Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
I am this close to buying a decent quality clone (non-HK) MP5 pistol and converting it to SBR.  I've always wanted one, but if I look at this objectively there's nothing it does that an AR15 SBR won't do better and I'm already covered in that area.  What say you?

Yes, the MPX is coming (someday), but 41P looms on the horizon and I can have something like this in my hands a mere 40-ish days after e-filing.  Here's what I'm thinking (pic stolen from web):
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Get them both...........
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it.
View Quote

Please.

I know I want one
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Go for it- mucho fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it. Who cares about utility?

ETA: it's almost Christmas anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait for the Scorpion Evo
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Had an HK94. Sold it.

Even in SBR form...it's heavy for what it is, dirty, and a PITA to fully clean properly. Pretty much pistol caliber carbines as a whole are a bit pointless when you can get 5.56 or larger caliber rifles in roughly the same size envelope...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

Even in SBR form...it's heavy for what it is, dirty, and a PITA to fully clean properly. Pretty much pistol caliber carbines as a whole are a bit pointless when you can get 5.56 or larger caliber rifles in roughly the same size envelope...
View Quote

Why aren't you just a killjoy?

You are right but they are awesome & everyone should have one. It brings a smile to everyone face when I introduce them to the F position.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Insane amounts of fun.  Especially if you can run it suppressed
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You are right but they are awesome & everyone should have one. It brings a smile to everyone face when I introduce them to the F position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

But what if the particular firearm will never have an F position?  Does it make it a less worthwhile endeavor?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But what if the particular firearm will never have an F position?  Does it make it a less worthwhile endeavor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

Personally, even if it never left the house, I'd still love one.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's attach a dollar figure to this.  To replicate the configuration pictured above, I'm looking at about $3000.  That doesn't include the Aimpoint, which I already own.  This a serious chunk of cash, but I've lived half my life and you can't take federal reserve notes with you. Is shooting 9 mm projectiles at 100 yards maximum worth that kind of money when there's a 5.56 SBR in the stable already?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I was at the range many years ago and seen a school teacher with a MP5, very cool guns, we all tried to talk him into letting a burst go full auto but he wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't do it. Everyone should stop buying MP5s and their ilk immediately...

...so the price can be a bit lower when I've got the money to be in the market for one
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Once things settle down in my life a bit, I'm going to be in the market for one.  Probably a post-sample
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been wanting a mp5 for years and years.

My next gun I purchase will most likely be a mp5 reverse stretch.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

View Quote

It doesn't matter how dirty it gets, it still runs.

It's not hard at all to clean.  

It's a blast, even in SemiAuto.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let's attach a dollar figure to this.  To replicate the configuration pictured above, I'm looking at about $3000.  That doesn't include the Aimpoint, which I already own.  This a serious chunk of cash, but I've lived half my life and you can't take federal reserve notes with you. Is shooting 9 mm projectiles at 100 yards maximum worth that kind of money when there's a 5.56 SBR in the stable already?
View Quote

Mine is set up just like that and I have $2100 in it including the stamp. Mine is a POF and shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Mp5's are cool but are outclassed by today's sbr AR's.  

Do you have a layer out AR shorty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah you defiantly don't want an MP5. They are small and handy and fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is set up just like that and I have $2100 in it including the stamp. Mine is a POF and shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mp5's are cool but are outclassed by today's sbr AR's.  

Do you have a layer out AR shorty.
View Quote

Op says he has SBR AR already covered.

PCCs are perfectly reasonable fun blasting guns.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have to ask you cant afford it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]
You don't even need a 'quality' one to have fun.

I have a POF Clone here and it eats steel (Tula) 9mm and has never had a single issue. Which is more than can be said of trying to run steel ammo through a 'nice' clone.

I am an 07/02 and thus have a full auto trigger pack. Hardly ever gets used though, honestly the semi auto is so much fun and its like shooting airsoft, as there is hardly any recoil.

DO IT.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I never cared one way ir another about the Mp5 until last year when I got the chance to play with one for a whole day on .gov's dime. I now can give you no  reason at all to tell you not to buy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Pure sex
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]
The MP5 is one of my very favorite guns... so sexy and easy to shoot. Love the full auto but if I could get a semi I'd still be tickled.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is boringly accurate with iron sites & when I shoot, mostly semi. I add a can & let friends play with it in the 3rd position.

Cheaper to feed than my 5.56mm guns.

Just do it!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

The closed bolt of the MP5 series is nice.  They are serious fun for shooting steel plates at pistol distances (something you probably don't do with your 5.56 SBR).  

The fly in the ointment, though, is cost.  3k is IMO just too much scratch.  I love pistol caliber carbines for the fun factor but I don't take them overly seriously.  I currently have two PCCs- a Beretta Storm 9mm and a Colt 6450 9mm.  I use them a lot (especially the Storm).  You don't gain much by SBRing the Storm.  A SBR 9mm AR makes sense, though.

If you are looking at 3k for a semi MP5 think strongly about adding 2k and getting an M11/9mm subgun and investing as funds allow in a Lage kit as well as a .22lr conversion.  

Anyhoo you have to follow your own ballistic muse.  As you pointed out it is only $$ in the end.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Great guns, a blast to shoot, and they owned an incredible market share of CQB until the Mk 18 era.

I think they're what a Beretta M9 is to a Glock 17 but still a great piece to have for your collection.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

The MP5K is the only one of the family that really does anything for me.  The new CZ looks promising though, but it is ugly as fuck compared to the HK.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The closed bolt of the MP5 series is nice.  They are serious fun for shooting steel plates at pistol distances (something you probably don't do with your 5.56 SBR).  

The fly in the ointment, though, is cost.  3k is IMO just too much scratch.  I love pistol caliber carbines for the fun factor but I don't take them overly seriously.  I currently have two PCCs- a Beretta Storm 9mm and a Colt 6450 9mm.  I use them a lot (especially the Storm).  You don't gain much by SBRing the Storm.  A SBR 9mm AR makes sense, though.

If you are looking at 3k for a semi MP5 think strongly about adding 2k and getting an M11/9mm subgun and investing as funds allow in a Lage kit as well as a .22lr conversion.  

Anyhoo you have to follow your own ballistic muse.  As you pointed out it is only $$ in the end.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

available all day at $2K
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
available all day at $2K
View Quote

Where?  3K is the total cost for all the shit pictured except aimpoint (stock, Surefire hand guard w/ light, optics mount, etc.).  The base pistol itself starts at 2K unless you can tell me where to find a POF-5 right now (and I mean, TODAY).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#35]
My CA94 SBR is by far my favorite SBR in my collection.

Worth every penny, and totally fun.

I've never understood the "but it's not good at self-defense!!!one1!" angle.  Not all my guns are for that purpose.  Sometimes you just have a gun that is fun to take to the range and blast away with.

9mm is cheap, available everywhere, suppresses great, is great for teaching new shooters on, and the MP5 has a cool factor that not many other guns have.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

MP5 is not work 3k. You're better off getting a decent hobby CNC machine and learn how to use it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm on your side OP.
I've always wanted one also.
I got to shoot a full auto one last spring.
Really neat little guns.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
MP5 is not work 3k. You're better off getting a decent hobby CNC machine and learn how to use it.

View Quote

Use it to do what?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, skip the A3 stock.  Totally pointless.  Looks cool in pictures, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Use it to do what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use it to do what?

Machine your own MP5
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#41]
To sbr a mp5 clone is it better to start with a pistol or carbine?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/a486ec0ad24cbd300c4640b12cbfcf2c_zps076a0349.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/a486ec0ad24cbd300c4640b12cbfcf2c_zps076a0349.jpg

Which length do you prefer?  Going back and forth between these two setups is a big reason why I haven't ever gone through with getting one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
To sbr a mp5 clone is it better to start with a pistol or carbine?
View Quote

Pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I had some pretty awesome HK clones a few years ago. A particularly fun one was the Turkish AT-94K (MP5k clone). I SBR'd it and it was a ton of fun at the range. My other fun one was my Vector V89-40 SBR. I swapped the US made BCG with a German one, and it ran flawlessly. Then I had an MP5A3 kit built into an SBR by Ghillibear, it too was awesome. I sold them all during the Sandy hook aftermath. I kind of regret it, but I made enough off of them to buy a nice car for my wife with cash.

Do it, they are fun guns to shoot when SBR'd and hold their value. People will always love them because of all the 80's and 90's action movies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Where?  3K is the total cost for all the shit pictured except aimpoint (stock, Surefire hand guard w/ light, optics mount, etc.).  The base pistol itself starts at 2K unless you can tell me where to find a POF-5 right now (and I mean, TODAY).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
available all day at $2K

Sorry, $2080.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/d-j-getz-firearms-co/166201-94fs-9mm-rifle-w-multiple-stock-options.html

$140 for the stock at HKParts.net.  

So, $2300 for rifle.

Optics and rails add $$, just as they do on ANY rifles. Including AR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#47]
OP I say do it. I want an MP5 in a bad way even though I fully intend to buy a CZ skorpian next year, the MP5 just gives me a strange boner that I must get one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which length do you prefer?  Going back and forth between these two setups is a big reason why I haven't ever gone through with getting one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

both.

I went full sized first. But I also love the k.  Need some $15 rd mags for the K for looks, but $90? Not gonna spend that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
both.

I went full sized first. But I also love the k.  Need some $15 rd mags for the K for looks, but $90? Not gonna spend that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an HK94. Sold it.

both.

Where can I get 15rd mags?  Stupid ass mag law...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sorry, $2080.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/d-j-getz-firearms-co/166201-94fs-9mm-rifle-w-multiple-stock-options.html

So, $2300 for rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
available all day at $2K

Sorry, $2080.

So, $2300 for rifle.

Dude, I'm looking at the Getz pistol for my project.  So we're taking about the exact same thing, same price, etc. and the extras add price, yes.  So what's your point?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top