BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:40:39 PM EDT
#TrafficStopsInParkingLots

Here is an article that turned out well but could have had multiple fatalities

Story

"A police officer had a close call Friday morning after a crash involving his police vehicle.

Authorities say a FedEx truck hit his car as he stood on the side of I-85 during a traffic stop.

The Braselton police officer pulled over a car on the shoulder of I-85 southbound just before the Chateau Elan exit. He was outside of his car when a truck slammed into the patrol car."

There is also video of the impact.  How hard is it to have people drive to an exit and stop at a place that is safe for everyone involved?

If I am pulled over for a traffic issue I will proceed to a safe place.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If there's an option, I always pull onto a small road or parking lot, makes me feel better and I'm sure the LEOs appreciate it as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Story
"A police officer had a close call Friday morning after a crash involving his police vehicle.
Authorities say a FedEx truck hit his car as he stood on the side of I-85 during a traffic stop.
The Braselton police officer pulled over a car on the shoulder of I-85 southbound just before the Chateau Elan exit. He was outside of his car when a truck slammed into the patrol car."
There is also video of the impact.  How hard is it to have people drive to an exit and stop at a place that is safe for everyone involved?
View Quote

Classified as a Slow Speed Pursuit - expect SWAT to arrive before you get there
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Some cops will give you grief if you do not stop immediately. They are the ones that picked when they wanted to stop you, I wouldn't try to manuever the stop to a different location.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Fed ex driver is screwed. We have a law that you must move over one lane or slow below the speed limit when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road when it's lights are on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If there's an option, I always pull onto a small road or parking lot, makes me feel better and I'm sure the LEOs appreciate it as well.
View Quote

If it's extremely close maybe. Not if more than a few seconds of driving.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You gonna to meet Mr. Pit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I got chewed out in a big way once when I pulled into a parking lot instead of over to the side of the road for a speeding ticket. "WE DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS IN PARKING LOTS!"

(Funny ending, though. I reached my saturation point with the ass-chewing, and gave him a bit of a lecture about maintaining the respect of the citizenry by being civil. I figured he'd drop the hammer after that, but he let me go with a warning.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope that their speeding ticket quota was important enough to put peoples lives at risk

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some cops will give you grief if you do not stop immediately. They are the ones that picked when they wanted to stop you, I wouldn't try to manuever the stop to a different location.
View Quote

They can give me grief.   There was a fatality earlier this year in the northeast (PA?) where a scumbag appeared to target a cop on a roadside stop.   Perhaps five minutes and the cop and offending driver car could have been in a safe spot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
How hard is it to have people drive to an exit and stop at a place that is safe for everyone involved?
View Quote

Impossible when the cops who have pulled me over were .03mm off my ass acting as if every inch I drove was an act of utter contempt for them.

If a cop acts like it's real important to stop RIGHT NOW, then that's what I'll do.

I'll pull as far to the right as I can, but I'm stopping as fast as I can no matter where I am.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope that their speeding ticket quota was important enough to put peoples lives at risk  
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me. The Sheriff was always on my ass about that quota.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

What quotas or are you talking out of your ass again?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is it always about a quota? And yes, most officers pick the spot they want you to stop and usually want you to stop immediately. It raises suspicion that the driver and/or passengers are are trying to hide something by continuing driving before coming to a stop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never seen one where the engine came out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
In the event I'm being pulled over and there's a close parking lot, I will gladly pull into it for my safety and the officer's.

It's not always possible, and the larger issue is asshole drivers doing everything other than paying attention to the road and traffic while they drive a 5000# vehicle (texting, calling, music, makeup, eating, etc).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regardless of what your situation was, it happens.

I'm sorry people like me are just annoyed at your kind because of prior experience. For example, the State Patrol frequently pulls people over here during rush hour and bottle necks traffic. There's a point where preforming a "public service" becomes a public nuisance and using common sense should prevail.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why is it always about a quota? And yes, most officers pick the spot they want you to stop and usually want you to stop immediately. It raises suspicion that the driver and/or passengers are are trying to hide something by continuing driving before coming to a stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mostly pre-planned my stops. I would drive through the area and find my hiding spot, then find a spot down the road where it was best to conduct the stop. Once I pulled out in pursuit, I would wait to activate my lights until we neared my desired safe location for the stop. Of course it doesn't always go according to plan, but many times that worked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good friend of mine did that last winter. The cop read him the riot act for that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried that once, and got a 10 minute yelling at from the cop.  Now, I just pull over right where I am, whether it's safe for him or not.  I figure if he wants me to pull somewhere else, he can tell me, either in person, or over the PA.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm sorry people like me are just annoyed at your kind because of prior experience. For example, the State Patrol frequently pulls people over here during rush hour and bottle necks traffic. There's a point where preforming a "public service" becomes a public nuisance and using common sense should prevail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree. It was always a dumb idea to me to run traffic enforcement for minor infractions during rush hour traffic, for the previously mentioned concern of getting run over on the side of the road. I've been there, its not fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I tried that once, and got a 10 minute yelling at from the cop.  Now, I just pull over right where I am, whether it's safe for him or not.  I figure if he wants me to pull somewhere else, he can tell me, either in person, or over the PA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people are just wound too tight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Idiot wanted to pull me over on a blind curve with no shoulder. I say screw it now, not worth getting yelled at and it's his funeral.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A good friend of mine did that last winter. The cop read him the riot act for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's never been a problem for me. And none of those stops ever resulted in tickets.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got chewed out in a big way once when I pulled into a parking lot instead of over to the side of the road for a speeding ticket. "WE DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS IN PARKING LOTS!"

(Funny ending, though. I reached my saturation point with the ass-chewing, and gave him a bit of a lecture about maintaining the respect of the citizenry by being civil. I figured he'd drop the hammer after that, but he let me go with a warning.)
View Quote

You should get the lecture or the ticket, not both.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, he's kinda right. They need to enforce the law, but not at the expense of public safety. We still have to enforce the law with due care for the safety of others. That's why officer discretion exists, so we aren't all robocops.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They can give me grief.   There was a fatality earlier this year in the northeast (PA?) where a scumbag appeared to target a cop on a roadside stop.   Perhaps five minutes and the cop and offending driver car could have been in a safe spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to be threatened and intimated with eluding charges which is most states is a felony for waiting 5 minutes to stop.

You're probably a lot more likely to get a ticket too.

Cops here on this board have said before that they pick the time to put on the lights, just stop where they ask.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This. Idiot wanted to pull me over on a blind curve with no shoulder. I say screw it now, not worth getting yelled at and it's his funeral.
View Quote

It could also be your funeral.  I see dangerous situations for what they are and a routine traffic stop will not put my life at risk.

The cop can yell at me if he chooses, but he (and I) will not end up dead.

Felony alluding?   That is just silly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I tried slowly driving to a safe place once.  The officer wasn't having any of that.  His life, his rules.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I got my ass chewed by a OKHP for driving an extra 20 yards to get off of a major highway and onto a service road.  I explained that I didn't want either of us to get hit by a car going 80+ mph, but he said that I better pull over immediately next time.  It was literally 20 yards, but at least I just got a warning instead of a citation.  Some LEO's are great and some are assholes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I tried slowly driving to a safe place once.  The officer wasn't having any of that.  His life, his rules.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

See, this is what I don't understand. I can fully comprehend getting pissed if the car you're stopping spent 5 minutes driving down the road then pulls in at the grocery store and the driver tries to get out and go get his lunch, but getting pissy at a driver for taking one more minute driving the speed limit to find a parking lot to pull into makes no sense to me. I'll say it again, some people are just wound too tight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had a cop MF me because I drove 1000 extra feet to get off a busy road. He said next time I dont pull over immediately he would arrest me on the spot.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Just don't stop at all.  Saving lives everytime.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:You gonna to meet Mr. Pit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, a cop tried to chew on me once because I took the next exit off the highway and pulled over in the first parking lot. I just told him that I flat out didn't care what he wanted, I'm not going to sit on the side of the highway and get smashed at 70mph by the first texting idiot that came along and that of he wanted to get splattered down the highway like a deer then that's his business.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fed ex driver is screwed. We have a law that you must move over one lane or slow below the speed limit when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road when it's lights are on.
View Quote

He did move over one lane.  Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just FYI, every US state has a Move Over law, the only exception being Washington DC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#38]
years long long ago (might see it on SOME Adam 12 episodes )
we USED to GET out of the car...
times change...
if i were to be litUP  and there WAS an opportunity to pull safely off the MAIN drag (road)...
i will (hand ) signal him to follow ...  and stop ....
now MY PROBLEM IS I  may be out of the car before he can say not to...
as i'm old and don't know any better (whilst ) shutting my  door LOCKED...

as far as the  MOVE OVER LAW ...
it is vague and ambiguous enough to allow room for error (like seeing the issue and acting on it  SAFELY )
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Whenever possible I will pull off on the next exit and head for a parking lot. I'd rather not have the police car get rear ended and then ultimately hit my car.

If that makes an officer waste a bit more time on my stop then so be it, it's about my personal safety first (I'd like to get home safely at night), as a bonus that is more time that he is not out on the freeway harassing someone else over their speed.

I will throw my blinkers on to let him know that I see him.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just FYI, every US state has a Move Over law, the only exception being Washington DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How well did that work in this case or every other impact during a roadside traffic stop?  

This should not require the death of a family to make reasonable changes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]
That stop was well on the shoulder of the road.  What the f#€% was the FedEx driver doing that he couldn't stay in his own damned lane, especially with the emergency lights of the police car on.  Remember, all of you share the road with inept mouth breathing drivers like the FedEx guy.  

As for the cop, the vast majority will wait to make a stop until there is a safe place.  That does not always go as planned because:

- Sone people generally have poor situational awareness while driving and don't even notice the cop
- Others panic when being stopped and tend to pull over in the worst possible location (i.e. The left hand shoulder)
- Some have a complete lack of common sense and are known to come to a dead stop IN the traffic lane
- Still others have a poor sense of where their vehicle is and will pull over partially blocking the lane.  
- On a couple of occasions I actually had people give their reason for not pulling into to the shoulder because they did not want to get their tires dirty.

Cops do appreciate folks who try to pull over to a safe spot.  They do not appreciate people who wait to pull over for a few minutes while trying to select a location that suits them to a tee.  Getting a cop on edge by not pulling over as soon as possible could be the difference between a warning and a ticket.  Make it safe, but make it quick.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Whenever possible I will pull off on the next exit and head for a parking lot. I'd rather not have the police car get rear ended and then ultimately hit my car.

If that makes an officer waste a bit more time on my stop then so be it, it's about my personal safety first (I'd like to get home safely at night), as a bonus that is more time that he is not out on the freeway harassing someone else over their speed.
View Quote

There you go.   If people pull into a safe area, the stoppee gets to go home safe at night.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Did they call out the MRAP?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#44]
It wouldn't be so dangerous if the assholes that are on the road knew how to drive.  There are genuine issues that cause some of these accidents,  But a majority of these wrecks are caused by brain dead sacks of flesh that have been given a license and a steering wheel to play with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#45]
The very 1st time I was ever pulled over I pulled off the main road. I was then bombarded with a series of questions as to why I did that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Story

View Quote

Those guys generally run enormous SUVs, and they are ALWAYS out there on 85. Seen them plenty of time with their vehicles in the travel lanes. They also like to use day mode at night, so you can't see squat.

We do have a move over law. Either move over or slow down below the speed limit.

In for the fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Well, if you consider the fact that *most* traffic stops are ostensibly about improving public/road safety,

then why wouldn't it be not only be practical - but, I daresay - a major consideration for the initiating LEO to evaluate

the stop/pull over area and its' safety ramifications upon both himself and other traffic?  

Perhaps even resorting to using their PA system to direct the driver to a safer spot?  Or am I simply expecting too

much?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be so dangerous if the assholes that are on the road knew how to drive.  There are genuine issues that cause some of these accidents,  But a majority of these wrecks are caused by brain dead sacks of flesh that have been given a license and a steering wheel to play with.
View Quote

The problem is that no one at the traffic stop knows when such a person will plow into them.  All it takes is a person texting, web-surfing while driving, putting on make-up, turning around to yell at kids, etc and they drift over just far enough to hit one of the raoadside cars.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got my ass chewed by a OKHP for driving an extra 20 yards to get off of a major highway and onto a service road.  I explained that I didn't want either of us to get hit by a car going 80+ mph, but he said that I better pull over immediately next time.  It was literally 20 yards, but at least I just got a warning instead of a citation.  Some LEO's are great and some are assholes.
View Quote

I just stop in the middle of the road.... Don't even pull over anymore.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those guys generally run enormous SUVs, and they are ALWAYS out there on 85. Seen them plenty of time with their vehicles in the travel lanes. They also like to use day mode at night, so you can't see squat.

We do have a move over law. Either move over or slow down below the speed limit.

In for the fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story

In for the fun.

Didn't know there was a day mode for emergency lights. But then again, I'm used to a light bar that was installed BACKWARDS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top