Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 8:53:49 AM EDT
And I have never regretted it.

Owning a home has provided me with an abundance of things to do, and freed me forever from the tyranny and insecurity of having a landlord.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. I became a homeowner 10 years ago and can't stand it. Then again, I'm not in the house I want to die in, either. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have kept renting until I was ready to buy my "forever" home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah?

I just wrote checks for property taxes for over $2900.00 and realized I don't own jack.

I'm just renting it from the government.

Merry Christmas!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah?

I just wrote checks for property taxes for over $2900.00 and realized I don't own jack.

Merry Christmas!

View Quote

That sucks. Good thing I don't have those
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
CK,

If you are on a 30 year note, you don`t have long to go until that bad boy is paid for!!!!

I envy you youngin`!

You have me beat by a decade Sir!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Congrats. I became a homeowner 10 years ago and can't stand it. Then again, I'm not in the house I want to die in, either. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have kept renting until I was ready to buy my "forever" home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine is definitely a fixer-upper, and I don't mind that.  I stay out of trouble when I keep myself busy.
So far I have:
- Had a large retaining wall built to create a semi-level back yard; project included sprinklers everywhere,
- Constructed vegetable garden areas,
- Re-wired the entire house and refinished all of the interior walls,
- Had a photovoltaic system installed.
Those are the major projects that have been completed.  Now I'm in the process of taking out all of the old carpeting and underlying linoleum flooring and installing hard porcelain tile.  That's a big job.

Quoted:

CK,

If you are on a 30 year note, you don`t have long to go until that bad boy is paid for!!!!

I have refinanced three times (once to cover divorce costs,) and am now on a 10-year note (at 2.75% fixed) with about seven remaining.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought my house at 28 2 years ago. Re-financing the loan this week and will have it paid off in 10 years. Nice thing is the mortgage, even with the refi is only $200 more than I was paying for a 1 bedroom apartment in the same neighborhood. There is something to be said for $45k in equity and it's FUFHA!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I became a homeowner in October, 1998. We just paid off the mortgage. NOW I own a home.

And it's $6,000 in property tax a year. And going up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I built this place in 1998. Did a refi in 2012 @ 3.0% for 15 years. Have 13 years left well soon to be 12 years lol

Property taxes this year were $360

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I built this place in 1998. Did a refi in 2012 @ 3.0% for 15 years. Have 13 years left well soon to be 12 years lol

Property taxes this year were $360

View Quote

I paid more than that for a vacant 1.5 acre lot!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah?

Merry Christmas!

View Quote

But you've cut out the middle man!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bought my house at 28 2 years ago. Re-financing the loan this week and will have it paid off in 10 years. Nice thing is the mortgage, even with the refi is only $200 more than I was paying for a 1 bedroom apartment in the same neighborhood. There is something to be said for $45k in equity and it's FUFHA!
View Quote

Rent is simply tossing money away, for some people though its the only option.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not tossing money away.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I became a homeowner in October, 1998. We just paid off the mortgage. NOW I own a home.

View Quote

Be glad you aren't just a few miles south, into Orange County, they love them some taxes!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all situation dependent.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is

<----------------------Landlord
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#16]
No state income tax in TX= you are never done paying.  I do love it though, always something to work on/upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Same here.

Love being a homeowner.

Built our house 8 years ago.

And, Lord willing, will have it paid off in 4 years, six months and two days.

WV has a homestead exemption act, which means no taxes on our house/land once we hit 65.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations California_Kid and others.

It's been over thirty years for me.  In a few more years time, it will be forty.

Buying a house is going to be more and more elusive for Americans.  High unemployment or even if one is employed, student loans prevents many young Americans from building up the money for a down payment.  

BTW, I wouldn't buy a house right now.  The housing bubble that burst in 2007/08 has been kept partially inflated by withholding of foreclosed houses from the market, from hedge funds that jumped on foreclosed housing, from Chinese who sought to dump their dollars for tangibles and by Chinese corporations that have been buying prime property in America.  Cracks are already appearing and then the market goes (but everything goes when the fed raises interest rates).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Be glad you aren't just a few miles south, into Orange County, they love them some taxes!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I moved from Orange ( Walden Sportsmen's Club) to Ulster ( New Paltz Rod and Gun)
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah?

Merry Christmas!

View Quote

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#21]
3 or 4 more years to payoff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah?

Merry Christmas!

This guy gets it.

How true.  Don't pay your taxes and "your" property can be sold at auction at the county court house.  This is the threat of hyper-inflation.  As more money goes towards necessities (food and fuel), taxes will be neglected and if they're property taxes, the county will move against you.  I can see a lot of that happening unless We The People take action against it. The only good thing about CA is Prop 13 which prevents the government from arbitrarily raising the taxes to meet its budget.  Instead it's limited to 1.1% (or something like that).  There are plenty of politicians who want it repealed because it's unfair.  I bought my house for less than $300k over thirty years ago and my neighbors paid about $800k plus. Naturally, they pay more than I do.  

There's only a couple of states that allows you to get away from property taxes.  TX and NV allow you via Allodial Title.  See if you qualify.  I'm going to have to see if homesteading will cover me in CO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Respect mah propertayyy!!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#24]
All homeowners have a Landlord, it is the Gov't and they will evict if you fail to pay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is owning a home.  The whole angle of home ownership as an investment is bullshit once you factor in taxes, upkeep, interest, insurance, etc.  At best you get to keep a portion of your cash outflow as equity but that's about it.

That said, I will never rent again.  I've owned my home for 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

All homeowners have a Landlord, it is the Gov't and they will evict if you fail to pay.
View Quote

True, and some people also have homeowner's associations that can do the same for non-payment of HOA dues.

Fortunately I am a beneficiary of one of the few GOOD things about my state - The property tax limits set under Proposition 13, approved by voters (including me) in 1978.

My property tax is now just over $2,000/year.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

There may be good news under certain circumstances.

If you're 65 or older check with your Tax Assessor's office. You may qualify for a Homestead Exemption.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that you may have to take the savings and apply it to your adult diapers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]
And here I sit and bitch about my $1400 in property taxes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's why I moved from Orange ( Walden Sportsmen's Club) to Ulster ( New Paltz Rod and Gun)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. Ulster is slowly catching up to them.

How is NPR&G doing lately? I haven't been there is a few years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Congrats!

In a few more years, I will be making use of my VA home guaranty and joining you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine is paid off and it is a great feeling.

I wish I could have posted before those that are so ignorant of economics that they do not understand the difference between "expenses" and "debt", but I was not quick enough.

View Quote

Please expound.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some folks wrongly say that you don't "own" your home because you are in debt to pay taxes.

Taxes are not a debt, they are an expense.

I OWN my home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine is paid off and it is a great feeling.

I wish I could have posted before those that are so ignorant of economics that they do not understand the difference between "expenses" and "debt", but I was not quick enough.

Please expound.

Some folks wrongly say that you don't "own" your home because you are in debt to pay taxes.

I OWN my home.

Fair enough, though government owns a monopoly of power, and therefore owns your home should it please the state.

You can only own it, so long as it remains in your possession.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And I have never regretted it.

Owning a home has provided me with an abundance of things to do, and freed me forever from the tyranny and insecurity of having a landlord.

View Quote

And that right there is why I freaking hated all 10 years I was a home owner.  So many things I'd rather do than mow the yard, rake leaves, clean the pool, fix the fence, fix the plumbing, fix something electrical, paint, new water heater, new a/c, new pool pump, on and on and on. Fuck all that I've had enough of it for a lifetime and my bucket list isn't going to check itself off when I'm doing all that.

Now? I get on my motorcycle and ride. Or watch those games I never had time to watch on Sat/Sun, or go somewhere for the weekend, hangout with friends, the girlfriend, the kids, whatever I want to do that doesn't involve blood sweat and tears just to keep the status quo.

I rent a nice home and my rent has not gone up one cent in 4 years.  When I owned my home, my TAXES would go up every year sometimes to the tune of hundreds and hundreds a month.  And I haven't paid one cent in maintenance, whereas with the home I owned I was paying thousands a year in upkeep.

Yeah I'm okay with not owning.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necisarially.  You don't build equity in taxes, insurance, repairs, upkeep.  There are definately situations where it is better to rent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#38]
We snapped up our house on a short sale [short, my ass] when the market bottomed out here....sellers bought it for 284k...we bought it for 165k. couldn't be happier with our purchase.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I realized this as well. You have to maintain the property as well as pay taxes. In my case I had to totally renovate the house. Now my taxes went up.
On top of that if you have a 30 year mortgage you end up paying about 3 times what the home was worth.
Although I would not want to live in an apartment.

Quoted:
Yeah?

Merry Christmas!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We snapped up our house on a short sale [short, my ass] when the market bottomed out here....sellers bought it for 284k...we bought it for 165k. couldn't be happier with our purchase.
View Quote

I paid $140K for mine when the market was near bottom.  Opportunities like that don't come along very often, and I had missed out on two previous cycles because I just didn't have the income or cash for a down payment.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#41]
18 years ago today, I got married.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

My condolences.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm on my 3rd home and unless i come into a large sum of money, I'm keeping this one.   It still needs some work,  but it's in a nice town,  in a nice neighborhood and on a nice lot.   It's a lot less than some have,  and a lot more than others have.   I feel very fortunate!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rules - follow them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm a landlord four times over. I love renters.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#46]
August 2003 for me.  I keep thinking about how much cash I've wasted at Lowes and such over the years.  Still not sure it's worth it.  Always something to do, "free time" is a thing of the past.

That said, sharing a wall or a ceiling with a neighbor ain't for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Rules - follow them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rules - follow them.

Didn't you read my post?  I said I have married for 18 years.   You think I don't know how to follow the rules???  I am the one on the left, especially after

but usually it is this
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#48]
8 years in for me.  I love it.  There is all of the upkeep, but I enjoy putting equity in what I can call my own place.

I spend a long time in tiny, shitty apartments to save up for the down payment but it paid off in the end.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I OWN my home.

View Quote

I can control my expenses:
I can put off or do my own repairs, get bids for work I can't do.
I do my own plumbing, electrical, remodeling, landscaping and decorating.
I can turn the heat down, cut my own firewood.
I can shop for insurance, select coverages and deductibles, balancing need and cost.
I can pay off my mortgage early, not tapping my equity for stupid things like a new car/truck.

Being generally healthy, no kids and no debt, have not itemized deductions for over 15 years.

So really, until and unless I sell my property, taxes are not an expense, they are an obligation imposed by government.
It is the taking of my work, a re-distribution of my money, for the "common good".
A debt.
Which I am required to pay.

If I want to continue to OWN my property.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm a landlord four times over. I love renters.
View Quote

Here's a question for you:

Do you structure your rents so that you collect enough on each property to cover its respective costs - P&I, tax, insurance, upkeep, etc.?

I believe that most landlords do at least try to break even.  My point is that even when you rent, you are paying for the whole shooting match (which may or may not be less than you could buy your own place for.)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top