Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Because I'm still in college and working part time.

Hopefully I graduate next month, get a full time job this summer and start saving some coin for a house and then start buying some more toys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Because I now owe the goddamn hospital $39,000
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't decide on wether I wanted binoculars or monocular.  But I finally got off my arse and picked up a used monocular to see how I like NV v. my roommates thermal scope.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cant shoot a couple of SBRs at the same time, can shoot one SBR with NV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After a couple of more SBr's & a MPX I'm jumping in NV and IR feet first.

Cant shoot a couple of SBRs at the same time, can shoot one SBR with NV.

lol you're a trip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gen 1 for the win....
View Quote

Well i guess i technically own night vision now, just ordered a thor 336 1.5x and they gave me some gen one monical scope thing with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why I don't?  Because I'm indoor at night and don't want to fight at night.  Daylight is for fighting.  Nighttime is for sleeping (and other nocturnal activities).
View Quote

Like dying?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because I now owe the goddamn hospital $39,000
View Quote

What's another $5k.  See if you can get the hospital to run it through their account.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like dying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why I don't?  Because I'm indoor at night and don't want to fight at night.  Daylight is for fighting.  Nighttime is for sleeping (and other nocturnal activities).

Like dying?

nah man he said he doesn't want to fight at night, surely others will respect his wishes in this regard
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Just waiting on the dealer to build my mod3 up and I'll be green eyed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Saving for my mod 3 gain now

Setup on the left was 800$ Setup on the right was 2500 or so
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The setup costs 2500 for the tube as well or just the helmet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Building a Monocular is probably the most economical route, but my problem is that to trust my life on something I need to know it's top notch and for me that comfort level will probably only be achieved by buying a factory one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Building a Monocular is probably the most economical route, but my problem is that to trust my life on something I need to know it's top notch and for me that comfort level will probably only be achieved by buying a factory one.
View Quote

eh its all the same
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally got my wife to give me back ny Thor 336 1.5x and the free gen 1 night vision monical that came with it.
Gen 1+ is worse than the night vision we had in the army back in 1983 its nothing more than a toy.

The Thor 336 is working out better than i expected other than my wife ripping it off every chance she gets now she wants one for her self.
So far she has discovered we need more insulation in the house and where every animal in a 3 block area lives.

Im glad i finally broke down and spent the $ for night vision.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

they can be had for much less, like say, here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_172/1310524_Sale_PVS_14A_s__ITT.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiled? Probably. But not spoiled enough to believe that a PVS 14 is worth $3000

FYI I followed your advice... Trying to be patient awaiting this package.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I already have electronic devices that allow me to see in the dark.

Whenever I eventually finish college, pay down debt and get squared away, a gen 3 PVS 14 is on the agenda assuming I'm still single (a reasonable assumption).
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I already have electronic devices that allow me to see in the dark.

http://cdn.surefire.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/P/6PX-Tactical.png

Whenever I eventually finish college, pay down debt and get squared away, a gen 3 PVS 14 is on the agenda assuming I'm still single (a reasonable assumption).
View Quote

Changing very small portions of night into day isn't the same as seeing in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#19]
How else can you truly ever enjoy the Pacific Northwest!!??

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#20]
The wait is unbearable
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiled? Probably. But not spoiled enough to believe that a PVS 14 is worth $3000

good to hear

on the ACH thing:
their ballistic protection  is pretty excellent, and I wouldn't advocate compromising it

that said, it is my understanding that they can indeed be cut if sealed properly at the edges - never done it and don't know the procedure though
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]
If you cut kevlar it loses its soul and it no longer affords spiritual protection from the kevlar totems. As suggested earlier you must only cut it with a kosher knife blessed by the Aramid Priest of the Highest Order. This is why everyone knows to treat Keval with white gloves. If pierced even in the slightest it angers the spirits and causes a total loss of protection. You have been warned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Serious question, help a newb.

What is the deal with pvs7 vs pvs14?

I hear just about everyone in this thread saying to run the pvs14 monocular.

Why did they come up with the pvs7 binocular if it throws off depth perception so much?

What is the performance advantage of a pair of pvs14s mounted as binos vs a single pvs7?

Consider all the same generation 3 tube/ technology for the above questions.

Just trying to figure this out before I commit.

My nighttime use would be 90% observation and walking about the farm, and 5% shooting things with a suppressed SBR and aimpoint, the other 5% would be hiding the receipt from the wife.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why did they come up with the pvs7 binocular if it throws off depth perception so much?

What is the performance advantage of a pair of pvs14s mounted as binos vs a single pvs7?

My nighttime use would be 90% observation and walking about the farm, and 5% shooting things with a suppressed SBR and aimpoint, the other 5% would be hiding the receipt from the wife.

Thanks
View Quote

youd like the 14.

Eta because a 14 is twice a high number as 7. So u r gtg
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

A PVS-14 makes one of your eyes dark adapted and one light adapted, so if the tube goes out/batteries die/whatever, you have one dark adapted eye that still works. PVS-7 is like looking through a cyclopean toilet paper tube that transmits the same, centered, image to both eyes.  Neither eye is dark adapted, but I really don't see the need.  The other thing is autogating, you only get that option on newer PVS-14 units, but unless you are clearing a house and someone turns on the lights, or you are a tard who uses it during the day without an objective lens cap, so again I don't see the need.

I bought a PVS-7 because it was a dirt cheap way to get gen 3 NV.  If it goes out on me when I need it, well that's what my rifle has a  KM2 Vampire on it for, I'd just switch to white light.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A PVS-14 makes one of your eyes dark adapted and one light adapted, so if the tube goes out/batteries die/whatever, you have one dark adapted eye that still works. PVS-7 is like looking through a cyclopean toilet paper tube that transmits the same, centered, image to both eyes.  Neither eye is dark adapted, but I really don't see the need.  The other thing is autogating, you only get that option on newer PVS-14 units, but unless you are clearing a house and someone turns on the lights, or you are a tard who uses it during the day without an objective lens cap, so again I don't see the need.

I bought a PVS-7 because it was a dirt cheap way to get gen 3 NV.  If it goes out on me when I need it, well that's what my rifle has a  KM2 Vampire on it for, I'd just switch to white light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply;

I understand the reasons every one has for the single monocular.  However, can anyone answer these questions:

I see comments that some people like the pvs7 vs the monocular, but no explanation why?

I see pictures of such setups, why not run a pvs 7 or an avs/avis setup instead?

All units the same performance tube for discussion above.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]
a pvs 7 is one objective lens + one intensifier tube - you're just looking it the (exact same) image with both eyes
binos or anvis goggles are 2 objective lenses and 2 intensifier tubes

with binos your second eye is actually providing additional useful information to the brain, with a pvs 7 its completely redundant
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can get a very nice PVS 7 with top shelf specs and autogating etc.  The PVS 7 vs PVS 14 thing is personal choice, I went with the PVS 7 because the price was right.  I'd rather have a PVS 14 but PVS 7 works just fine.  They really are pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply;

I understand the reasons every one has for the single monocular.  However, can anyone answer these questions:

I see comments that some people like the pvs7 vs the monocular, but no explanation why?

I see pictures of such setups, why not run a pvs 7 or an avs/avis setup instead?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply;

Thanks!
Nightlongind.com

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have no idea what angle they came from. It's a round helmet, kind of hard to get a hit at a flat spot. I've never seen anything other than contact distance rifle rounds penetrate an ACH.
View Quote

http://youtu.be/BbCK2Tb_i30

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BbCK2Tb_i30[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
a pvs 7 is one objective lens + one intensifier tube - you're just looking it the (exact same) image with both eyes
binos or anvis goggles are 2 objective lenses and 2 intensifier tubes

with binos your second eye is actually providing additional useful information to the brain, with a pvs 7 its completely redundant
View Quote

So two different usable images via two tubes equals double the cost.  This is all making sense.  

So what is the deal with the twin pvs 14 mounts, why not run one of the AVIS/AVA dual tube binocular setups, those have two independent tubes and images?  Is it a cost thing, already have one pvs14, might as well get another (two is one, one is none?)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I would rather eat then see at night.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can get a very nice PVS 7 with top shelf specs and autogating etc.  The PVS 7 vs PVS 14 thing is personal choice, I went with the PVS 7 because the price was right.  I'd rather have a PVS 14 but PVS 7 works just fine.  They really are pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is one of the main things that worries me.  The "personal choice" clause.  I have heard and understand the advantages of the pvs-14 setup, and it all makes sense.  However, I have not heard any reason why the pvs-7 rig might be a better fit for someone.  For instance, it was mentioned that some people prefer the pvs-7, but no reason was provided.  Why would they if the monocular offers more adaptability and real world advantages, from allowing weapon mounting to being easier to walk around in the dark with one eye giving depth perception feedback while the other eye can see in the dark vs. both eyes watching the same thing?  

What possible advantage could the pvs-7 have over the pvs-14?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So what is the deal with the twin pvs 14 mounts, why not run one of the AVIS/AVA dual tube binocular setups, those have two independent tubes and images?  Is it a cost thing, already have one pvs14, might as well get another (two is one, one is none?)
View Quote

yeah plus you can split them up and loan one to your girl or buddies
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What possible advantage could the pvs-7 have over the pvs-14?
View Quote

cost
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Awesome,

Thanks for answering my questions.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Get both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both.

If you can see at night, you can always eat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally bought my first pvs14 one year ago this month.

the first reaction looking through gen 3 gave me what I have termed the "holy shit" effect. I quickly figured out why our military loves to do stuff at night, its not even close to fair.

I will never not have nods from this point on, since I have added the Atpial-c I now do almost all of my predator hunting at night.

It really changed the game for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if.....

you could do both?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What if.....
you could do both?

<a href="http://s400.photobucket.com/user/223556762308/media/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if.....
you could do both?

<a href="http://s400.photobucket.com/user/223556762308/media/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG_7412_zpsdf06de7c.jpg</a>

Yea, I'd hangout with you
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What if.....

you could do both?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if.....

you could do both?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#44]
FWIW, I had to get my 14 out of my truck (I use it to spot deer on the drive to work in the morning) just for that pic response.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Almost bought one of those ATN NVGs.

So happy that I didn't. I might be able to pick something up with next year's bonus, though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Almost bought one of those ATN NVGs.

So happy that I didn't. I might be able to pick something up with next year's bonus, though.
View Quote

Do not buy junk.  It will only cost you money in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I am now a one eyed God King of the night.

I just need a decent laser and bump helmet when my blood oil account recovers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I need to change my answer to "I do bro"
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I finally bought my first pvs14 one year ago this month.

the first reaction looking through gen 3 gave me what I have termed the "holy shit" effect. I quickly figured out why our military loves to do stuff at night, its not even close to fair.

I will never not have nods from this point on, since I have added the Atpial-c I now do almost all of my predator hunting at night.

It really changed the game for me.
View Quote

So the game has now changed because of your equipment?

In this industry, we call that……

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I have one of those NYX-14's on order from Amazon but am thinking about cancelling it and picking up another suppressor (or ammo) before 41p comes up again in a few months.

I just can't decide whether I will use the NV and I hate having something sitting around that expensive without using it.  Living in town means I really don't have a reason to use it due to our street lighting being very good.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top