Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 10:48:51 AM EDT
My brother heard this on the local radio news. WTF? Fishing at its best.
They do this a couple times a year around here usually on holiday weekends, pulling people over and thanking them for "good driving"
Bullshit!
I imagine the conversation at the window goes something like this: "I stopped you to thank you for using your blinker, say have you had anything to drink tonight sir?
What would you think if stopped in this manner?
BTW, didn't happen to me or anyone I know, just heard it on the radio.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If they are really randomly stopping people and it isn't a DUI checkpoint, it doesn't matter if they find anything--it'll be suppressed. Also dupe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If they didn't have pizza I'd be mad as hell
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Where do these "cash prizes" come from?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they are really randomly stopping people and it isn't a DUI checkpoint, it doesn't matter if they find anything--it'll be suppressed. Also dupe.
View Quote

I thought that was the case, anything found being suppressed.
Dupe, really? Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Are winners required to know "the phrase that pays"?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know. I'm guessing a private donation, but I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm more worried it comes from tax payer funds....

I don't think I've ever seen in one of these stories where the money comes from. Apparently no one cares b/c "Free money!"

ETA: Anonymous donor here at least...

http://www.businessinsider.com/mystery-man-has-kansas-city-police-pulling-over-drivers-to-give-them-money-2014-12

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Michigan for a period of time in a suburb north of Detroit. One year this town's police force got a Federal Grant to study what would happen if you rewarded drivers who were operating their vehicles safely. Usually the driver would get pulled over, have their license ran thru the system, then the officer would explain to them that they were bing pulled over for driving safely and they were allowed to select an envelope from a stack of envelopes. The envelopes contained prizes ranging from movie tickets to gift certificates to cash.

They stopped the program after a few months not because it wasn't successful but because it was too successful. The revenue from tickets dropped to a minuscule amount. Basic psychology tells us that you always get more of what you reward; in this case it was true.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]
My first thought was taxpayer funded but then I thought "They just can't hand out tax revenue" as I was typing I realized Shit they do it all the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My first thought was taxpayer funded but then I thought "They just can't hand out tax revenue" as I was typing I realized Shit they do it all the time.
View Quote

Exactly...hoping it's always like the story above...my fear is it's not...

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol .. Gonna cause a high speed chase when someone gets dicey
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
They should give treats to people out here in Ca who drive under 80mph on the freeway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
They must have gotten a visit from the Good Idea Fairy
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dupe, really? Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dupe, really? Sorry.

I wonder how that jives with the recent court decision saying that a consented search is still valid even if the initial stop was illegal?

Also, what happens if someone KNOWS that they didn't do anything illegal, assumes that the police are simply trying to pull them over to give them a prize, and decides they don't have the time for that and continues driving?  Will the police make chase?  Will the police simply let them go because they had no legal purpose for the stop in the first place?

Simply put, while I understand that these things are done to improve publicity and community relations, I don't think the police should be stopping anyone without evidence of a crime being committed.

ETA:  What if they pull someone over to give them a prize and find evidence of a murder?  Since the stop is illegal if the driver doesn't consent to a search then any evidence found will be thrown out.  You just alerted a suspect to your knowledge of their possible actions, at which point they'll be much more careful disposing of evidence, possibly preventing him from making a critical mistake that would have resulted in his capture.  Congratulations, your stupid PR stunt just helped a murderer walk free!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#15]
My county Sheriffs Department was doing this, and I know one of the deputies that was involved. Apparently, it is legitimate (at least here). He would run radar and stop and give an HEB (Texas grocery store) gift card to drivers who were under the speed limit. Just a quick "thanks for driving safely; here's your gift card" and that was it. It was in the middle of the day, so it's not like they were trolling for drunks (would be suppressed at trial anyway). They got the gift cards from fund raisers, and the bulk of them were actually going to needy families.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Also, what happens if someone KNOWS that they didn't do anything illegal, assumes that the police are simply trying to pull them over to give them a prize, and decides they don't have the time for that and continues driving?  Will the police make chase?  Will the police simply let them go because they had no legal purpose for the stop in the first place?

View Quote

It is not a crime (at least in Texas) to flee police if there is no reasonable suspicion of crime that would warrant a detention. Case law on this is well hashed out.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
AM I BEING DETAINED? !

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I will stand by my earlier post, that I do not want anything from the Policeman, be it a prize or money.  I do not want the interaction.  If I am doing something that is ticket worthy, by all means pull me over, but do not waste my time with anything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's some big money dude that used to hand them out himself, then decided to use the cops to do it instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Seen that on my local news as well.   But if you accept the prize, does that create joinder?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I lived in Michigan for a period of time in a suburb north of Detroit. One year this town's police force got a Federal Grant to study what would happen if you rewarded drivers who were operating their vehicles safely. Usually the driver would get pulled over, have their license ran thru the system, then the officer would explain to them that they were bing pulled over for driving safely and they were allowed to select an envelope from a stack of envelopes. The envelopes contained prizes ranging from movie tickets to gift certificates to cash.

They stopped the program after a few months not because it wasn't successful but because it was too successful. The revenue from tickets dropped to a minuscule amount. Basic psychology tells us that you always get more of what you reward; in this case it was true.
View Quote

That's also illegal as fuck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is not a crime to flee police if there is no reasonable suspicion of crime that would warrant a detention. Case law on this is well hashed out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not a crime to flee police if there is no reasonable suspicion of crime that would warrant a detention. Case law on this is well hashed out.

It is in Ohio. You can be charged with fleeing even if the stop is bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
GD never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They do this a couple times a year around here usually on holiday weekends, pulling people over and thanking them for "good driving"
Bullshit!
I imagine the conversation at the window goes something like this: "I stopped you to thank you for using your blinker, say have you had anything to drink tonight sir?
View Quote

I hate to be a downer on this but... who's funding it?
And frankly can you imagine being on a schedule only to be pulled over and delayed ... for doing nothing wrong?  Like... "Um, thanks I'm late for work now."

Although I do remember my high school use to have seatbelt checkpoints on the way in for students who drove.  Students who weren't buckled up got ... tickets I suppose or warnings.  Students who were buckled up got coupons for a free icecream treat at the school cafeteria.  (although I suppose that was also funded by taxpayers in the long run)
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I probably should have specified Texas. I don't know anything about Ohio law. I'll fix it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may know that, but does the police officer trying to pull over a person to give them a gift know that?  Even if it doesn't send you to prison, it might get you a dose of hickory shampoo and a nice ride down to the station.  

It just seems to me that it's best to avoid intentionally creating situations where police are being told to illegally stop people.  A reasonable person being followed by a police car with flashing lights is going to think that they are compelled to stop, and the second they do their constitutional rights have been violated.  What happens when one of these people decides to sue the department for civil rights violations?  Technically speaking, it's an open and shut case.  The police have no authority to impede an individual's travel outside of defined law enforcement duties.  If the police stop someone with no evidence of a crime and serving no purpose to protect the public, then that individual's rights have been violated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You may know that, but does the police officer trying to pull over a person to give them a gift know that?  Even if it doesn't send you to prison, it might get you a dose of hickory shampoo and a nice ride down to the station.  

It just seems to me that it's best to avoid intentionally creating situations where police are being told to illegally stop people.  A reasonable person being followed by a police car with flashing lights is going to think that they are compelled to stop, and the second they do their constitutional rights have been violated.  What happens when one of these people decides to sue the department for civil rights violations?  Technically speaking, it's an open and shut case.  The police have no authority to impede an individual's travel outside of defined law enforcement duties.  If the police stop someone with no evidence of a crime and serving no purpose to protect the public, then that individual's rights have been violated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you. This PR stunt is not worth the hassle. These are technically illegal detentions. I imagine the sheriff's department would have already hashed out what to do if the "safe driver" does not stop. I can't imagine any other scenario except letting them go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And frankly can you imagine being on a schedule only to be pulled over and delayed ... for doing nothing wrong?  Like... "Um, thanks I'm late for work now."
View Quote

Can you imagine being the cop who finds a guy with a dead hooker and a trash bag full of blow during one of these stops?

What if they stop someone who has warrants?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Some times the police can do nice things OP. Me thinks your tin foil is on a little tight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup. Some times the police can do nice things OP. Me thinks your tin foil is on a little tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather they just leave me alone and mail a check to everyone who has a good driving record.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree with you. This PR stunt is not worth the hassle. These are technically illegal detentions. I imagine the sheriff's department would have already hashed out what to do if the "safe driver" does not stop. I can't imagine any other scenario except letting them go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad we agree on this.

As to the part in red, I can't think of any other LEGAL scenario, but we all know that police officers are human, that many humans are not fully aware of the law and how it applies to them, and that some of these humans overreact when their authority (real or imagined) isn't respected, even if they were initailly just trying to do a nice thing.

I'm not saying that these police are looking to cause trouble, I'm saying that this policy is going to create it eventually.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd rather they just leave me alone and mail a check to everyone who has a good driving record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I will stand by my earlier post, that I do not want anything from the Policeman, be it a prize or money.  I do not want the interaction.  If I am doing something that is ticket worthy, by all means pull me over, but do not waste my time with anything else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can you imagine being the cop who finds a guy with a dead hooker and a trash bag full of blow during one of these stops?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the part in red:

It'll be thrown out as evidence.  Congratulations, you've just destroyed any chance of recovering the body in the future and possibly finding enough evidence to convict the guy!

To the part in blue:

I'm not sure about this, but I've been given the impression that the law doesn't care how they got custody of a wanted individual, once they've got you you're not going anywhere.  If the police broke a law to get you they may still be held liable, but they're not gonna let you go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Can't suppress the stop on a warrant arrest, so they can legally be arrested. The probable cause for their crime has already been determined and approved by a judge, so it really doesn't matter how they end up in jail on the warrant.

However, I doubt they would be doing warrant checks on these stops.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can't suppress the stop on a warrant arrest, so they can legally be arrested. The probable cause for their crime has already been determined and approved by a judge, so it really doesn't matter how they end up in jail on the warrant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now imagine if they stop someone to hand him a prize, and it turns out that he is a wanted, violent felon. They don't run him, and he drives off and kills his ex-wife later that day.

The headlines would be epic.

This whole idea is a disaster.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is only going to open up the department to more liability.  What if an officer stops a person with a warrant for a violent felony, doesn't check for warrants (something that's normally done on a traffic stop) and hands the guy and envelope with cash in it, then the guy drives down to his ex-wife's house, and kills her?  Does anyone think for a second the woman's family isn't going to sue the department for stopping the guy and not even checking to see if he's got warrants?  Even if the family loses, it would still cost the city a ton of cash and give them a black eye, especially once they admitted in court that the reason the officer didn't check for warrants is because the officer (and his department) knew going in that the stop was illegal.

ETA:  Beat while posting!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You *ALWAYS* do a warrant check.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This whole idea is a disaster.
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Who "ALWAYS" does a warrant check?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every cop I ever worked with.   Thats what MDT's are for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even when taking a report from a crime victim? Even when rolling up on a pedestrian and asking if he saw a suspect that's been in the area? Even when a citizen makes a flag down?

I'd agree that warrant checks are conducted on every traffic stop for the most part, but these aren't traffic stops. They are consensual contacts disguised at traffic stops.

ETA: In my city, a lot of cops will actually go out of their way to not run warrant checks even on legitimate detentions in some cases because they don't want to take some stinky homeless person to jail for an outstanding panhandling ticket.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Every cop I ever worked with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every cop I ever worked with.

I can't say the same.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
That's catching a 10 pound lake trout on a 2 pound test at best.....   4th amendment is almost gone
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's an MDT?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bullshit!
View Quote

Doing it here too...
http://www.news9.com/story/27673896/ok-co-sheriffs-dept-gives-cash-instead-of-tickets-for-holidays
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit!

Doing it here too...

http://www.news9.com/story/27673896/ok-co-sheriffs-dept-gives-cash-instead-of-tickets-for-holidays
In this case they are giving the driver cash after they have pulled them over for a legitimate reason (speeding, etc.).

I think officers pulling people over for the sole purpose to give them cash is asking for problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In this case they are giving the driver cash after they have pulled them over for a legitimate reason (speeding, etc.).  

I think officers pulling people over for the sole purpose to give them cash is asking for problems.
View Quote

That solves at least most of the bigger issues (as long as they still document it all).

Still a stupid idea.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top