Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
I don't want a M1A so don't say that is the answer.

I'm wanting to know if anyone has done it. I've already modified a schuster gas plug to be externally adjustable, it would take some designing and testing but it could be made hand adjustable or "switchable".

The trick would be sorting out the mount and how to hold the gas tube in place.

The plan is to send my CMP garand to schuffs and have it converted to a tanker, if it could be suppressed that is just and added bonus.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't seem like some complicated task one would have to consult with GD for. Oh wait.. thats what GD is all about
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't seem like some complicated task one would have to consult with GD for. Oh wait.. thats what GD is all about
View Quote

I feared burning at the stake if I posted this in the M1 forum, those guys don't like abstract thought with their "precious"

The idea is basically a fast handling rifle with and forward mounted T-1, the suppressor is just because
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what would be fast handling about it...super long and heavy.  I guess the suppressor will give you extra leverage if you need to use it as a club.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to suggest getting a M1 flash hider and modifying (i.e. welding a QD suppressor mount to it).  I did a quick google search and found this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_6/417381_M1_garand_flash_hider_question.html

look at Essayons post about the blank fire adapter.  I would do what he suggests and then you could thread mount or thread on a QD mount.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was going to suggest getting a M1 flash hider and modifying (i.e. welding a QD suppressor mount to it).  I did a quick google search and found this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_6/417381_M1_garand_flash_hider_question.html

look at Essayons post about the blank fire adapter.  I would do what he suggests and then you could thread mount or thread on a QD mount.
View Quote

ETA:  It would probably be cheaper/easier to just get a .308 AR carbine of some sort, but I understand that sometimes that's not the goal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I would call Smith Enterprise and ask if they have a threaded gas lock like for the M14.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
U w0t m8?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know what would be fast handling about it...super long and heavy.  I guess the suppressor will give you extra leverage if you need to use it as a club.
View Quote

Without the suppressor...

with it on a Schuffs tanker it would be slightly longer than a standard M1 depending on the can I get.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're gonna get a facefull of gas.
View Quote

Ok

So house do you solve it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Gas blowback and operating rod potential issues . I have a suppressed M1A , You will get gas in your face  , You can reduce the gas issue with an adjustable gas plug. you can not totally eliminate it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA:  It would probably be cheaper/easier to just get a .308 AR carbine of some sort, but I understand that sometimes that's not the goal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already got a MA-10, I love it but a tanker M1 is something I've always wanted for a close in hunting gun
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Well shit let's just give up then, fuck it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Or accept it and move forward.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I honestly dont know why I even try to help anyone anymore
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Accept what, that someone on the internet said that it would happen?

I'm sure it will happen, I'm more interested in how to solve it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're sending it to Shuff's and if he shortens your barrel rather than using his own (I don't know what he does) you could have the gas cylinder cap threads extend all the way to the muzzle rather than ending under the cap thing.  You probably want the threads to be longer than the muzzle currently extends past the gas cap because it will have those three slots cut in it.  Then you make a can with the same thread (9/16-32 I think).

Oooorrrr... This thing Exists.  You could cut the muzzle brake part of it off and then cut a .8125 or .75" thread on the outside, and again make your own can to match it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I honestly dont know why I even try to help anyone anymore
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

You can't suppress the M1 Garand because you can't suppress FREEDOM!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet those guys at Red Jacket could do it for ya.  They always loved a challenge and short deadlines
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]
That would be something to see. I have no idea how to solve your problem but hey go for it.
Oh and you'll probably get some gas in your face.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#24]
You sound like a guy on a mission so have fun with it .

You do realize the tanker Garands were never taken past prototype level by the gov for a reason?

I have long suspected the guys with the socoms and other short  M1A types were more excited by the image and looks that by any real
useable function .

You do realize the Garand guys are collecting twigs and sticks to pile around the bottom of the stake as we speak?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#25]
In one of Peter Senich's books, there is a photo, from Korea, of an M-1 in the field (in the hands of an Army sniper, IIRC), equipped with a Maxim-type silencer.

So, it is certainly do-able.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You do realize the tanker Garands were never taken past prototype level by the gov for a reason?

I have long suspected the guys with the socoms and other short  M1A types were more excited by the image and looks that by any real
useable function .

You do realize the Garand guys are collecting twigs and sticks to pile around the bottom of the stake as we speak?
View Quote

From what I understand the Schuffs tankers are good to go, i haven't heard anything bad about his work. That does to mean that people don't have problems with them, I just haven't read of any
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#27]
SACRILEGE!
Especially since its a CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Do it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From what I understand the Schuffs tankers are good to go, i haven't heard anything bad about his work. That does to mean that people don't have problems with them, I just haven't read of any
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

useable function .

His work is excellent. I had one done by him, and had him send it to adco for them to thread the barrel with an adaptor with threads on it so I could put a 308 battlecomp on it. You could just as easily have them cut whatever threads for you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Only pic I have left of it. It was a new 308 barrel too.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

His work is excellent. I had one done by him, and had him send it to adco for them to thread the barrel with an adaptor with threads on it so I could put a 308 battlecomp on it. You could just as easily have them cut whatever threads for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

useable function .

I was hoping you would show up

I got the idea years ago from your rifle
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I suppressed an M1 a few years ago. When I realized I could only shoot 120 or so grain bullets at subsonic speeds that made it an 8 shot bolt action I switched to an M1A, and then a AR10. If you have a gunsmith you want to provide a good christmas for and a love of buying operating rods go for it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#33]
... you really want an M1A
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#35]
You are going to smash your thumb
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
SACRILEGE!
Especially since its a CMP Garand.
View Quote

Nah

That would be letting one of the greatest semi auto rifle actions in the history of small arms design to be relegated to only being a working piece of history.

It has it's drawbacks we all know that, so why not design to its strengths. Shorten the barrel and load your 30-06 with heavy 185gn bullets and mount a T-1 out front.

Now you have a tough hard hitting compact semi auto rifle that is one of the best pointing rifles ever designed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I suppressed an M1 a few years ago. When I realized I could only shoot 120 or so grain bullets at subsonic speeds that made it an 8 shot bolt action I switched to an M1A, and then a AR10. If you have a gunsmith you want to provide a good christmas for and a love of buying operating rods go for it.
View Quote

Did it have an adjustable gas plug?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
... you really want an M1A
View Quote

I used to, then I bought a MA-10

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#39]
No Garand expert but I know how the operate on a basic level. Experimenting with different powder burn rates and working up the gas pressure on each load using the adjustable plug to get it to cycle doesn't seem impossible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No Garand expert but I know how the operate on a basic level. Experimenting with different powder burn rates and working up the gas pressure on each load using the adjustable plug to get it to cycle doesn't seem impossible.
View Quote

Pressure isn't the issue. It is the curve. An M1 is made to be what it is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

useable function .

It was a lot of fun. Only sold it when I needed money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would call Smith Enterprise and ask if they have a threaded gas lock like for the M14.

View Quote

Does it come with the totoenkopf etched into it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#44]
This... I'd like to see.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Why would you want to suppress something that goes *PING*?

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Why would you want to suppress something that goes *PING*?

View Quote

It'll still do that. It'll just go pew-pew-pew-PING!

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Some of Shuffs work, he is top notch
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top