Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/31/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/

A year ago this New Year’s Eve, John Filippidis of Florida was driving south with his family on Interstate 95 when the Maryland Transportation Authority Police pulled over his black Ford Expedition and proceeded to raid it while his twins, wife and daughter looked on — separated in the back seats of different police cruisers.

The officers were searching for Mr. Filippidis‘ Florida-licensed, palm-size Kel-Tec .38 semi-automatic handgun, which he left at home locked in his safe. (Maryland does not recognize handgun permits issued by other states.)

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/#ixzz3NULI99O7
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There was talk about Illinois State Police doing that to Missouri residents since your CCW was initially an endorsement marked on your drivers license here.  Apparently the CCW endorsement was "probable cause" in their minds.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't go there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I can see a new tactic for the drug crews. Get some of their straight connects to run blocking in a car with gun stickers and smile as you drive by watching the cops toss a clean vehicle, while you have a dozen guns and multiple kilos in the trunk of your car.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#4]
How does one  "raid" a car?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Throw in a few flash bangs and send in an entry team.  Kind of like a clown car in reverse.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh? Spray & pray.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I stay out of commie states.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm just here to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Am I being detained?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#10]
how do the officers know?

radar xray drones high in the sky that follows every gun owner in the country. you cant see them, they hide them in clouds.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
That article leaves more questions than answers.

Did he consent to the search?   How did the MD police know he has a Kel-Tec .380?

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That article leaves more questions than answers.

Did he consent to the search?   How did the MD police know he has a Kel-Tec .380?

View Quote

That's what I'd be more curious to know. Not whether he consented or not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Would you arrest a cop for doing this because obviously they lied under oath when they swore to uphold the constitution?

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Living in Virginia and having to travel through MD, DC sometimes into NJ I am very careful.

This has been a discussion around the neighboring states for years. Supposition of this and other things are why some states (including VA i believe) do not  fully share all of their DMV information with MD. Of course there have been accusations of MD getting the info through a backdoor per say, gathering it from other states that MD and VA fully share with.

Most of MD is fairly rural, around Baltimore is the big issue. I have heard of this complaint multiple times, and have been warned that If I am pulled in MD they may ask where my weapon is based upon my states concealed carry permit.

Not sure how true it is but I have heard of several incidents and seen a lot of discussion.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
If there is not an, "and now you know the rest of the story," that is pretty jacked up and BS searches.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and I have problems with different aspects of the article.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/45GLpZQ.gif

Spry little sumbitch, ain't he?  

screwed that quote up  
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#20]
How would they know?

Florida does not attach your CCW permit to your DL.

Sounds like BS to me
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't go there.
View Quote

Ever or spend one cent there either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate when I am in MD on my way to Ohio. Also my mom still lives in MD. In upper Montgomery county where speed cameras are on every corner. Feels like a police state whenever I go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There was talk about Illinois State Police doing that to Missouri residents since your CCW was initially an endorsement marked on your drivers license here.  Apparently the CCW endorsement was "probable cause" in their minds.  
View Quote

As a former MO resident, this is why we always got ours on a separate non-driver license. Nobody would know from looking at your driver's license.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As a former MO resident, this is why we always got ours on a separate non-driver license. Nobody would know from looking at your driver's license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we always advised people to get it on a State ID instead.  But if they run your license they will still find out about the CCW endorsement.  I haven't heard anyone talk about this in a while so I am guessing the issue went away.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Maryland laws for keeping Maryland safe.

Only read page 1 because the Washington Post makes the internets go bananas.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#26]
In other news; Water is wet, and salt is salty.

The best thing to do is leave Maryland, like Beretta did.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
The one guy in the article told the cop he had a gun in the car and was not transporting it legally.

If you are going to travel to states with oppressive gun laws you need to do so legally or shut the hell up and take your chances. He did neither. Worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How would they know?

Sounds like BS to me
View Quote

In Virginia the information is tied into your vehicle registration I believe so they know you have a permit if they run your plates.

Not sure really how that works and now that I think about it several of the company vehicles are registered in my name.  Interesting I may have to research or ask some other people.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How would they know?

Sounds like BS to me
View Quote

If it's not attached to the drivers license then perhaps through questioning?

Why fuck with legal gun owners?  Perhaps they get credit for gun arrests?

"Does anyone in the vehicle have a CCW permit?"

"What type of firearm do you own?"

"Is it on your person now or currently in the vehicle?"

"Do you mind if I take a look for my safety?"
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, we always advised people to get it on a State ID instead.  But if they run your license they will still find out about the CCW endorsement.  I haven't heard anyone talk about this in a while so I am guessing the issue went away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is on a State ID. Also, when I drive from KC to Detroit, I gas up in Iowa so I don't have to stop and spend a dime in Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Living in Virginia and having to travel through MD, DC sometimes into NJ I am very careful.

This has been a discussion around the neighboring states for years. Supposition of this and other things are why some states (including VA i believe) do not  fully share all of their DMV information with MD. Of course there have been accusations of MD getting the info through a backdoor per say, gathering it from other states that MD and VA fully share with.

Most of MD is fairly rural, around Baltimore is the big issue. I have heard of this complaint multiple times, and have been warned that If I am pulled in MD they may ask where my weapon is based upon my states concealed carry permit.

Not sure how true it is but I have heard of several incidents and seen a lot of discussion.
View Quote

This. I'm super paranoid driving into MD. Always double check my vehicle when I have to venture into DC
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Marylands's a small state. There couldn't be too many major highways heading in.

It would be cool to see billboards warning people entering the state of this problem, sort of like the antis pulled on Florida when it improved its weapons laws.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Racial profiling is bad.  Stopping citizens based on their state is good.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#34]
As I recall, from when this was recent...

The cops asked the normal "do you have any guns/weapons/bombs/nuclear devices in the vehicle", to the wife and she absently mindedly said "my husband puts his gun in the center console" or whatever. Essentially, the wife caused the search by volunteering information she shouldn't have, and which was incorrect. (the gun was not in the car, because the driver did not have a MD ccw)
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don't go there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't go there.

gotta pass through on the way to free states to the south

Quoted:
Marylands's a small state. There couldn't be too many major highways heading in.

I-95, the major North-South Corridor on the Eastern Seaboard.  Kinda hard to avoid if you don't feel like driving an extra 6-8 hours out of the way.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't go there.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would they know?

Sounds like BS to me

That article is not giving the full story.

Not sure what it is...but that's not it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As I recall, from when this was recent...

The cops asked the normal "do you have any guns/weapons/bombs/nuclear devices in the vehicle", to the wife and she absently mindedly said "my husband puts his gun in the center console" or whatever. Essentially, the wife caused the search by volunteering information she shouldn't have, and which was incorrect. (the gun was not in the car, because the driver did not have a MD ccw)
View Quote

Hope he left her on the side of the road when it was over.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The one guy in the article told the cop he had a gun in the car and was not transporting it legally.

If you are going to travel to states with oppressive gun laws you need to do so legally or shut the hell up and take your chances. He did neither. Worst of both worlds.
View Quote
The constitution is the supreme law of the land. An ACT is not a law if it violates the constitution. It seems on this site we are our own worst enemies.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Would you arrest a cop for doing this because obviously they lied under oath when they swore to uphold the constitution?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrest for what?   (I sense massive stupidity is about  to occur)
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How would they know?

Sounds like BS to me
View Quote

Florida made their CCW list available to a number of states, among them MD.  

They got a hit off of a license plate reader.  Apparently complying with the law of another state is PC in MD, and a stop was initiated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#42]
They did elect a Republican Governor
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They got a hit off of a license plate reader.  Apparently complying with the law of another state is PC in MD, and a stop was initiated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would they know?

Sounds like BS to me

No.  That's not how it works.  That's not how ANY of this works.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets see violation of his oath. Lying under oath is a crime everywhere, locally and federally. Or are you one who says the 2nd amendment does not mean the right to bear arms shall not be infringed?

Here is federal laws

18 U.S.C. § 1621 : US Code - Section 1621: Perjury generally - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/79/1621#sthash.Hu8Nc4hk.dpuf

Whoever - (1) having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or (2) in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true; is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/79/1621#sthash.Hu8Nc4hk.dpuf

Here is texas law

Sec. 37.02.  PERJURY.  (a)  A person commits an offense if, with intent to deceive and with knowledge of the statement's meaning:

(1)  he makes a false statement under oath or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made and the statement is required or authorized by law to be made under oath;  or

(2)  he makes a false unsworn declaration under Chapter 132, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(b)  An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a non-resident VA CCW permit, and have for years.  I live in shit hole Maryland.  I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I have never had a cop say anything to me while pulled over in md.  I drive there often since im on the border.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Is that cop on the hood of a moving car, while simultaneously shooting the fuck out of the driver through the windshield?

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#49]
from the above link

POSSIBLE SCENARIO:  Mr. Filippidis was identified by the MCAC database, his license plate cross referenced to his Florida CCW permit, an alert transmitted to the patrolling Maryland officer, and the rest is outlined in the article.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is that cop on the hood of a moving car, while simultaneously shooting the fuck out of the driver through the windshield?  

That's awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's awesome.

That is indeed what you are seeing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top