Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 12/26/2014 10:22:27 AM EDT
Just posted tonight in a local gun group.  This is the first specific letter I have seen dealing with the sig brace, and an AR15.  This is not the same letter that you have all seen, it is new, as in tonight.  Or you can wait a couple days or so and I am sure TAG or some other better late than never gun blog will have it in there. I did not write the letter, I have nothing to do with it, just passing along the information.

----------------------------

Edit to add new pics of entire letter that I received from the individual that wrote the inquiry.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Who honestly didn't see that coming? I've anticipated that such a ruling would be coming down the pipe ever since the craze started for guys wanting to add these braces to "pistols". If you want an SBR, just get the stamp and have the real thing. Gotta pay to play unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what happens when people keep poking the bear...it bites back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry, I must have mised the source of this letter? I have have read official letters from the ATF contradicting almost every point in this letter. The fact that a piece of equipment is used outside of its intended purpose without modification does not change it's classification, and this has long been the stance of the ATF. Firing a semiautomatic weapon at an exceptionally high rate of fire does not reclassify said semiautomatic weapon as a machinegun. I may be wrong, and this may be new and if that's the case then this sucks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or depriving the bear of its tax dollars

I have no idea if the letter is legit, but it is interesting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I don't care, either way. . SBRs are better and I will have even 14.5s as so.  But I will still have at least one pistol with no brace and a CPL...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
USA's version of this situation. It's really just as absurd.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I don't care, either way. . SBRs are better and I will have even 14.5s as so.  But I will still have at least one pistol with no brace and a CPL...
View Quote

I agree, and I love my SBRs.  I have pistol tubes, I just did not enjoy them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, I must have mised the source of this letter? I have have read official letters from the ATF contradicting almost every point in this letter. The fact that a piece of equipment is used outside of its intended purpose without modification does not change it's classification, and this has long been the stance of the ATF. Firing a semiautomatic weapon at an exceptionally high rate of fire does not reclassify said semiautomatic weapon as a machinegun. I may be wrong, and this may be new and if that's the case then this sucks.
View Quote

There are two other letters in the last month dealing with a similar situation where the BATFE says that shouldering a Sig Brace on a AOW shotgun is illegal, and the other saying shouldering some new blade brace on an AR15 is illegal
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
"Designed to be fired from the shoulder" and "firing from the shoulder" are two completely different things.

The SIG Brace, even as noted in this letter, is not "designed" to be fired from the shoulder.

Again, I note, most modern handgun technique uses a two-handed grip, but the weapon is "designed to be fired with one hand".
Firing a handgun with two hands does not make it an SBR any more than shouldering a pistol with a SIG Brace.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep poking. Maybe we'll get to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Who honestly didn't see that coming? I've anticipated that such a ruling would be coming down the pipe ever since the craze started for guys wanting to add these braces to "pistols". If you want an SBR, just get the stamp and have the real thing. Gotta pay to play unfortunately.
View Quote
It's not a ruling. You could probably ask the same questions and get a different letter. These letters are written to people asking specific questions. Look for ATF guidance to dealers that they post on the ATF website.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Designed to be fired from the shoulder" and "firing from the shoulder" are two completely different things.

The SIG Brace, even as noted in this letter, is not "designed" to be fired from the shoulder.

Again, I note, most modern handgun technique uses a two-handed grip, but the weapon is "designed to be fired with one hand".
Firing a handgun with two hands does not make it an SBR any more than shouldering a pistol with a SIG Brace.
View Quote

According to that letter (the second sentence of the fifth paragraph of the answer), the very act of shouldering a pistol with a Sig brace in and of itself redesigns the pistol into a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
How did we get to the point where regulatory/enforcement agencies basically create and define law? If the local police were allowed to make up traffic statutes at will people would be in the streets rioting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

According to that letter (the second sentence of the fifth paragraph of the answer), the very act of shouldering a pistol with a Sig brace in and of itself redesigns the pistol into a rifle.
View Quote

So then, my Glock is an SBR when I fire it with a two-handed grip, right?

And Shouldering a receiver extension without the SIG Brace also makes it an SBR, Right? (Even though previous ATF letters have approved shouldering with and without the SIG Brace).
Classification is based on characteristics, not method of use.
If someone found themselves in court any semi-competent lawyer would tear this up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How did we get to the point where regulatory/enforcement agencies basically create and define law? If the local police were allowed to make up traffic statutes at will people would be in the streets rioting.
View Quote

They don't create law / regulations.  What they do is offer interpretations of if and how existing laws apply to specifically-posed questions.  Technically, these are only opinions.  But since they're opinions coming from the government agency tasked with enforcing firearms laws, they tend to carry weight tantamount to law.
I suppose that the alternative is that they don't offer any opinions and you get to wonder if your novel product is going to make you a test case in the courts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Well... I'm going to standby and wait on the source of this letter. I have a letter directly from the ATF that states they dont care how i use the Brace.... and during this wait..... I am going to Form 1 a couple of lowers. After i get the stamps in about a month.. then I am going to post pics of my new SBRs in all the SBR threads... with the pistol braces still on them.... just to be a dick.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:16:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Tag for later use.

This will get big.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:16:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Is your Glock designed to be fired from the shoulder?

Gun Control Act Definitions

Rifle

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(7) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Neither are the SB15 or the SBX... but it sure seems to magically change them into rifles now according to the unsubstantiated letter
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Neither are the SB15 or the SBX... but it sure seems to magically change them into rifles now according to the unsubstantiated letter
View Quote

Correct.  Assuming that the letter is legit, this represents a change in the BATFE's opinion after seeing about a bajillion people using the brace as a shoulder stock.  Or it could be the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and nothing has really changed.  Who knows at this point.
Quick!  Somebody send the BATFE a letter asking for yet another opinion!

Actually, since we're just seeing the answer, I'd really like to know what the specific question was.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Gun Control Act Definitions

Rifle

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(7) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
View Quote

Thank you making my "designed" point for me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not so sure that what you think happened actually happened there, guy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmmm.  Consider this a tag.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#24]
is it April first already?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Hmmm....No header... No signature... The source of this letter is where?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Tagged for follow up
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I will believe it once I see an official letterhead and signature from the firearms technology branch.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I'm pretty sure it did, pal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was wondering.  Perhaps there's a second page?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Until we know who authored and endorsed the letter who cares?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Or...Perhaps it's a fake letter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Getting the full information now to post.  Will update OP shortly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#33]
If this is some premptive April Fools shit....

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Until we know who authored and endorsed the letter who cares?
View Quote
Whomever wrote it wrote "should" instead of "shoulder" in the second to last paragraph too.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Or...Perhaps it's a fake letter.
View Quote

Obviously.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#37]
It doesnt help you have morons claiming the sig brace is a legal sbr and posting pictures using sig brace as a stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#38]
OP edited to add all three pages that I just received from the individual that wrote the letter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Click click...click click click.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#40]
this "acting chief" is the same guy told Black Aces theirs was illegal to shoulder
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP edited to add all three pages that I just received from the individual that wrote the letter.
View Quote

This stems out from an inquiry?  Why? Did they not believe all the other thousands of letters already out there?  

People wrote inquiry letters until they got what they wanted period.  Time for another inquiry.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This stems out from an inquiry?  Why? Did they not believe all the other thousands of letters already out there?  

People wrote inquiry letters until they got what they wanted period.  Time for another inquiry.  
View Quote

No kidding.  The question posed in the letter was redundant to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I'm pretty sure it did, pal.
View Quote

I'm not your pal, friend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Lets close this thread and pretend it never happened
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lets close this thread and pretend it never happened
View Quote

Or send inquiry letters to the BATFE until Arfcom gets an opinion that it likes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

No kidding.  The question posed in the letter was redundant to say the least.
View Quote

Well, it does appear that he was wondering if the mixture of the AFG plus the SB15 would cause any changes in classification.  Legitimate question, at least in my eyes.

Don't be pissed at the people trying to keep their ass out of hot water, be pissed at the idiots that make firearms laws convoluted and confusing as fuck.

ETA:  Especially when the ATF clarifies that approvals they give out in "opinion letters" are only valid for the person the letter is addressed to.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#48]
So that letter trumps this letter?

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Well, the one in the OP is newer, so in effect it may supersede it.  I'm assuming it'd probably be stupid to write to the tech branch and ask for their opinion, or clarification, on the discrepancies between the two letters.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Folks need to STOP WRITING LETTERS TO ATF ABOUT THIS.

But they won't, like the assholes that made/advertised 5.45 pistols and promptly got the cheap surplus banned from import...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top