Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 8:23:57 PM EDT
So I have this perfect Pomeranian, Simo, and this neurotic Chihuahua, Lyudmila, that I rescued to keep him company. They love each other, but he nibbles her hocks and barks at her when she's getting pets. I very recently started taking them both upstairs to my bedroom to hang out. First couple times it was perfect. Couple days ago, he comes up while I'm snuggling her and she goes psycho on him. I said "no!", she stopped, and I grabbed him and cuddled him right in front of her to make a point that Simo gets cuddles too and that's that. Simo was skittish about coming up to me while she was there the rest of the evening though. He's up here alone with me, tonight, happily chewing toys and poor Mila is downstairs by herself.

I know "guarding" a human is a dominant behavior. I don't know how dominant or submissive either dog is, or what order they have for themselves, just that I'm at the top. He picks on her a bit, but she tells him when she's had enough. I have her on Prozac, and I'll continue leash training and add obedience. In the mean time do I just continue cuddling them both at the same time for a "get used to it" message? Anybody want a healthy, sweet, cuddly, fearful 8 lb Chihuahua with guarding behaviors?

TLDR: Mila bit Simo for cuddling "her" human. I said "tough, get used to it", cuddled both at once and continued with leash and obedience training. Am I on the right track?

eta: Simo

Mila

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. You are the alpha, let the dogs know.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Careful when you associate human attribute to animals/pack. That's not how it works. Jealousy is not in there vocabulary.

Edt: Leashes are a great way to obedience train. If you have them on in "problem" areas....good place to start.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a cat to keep them both in line.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Careful when you associate human attribute to animals/pack. That's not how it works. Jealousy is not in there vocabulary.
View Quote

You're right. Is this an attempt to dominate me or is it an attempt to dominate the other dog? Or both?

Because she's terrified of me and she lets the other dog push her out of the way at other times and he gnaws on her and annoys her with impunity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or just urinate on them to establish dominance.

Both strategies have worked fine in my home.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Edt: Leashes are a great way to obedience train. If you have them on in "problem" areas....good place to start.
View Quote

I just started being able to pet her and pick her up a bit ago. And now I have her in a halter without her fish flopping everywhere. The leash is the next step. So far, she still rolls. She's a treat hound, though, so we'll get there same as we did for the other things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simo's absolutely perfect and doesn't need to change a thing. Mila is terrified of me. I don't think peeing on either of them would help or they'd both be very wet dogs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Simo says "don't hate me because I'm beautiful".

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a black lab and live with something goofy rather than neurotic?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Simo is cute, but got the crazy eyes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll take the Chi, then?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have three large hyper dominant dogs, Dutchies and Mal's. One is just getting to be six months old and is learning her place in the pack. The others are quick to shove her on the ground by her throat to show dominance. While they could kill her, they don't but once in a while they will fight and with these breeds it can be a bit scary. I just let it happen and then correct them to keep it from going to far. Dogs obviously establish a pecking order and some are more aggressive about it than others. My one female in particular was somewhat the dominant dog out of three that is until today when my male decided he had enough and once again, showed whose boss. Essentially they get jealous over everything from time with me to toys and even food. I put them in a down stay whenever they take things to far and they stay down for about an hour or so until I release them. Just work obedience with them and understand they are dogs, they will decide on their own who is next in line after you in their little pack.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Simo is cute, but got the crazy eyes.
View Quote

You wouldn't mock The White Death if you knew him. The horror, the horror....

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't have a dog that small, I might step on it and crush it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
dogs are awesome...however...dogs need to know the rules and who's the fucking alpha and what is acceptable...brb, cooking up a dinner pic with deer sausage for the dags
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]

There is no reason for Chiwawa's to exist. They add nothing to this world.

The other dog is at least cute and might make a good companion.

Leave the door open and let the ugly rat dog get some freedom.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have three large hyper dominant dogs, Dutchies and Mal's. One is just getting to be six months old and is learning her place in the pack. The others are quick to shove her on the ground by her throat to show dominance. While they could kill her, they don't but once in a while they will fight and with these breeds it can be a bit scary. I just let it happen and then correct them to keep it from going to far. Dogs obviously establish a pecking order and some are more aggressive about it than others. My one female in particular was somewhat the dominant dog out of three that is until today when my male decided he had enough and once again, showed whose boss. Essentially they get jealous over everything from time with me to toys and even food. I put them in a down stay whenever they take things to far and they stay down for about an hour or so until I release them. Just work obedience with them and understand they are dogs, they will decide on their own who is next in line after you in their little pack.

View Quote

So just keep at it, huh. Ok.

My only experience before Simo was pits and bully breeds. I think I read them better. Did the same thing you do: "I'm at the top, sort the rest out amongst yourselves". Had to separate a female from the group who kept challenging the top female, but didn't have what it takes to back up her aggression for her own safety.

Is the real problem that I'm preventing Mila from driving Simo away from me? If she had her way, he'd be far from me and she'd get all the cuddles. That's not acceptable to me, and it's not going to happen, so am I trying to force an unnatural pack order to suit my idea of "cuddles for everybody at the same time"?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you have a handle on things

The dogs with fall in line
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Just vying for pack position to be close to the alpha.  

Start correcting the bad behavior. A good non-violent way to do it is to crate the dog up immediately when they start doing that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is no reason for Chiwawa's to exist. They add nothing to this world.

The other dog is at least cute and might make a good companion.

Leave the door open and let the ugly rat dog get some freedom.

View Quote

Mila made an awesome companion for her previous owner for seven years. She's cuddly and sweet, quiet but a good watch dog, and very happy to see me. She normally tolerates Simo very well, and keeps him company. That's why I got her. Because she was in really rough shape after her mom died and Simo needed company.

If I give up on her, I'll post it here and if that doesn't work, I'll try to place her through a rescue, into a home like her original one. She's a very good "little old lady" dog.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Start correcting the bad behavior. A good non-violent way to do it is to crate the dog up immediately when they start doing that.
View Quote

I put my hand on her while yelling "no", she rolled right over, and she didn't do it again when I grabbed and cuddled the other dog. Do you think that's enough? I didn't remove her from the bedroom because I figured she'd forget in two seconds why she'd been removed but she'd be reminded watching me cuddling him.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooo.... in other words, you've got nothing.

Thanks for playing, though. You'll be getting a participation "trophy" in the mail. Don't shake the box though, she's fragile.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My only experience before Simo was pits and bully breeds. I think I read them better. Did the same thing you do: "I'm at the top, sort the rest out amongst yourselves". Had to separate a female from the group who kept challenging the top female, but didn't have what it takes to back up her aggression for her own safety.

Is the real problem that I'm preventing Mila from driving Simo away from me? If she had her way, he'd be far from me and she'd get all the cuddles. That's not acceptable to me, and it's not going to happen, so am I trying to force an unnatural pack order to suit my idea of "cuddles for everybody at the same time"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Females are the more dominant generally in the pecking order. Two females can be a disaster. Males are more laid back even if he is much larger than your female, the male will generally let her run things. If your male is smaller than your female, well he's pretty much going to be the bottom of the pack no matter what and there is nothing you can do about it. Pet them both at the same time, not one over the other- as that encourages even more aggression. My older female really liked the new puppy when we got her but now that little puppy is growing up and the older one is trying to show her whose boss- constantly. I just put them in their crates if they get out of hand or down stay until they fall asleep. The breeds I have can turn from a casual fight to an all out brawl in seconds- stitches and vet bills I care not to pay for so being super controlling over them at all times keeps the order.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#25]
We raise Great Danes. We've become very good with training, because there's no other choice. Right now we have three. Most owners don't walk their dogs, their dogs walk them. We can't be that permissive with 500 pounds of them, so they're very well trained. I've won bets walking them downtown with dental floss.

Their whole world is about hierarchy. When a wolf pack runs, no one but the leader makes independent decisions. Not even to pee. An owner can tell dogs, in language that they understand, their place in the pack. After that, everything else falls into place.

Examples of how to say that you are in charge, in dog language: you go through doors first. You eat first. You don't go to them, they come to you. When you feed them, you hold their bowls out to your sides until they stop staring at it and sit and make eye contact with you. (That's their way of acknowledging that the food is yours, and asking politely for it). When they act up, you pin them to the ground on their back, with a hand on their neck, until they stop struggling and become submissive. If you're consistent with it, you can have well-mannered dogs in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
A spray bottle of water works too

After a while you don't necessarily need to use it, just keep it in reach
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for playing, though. You'll be getting a participation "trophy" in the mail. Don't shake the box though, she's fragile.
View Quote

I had a dog once! It was a black lab, hence my suggestion

Sadly I don't have the time to have/raise a dog on my own
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Females are the more dominant generally in the pecking order. Two females can be a disaster. Males are more laid back even if he is much larger than your female, the male will generally let her run things. If your male is smaller than your female, well he's pretty much going to be the bottom of the pack no matter what and there is nothing you can do about it. Pet them both at the same time, not one over the other- as that encourages even more aggression. My older female really liked the new puppy when we got her but now that little puppy is growing up and the older one is trying to show her whose boss- constantly. I just put them in their crates if they get out of hand or down stay until they fall asleep. The breeds I have can turn from a casual fight to an all out brawl in seconds- stitches and vet bills I care not to pay for so being super controlling over them at all times keeps the order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's 5lbs, and she's 8 lbs. He looks about 12 lbs, but it's height and fluff. I need to make sure I pet them equally. When I come home and they're excited to see me, he usually elbows her out of the way. Right now, he's next to me on the bed while she languishes downstairs. It's not ideal, but I can't control two dogs and type at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We raise Great Danes. We've become very good with training, because there's no other choice. Right now we have three. Most owners don't walk their dogs, their dogs walk them. We can't be that permissive with 500 pounds of them, so they're very well trained. I've won bets walking them downtown with dental floss.

Their whole world is about hierarchy. When a wolf pack runs, no one but the leader makes independent decisions. Not even to pee. An owner can tell dogs, in language that they understand, their place in the pack. After that, everything else falls into place.

Examples of how to say that you are in charge, in dog language: you go through doors first. You eat first. You don't go to them, they come to you. When you feed them, you hold their bowls out to your sides until they stop staring at it and sit and make eye contact with you. (That's their way of acknowledging that the food is yours, and asking politely for it). When they act up, you pin them to the ground on their back, with a hand on their neck, until they stop struggling and become submissive. If you're consistent with it, you can have well-mannered dogs in a couple weeks.
View Quote

I have no doubt I'm in charge in their heads. Simo's perfect and Mila rolls over when I look at her. I"m continuing obedience and leash training for Mila. I just don't know what more to do to keep her from trying to keep Simo away from me in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's terrified of me, do I need a spray bottle? I use one on the boy, but he's not scared, just rambunctious and then obedient after squirting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mila's like a houseplant. Never goes outside (yet) and is well out of the puppy crazies. She just wants to be close to you when you're home. You're perfect for her. I can dye her black and teach her to swallow things, for a real lab experience, if you like.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are serious about getting rid of the chihuahua, I'll take it.

ETA: my 7lb mutt could use a good friend his size. He loves it when I have to watch my neighbors chihuahua.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only time I ever physically correct my dog by a neck scruff or something is when it's a behavior that could end up being dangerous. Crating works, but I also like the crate to be a refuge for him, so I don't use it solely for time out.

When we're on furniture, he may not climb up unless invited. He must leave at an "off" command. When his behavior is just getting generally annoying, I'll have him go into a down-stay or go to his "place." If the dog is having unfettered access to your bed, lap, etc., and storing toys on your bed, then you've allowed the dog to have an elevated pack status. My wife did that with our Scottish Terrier, and it was frustrating to me.

Sometimes the "dead dog" command plus pointing my finger like a gun enters the repertoire. That simply means "lie still on your side and don't move." It looks like a silly trick, but I taught it for good reason (e.g. vet exams, quieter position than a standard down, etc.)

TL;DR:
Controlling the environment is a tool to help control the behavior.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mila's like a houseplant. Never goes outside (yet) and is well out of the puppy crazies. She just wants to be close to you when you're home. You're perfect for her. I can dye her black and teach her to swallow things, for a real lab experience, if you like.
View Quote

There's no way she can eat a whole chocolate cake in 3 gulps, or make an entire turkey _disappear_. Shit, she might not even survive eating a whole stick of butter. All of which, labs do. At least mine did

Nice try though!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The only time I ever physically correct my dog by a neck scruff or something is when it's a behavior that could end up being dangerous. Crating works, but I also like the crate to be a refuge for him, so I don't use it solely for time out.

When we're on furniture, he may not climb up unless invited. He must leave at an "off" command. When his behavior is just getting generally annoying, I'll have him go into a down-stay or go to his "place." If the dog is having unfettered access to your bed, lap, etc., and storing toys on your bed, then you've allowed the dog to have an elevated pack status. My wife did that with our Scottish Terrier, and it was frustrating to me.

Sometimes the "dead dog" command plus pointing my finger like a gun enters the repertoire. That simply means "lie still on your side and don't move." It looks like a silly trick, but I taught it for good reason (e.g. vet exams, quieter position than a standard down, etc.)

TL;DR:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TL;DR:

This guy gets it.

Only time I've gotten physical with my dogs aside from play is when I had to break up a dog fight my GSD got into. Fuckers who let their dogs run loose are moronic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Dogs on Prozac.

This place has it all!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.

Only time I've gotten physical with my dogs aside from play is when I had to break up a dog fight my GSD got into. Fuckers who let their dogs run loose are moronic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TL;DR:

This guy gets it.

Consistency and knowing "house rules," IMHO, is critical to having a well-adjusted and stable dog. My numbskull gets obnoxious sometimes, and is still very much a doggy dog. He does things like eat an entire bag of Halloween candy and then have his stomach pumped, etc. In general, though, I couldn't be happier with this dog that knows his place in our family unit and seems to be pretty satisfied with his lot in life. He knows boundaries, and knows we aren't arbitrary bullies who administer nonsensical punishment.

There is still plenty for me to learn as an owner. I've invested a significant chunk of time and money in getting training help from experts. We also were fortunate to find a dog whose biggest desire in life is companionship and pleasing his owners, so he's motivated easily for praise. And a ball. "Ball! Ball! Hey, master, my ball is stuck down...[grunt]...here, and I don't have opposable thumbs go grab it. I'm going to keep flailing at it with my paw until you take pity."

Mine's the boxer on the right. The lab is my sister's dog who came to visit this weekend. I think he's a fairly happy dog.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Buster and Dona look demonic due to camera flash, but they both agree if you want to rehome the chihuahua, it's got a spot on the bed.

After re-reading the thread it sounds like a shitload of handler error on your part that has the dogs in the situation they're in.

I'd suggest getting in touch with a good trainer.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Consistency and knowing "house rules," IMHO, is critical to having a well-adjusted and stable dog. My numbskull gets obnoxious sometimes, and is still very much a doggy dog. He does things like eat an entire bag of Halloween candy and then have his stomach pumped, etc. In general, though, I couldn't be happier with this dog that knows his place in our family unit and seems to be pretty satisfied with his lot in life. He knows boundaries, and knows we aren't arbitrary bullies who administer nonsensical punishment.

There is still plenty for me to learn as an owner. I've invested a significant chunk of time and money in getting training help from experts.

Mine's the boxer on the right. The lab is my sister's dog who came to visit this weekend. I think he's a fairly happy dog.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/BEFEB84C-9182-4085-986E-026DB630A1CB_zps9z2rrvfv.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TL;DR:

This guy gets it.

There is still plenty for me to learn as an owner. I've invested a significant chunk of time and money in getting training help from experts.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/BEFEB84C-9182-4085-986E-026DB630A1CB_zps9z2rrvfv.jpg

Good looking dogs!

Just want to clarify, me getting physical with my GSD wasn't dishing out punishment, it was breaking up a fight.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

ETA: my 7lb mutt could use a good friend his size. He loves it when I have to watch my neighbors chihuahua.
View Quote

I am. She's a bad fit for my house, and she can't join in the fun Simo and I have at the park or on walks, and now I can't hang out with both of them and relax. But we do have  a stable situation here for her, so don't feel you have to take her if she's not right for you.

She's a super sweet girl, but she's terrified of strangers and takes a while to warm up to people. It took a few days for her to take treats from her sitter. She used to cry when I picked her up and would put her teeth on me until I had her in my arms, where she would calm down and snuggle. She's on prozac, and it helps, but that's $20 a month. She eats dry food, has strong teeth, is spayed, and on Trifexis parasite preventative and is up for shots in May.

I think she'd prefer to potty outside, but she uses the training pads I prefer. She misses the mark sometimes and I have to mop. She's not leash trained yet at all. And of course, there's this new dog aggression issue I never expected.

Oh, and she looks better than in the pic, it was taken in may and her fur has filled in nicely.

She's got issues, and needs a calm house without kids. She'll put her teeth on you and make sounds like you broke her spine until she realizes she's yours. You're a good man for offering, but this is serious 'project dog'.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There's no way she can eat a whole chocolate cake in 3 gulps, or make an entire turkey _disappear_. Shit, she might not even survive eating a whole stick of butter. All of which, labs do. At least mine did

Nice try though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though!

The Mila-gator accepts your challenge.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am. She's a bad fit for my house, and she can't join in the fun Simo and I have at the park or on walks, and now I can't hang out with both of them and relax. But we do have  a stable situation here for her, so don't feel you have to take her if she's not right for you.

She's a super sweet girl, but she's terrified of strangers and takes a while to warm up to people. It took a few days for her to take treats from her sitter. She used to cry when I picked her up and would put her teeth on me until I had her in my arms, where she would calm down and snuggle. She's on prozac, and it helps, but that's $20 a month. She eats dry food, has strong teeth, is spayed, and on Trifexis parasite preventative and is up for shots in May.

I think she'd prefer to potty outside, but she uses the training pads I prefer. She misses the mark sometimes and I have to mop. She's not leash trained yet at all. And of course, there's this new dog aggression issue I never expected.

Oh, and she looks better than in the pic, it was taken in may and her fur has filled in nicely.

She's got issues, and needs a calm house without kids. She'll put her teeth on you and make sounds like you broke her spine until she realizes she's yours. You're a good man for offering, but this is serious 'project dog'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is she around large dogs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/IMG_0673_zps7979cb91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/IMG_0673_zps7979cb91.jpg</a>

Buster and Dona look demonic due to camera flash, but they both agree if you want to rehome the chihuahua, it's got a spot on the bed.

After re-reading the thread it sounds like a shitload of handler error on your part that has the dogs in the situation they're in.

View Quote

She's my train wreck now, but I didn't make her this way, I took her in at 7 years old when her elderly owner died and she went to live with toddlers who terrorized her and adults who totally neglected her to the point of abuse. If I'm screwing up now please help me unfuck myself with pointers or advice. And thank you for the offer to take her, your dogs look happy and cozy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[
Good looking dogs!

Just want to clarify, me getting physical with my GSD wasn't dishing out punishment, it was breaking up a fight.

View Quote

Yeah, got that part. I was referring to some owners I've seen who favor mostly negative reinforcement. It's only been on my 5th dog that I'm realizing the power of "neutral reinforcement." Sometimes a choice isn't good or bad, but doesn't lead to the result that's desired. Sometimes it's very useful to let the dog do a little independent problem solving until he succeeds.

From using that, I now have a dog that will actually try to help indicate if his request is to go outside, refill the water bowl, or point out that maybe it is past time for me to go "hunting" and share some of my kibble kill.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

TL;DR:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TL;DR:

She has no training whatsoever, but she's so shy, she'll get off the bed when told to. She doesn't play with toys, she hardly plays at all, she only relaxes when cuddled.

We're working on not rolling and flopping the second a leash is clipped on, and 'sit for a treat'.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea. She loves dogs in general, but I've never taken her outside the house (except to the vet, where she did very well).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

She's my train wreck now, but I didn't make her this way, I took her in at 7 years old when her elderly owner died and she went to live with toddlers who terrorized her and adults who totally neglected her to the point of abuse. If I'm screwing up now please help me unfuck myself with pointers or advice. And thank you for the offer to take her, your dogs look happy and cozy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/IMG_0673_zps7979cb91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/IMG_0673_zps7979cb91.jpg</a>

First of all, every post you made, you're showing favoritism of your other dog.

Cut out the "snuggle time" with either dog.

I think at one point you stated you had larger breed dogs before you got your Pom. Treat these dogs like you would a large breed dog.

I treat my 7lb mutt the same as I do my GSD. He doesn't sit on my lap when I'm watching TV, he doesn't get to jump up on my leg when I get home because he'
s glad to see me.

My dogs are dogs, regardless of size. That is the single most important thing you have to put in your mind when it comes to training. No matter their size, they are a dog.

Also, the whole "Alpha" dominance theory is bullshit.

As a dog trainer, that is a very frustrating issue I hear a lot. I could rant on it, but it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, got that part. I was referring to some owners I've seen who favor mostly negative reinforcement. It's only been on my 5th dog that I'm realizing the power of "neutral reinforcement." Sometimes a choice isn't good or bad, but doesn't lead to the result that's desired. Sometimes it's very useful to let the dog do a little independent problem solving until he succeeds.

From using that, I now have a dog that will actually try to help indicate if his request is to go outside, refill the water bowl, or point out that maybe it is past time for me to go "hunting" and share some of my kibble kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
Good looking dogs!

I wasn't really sure what the comment was directed at, so I thought best to clarify my statement.

Glad you're of the same mindset as me that force isn't good for training.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#49]
The "Dog aggression issue," what does she do?

Go for the kill, or go apeshit on lead?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I have 2 Pomeranians they are brothers. They don't fight, well not anymore, because one weighs 12 pounds and the other is 30 pounds. I have no idea how Hoss got so big and Duke stayed small. The top pic is Duke and you can see Hoss in the upper right before a hair cut. The bottom pic is Hoss.

They both hope you find a place for Lyudmila, cause poms rule.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top