Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 10:46:50 PM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIctGbAZEQ

A precise, real-time (exactly 85 minutes - the length of the actual event) reenactment of the 1942 Wannsee Conference, in which Nazi and SS leaders gathered in a Berlin suburb to discuss the "Final Solution to the Jewish Question". Lead by SS-General Reinhard Heydrich, this group of high ranking German officials came to the historic and far reaching decision that the Jews of Europe were to be exterminated in what would come to be known as the Holocaust.

The movie was written by Loring Mandel (inspired after viewing a 1984 documentary on the subject), directed by Frank Pierson, and starred an ensemble cast, including Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich and Stanley Tucci as Adolf Eichmann. Branagh won an Emmy Award for Best Actor, and Tucci was awarded a Golden Globe for his supporting role as Eichmann.
View Quote

A stenographic record of the meeting was taken and copies sent to each of the participants. They were supposed to destroy them but one copy was found in 1947. Surprisingly, a number of those present weren't found guilty of war crimes for one reason or another. A rundown of their fates is at the end of the film.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIctGbAZEQ

A precise, real-time (exactly 85 minutes - the length of the actual event) reenactment of the 1942 Wannsee Conference, in which Nazi and SS leaders gathered in a Berlin suburb to discuss the "Final Solution to the Jewish Question". Lead by SS-General Reinhard Heydrich, this group of high ranking German officials came to the historic and far reaching decision that the Jews of Europe were to be exterminated in what would come to be known as the Holocaust.

The movie was written by Loring Mandel (inspired after viewing a 1984 documentary on the subject), directed by Frank Pierson, and starred an ensemble cast, including Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich and Stanley Tucci as Adolf Eichmann. Branagh won an Emmy Award for Best Actor, and Tucci was awarded a Golden Globe for his supporting role as Eichmann.
View Quote

A stenographic record of the meeting was taken and copies sent to each of the participants. They were supposed to destroy them but one copy was found in 1947. Surprisingly, a number of those present weren't found guilty of war crimes for one reason or another. A rundown of their fates is at the end of the film.

View Quote

Well worth watching.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It was so strange seeing them argue that yeah we should exterminate the Jews but I don't know if this plan is exactly legal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Fantastic film.  Colin Firth offered a great performance as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was so strange seeing them argue that yeah we should exterminate the Jews but I don't know if this plan is exactly legal.
View Quote

That is how government bureaucracy works.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good film, scary really.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bureaucrats have this bizarre view of laws as things they absolutely have to obey, but their main goal every day is finding ways to get around those laws to do what they really want to.  The challenge of the chess game against "the rules" becomes a huge focal point of their life.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
It was weird to watch as they decided on a whim...lets just kill Jews...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You should check out "Die Wannseekonferenz".......it's the movie HBO copied to make "Conspiracy"......it's in German (subtitled)....I actually like it better....real Germans playing the parts instead of American actors with slight English accents makes a lot of diference....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It's available on Amazon Prime instant video as well. Haven't gotten around to it

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You should check out "Die Wannseekonferenz".......it's the movie HBO copied to make "Conspiracy"......it's in German (subtitled)....I actually like it better....real Germans playing the parts instead of American actors with slight English accents makes a lot of diference....

http://web.ard.de/ard-chronik/uploads/assets/f2Rb0R2PfRhh9RhP2d1R1.jpg
View Quote
most of the actors were british....

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
It annoys me they speak in English.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember seeing it on HBO back in the day. A little dry at times due to the meeting aspect, but overall a good film that shows just how easily men can justify genocide.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Need to make a drinking game out of the heils
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]
bttt
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
well that was creepy as hell

this, boys and girls, is why you dont give govt a lot of power
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a pen and and I've got a phone
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Great flick, it's on Amazon Prime too.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
well that was creepy as hell

this, boys and girls, is why you dont give govt a lot of power
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought the DVD about a year ago and have watched it hundreds of times.  Its an amazing film and the detail is flawless.  

We must remember that although the film is accurate in the general sense, much of the conversations being said by different persons, tone, inflection, intent, emotion, etc can only be surmised.  The only person who apparently was ever thoroughly interrogated about the meeting was Eichmann while a prisoner of the Israelis so its pretty safe to assume that his version of events may be tainted.  The other attendees, if questioned at all, denied knowledge or claimed to not remember what occurred.  And it may be possible that some may not really remember because meetings such as this took place quite often in the Third Reich and the Wannsee Conference, at the time at least, was not a standout meeting in most respects.  It mainly was a meeting called by Heydrich to assert his dominance and control of the "Jewish Question" and not a lot else.  The holocaust had pretty much already started, all it needed was some of the other bureaucracies to get with the program as petty rivalries were rampant in the Third Reich.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, a very good film. Very well done. The acting is superb- chilling in fact.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]
An outstanding movie. Kenneth Branagh is an excellent actor and he really does a great job, as does Stanley Tucci and the rest of the cast.
In my opinion it should be required viewing for every high school student. When my children are old enough they will be required to watch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yes, a very good film. Very well done. The acting is superb- chilling in fact.
View Quote

Hearing Nazi characters speak with British accents always seems odd to me.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#28]
All done nice and legal.  Proof that government can do anything to anyone anywhere at any time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All done nice and legal.  Proof that government can do anything to anyone anywhere at any time.
View Quote

Government is force.  It's an imaginary construct that gives people the imaginary moral authority to use violence to force you to comply with their wishes.  I don't think Stossel is an anarchist, but this mistitled video hits the nail on the head.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I bought the DVD about a year ago and have watched it hundreds of times.  Its an amazing film and the detail is flawless.  

We must remember that although the film is accurate in the general sense, much of the conversations being said by different persons, tone, inflection, intent, emotion, etc can only be surmised.  The only person who apparently was ever thoroughly interrogated about the meeting was Eichmann while a prisoner of the Israelis so its pretty safe to assume that his version of events may be tainted.  The other attendees, if questioned at all, denied knowledge or claimed to not remember what occurred.  And it may be possible that some may not really remember because meetings such as this took place quite often in the Third Reich and the Wannsee Conference, at the time at least, was not a standout meeting in most respects.  It mainly was a meeting called by Heydrich to assert his dominance and control of the "Jewish Question" and not a lot else.  The holocaust had pretty much already started, all it needed was some of the other bureaucracies to get with the program as petty rivalries were rampant in the Third Reich.
View Quote

I guess I disagree with the premise that it's not accurate beyond a general sense - it's accurate in a quite literal sense. We know who was there, and exactly what they said. Their inflection, tone, etc. may be guessed - but the words are what are damning, not the tone or inflection. In fact, if the meeting was not as animated and contentious as parts of the movie portrayed, it might be even MORE damning that men could so casually set about decisions like genocide.

I can't think of a more accurate movie, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#31]
A friend bought it, recommended I watch it.

I watched it.

Then I bought it.

When people start running off at the mouth about how the Nazis were crazy I recommend that they watch it.

It opens their eyes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://web.ard.de/ard-chronik/uploads/assets/f2Rb0R2PfRhh9RhP2d1R1.jpg
View Quote

Thank you. That's the movie I was thinking of when I read the OP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I guess I disagree with the premise that it's not accurate beyond a general sense - it's accurate in a quite literal sense. We know who was there, and exactly what they said. Their inflection, tone, etc. may be guessed - but the words are what are damning, not the tone or inflection. In fact, if the meeting was not as animated and contentious as parts of the movie portrayed, it might be even MORE damning that men could so casually set about decisions like genocide.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie intents that Dr. Stuckart was against the general movement of the holocaust as presented by Heydrich and especially the change in status of Half and Quarter Jews and that he did so vociferously.   Dr. Kritzinger was also shown as more or less morally against the whole idea and would have opposed it had he not been threatened with violence by Heydrich.  Those are both suppositions that were put in the movie without a completely factual basis, and may or may not be accurate.  In fact one of Dr. Stuckart's children had been born with mental defects and he had allowed it to be killed in the T4 program, which was the forerunner of the gassing of the Jews.  This action does not correspond with the character portrayed in the movie.  

Eichmann in his testimony claimed everyone came to agreement very easily at the meeting to Heydrich's ideas and both he and Heydrich were surprised by this.  It is unknown how truthful this is, but there probably is some truth to it.  Also in the actual Protocal Minutes Dr. Nauman's request for Jews for industry was granted in the meeting, whereas in the movie it basically was not.  We must remember that although the move is a wonderfully done recreation, the information available was exceedingly limited and it is a drama.

I agree that this movie is about as good as it gets for recreating the Wannsee Conference and it should be a real learning experience for people.  The general ideas, themes and actions are accurate, we just cannot know the conversations verbatim as the actual recorded minutes were never found, only the Eichmann prepared summary.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Fucking chilling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top