Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/27/2014 2:11:22 AM EDT
Link

Thirteen Port Authority police officers will make more than executive director Pat Foye’s $289,000 annual salary thanks to overtime, according to an analysis by The Record that was published Thursday.
And the top 43 Port Authority overtime earners all worked for the agency’s police department.
View Quote

The top overtime earner was Officer Morris Cofield, a 21-year veteran who more than tripled his base pay of $69,231 by logging $172,919 in overtime during the first nine months of the year. He averaged 59 hours of overtime a week, The Record reported.
View Quote

Now that's some final 3 year total I bet. Cha-ching !!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, 14+ hour days, every week for 9 months?

I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Link

Thirteen Port Authority police officers will make more than executive director Pat Foye’s $289,000 annual salary thanks to overtime, according to an analysis by The Record that was published Thursday.
And the top 43 Port Authority overtime earners all worked for the agency’s police department.
View Quote

The top overtime earner was Officer Morris Cofield, a 21-year veteran who more than tripled his base pay of $69,231 by logging $172,919 in overtime during the first nine months of the year. He averaged 59 hours of overtime a week, The Record reported.
View Quote

http://i.imgur.com/4QYDZP4.gif
View Quote

Sleeping on the job....
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for him.
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow...way to stack the pension! If he was a stand up guy the first 20 years..fine. honestly in my experience guys that game the system  that hard are normally shit bags...hopefully this guy was the exception
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck that, I hope he has a good tax guy, uncle sam doesn't make all that ot worth it for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
These are either single guys, with no lives, or married guys with old hags at home, that they really don't want to go home to.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck that, I hope he has a good tax guy, uncle sam doesn't make all that ot worth it for me.
View Quote

They're doing it for the pension.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These are either single guys, with no lives, or married guys with old hags at home, that they really don't want to go home to.
View Quote

old hag better understand the bring home pension and fucking deal with it for 3 measly years
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh cool, but still FIT hurts me down to my soul. Do they also get an annuity?

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much would that increase the pension?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:36:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Old hag better understand the bring home pension and fucking deal with it for 3 measly years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old hag better understand the bring home pension and fucking deal with it for 3 measly years

"Honey I could work straight 8s and bring home an approximate $5000 a month pension after 20 years or I could work all this OT and bring home $8000 or so a month"
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3000 or so a month.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$3000 or so a month, for life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixt?
right?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

fixt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixt?

Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm impressed.
View Quote

Other less informed people might call it "Stealing"
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in the automotive division, and we fixed everything that a Port Authority facility used; so at Kennedy Airport for example, that's everything from crash/ fire trucks, snow blasts and plows, down to lawnmowers, and we didn't get near that kind of OT, unless it was a very snowy Winter.

We could convert it to comp time instead of getting a higher taxed paycheck, so you could work two Saturdays, and extend your vacation by three days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$3000 or so a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3000 or so a month.

That is a lot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate how in the northeast these agencies are always something "authority."

Bow down to the New Jersey Water Authority
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#23]
$173K in NYC money...

On a regional cost-of-living basis, that's like - what, maybe $14K in OKC or ELP money?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$173K in NYC money...

On a regional cost-of-living basis, that's like - what, maybe $14K in OKC or ELP money?
View Quote

You take that $8K/mo pension and move the fuck out of NY to someplace with a far lower cost of living.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#26]
They're gaming the system, but why is the system set up to be so easily gamed?  

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tier 6 no OT not anything counts toward pension.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sleeping on the job....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

http://i.imgur.com/4QYDZP4.gif

Sleeping on the job....

^ He's right you know.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Got a buddy who did this for three years... Two extra shifts a week (60hr week) every week for 3 yrs.  Managed to build a $400000 house for $300000.  Lotsa OT!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm impressed.
View Quote

Probably slept for a few of those 14 hours. I know guys that work 2 fulltime LE jobs, and they manage to sleep several hours during graveyard shift.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Port Authority of NY&NJ is obviously a bi-state agency, and was set up in the 1920s as an act of the U.S. Congress.

There are two people who control it, they are the respective Governors of N.Y. and N.J. together, and through the years they don't always agree on lunch!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#33]
If I work OT, much less my normal hours, I have to actually produce something for the time that I charge.  I guess for some of these guys just being alive is sufficient.  The hell if they're doing much all the time and the hell if they couldn't get someone else instead.  Awful misuses of taxpayer dollars if you're paying 3x someone's salary.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If I work OT, much less my normal hours, I have to actually produce something for the time that I charge.  I guess for some of these guys just being alive is sufficient.  The hell if they're doing much all the time and the hell if they couldn't get someone else instead.  Awful misuses of taxpayer dollars if you're paying 3x someone's salary.
View Quote

75k a year for the rest of my life suck it NY.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Probably slept for a few of those 14 hours. I know guys that work 2 fulltime LE jobs, and they manage to sleep several hours during graveyard shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm impressed.

On a side note, may offices now come with a down room that includes cots or bunks.  There is a good bit of research that shows 45 min power naps or short 2-3 hour rest breaks between double shifts can dramatically increase the health of the employee.  Some places also have what they call "serenity rooms" with beds, quiet music, and whatnot.

It seems strange to those used to rigid corprate culture but it has legitimate benifits and allows employees to work longer hours with higher productivity.  

Look at how some of the more "milenial" companies handle employees...free organic healthy food, comfortable environment, relaxed atmosphere, flexible time...there is something to be gained from some of the data on how all that ends up working.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh come on

These officers would never do anything unethical at tax payer expense.

I am starting to wonder who the criminals are these days

But hey....it's only tax payer money right?  And to think they beleive they are patriotic...fucking their fellow citizens
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#37]
nm....
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got a buddy who did this for three years... Two extra shifts a week (60hr week) every week for 3 yrs.  Managed to build a $400000 house for $300000.  Lotsa OT!!!
View Quote

True patriot...i wouldnt claim a person like that as a buddy...one who fucks the public to pad his personal account
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm impressed.

Thats called theft not work
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Yea, yea, So how many of those guy`s stay in ny,  most bail out .Take your cash and run for Florida or some where cheap, these pensions are killing us
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yea, yea, So how many of those guy`s stay in ny,  most bail out .Take your cash and run for Florida or some where cheap, these pensions are killing us
View Quote

or GA?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#43]
So why is it that they don't just hire an extra guy for each of the guys that are racking in more than 20 hours of OT per week?  It sounds more cost effective.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You take that $8K/mo pension and move the fuck out of NY to someplace with a far lower cost of living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$173K in NYC money...

Sounds like a good plan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And to think they beleive they are patriotic...
View Quote

They do?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Still probably cheaper (When it comes to benefit and retirement) of hiring 4-5 new officers to cover that shit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So why is it that they don't just hire an extra guy for each of the guys that are racking in more than 20 hours of OT per week?  It sounds more cost effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's what their union said.

Quoted:
Still probably cheaper (When it comes to benefit and retirement) of hiring 4-5 new officers to cover that shit.

It's cheaper in pension costs alone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Say....why are municipalities struggling with their budgets all the time?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#49]
The PA rakes in plenty of toll money and can always raise the tolls some more I suppose.

You gotta' see these toll rates......

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Say....why are municipalities struggling with their budgets all the time?
View Quote

The PA of NY&NJ isn't a municipality, a state or a country, it's an agency that has NO power of taxation; only operates by setting fees at the toll plazas on river crossings between NJ and NYC, charge airlines various landing and take-off fees, charge bus companies fees at the terminal,  fares on the Port Authority Trans-Hudson RR (PATH), etc.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top