User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously, just about anyone who has joined the military since 1973 and definitely since 2001 has conceptualized the idea of suicide before capture, or they are dumber than a box of hammers.

A an act of free will defiance may appear suicidal, but it isn't suicide from the choice not to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it works that way.

Seriously, just about anyone who has joined the military since 1973 and definitely since 2001 has conceptualized the idea of suicide before capture, or they are dumber than a box of hammers.

A an act of free will defiance may appear suicidal, but it isn't suicide from the choice not to live.

I'm partial to this example:  Martyr Photina/St Svetlana

...Nero then gave orders to crucify the saints, and to beat their naked bodies with straps. On the fourth day the emperor sent servants to see whether the martyrs were still alive. But, approaching the place of the tortures, the servants fell blind. An angel of the Lord freed the martyrs from their crosses and healed them. The saints took pity on the blinded servants, and restored their sight by their prayers to the Lord. Those who were healed came to believe in Christ and were soon baptized.

In an impotent rage Nero gave orders to flay the skin from St Photina and to throw the martyr down a well. Sebastian, Photinus and Joses had their legs cut off, and they were thrown to dogs, and then had their skin flayed off. The sisters of St Photina also suffered terrible torments. Nero gave orders to cut off their breasts and then to flay their skin. An expert in cruelty, the emperor readied the fiercest execution for St Photis: they tied her by the feet to the tops of two bent-over trees. When the ropes were cut the trees sprang upright and tore the martyr apart. The emperor ordered the others beheaded. St Photina was removed from the well and locked up in prison for twenty days.

After this Nero had her brought to him and asked if she would now relent and offer sacrifice to the idols. St Photina spit in the face of the emperor, and laughing at him, said, “O most impious of the blind, you profligate and stupid man! Do you think me so deluded that I would consent to renounce my Lord Christ and instead offer sacrifice to idols as blind as you?”

Hearing such words, Nero gave orders to again throw the martyr down the well, where she surrendered her soul to God (+ ca. 66).
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Nero then gave orders to crucify the saints, and to beat their naked bodies with straps. On the fourth day the emperor sent servants to see whether the martyrs were still alive. But, approaching the place of the tortures, the servants fell blind. An angel of the Lord freed the martyrs from their crosses and healed them. The saints took pity on the blinded servants, and restored their sight by their prayers to the Lord. Those who were healed came to believe in Christ and were soon baptized.

In an impotent rage Nero gave orders to flay the skin from St Photina and to throw the martyr down a well. Sebastian, Photinus and Joses had their legs cut off, and they were thrown to dogs, and then had their skin flayed off. The sisters of St Photina also suffered terrible torments. Nero gave orders to cut off their breasts and then to flay their skin. An expert in cruelty, the emperor readied the fiercest execution for St Photis: they tied her by the feet to the tops of two bent-over trees. When the ropes were cut the trees sprang upright and tore the martyr apart. The emperor ordered the others beheaded. St Photina was removed from the well and locked up in prison for twenty days.

After this Nero had her brought to him and asked if she would now relent and offer sacrifice to the idols. St Photina spit in the face of the emperor, and laughing at him, said, “O most impious of the blind, you profligate and stupid man! Do you think me so deluded that I would consent to renounce my Lord Christ and instead offer sacrifice to idols as blind as you?”

Hearing such words, Nero gave orders to again throw the martyr down the well, where she surrendered her soul to God (+ ca. 66).

I would offer another famous case, that of the Souliote women, who when sorrounded by enemies, threw their children over a steep cliff first and quickly followed them over dancing hand in hand as they went over the cliff, rather than endure the fate of captured women throughout history.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Magua was going through a really hard time, but he turned the corner when he called her back from the ledge. Magua's not perfect. No man is perfect, nor any woman. He's just damn manly, smart, and a survivor.

View Quote

I've always viewed it as him gesturing to her so he could gut her before he threw her off the cliff....

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The fluid ease with which the old man Chingachgook dispatches the younger badass Magua
is IMHO the best revenge/Kill scene ever done . No matter how many times I've seen it , it never
gets old .
View Quote

Made me want to run out and get a stock hawk.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

as stated above it was her way of saying FUCK OFF!!!!!

besides, you're talking about a God who essentially sent his Son to earth to commit suicide, didn't he?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would offer another famous case, that of the Souliote women, who when sorrounded by enemies, threw their children over a steep cliff first and quickly followed them over dancing hand in hand as they went over the cliff, rather than endure the fate of captured women throughout history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not sure it it's an attempt to be witty, but there's nothing admirable about submitting to someone you're convinced hates you and seeks to humiliate you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Through the movie I thought Alice looked rather plain & homely, but just before she jumped off the cliff she was breathtakingly ... angelic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Through the movie I thought Alice looked rather plain & homely, but just before she jumped off the cliff she was breathtakingly ... angelic.

She is SO FUCKING HOT, YES!!  Was she also the princess' assistant in Braveheart?  Sure looked like her...

And I swear, GD gets gayer by the fucking second.  I am going to start a thread, with a poll, asking if there should be a separate gay forum, so gays can go play with each other over in that gay forum..."not that there's anything wrong with that."
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great movie, and my favorite soundtrack of all time as well

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
From a historical standpoint, it was pretty accurate, according to three books I have on the French and Indian Wars (the only three I've ever found -- not much written on this period).

The impressment of the Colonists into a British militia, the militia's unwillingness to abandon their farms and families, the disposition of the French and English forces at Fort William Henry, General Webb's refusal to come to Colonel Munro's aid, and the surrender of the fort are all very accurate.

The battle scene in the glade, where the Indians ambushed the retreating British soldiers and their families, happened exactly as in the movie. The only difference is that Col. Munro escaped with his life. In the movie, he gets his heart ripped out by Magua.

What the movie does not show you is that the Potowatomie tribe, who traveled all the way from present-day Wisconsin/Illinois to fight with the French, were among the combatants at Fort Henry. The Huron sent them to the back of the Massacre Bus, however, so the Potowatomie took off for the abandoned fort, dug up the graves of dead inhabitants, and scalped them, because they needed trophies to take back home to demonstrate their "bravery".

But... most of the buried dead inside the Fort died not from battle wounds, but from smallpox. The Potowatomie took these infected, disease-ridden scalps back to their lands in the midwest... and wiped out their own people. So the dead avenged themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How close did the book resemble historical fact?

From a historical standpoint, it was pretty accurate, according to three books I have on the French and Indian Wars (the only three I've ever found -- not much written on this period).

The impressment of the Colonists into a British militia, the militia's unwillingness to abandon their farms and families, the disposition of the French and English forces at Fort William Henry, General Webb's refusal to come to Colonel Munro's aid, and the surrender of the fort are all very accurate.

The battle scene in the glade, where the Indians ambushed the retreating British soldiers and their families, happened exactly as in the movie. The only difference is that Col. Munro escaped with his life. In the movie, he gets his heart ripped out by Magua.

What the movie does not show you is that the Potowatomie tribe, who traveled all the way from present-day Wisconsin/Illinois to fight with the French, were among the combatants at Fort Henry. The Huron sent them to the back of the Massacre Bus, however, so the Potowatomie took off for the abandoned fort, dug up the graves of dead inhabitants, and scalped them, because they needed trophies to take back home to demonstrate their "bravery".

But... most of the buried dead inside the Fort died not from battle wounds, but from smallpox. The Potowatomie took these infected, disease-ridden scalps back to their lands in the midwest... and wiped out their own people. So the dead avenged themselves.

I'd be interested in scholarly citations that support this. All of it. Smallpox acts fast. IMO, no one is getting from that part of MI by canoe and by foot to the P area of WI without succumbing first.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are real Men on this site Love Women, enough of this faggotry.

http://prop-replica.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/5/7/12574326/7059074_orig.jpg
View Quote

Whoa.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The fluid ease with which the old man Chingachgook dispatches the younger badass Magua
is IMHO the best revenge/Kill scene ever done . No matter how many times I've seen it , it never
gets old .
View Quote

Very much agree.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She is SO FUCKING HOT, YES!!  Was she also the princess' assistant in Braveheart?  Sure looked like her...

And I swear, GD gets gayer by the fucking second.  I am going to start a thread, with a poll, asking if there should be a separate gay forum, so gays can go play with each other over in that gay forum..."not that there's anything wrong with that."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, a different woman. A French actress named Jeanne Marine.

Johdi May hasn't been in many films I've seen lately, but she was in the WW2 film, 'Defiance'. She was unrecognizable as the pregnant girl who was afraid of being found out.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll admit, that got a laugh outta me

I'd just take his hand and pull that boney meat bag over the ledge
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone went by their customs and I disagree that the relationship was doomed.  Unnatural to whom?  Her kind perhaps.  I didn't say she didn't care for her family, rather may not have cared in preserving her "family name" if she truly loved the other person.  I'm on the other side of that coin where I see it as even lower of a character to box yourself to a custom and shun true love because of a set of rules as such..  This is why Stowe's character comes off attractive to many.

Some would question you as sane viewing Mague as such .    I don't care who someone is, unless someone despises their father no daughter in their right mind is going to view Magua as you do without a hidden agenda of revenge later down the road.  

I don't see how twisted and hard hearted would make Magua as a catch more than the rest.  He fell into what has twisted him and compromises his native ways to that of the Europeans and losing himself in the process.  There is a difference between interfacing for relationships between different cultures and allowing oneself to be changed to the sins of those cultures.  Magua's character became the latter.

Hawkeye's character is the uncompromising one staying true to not falling into living a life of compromise and sin contrast to their native ways.

Who could love Uncas, with Magua in the room? Stowe's character is a coward. She wants Magua, but she's afraid of the social conventions of the time so she settles for a white savage.

And if loving Magua makes me crazy, I don't want to be 'sane'. Your 'sane' girl jumped of a cliff. Fuck that.

Magua was going through a really hard time, but he turned the corner when he called her back from the ledge. Magua's not perfect. No man is perfect, nor any woman. He's just damn manly, smart, and a survivor.

Fabio is aight, I guess. For a long hair. Magua's just manlier.

You got me, she sure wants the father murdering, relationship killing, self compromising weak spirited man, yeup.

It's ok. Magua still loves you. Come off that ledge.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/images/dvdsc_magua3.jpg

I'll admit, that got a laugh outta me

I'd just take his hand and pull that boney meat bag over the ledge

THANK-YOU!!! If I was Alice, I'd have taken Magua's ass over the side with me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've always viewed it as him gesturing to her so he could gut her before he threw her off the cliff....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quite agree. He still had a knife in his right hand.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, he was under orders to take her as a wife for his tribe and to breed a bloodline of mixed breeds. extremely common as well as extremely important to intertribal and international relations much like the royals of Europe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

every day.. we find out more fagginess from our members who seem to have never touched a live woman before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't matter how many times I watch that movie, that end sequence  always make me tear up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just watched the movie last night and Magua promises no less than 3 times to kill the girls.

The last time is right before he cut the heart out of Col. Monroe.

In the scene he clearly intends to murder her, just like her father and Uncas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

no, he was under orders to take her as a wife for his tribe and to breed a bloodline of mixed breeds. extremely common as well as extremely important to intertribal and international relations much like the royals of Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under orders?  You mean from the chief that he just rejected and said, "I spit on you," while abandoning the local tribe?  Might want to reevaluate that perspective.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You sound like you've never had an exchange like that with your boss.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under orders?  You mean from the chief that he just rejected and said, "I spit on you," while abandoning the local tribe?  Might want to reevaluate that perspective.

I rost!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he was pissed.. and rebuffed his chief, but  he knew he had to make it so. otherwise he would have just killed her before taking her to the trail. the only way for him to become stronger in the tribe was to maintain somewhat good graces of his chiefs. but if you notice after she jumped, he didn't look too broken hearted about her suicide. he knew full well that he had to take her as a wife as long as she was alive or find another man for her later on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someday I think you and I are going to have a serious disagreement.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was disappointed that that line wasn't in the director's cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. But then again I was disappointed about a lot of things in the director's cut.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  They cut it out?  Disappointing indeed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also the line where Hawkeye told the boys he just dropped by the fort to see how they were doing is gone.

However, there is more battle action outside the fort during the siege, with major Hayward taking a company of soldiers outside the walls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  They cut it out?  Disappointing indeed.

Also the line where Hawkeye told the boys he just dropped by the fort to see how they were doing is gone.

However, there is more battle action outside the fort during the siege, with major Hayward taking a company of soldiers outside the walls.

They also screwed up the music when they first discover the fort under siege. In the director's cut I don't think there is any music IIRC. Really took away from the scene in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was put back in for the BluRay cut.
But not the "Just dropped in to see how youse boys are doing" line.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where was that, please?
View All Quotes

Dupont State Park-  outside of Asheville NC.    Other waterfalls were used in the movie as well as in the first Hunger Games.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was a F&I War reenactor for about 5 years.  There is a metric poop-ton written about this period.

That scene was kinda accurate.  In reality the brits were not allowed to take their weapons with them, making the massacre that much more one sided.  And it started literally the moment the gate was opened for the brits to march out.  I'll give the French credit, they tried (and succeeded) in saving many of the British officers from the attack.

Yes, that is one of my favorite ironic twists of history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a F&I War reenactor for about 5 years.  There is a metric poop-ton written about this period.

That scene was kinda accurate.  In reality the brits were not allowed to take their weapons with them, making the massacre that much more one sided.  And it started literally the moment the gate was opened for the brits to march out.  I'll give the French credit, they tried (and succeeded) in saving many of the British officers from the attack.

Yes, that is one of my favorite ironic twists of history.

Now that you mention it, there is something, in the book I referenced earlier, relating to Indians grabbing babies from their mothers' arms and bashing their heads into the ground from the moment the inhabitants began marching out.

Thanks for reminding me. I should read it again.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in scholarly citations that support this. All of it. Smallpox acts fast. IMO, no one is getting from that part of MI by canoe and by foot to the P area of WI without succumbing first.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, when I get home tonight, it will be "Sorry honey, don't have time for dinner right now -- I have to get scholarly citations for Forker!"

Happy now?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I asked because I was once able to walk up beside the long waterfall used in the movie.  But the scene you posted was not at that area or at the top of those falls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dupont State Park-  outside of Asheville NC.    Other waterfalls were used in the movie as well as in the first Hunger Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVRLdbm7dk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks.

I asked because I was once able to walk up beside the long waterfall used in the movie.  But the scene you posted was not at that area or at the top of those falls.

The waterfall used is Bridal Veil Falls.  They filmed the outside of another water fall to make it look much bigger.  There were other spots, like the scene where he gets killed with the axe.

http://www.carolinamountain.org/hikingchallenge2/dupont1
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
The Last Of The Mohicans location: the final confrontation between Chingachgook and Magua: Hickory Nut Falls, Chimney Rock Park, North Carolina

http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/park/interestpoints/falls.php
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a historical standpoint...
<snip<
...and wiped out their own people. So the dead avenged themselves.

Struggle for a Continent: The French and Indian Wars, 1690-1760
Albert Marrin

The book is not footnoted, but has a decent bibliography of relevant sources and publications dating back to the mid-1800s.

[excerpt, page 128]

The French left Ticonderoga in three divisions on July 30, 1757. Since there weren't enough boats for the whole Army, Francois Gaston de Levis, still second-in-command, marched with three thousand men along the western shore of Lake George; the Indians moved through the woods on their own secret trails. Montcalm sailed with the regulars and the and, even more for French honor. The artillery rafts rode low in the water, for they carried some of the heaviest cannon in North America.

Bougainville wasn't happy. It wasn't that he didn't expect victory; that was guaranteed by the cannon. But a few days earlier, several chiefs had come to Montcalm's tent. "Father," said one, "do not expect that we can easily give quarter to the English. We have young men who have never yet drunk of this broth [blood]. Fresh meat has brought them here from the ends of the earth. It is most necessary that they learn to wield the knife and plunge it into the English heart."

Bougainville, an honorable man and a good soldier, had learned warfare in Europe.The men he served with never killed prisoners, much less ate them and drank their blood. The Indians' words sent a chill up his spine. He was afraid for the English and, even more, for French honor.

Montcalm easily surrounded Fort William Henry and isolated the entrenched camp. For nearly a week, his big guns pounded the walls, knocking holes in them in several places. The fort's defenders, many of whom were weak and recovering from smallpox, worked frantically to close the breaches. At night, when the French guns fell silent, they repaired the damage with timber and sandbags, only to see their hard work blown away in the morning. It was a losing battle.

An Indian brought Montcalm a letter found on the body of an Englishman ambushed in the woods. It was General Webb's reply to Colonel Monro's appeal for a counterattack to break the siege. Webb offered no aid, except to suggest that Monro try to get the best surrender terms. Montcalm promptly forwarded the letter under a flag of truce.

[excerpt, page 130]

Next day, August 9, 1957, the sixth day of the siege, a white flag fluttered above Fort William Henry. The surrender terms were generous. Montcalm didn't want prisoners, for there were already too many mouths to feed and food was scarce. Rather than hold the garrison, he promised to let them keep their weapons, although without ammunition or bayonets, and march to Fort Edward under escort. In exchange for freedom, they pledged not to serve against France for eighteen months.

[Note: This was a common pledge on both sides, and they were rarely kept.]

[excerpt, page 131]

Montcalm, however, knew that giving his word wasn't enough. The Indians had to agree; otherwise, they might turn the surrender into a massacre. Before signing the surrender documents, he called the chiefs to a council to explain what he had done and why. The chiefs agreed to everything and promised to control their braves. It was meaningless promise, for nobody could control them if they decided otherwise.

The braves were disappointed and angry, all because of Montcalm's generosity. They had expected loot, and he was allowing the English to keep their possessions. They wanted scalps, and torture victims, and captives to adopt or hold for ransom; now Montcalm was setting his prisoners free.

[excerpt, ibid]

At noon French regulars escorted the garrison to the entrenched camp, where they'd spend the night before moving on to Fort Edward. Eighty-seven wounded and smallpox cases remained behind in the fort hospital. Since they were too ill to be moved, French surgeons were detailed to care for them.

No sooner had the garrison left the fort than a mob of Indians and coureurs de bois dashed through the open gate. They'd come for loot and, finding none, lost control. Howling with rage, they drew their tomahawks and scalping knives. All the wounded and sick were killed, along with several women and children who'd remained with their menfolk.

Father Roubaud, a French army chaplain, heard shrieks and ran to see what was the matter. He ran into blood-spattered Abnaki. The brave had blood on his chin and at the corners of his mouth; he held by the hair the head of an Englishman. Braves even dug up the smallpox cemetery to scalp the rotting corpses. It was only with difficulty that Montcalm's regulars cleared the fort with bayonets.

[excerpt, page 132]

At dawn, August 10, the English formed a column and began the fourteen-mile march to Fort Edward. Four hundred French regulars formed a rear and advance guard. The Indians, too, were wide awake.

As the column moved along the trail, painted braves crowded in from both sides. They began to jostle the fugitives and snatch their possessions away. Men were dragged from the column and the clothes stripped from their backs. There were screams as women and children were grabbed and hauled into the woods. Braves were especially interested in the soldiers' canteens. They knew that the English had been ordered to get rid of their rum; they also knew that many would disobey the order.

[excerpt, page 133]

Frenzied braves danced and waved tomahawks as they poured rum down their throats. Suddenly, a tall Abnaki gave a bloodcurdling war cry. Hundreds took up the cry and began killing the defenseless English. Coureurs de bois looked on, delighted, or encouraged their allies to hack away. Hysterical men begged Canadian officers on their knees for protection but were refused. The outnumbered regulars were powerless against the mob.

Montcalm heard the uproar and came running with his officers. This was not what he wanted, or expected, and he felt ashamed. He stood in the midst of the slaughter and tore open his shirt. "Kill me, but spare the English who are under my protection," he shouted, pointing to his bare chest. About a hundred were already dead but Montcalm put hundreds of others nearby under his personal protection. More regulars were called.

The rest of the English stampeded down the trail or stumbled through the woods, where they soon became lost. Many were naked, having been stripped by the Indians. Hundreds had deep cuts and large bruises covering their bodies. General Webb ordered signal guns fired every few minutes to guide them to Fort Edward. That was the full extent of the help he gave.

[excerpt, ibid, in Montreal, where the Indians ransomed English captives for two kegs of brandy each, except for those prisoners who were to be saved for the victory celebration]

Bougainville, who had arrived the day before with Montcalm's report of the siege, was horrified at what he saw. The Indians got drunk and ran through the streets pushing, kicking and threatening Canadians. "At two o'clock," Bougainville wrote his mother, "in the presence of the entire city, the Indians killed one of the English soldiers, put him in a kettle, and forced his unfortunate comrades to eat him." Bougainville could only add, sadly, "What a land! What a people!"

[excerpt, page 134]

Although Montcalm had risked his life to save prisoners, the massacre left a stain on an otherwise clean reputation. Englishmen never forgot, or forgave, what happened at Fort William Henry. Sooner or later, they vowed, they would pay off the murderers. If ever a French garrison fell into their power the regulars would be treated as prisoners of war. It would be otherwise with Indians and Canadians, especially coureurs de bois.

[excerpt, ibid]

Montcalm withdrew to Ticonderoga and then to Montreal to plan his next moves.

The Indians, too, went home. They brought loot, and scalps, and stories of their own heroism. Those who had scalped the dead in the smallpox cemetery brought something extra. During the fall and winter of 1757, the disease raged among the tribes of the western Great Lakes and prairies. Tribesman, delirious with fever, leaped into streams and drowned. People covered with tiny, puss-filled sores were driven mad by the itching; many went blind. Nearly the entire Potawatomi nation perished. Thus, at least some of the fort's victims took their revenge.

The French and Indian Wars 1754-1763: The Imperial Struggle for North America
Seymour I. Schwartz

[figure 59, page 90]

A large-scale period French map entitled "Attaques du Fort William-Henri" shows the plan of the fort, the English entrenchments (the fort was not large enough to hold everyone and appx. 1200 English and Colonial militia were camped outside the fort), the disposition of French troops and their Indian allies, the surrounding forest and rivers, and the glade where the massacre took place.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Albert Marrin

The book is not footnoted, but has a decent bibliography of relevant sources and publications dating back to the mid-1800s.

<snip>

View Quote

And thus we see why the native Americans were often viewed as "blood-thirsty savages" by colonials and their descendants for several generations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a book on scalping and torture practices of the eastern tribes.

Despite what PC revisionist history says, they didn't learn scalping from the English.

A dubious honor is that how long they tortured you and drew out your death reflected how they respected you as an adversary.  If they really respected you, it could go on for days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Albert Marrin

<snip>

And thus we see why the native Americans were often viewed as "blood-thirsty savages" by colonials and their descendants for several generations.

I have a book on scalping and torture practices of the eastern tribes.

Despite what PC revisionist history says, they didn't learn scalping from the English.

A dubious honor is that how long they tortured you and drew out your death reflected how they respected you as an adversary.  If they really respected you, it could go on for days.

Worked with Mohawk Ironworker for a while back in the '80s, talked to him about some of that, he claimed that if they really really respected you, if you had been exceptionally brave in battle your warm heart was considered a delicacy.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top