Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 1:24:59 PM EDT

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-weapons-exports-reach-new-levels-saudi-arabia-largest-purchaser

At $1.04 billion, the total value of military goods exported by Canada
in 2012 is the largest ever reported since official documentation began
in 1991.

As with all prior reports, the value of exports of military goods to the
U.S. is not included in the report for both 2012 and 2013. Past reports
have noted that Canadian military sales to the U.S. were likely equal
to, or exceeded, sales to all other states combined, although the
government was unable to report a U.S total because military exports to
the U.S do not require permits.
View Quote

That's nice that I (mostly) need to fill out pages of US state department end-user paperwork if I want to buy anything from anyone that isn't already a registered exporter, but actual military exports don't require permits at all.  YAY government!  

ETA:  I've never actually filled out the paperwork - ever, because fuck the rules.  If I can't legally buy something from the US, I either don't buy it at all, or I wait for a Canadian company to bring it in and pay the markup for the privilege of not dealing with your state department (or whomever runs the gong-show know as ITAR).

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-weapons-exports-reach-new-levels-saudi-arabia-largest-purchaser

At $1.04 billion, the total value of military goods exported by Canada in 2012 is the largest ever reported since official documentation began in 1991.

As with all prior reports, the value of exports of military goods to the U.S. is not included in the report for both 2012 and 2013. Past reports have noted that Canadian military sales to the U.S. were likely equal to, or exceeded, sales to all other states combined, although the government was unable to report a U.S total because military exports to the U.S do not require permits.
View Quote

That's nice that I (mostly) need to fill out pages of US state department end-user paperwork if I want to buy anything from anyone that isn't already a registered exporter, but actual military exports don't require permits at all.  YAY government!  

View Quote

I didn't think you were this intellectually dishonest, but I guess I was wrong.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At $1.04 billion, the total value of military goods exported by Canada in 2012 is the largest ever reported since official documentation began in 1991.

As with all prior reports, the value of exports of military goods to the U.S. is not included in the report for both 2012 and 2013. Past reports have noted that Canadian military sales to the U.S. were likely equal to, or exceeded, sales to all other states combined, although the government was unable to report a U.S total because military exports to the U.S do not require permits.

I don't understand.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah hell...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they hosed ya, eh.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That's cute, maybe some day Canada will have a real defence industry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait, there is a Canadian weapis industry? Did they figure out a way to weaponize maple syrup and poutine?  Did they develop a polite bomb?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't understand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice that I (mostly) need to fill out pages of US state department end-user paperwork if I want to buy anything from anyone that isn't already a registered exporter, but actual military exports don't require permits at all. YAY government!

I don't understand.

ITARs (AKA The Arms Export Act) is a US law.  You (as a Canadian) have to deal with our State Depart to buy Munitions List items FROM the US.

ITARs does not apply in Canada to either the Canadian government or Canadian companies or Canadians buying or selling Canadian products ("arms") to Canadians or anyone else.

Items listed on the Munitions List purchased by American companies require US paperwork (Form 6, etc.) but apparently (according to your article) no paperwork from the Canadian government.

SO you're compalianing that you have to deal with the US law / regulations (ITARs) to buy Munitions List items FROM the US, but Canada doesn't have a similar law for exports TO the US.

Two different things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ITARs (AKA The Arms Export Act) is a US law.  You (as a Canadian) have to deal with our State Depart to buy Munitions List items FROM the US.

ITARs does not apply in Canada to either the Canadian government or Canadian companies or Canadians buying or selling Canadian products ("arms") to Canadians or anyone else.

Items listed on the Munitions List purchased by American companies require US paperwork (Form 6, etc.) but apparently (according to your article) no paperwork from the Canadian government.

SO you're compalianing that you have to deal with the US law / regulations (ITARs) to buy Munitions List items FROM the US, but Canada doesn't have a similar law for exports TO the US.

Two different things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice that I (mostly) need to fill out pages of US state department end-user paperwork if I want to buy anything from anyone that isn't already a registered exporter, but actual military exports don't require permits at all. YAY government!

I don't understand.

Two different things.

Canada and Canadians have to deal with the US ITAR law when buying most things out of the US.  

My article said that there is no paperwork required for selling things to the US, and I'm saying that there is paperwork when you buy stuff there.

US ITAR laws should apply to both, no?

Anyways, it doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ouch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.

I am doing my very best to establish a rifle building arsenal.   I out-produced Husqvarna this year
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ouch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.

Lol...

You are blissfully ignorant of how much war making shit we sell.
Everything from FLIR systems to small arms to aviation.
There is one company nearby my workplace that builds parts for your Blackhawk helos... Near my home L3 has a huge facility... Colt Canada's factory is 30 min from where I sit right now.
IIRC most of the napalm used in Vietnam was made in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Outside of govt arsenals and custom shops, are there any commercial manufacturers in Canada?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Outside of govt arsenals and custom shops, are there any commercial manufacturers in Canada?
View Quote

Fluffy the cat has his own arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyways, it doesn't matter.

View Quote

Ergo, this thread doesn't matter?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not sure why there is an international  border between Canada and the U.S.  it should be like a state border. You know like when you drive into New Mexico where they post the pay schedule for speeding so you can decide how fast you want to drive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

....they used to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
$1.04 Billion in defense exports from Canada.

But they will be IMPORTING these:

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top