Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have to disagree.  He may be a anti gun asshole but he is a pretty good actor. I don't think I have ever seen a movie with him in it that I didn't like.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
He's really good in Boogie Nights and The Departed.  

He SUCKS in Shooter.  Bob Lee Swagger is another type altogether.  

He's a C+ overall at best.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your wrong cause
Shooter
The Italian job
The big hit

Ted
Boogy nights
We own the night

I can go on, should I?

View Quote

Yup good movies. Maybe the OP is just jealous because "Marky Mark" could probably buy him out 100 times over!

Most people probably have never seen The big hit. It's funny as hell!
There are a lot worse actors out there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I like a lot of Marky Mark's movies, but I agree that he's not all that great of an actor.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know him, but my gut says that now, as a grown up, he's a good guy that has a fairly clear view on what's important and what's not.  
View Quote

Nope. “Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away.  …I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

That quote was found here

There's also an alternate version of the same talking point: “I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” Mark Wahlberg bemoaned in the Herald Sun in 2007. “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

That one was found here

There's also this

The guy is just another typical Hollywood phony like Sylvester Stallone. All too ready to make an easy buck holding a gun on set, and then dashing the 2nd Amendment in his off time.

Mark Wahlberg can suck my balls.

(I did like Shooter though.)
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope. Sorry. You are incorrect.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate his political views, like I do most actors, but he isn't that bad.  

Now Matt Damon, he is unwatchable, he ruined Saving private Ryan.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
This is the worst "actor" I have ever seen. He has ruined everything I have seen him in. He doesn't even try to "act". He Ruffalos everything. I don't understand how the film industry operates. They will continuously re use the same shit mongrel over and over and over and there has to be millions of people that would do a better job if given a chance.

Im almost ashamed with myself over how much I hate this guy. If I ever see him getting mugged he's on his own

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Shooter was seriously one of the worst films of the last 20 years. By "the last 20 years" I mean, it was one one of the worst films I've ever seen in my entire life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, he "fit the bill" in Shooter.

Shooter was seriously one of the worst films of the last 20 years. By "the last 20 years" I mean, it was one one of the worst films I've ever seen in my entire life.
Do you even gun bro?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Most people probably haven't seen it, but I enjoyed "Fear".  He was much younger then but it was a perfect roll for him IMO.  

He was good in Departed as well.

I don't think he was bad in Shooter, just horribly miscast.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#14]
There is not one movie he has been in that is not absolutely amazing...

I am not sure what the problem is...

From Fear to Boogie nights, he was and is the shit!!

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The Departed and Rock Star were good ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
He was/ is a worse singer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never seen "Tank Girl" then have ya.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do you care what another man does as his job?

He didn't post here that you suck at what you do.

Freedom.   Get some and quit being a bitch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

First post did not nail it.  
He is not a good actor by any stretch.
Also, Arfcom should be reviling him due to his thug past and having blinded an innocent man for no reason at all.
View Quote

Assaults and conviction

Wahlberg had been in trouble 20–25 times with the Boston Police Department in his youth. By age 13, Wahlberg had developed an addiction to cocaine and other substances. At 15, civil action was filed against Wahlberg for his involvement in two separate incidents of harassing African-American children (the first were siblings, and the second incident was a group of black school children on a field trip), by throwing rocks and shouting racial epithets. At 16, Wahlberg approached a middle-aged Vietnamese man named Thanh Lam on the street and, using a large wooden stick, knocked him unconscious while calling him "Vietnam fucking shit". That same day Wahlberg also attacked a second Vietnamese man named Hoa "Johnny" Trinh, punching him in the face. He believed he had left his victim permanently blind in one eye. Trinh was interviewed in December 2014 by the Daily Mail, who revealed that he had already lost his eye during the Vietnam war, was not severely injured by Wahlberg, and did not know the identity of his assailant prior to being contacted by the media. According to court documents regarding these crimes, when Wahlberg was arrested later that night and returned to the scene of the first assault, he stated to police officers: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the mother-fucker who's (sic) head I split open." Investigators also noted that Wahlberg "made numerous unsolicited racial statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'."

For these crimes, Wahlberg was charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to two years in Suffolk County Deer Island House of Correction. He ultimately served only 45 days of his sentence.  In another incident, the 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack. Commenting in 2006 on his past crimes, Wahlberg has stated: "I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes." He said the right thing to do would be to try to find the blinded man and make amends, and admitted he has not done so, but added that he was no longer burdened by guilt: "You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."]

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Assaults and conviction

Wahlberg had been in trouble 20–25 times with the Boston Police Department in his youth. By age 13, Wahlberg had developed an addiction to cocaine and other substances. At 15, civil action was filed against Wahlberg for his involvement in two separate incidents of harassing African-American children (the first were siblings, and the second incident was a group of black school children on a field trip), by throwing rocks and shouting racial epithets. At 16, Wahlberg approached a middle-aged Vietnamese man named Thanh Lam on the street and, using a large wooden stick, knocked him unconscious while calling him "Vietnam fucking shit". That same day Wahlberg also attacked a second Vietnamese man named Hoa "Johnny" Trinh, punching him in the face. He believed he had left his victim permanently blind in one eye. Trinh was interviewed in December 2014 by the Daily Mail, who revealed that he had already lost his eye during the Vietnam war, was not severely injured by Wahlberg, and did not know the identity of his assailant prior to being contacted by the media. According to court documents regarding these crimes, when Wahlberg was arrested later that night and returned to the scene of the first assault, he stated to police officers: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the mother-fucker who's (sic) head I split open." Investigators also noted that Wahlberg "made numerous unsolicited racial statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'."
For these crimes, Wahlberg was charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to two years in Suffolk County Deer Island House of Correction. He ultimately served only 45 days of his sentence.  In another incident, the 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack. Commenting in 2006 on his past crimes, Wahlberg has stated: "I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes." He said the right thing to do would be to try to find the blinded man and make amends, and admitted he has not done so, but added that he was no longer burdened by guilt: "You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, Arfcom should be reviling him due to his thug past and having blinded an innocent man for no reason at all.

Assaults and conviction

Yup, everyone knows that.

Has nothing to do with his on screen characters.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I rated it as a 'fair' until I read the book, then it went to the 'total shit' category.  Should have done it as it was in the book, with an older vietnam vet.  Sam Elliot would have been perfect as Bob Lee.

I just find the whole anti-gun act irritating, as the only reason he is, is due to the fact that he's not allowed to own any.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assaults and conviction

I tend to judge people by who they are not who they pretend to be on screen.

I understand this thread is about his horrible acting so I will just bow out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes he is.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

At least he's better than Nick Cage.
View Quote
Not that that is setting the bar very high.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#27]
OP must have gotten coal in his stocking
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Most people probably haven't seen it, but I enjoyed "Fear".  He was much younger then but it was a perfect roll for him IMO.  

He was good in Departed as well.

I don't think he was bad in Shooter, just horribly miscast.
View Quote

Yup. Great movie, and this made me like him as an actor.

Fuck his politics.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
100% agree
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Mark wishes OP a Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The one where he is a crooked cop in Boston is pretty good.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boogie Nights is a great movie.
He sucks in everything else.
The one where he is a crooked cop in Boston is pretty good.  

I thought he was the angry, shunned "Rogue cop" who turned out to be the good guy in the end, per the final scene right above your post.

The Departed was good, and the music from that final scene reminds me of how sad and soulful a Telecaster player Roy Buchanan was.  It's too bad he killed himself.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't agree with his politics but he is a decent actor.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have to disagree.  He may be a anti gun asshole but he is a pretty good actor. I don't think I have ever seen a movie with him in it that I didn't like.
View Quote

You have obviously not seen The Happening.
Keep it that way.

But, to be fair, he was only part of that movie's utter failure.
I don't like the guy at all, but I think he is a decent actor.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is not one movie he has been in that is not absolutely amazing...

I am not sure what the problem is...

From Fear to Boogie nights, he was and is the shit!!

View Quote

I don't overly like or dislike him or his acting, but enjoy some of his movies overall.

However some of you have never seen a fairly recent movie of his. I think it's Pain and Gain(?) it's him and the ex wrestler Rock or something. It's free on Amazon Prime and I couldn't even make it thru. Pitiful.

I liked him in Planet of the Apes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Not the best but not bad either...I have to disagree with the OP
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree he is a massive douche  

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got a few of his movies. I don't think he's the best actor out there, but I'm really not a huge movie critic. I'm happy to be entertained for an hour and a half. So, whatever OP. Did Mark really piss in your Cheerios?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#38]
He's a dirty thug who beat an innocent man until he had irreparable damage that he'll  have to live the rest of his life with. Now he's some big movie star? No, he should be put in a hole and left there. He's overrated as far as actors go too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Disagree.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Mark does ok. I like most of his movies. I think brother Donnie is just a little bit better than him though.

And I dont understand the hate for Nic Cage. He is an excellent actor. He plays one role very very well, Nic Cage.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He's a dirty thug who beat an innocent man until he had irreparable damage that he'll  have to live the rest of his life with. Now he's some big movie star? No, he should be put in a hole and left there. He's overrated as far as actors go too.
View Quote

See above. The thing about him making a guy loose his eye is false.

He was a coke head hot head back in the day and went to jail for it. It would seem he has changed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#43]
He also did "entourage" which I thought was awesome.
Oh and emmanuelle chriqui
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#44]
He's a star, a great big shining star.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nope. Sorry. You are incorrect.
View Quote

This...

"Maybe fuck yourself"

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Wasn't he in band of brothers?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't know him, but my gut says that now, as a grown up, he's a good guy that has a fairly clear view on what's important and what's not.  
View Quote

Rabidly Antigun.....Hypocritically so...like Stallone, Neeson and a lot of other "Action' Movie Actors
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Mark just read your post and well...

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Assaults and conviction

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assaults and conviction

The question was about Wahlberg as an actor. OP said he was a bad ACTOR, and wanted to know if others agreed. For the most part it seems that those that don't like him is because of his past and what he did in his personal life.....not acting. The only actor that I can't stand both on screen and off is Sean Penn, that SOB is worthless on both ends, IMO.

An actor is just that, an actor, they play a different person in different movies/shows. How anyone can hate an actor just for what they have done in the past is beyond me, I don't even know why these people bother watching movies or TV. Some people get so bent over some very insignificant things. I would bet that there are more actors out there with a checkered past than not, so to dislike an actor because of their past must mean that you don't watch much tv or movies, or do you not take the time to investigate the actors you like as deeply as the ones you do not.....?

It's kind of like not buying a VW because the company was started basically by a very powerful crazy socialist hell-bent on ruling the world.....that was then, this is now, VW make some badass vehicles.

Hate on whoever you want for whatever reasons you want, it is America after all. I just don't get how folks can get so wrapped around a famous persons' life, past or present, to determine if they like them as an ACTOR.....makes no sense to me at all. I am by no means a huge Wahlberg fan but I do think he is a good actor regardless of what he has done in the past, I couldn't give a shit. There are many more liberal douchebag anti gun environment loving actors I like as well.......as actors, which are once again the fake people they play in a movie or show, not real life...

Just my $0.02
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top