Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 5:35:50 PM EDT
I'm not certain this is good.  I get a lot of business done via voicemail and phone calls.  Perhaps they're just moving to cell phone voicemail.  

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-coca-cola-voice-mail-20141222-story.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do I care?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Dumb move...  They'll be back...

I didn't have voicemail from August through last Friday.  (Our entire system went FUBAR and had to be replaced.)  It was a pain in the ass...  I couldn't cold call suppliers and give them my direct line because I might not be at my desk when they called back.  The poor front office girl had to handle 10 times the usual phone traffic the last few months just so everyone wouldn't be glued to their desk.

Business by cell phone?  Hell naw!  Then I'll be getting calls at all hours.  Obviously, some folks like sales and service people work better with cells.  I'm engineering tooling.  If something goes wrong we'll talk about it on Monday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Coke taste like Pepsi with a cigarette in it......   If you're going to drink liquid sugar   it should taste sweeter like pepsi
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Good. Email me.

I can't tell you what a waste of time voicemails are.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good. Email me.

I can't tell you what a waste of time voicemails are.
View Quote

This.  If you need to communicate asynchronously, use a medium designed for asynchronous communication.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The expectation is that without voice mail, employees will have one less thing to check in on. Many had already expressed a preference for doing away with it, the company said.
View Quote

What year is this? They don't have Unified Messaging? Both Avaya and Cisco have had this forever. My voicemails show up as .wav file attachments to emails, in my normal Exchange mailbox. I haven't used my desk phone to check voicemails in years.

That said, I'd be ticked pink if we ditched it. Two less servers for me to maintain.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Don't need voicemail when you're tethered 24/7 by an electronic leash.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Coke taste like Pepsi with a cigarette in it......   If you're going to drink liquid sugar   it should taste sweeter like pepsi
View Quote

Drink Pepsi with cigarettes in it often?

Coke > Pepsi

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Our rather large company ditched voice mail for just about everyone.

First they outsourced it. Then they just flat out did away with it.

"Cost savings".

Guess what's up next for "cost savings".
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Given that they're downtown Atlanta with a LOT of tele-commuters and heavy, heavy users of MS Lync I'm not surprised. Coke has its IT shit together but is somewhat a sweat-shop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Given that they're downtown Atlanta with a LOT of tele-commuters and heavy, heavy users of MS Lync I'm not surprised. Coke has its IT shit together but is somewhat a sweat-shop.
View Quote

So are we (2013). But man, there are still a lot of old school dudes (read: Baby Boomers who should retire) mucking shit up for me.

I'm trying to get them acclimated to the new and fun shit...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been cell phone only for the last 8 years....no office phone since I work from home.   I have noticed a big reduction in voice mails over the last 2-3 years.   Email level has stayed about the same.   I do text more with customers than I have done in the past.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]

who needs voicemail when you have the latest technology... facsimilie machines!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top