Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This thread went exactly as expected and ya know IDGAF. I did try to make it clear, that I do not think I'm a badass when it comes to shooting.

Shooting comps aren't for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hurry up OP and enter all shooting competitions so you can rule the shooting world!

This thread went exactly as expected and ya know IDGAF. I did try to make it clear, that I do not think I'm a badass when it comes to shooting.

Of course it went this direction

I tend to notice ammo at the range more than anything else - like when people are trying to shoot tiny groups with mil spec stuff.  Don't care that they are shooting from the bench with a tripod, etc.  but often wonder if they know what their rifle/ammo combo is capable/incapable of.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

but you made it a point to create a post on your computer on how good you were and how bad the regular civilians are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
hurry up OP and enter all shooting competitions so you can rule the shooting world!

but you made it a point to create a post on your computer on how good you were and how bad the regular civilians are

I didn't mean for  it to come across like that. I also said they aren't representative of the normal shooting population.  Wasn't supposed to mil v nonmil thing. I posted from iPad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I tend to notice ammo at the range more than anything else - like when people are trying to shoot tiny groups with mil spec stuff.  Don't care that they are shooting from the bench with a tripod, etc.  but often wonder if they know what their rifle/ammo combo is capable/incapable of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL! So you can look at bullets and a gun and TELL what type of accuracy it will get! you should have a talk show and show your amazing talent like John Edwards. You don't think the shooter is the other 1/3 of that equation? LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Some people just like to blast. Marksmanship is ranked somewhere under buying used socks and picking through Kim Kardashian's poop looking for gold dust in the priorities of many people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Reason I started thread was to ask about these benches and to point out all these fucks with 3000 plus rifles that don't know how to shoot worth shit. Is it common to use a bench when not zeroing ?  I've never seen people use benches unless zeroing or precision shooting.  No one asked for an explanation , I've just never seen anything like that before.

I will not be starting a shooting school, I have taught several friends  the basics.  

View Quote

I've met some cool Marines at public ranges. A good time was had by all. This ex-Marine whose training  these fucks paid for is not one of them. Is it even possible to suck your own dick?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL! So you can look at bullets and a gun and TELL what type of accuracy it will get! you should have a talk show and show your amazing talent like John Edwards. You don't think the shooter is the other 1/3 of that equation? LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything going ok with you buddy
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn't mean for  it to come across like that. I also said they aren't representative of the normal shooting population.  Wasn't supposed to mil v nonmil thing. I posted from iPad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotcha bro, its a fundamental thing that was pounded in your head (along with others among here), where you look at a people and cannot understand why they have such a bad fundamental shooting base. Trust me I know and understand. Just realize shooting is like any sport. There is going to be good, bad and horrible people. Its like being the short skinny nerd kid that cannot play basket ball with a real NBA jersey, expensive basketball shoes, sweatbands and the whole nine, just no basketball lessons
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've met some cool Marines at public ranges. A good time was had by all. This ex-Marine whose training  these fucks paid for is not one of them. Is it even possible to suck your own dick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason I started thread was to ask about these benches and to point out all these fucks with 3000 plus rifles that don't know how to shoot worth shit. Is it common to use a bench when not zeroing ?  I've never seen people use benches unless zeroing or precision shooting.  No one asked for an explanation , I've just never seen anything like that before.

I will not be starting a shooting school, I have taught several friends  the basics.  

Butthurt much, or were you one of those fucks on the range today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

perfectly OK. But wondering how one can look at AMMO and gauge what someones groups will look like.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I love seeing bullet marks on the floor, ceiling,  and wall  ten feet out in an indoor range.....        I can almost forgive a AD from a new shooter to cause these marks.  but how the fuck aiming  could you be so off the mark.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love seeing bullet marks on the floor, ceiling,  and wall  ten feet out in an indoor range.....        I can almost forgive a AD from a new shooter to cause these marks.  but how the fuck aiming  could you be so off the mark.
View Quote

Indoor 100 yard rifle ranges are a huge thing in Colorado...

I can't imagine how the damn things stay open with people hitting the target carriers, rails, floor and walls...

308 makes a really weird sound when it smashes into a 100 yard metal rail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. My butt's just fine. Thanx for thinking of it though. I'm not entirely comfortable with the concept, butt whatever floats your boat. No ACOG on my rifle and my marksmanship is fine. Thanx for not helping anyone improve themselves and just sneering silently.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

True. there is a 25 yard indoor range near me that I frequent sometimes. there are more holes in the ceiling than you can count. There have also been two public suicides there recently (past five yeas) and this is a shotgun and pistol only range
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

True. there is a 25 yard indoor range near me that I frequent sometimes. there are more holes in the ceiling than you can count. There have also been two public suicides there recently (past five yeas) and this is a shotgun and pistol only range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot straight?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I was going to go to the range today, but now Im afriad to out of fear someone will come here and post about how all I did was not leave the bench....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shoot straight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot straight?

I try, I have been muzzle swept on more than one occasion at that  range. mostly by girls. Guys always brings dates there and chicks always want to take pics with guns and they do the cagney and lacy thing and turn around and flash the line
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope. My butt's just fine. Thanx for thinking of it though. I'm not entirely comfortable with the concept, butt whatever floats your boat. No ACOG on my rifle and my marksmanship is fine. Thanx for not helping anyone improve themselves and just sneering silently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks / your welcome.  But you sound butthurt
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, I was going to go to the range today, but now Im afriad to out of fear someone will come here and post about how all I did was not leave the bench....
View Quote

Come on now man. If people shoot from the bench that's fine , I just haven't seen it much.

I've been a fan of your avatar, nice looking dog.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Come on now man. If people shoot from the bench that's fine , I just haven't seen it much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks...and just busting your chops.

In all seriousness I usually do try to shoot in different positions when I go...and rarely shoot under 100 yards unless I am shooting pistol.  

A few of my friends never leave the 50 yard range with their AR
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Just be glad they were shooting modern sporting rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]
My rifles are all sub $2000.  So far, I've only shot 20 rounds off a barrier with one, 20 shots off a bench with another and my Wilson Combat is yet unfired.  OP, what tier am I?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#22]
"For some people, ammo is the quickest way to turn money into noise".

I heard this from a friend who works at an indoor range that is so popular I have seen people standing in the waiting area shoulder to shoulder with those little slips of paper with the numbers on them with the digital sign on the wall saying "now serving number ________."

I remarked to him how busy it was.  That was his reply up above.  I got a chuckle out of it.

Much like fireworks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
OP....you're not in NOVA per chance, are you?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My rifles are all sub $2000.  So far, I've only shot 20 rounds off a barrier with one, 20 shots off a bench with another and my Wilson Combat is yet unfired.  OP, what tier am I?
View Quote

If I had to guess, I'd say level airsoft.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#25]
What you could do is mentor and help these other shooters, shoot better.  Or at least give them some helpful tips and suggest they get some training.  Some people just don't know, they follow what they see other people doing or what they watch on TV.

I'm interested to know, what percentage of gun shooters spend more money (and equivalent time) on proper training versus the cost of their setup.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

NRV
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

NRV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NRV

But I make it up to NOVA every now and then, whatsup?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What you could do is mentor and help these other shooters, shoot better.  Or at least give them some helpful tips and suggest they get some training.  Some people just don't know, they follow what they see other people doing or what they watch on TV.

I'm interested to know, what percentage of gun shooters spend more money (and equivalent time) on proper training versus the cost of their setup.
View Quote

truth
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a blue weimaraner.  Yes, blue.  My photobucket account is acting up at this late hour, otherwise I would post pics.  I had a litter of 8 weim pups last January.  4 blues, 4 silvers
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

qualified sharpshooter at PI and expert the remaining times.  

View Quote

why'd you only qualify sharpshooter? isn't it kind of like painting the kettle black complaining about civilian's marksmanship level when you couldn't even get an expert badge after your tier 1 OAF marine marksmanship training?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

why'd you only qualify sharpshooter? isn't it kind of like painting the kettle black complaining about civilian's marksmanship level when you couldn't even get an expert badge after your tier 1 OAF marine marksmanship training?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

qualified sharpshooter at PI and expert the remaining times.  

Hey PAK, learn how to fucking read.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If all your experience with firearms comes from the military, then it is entirely possible that you are just as ignorant about recreational shooting as those civilians are about how things work on a two way range.

I punch holes in paper, but not because I'm trying to be a badass.  I'm not anywhere close to being a badass.  I'm not even in the same solar system as Planet Badass.  

I do it because it is fun.  Some days I'm the guy over there with the strange looking .22 bolt action rifle trying to put them through the same hole.  Some days I'm that guy on the sporting clay range.  Some days I'm in the pistol pit practicing for an IDPA match.  Some days I'm shooting my AR in the pit, and other days.....I'm sitting at a bench trying to figure out if my reloads are okay, because I just made about 600 rounds with my Dillon.  

But you have no way of knowing that because I'm not wearing a sign on my head that clearly details my agenda for the gun range.  The shooting sports aren't one dimensional.  

Glad you got a confidence boost and all.  Some days you might feel like the best shooter on the line.  But I assure you that if you go to the range long enough, there will be a time when you'll feel like you're the worst shooter there.  And you'll probably be right.

We may not live in the era in which the gun culture produces Ad and Plinky Toepperwein, but there are plenty of folks around that will humble you.  Trust me, my friend, they are out there.  They kick my ass every other weekend.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Lol,

OP, you have a lot to learn.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Jesus fucking Christ, arf.com can be a bunch of flaming fucking assholes sometimes.  It's not like the thread was a total mystery.  He's recounting his experience at a civ range.  I've seen the same fucking story a hundred times before but everyone decides to shit on this Marine's thread because he joined in 2013?

OP, seen the same thing.  Guy mounts his optics on his rifle, rips off a mag, pulls his target, and wonders why he's only got a few half circle marks on the edges.  I thought about mentioning zeroing first but decided "fuck it, not my concern".  Read another thread where a guy had someone else shooting at his targets.  He called him on it and the guy squares off on him like he's Clint Eastwood and ready to throw down.

I've seen two ND's at open ranges.  One was an idiot who had his pistol at the gun ready position and put a round directly into a beam over his head.  Another guy was in the low ready position with his AR and cranked around directly into the concrete deck in front of him...I always see people sweeping each other with their muzzles, fucking around with unfamiliar levers, switches, buttons and not paying any attention to where their muzzle is.  It's terrifying! LOL  I won't take my nephew to a public range anymore, it's just too dangerous.  And when I go to a public range, I always try to get the space all the way to the left so the idiots are in front of me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm saying since you're so high speed, why'd you only shoot sharpshooter your first qual?

You'd think such a hard charger would shoot expert from the start.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm saying since you're so high speed, why'd you only shoot sharpshooter your first qual?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my fault, it was windy that day and the guy pulling targets was having trouble.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#37]
"Private, why the fuck did you fail to meet the standards for expert marksmanship?"

Every other Marine - "NO EXCUSES SIR"

OP - "WIND AND THE GUY IN THE PITS, SIR!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#38]
If the only way they can keep the bullets on target is by shooting from a bench then that's where I want them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some people just like to blast. Marksmanship is ranked somewhere under buying used socks and picking through Kim Kardashian's poop looking for gold dust in the priorities of many people.
View Quote

This is true.  A lot of times it go to the range I just like to fire off some rounds not keep track of fire count in my glock, analyze why round number 7 didn't fall right into battery, wear gloves, try to reach as far as possible when gripping with my left hand, etc.,,,,

And I do lots of it from the bench.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This. That said, I've become a much more knowledgeable and better shooter since the Marine Corps almost 20 yrs ago. I've learned everything from ballistics to weapons manipulation at a much higher level than was taught then. If they want training they will seek it out. I'm sure there is much still for you to learn as well.
Seriously.  Lots of people shoot just to shoot, they aren't doing it for hunting or defense.  I'm just happy they participate in the firearms economy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

!3er goes to the range.  The rest of us do not measure up to his awesomeness.

Sorry, man.  We will all try to be as awesome as you.

Not what I was getting at, save the G you spend on an ACOG and get a couple two hour lessons and buy a pro with the left overs

Who cares?

This. That said, I've become a much more knowledgeable and better shooter since the Marine Corps almost 20 yrs ago. I've learned everything from ballistics to weapons manipulation at a much higher level than was taught then. If they want training they will seek it out. I'm sure there is much still for you to learn as well.
Seriously.  Lots of people shoot just to shoot, they aren't doing it for hunting or defense.  I'm just happy they participate in the firearms economy.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Usually me and a friend shoot on his dad's property and it's all i've known for the past couple years.

We couldn't shoot on his land so we went to a public range.  I shot how I normally shoot; about 60/40 prone to standing, fair amount of rapid fire, as well as some precision the best I could with only irons.   I was solid out to 150 yds but after that, I couldn't see shit.  

Almost everyone else pulled up benches, unfolded tripods, and mounted ACOGs on their high speed ARs with mounted flash lights and other goodies.

I have only shot with civilians a few times.  The guys today were bad, literally the worst I've ever seen, despite the benches, tripods, and ACOGs.  They put targets out between 50-150 YDS or so, had shitty fundamentals, and couldn't hit shit for the most part.  

I was just kind of shocked.... at their poor technique, shooting, and nice gear.  I'm sure they are not representative of the shooting community whats ever, and I'm also sure lots here could run circles around me (not a call out thread).

I had never shot a gun prior to joining the corps; qualified sharpshooter at PI and expert the remaining times.  

If your new get some training.

How popular are benches when shooting these days, when you are allowed to shoot in the prone or however you want for the most part?  The few near me were not zeroing.

CSB

Thank you for your service.

Were they unsafe, doing muzzle sweeps, ignoring cold range/hot range commands, or other dangerous behaviors? Maybe they just wanted to go burn some ammo for simple fun. I think that is still allowed. One of my greatest pleasures is simple plinking. There are times when that is what I want to do. There are times when I am working on specific skills. I find no need to explain myself to anyone else on the range why I am there. As long as all are shooting safely, I think I can ignore what they are doing and concentrate on my own shooting.

If you feel the need to "enlighten the poor civilian masses" might I suggest you start a shooting school and see if anyone wants to pay you for your knowledge

Yes. It's very common. People like to shoot groups off a stable platform to see the accuracy of their rifle, not the shooter. I know many old timers who shoot every week, just go out with a .22 bolt action and see how small a group their rifle can make. It's fun. They catalog what ammo load/lot or batch makes the tightest groups and then buy a shitload of it. They shoot the heads off little green army men at 50 yrds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I  can tell who shoots from a bench with a tripod and acog and still misses by the indignant replies

I'm a mediocre marksman btw
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Private, why the fuck did you fail to meet the standards for expert marksmanship?"

Every other Marine - "NO EXCUSES SIR"

OP - "WIND AND THE GUY IN THE PITS, SIR!"
View Quote

This x 1000

Like I said OP, you got a lot to learn.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Nope too many words
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#46]
OP is jelly of other people's acogs
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Since 2003 you do the math
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
**You're

..Grammar training..

ETA: Who cares if people suck at shooting? Let them be.

This and it sounds like OP thinks he's hot shit all of a sudden but in reality has been shooting for how long? lol

Since 2003 you do the math

Eleven years? What are you, 15?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#48]
It can be an eye opener at the public range. That is primarily where I shoot. Really enjoy it though, don't know any other place you'd meet such a wide range of shooters.

Based on what OP comes from, (shooting arena), surprised he was as gentle as he was in his post. Been going to the PR a long while and some of the stuff still surprises me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP is jelly of other people's acogs
View Quote

"When I get my E3 I'll totally have the cash to deck out my rifle like all these fucks at the range...."
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I suck at shooting, but I have fun while I'm shooting badly.  That's life.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top