasight products?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I lost all of my money in a tragic PIV accident.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an armasight PVS7 with a very favorable spec sheet.  Bought off amazon.  I called armasight with a question and they bent over backwards to help, they are OK with me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have an armasight PVS7 with a very favorable spec sheet.  Bought off amazon.  I called armasight with a question and they bent over backwards to help, they are OK with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a NYX7. Gen 2+ id. You could see in the dark, but needed the IR on in total darkness. Some light and the unit was pretty good, but I have nothing to compareMine came missing the headset that was supposed to be included. Called Armasight, and personally thought they were less than helpful. Amazon made it right by discounting further. The NYX7 is a proprietary design meaning you'll need the adaptor or have to buy all armasight accessories.

General consensus is don't pay full retail for their foreign tubes. If you can squeak into an Amazon deal at minus 60% retail, you're doing just OK.  Otherwise, I think for the $1200+ or so you're going to spend you'd probably be better off trying to find a used Gen 3 or getting a housing kit and hunting down a SuperGen Photonis or best used gen 3 tube in your budget.  

Sold it for a couple reasons. Short life of gen 2, did not care for bino and decided mono was the way to go, and details were washed out even at short distances (like outside, 1/4 moonlight, couldn't identify which dog was which at 10 yards).  I sold mine for a minute $100 profit (bought from Amazon at DEEP discount) when I determined I wanted Gen 3 and passed the deep savings on to a forum member via the EE. Just getting around to the Gen 3 unit. I think it depends what your end goal is for the unit.

Visit the NV section for more info.  There's plenty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

we have a nv section, read up for details but I'd say don't bother
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have called and had a personable and friendly person answer the phone. Submitted a request for RMA for opinion on FPN, got a personal call back with an extension to chat. Fuck I love these guys. They are straight forward and have been stupid helpful w dumb questions. Call them, you'll see I think a lot of the bad press was either old and they've changed or people expecting caviar on sushi prices.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally!  Put my PVS 14 together, just to tear her apart...to put her together.  I hastily threw it together the other day and had some "blems"...i.e. dust.  Not anymore.  This thing's pretty clean.  Omni VII tube from the EE.  Should've taken pics with my other phone, this one provides shit so no pics of environments.  Anyways, I've joined the cool kids once again.  Only took 5 months after selling the NYX7.  I prefer the mono, just as suspected.  I can actually walk around with it and not lose depth like with the NYX7.  That thing was disorienting.  The dogs look at me like I'm a jackass with the IR on.
Just need a mount and helmet so I can shoot in the dark now.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Anybody else bought night vision lately?

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably worth the value of the tube inside plus $39 worth of glued together chinese plastic and glass around it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Anybody else bought night vision lately?

View Quote

I recently picked up an NVEC ENVIS unit. Pretty good intro Gen3 unit. Need helmets and some stuff now too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think it becomes about 1200$ we'll all get some.

View Quote

I thnk it will get there. Look at flashlight tech. It is so much better and cheaper today. Some company will figure out how to get it to us around that price point or even cheaper. That company will make a fortune.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I thnk it will get there. Look at flashlight tech. It is so much better and cheaper today. Some company will figure out how to get it to us around that price point or even cheaper. That company will make a fortune.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it becomes about 1200$ we'll all get some.

Tubes days are numbered.  Digital will surpass them sooner rather than later, and that's when the price will drop significantly.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top