Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/21/2014 3:30:19 AM EDT
-Thread title sarcasm

Usually me and a friend shoot on his dad's property and it's all i've known for the past couple years.

We couldn't shoot on his land so we went to a public range.  I shot how I normally shoot; about 60/40 prone to standing, fair amount of rapid fire, as well as some precision the best I could with only irons.   I was solid out to 150 yds but after that, I couldn't see shit.  

Almost everyone else pulled up benches, unfolded tripods, and mounted ACOGs on their high speed ARs with mounted flash lights and other goodies.

I have only shot with civilians a few times.  The guys today were bad, literally the worst I've ever seen, despite the benches, tripods, and ACOGs.  They put targets out between 50-150 YDS or so, had shitty fundamentals, and couldn't hit shit for the most part.  

I was just kind of shocked.... at their poor technique, shooting, and nice gear.  I'm sure they are not representative of the shooting community whats ever, and I'm also sure lots here could run circles around me (not a call out thread).

I had never shot a gun prior to joining the corps; qualified sharpshooter at PI and expert the remaining times.  

If your new get some training.

How popular are benches when shooting these days, when you are allowed to shoot in the prone or however you want for the most part?  The few near me were not zeroing.

CSB
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
**You're

..Grammar training..

ETA: Who cares if people suck at shooting? Let them be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
**You're

..Grammar training..

View Quote

I did let them be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
So....you went to the range....people were shooting, but not to your standards.

I'll never get these minutes back....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool story bro.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So....you went to the range....people were shooting, but not to your standards.

I'll never get these minutes back....
View Quote

I've never seen shooting like that.  Why use a bench if not Zeroing. They were on the bench dumping rounds.  And we did myob.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck the range is turning into high school.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
TL;DR

!3er goes to the range.  The rest of us do not measure up to his awesomeness.

Sorry, man.  We will all try to be as awesome as you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, they were mostly Fatsos.  What did you expect?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
TL;DR

View Quote

Not what I was getting at, save the G you spend on an ACOG and get a couple two hour lessons and buy a pro with the left overs
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not what I was getting at, save the G you spend on an ACOG and get a couple two hour lessons and buy a pro with the left overs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

Maybe they got it on amazon for 200 bucks?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

Who cares?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TL;DR

I have an Acog on one of my ARs.  A TA-31DOC.

I spent 6 years in the Army.  Is that enough training for you?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:47:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I want to see pics of the gun TRI pods! they sound amazing.

Awesome story on how cool you are compared to us regular persons bro
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an idea.  We can all email the OP with our qualifications and certs, and see if he approves of our range trips.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Who cares?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

Who cares?

Seriously.  Lots of people shoot just to shoot, they aren't doing it for hunting or defense.  I'm just happy they participate in the firearms economy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Usually me and a friend shoot on his dad's property and it's all i've known for the past couple years.

We couldn't shoot on his land so we went to a public range.  I shot how I normally shoot; about 60/40 prone to standing, fair amount of rapid fire, as well as some precision the best I could with only irons.   I was solid out to 150 yds but after that, I couldn't see shit.  

Almost everyone else pulled up benches, unfolded tripods, and mounted ACOGs on their high speed ARs with mounted flash lights and other goodies.

I have only shot with civilians a few times.  The guys today were bad, literally the worst I've ever seen, despite the benches, tripods, and ACOGs.  They put targets out between 50-150 YDS or so, had shitty fundamentals, and couldn't hit shit for the most part.  

I was just kind of shocked.... at their poor technique, shooting, and nice gear.  I'm sure they are not representative of the shooting community whats ever, and I'm also sure lots here could run circles around me (not a call out thread).

I had never shot a gun prior to joining the corps; qualified sharpshooter at PI and expert the remaining times.  

How popular are benches when shooting these days, when you are allowed to shoot in the prone or however you want for the most part?  The few near me were not zeroing.

CSB
View Quote

Thank you for your service.

Were they unsafe, doing muzzle sweeps, ignoring cold range/hot range commands, or other dangerous behaviors? Maybe they just wanted to go burn some ammo for simple fun. I think that is still allowed. One of my greatest pleasures is simple plinking. There are times when that is what I want to do. There are times when I am working on specific skills. I find no need to explain myself to anyone else on the range why I am there. As long as all are shooting safely, I think I can ignore what they are doing and concentrate on my own shooting.

If you feel the need to "enlighten the poor civilian masses" might I suggest you start a shooting school and see if anyone wants to pay you for your knowledge

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]

OP, I hope to one day achieve your level of awesomeness!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

I may be missing something, since I got these "lessons" from my dad at about age 5, but what does a grown man pay $300/hr to learn about shooting that can't be gleaned from YouTube for free and then a little trial and error at th range?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

I was referring to them. Kind of owning a race car and never taking it to the track.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This and it sounds like OP thinks he's hot shit all of a sudden but in reality has been shooting for how long? lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
**You're

..Grammar training..

This and it sounds like OP thinks he's hot shit all of a sudden but in reality has been shooting for how long? lol

Since 2003 you do the math
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
they were shooting AR's off the bench with a tripod?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
**You're

..Grammar training..

Congrats. I've been shooting since 1978 and many people on here have me beaten by decades.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:55:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I may be missing something, since I got these "lessons" from my dad at about age 5, but what does a grown man pay $300/hr to learn about shooting that can't be gleaned from YouTube for free and then a little trial and error at th range?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

They were doing partial mag dumps from the bench. I didn't see any trial and error. I was OK with it , just thought the bench was kind of weak.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]
The only range around here doesn't let you do anything but shoot from their rickety and poorly designed benches.  

What's worse, is that they make you start at the 25 yard line to prove that you can hit the broad side of a barn.  This greatly increases the amount of time it takes to accomplish anything there.

And yes, the marksmanship of their clientele is pretty awful.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Dear Diary i can't afford an ACOG

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Were they unsafe, doing muzzle sweeps, ignoring cold range/hot range commands, or other dangerous behaviors? Maybe they just wanted to go burn some ammo for simple fun. I think that is still allowed. One of my greatest pleasures is simple plinking. There are times when that is what I want to do. There are times when I am working on specific skills. I find no need to explain myself to anyone else on the range why I am there. As long as all are shooting safely, I think I can ignore what they are doing and concentrate on my own shooting.

If you feel the need to "enlighten the poor civilian masses" might I suggest you start a shooting school and see if anyone wants to pay you for your knowledge

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

Reason I started thread was to ask about these benches and to point out all these fucks with 3000 plus rifles that don't know how to shoot worth shit. Is it common to use a bench when not zeroing ?  I've never seen people use benches unless zeroing or precision shooting.  No one asked for an explanation , I've just never seen anything like that before.

I will not be starting a shooting school, I have taught several friends  the basics.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#33]

As soon as you gtfo my thread bruh
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:13:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Fuck that, just knowing that patch exists made this whole thread worth it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So I started shooting as a kid in 1976 then joined the army in 1989, then went to sniper school, became an instructor and have over 20 years in...so by your reasoning I'm way way WAY better than you. Oh, especially better since I was in Iraq when you were a boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
**You're

..Grammar training..

So I started shooting as a kid in 1976 then joined the army in 1989, then went to sniper school, became an instructor and have over 20 years in...so by your reasoning I'm way way WAY better than you. Oh, especially better since I was in Iraq when you were a boot.

Invasion? I arrived at PI 3/17/2003, first trip 2004 second trip 2006. And yes you could run circles around me and that doesn't bother me
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Tier 13'er
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#38]
So people enjoy shooting, but because they don't do it in your Tier 1 HSLD manner, they're idiots.

MmmmK...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reason I started thread was to ask about these benches and to point out all these fucks with 3000 plus rifles that don't know how to shoot worth shit. Is it common to use a bench when not zeroing ?  I've never seen people use benches unless zeroing or precision shooting.  No one asked for an explanation , I've just never seen anything like that before.

I will not be starting a shooting school, I have taught several friends  the basics.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

I had a $3+k rifle out today and I suck. I had a blast, made progresses, and enjoyed myself. I have nice guns because I can afford them and would rather have something to "grow in to" than something to replace when I'm pushing the limits of what it can do. Do you get pissy when someone has an RS4 and is driving the speed limit, enjoying themselves, and doing so safely?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#41]
hurry up OP and enter all shooting competitions so you can rule the shooting world!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  Can anyone point me to a link where I can get one of these patches?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

I believe it's his thread now. Sorry opie
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I see the same shit OP but I don't let it bother me.

I love the guys that rapid fire their ARs and put about 90% of their rounds in the dirt 20 feet in front of the target…. then they oh and ah over the new trigger they just got.

If they got the money to burn ammo like that and are otherwise safe who cares?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
hurry up OP and enter all shooting competitions so you can rule the shooting world!
View Quote

This thread went exactly as expected and ya know IDGAF. I did try to make it clear, that I do not think I'm a badass when it comes to shooting.

Shooting comps aren't for me
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ordered.
http://www.skdtac.com/Cool-Story-Bro-Patch-p/skd.420.htm
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I am cowboy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This thread went exactly as expected and ya know IDGAF. I did try to make it clear, that I do not think I'm a badass when it comes to shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but you made it a point to create a post on your computer on how good you were and how bad the regular civilians are
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I had a $3+k rifle out today and I suck. I had a blast, made progresses, and enjoyed myself. I have nice guns because I can afford them and would rather have something to "grow in to" than something to replace when I'm pushing the limits of what it can do. Do you get pissy when someone has an RS4 and is driving the speed limit, enjoying themselves, and doing so safely?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

Glad you're making progress.  I can afford nice things too; I decided to get three 6920s for a few hundred over 3k than one 3k rifle. This was not a jealousy thing without getting into details about money. I do see your point about the car though.

I see your point about the car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top