Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Your doc sounds like a guy who would tell you to take another salt tablet for that amputation..........The DEA should be disbanded.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont get it. some doctors will and dome won't. i have even gotten lectures because i asked for it about drug abuse like i am a junkie.  
it makes no sense. they give out Vicodin like candy and i  cant get a little cough syrup with codeine when it is the only thing that works for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hahaa yes I did. People that say drugs need to be thrown out after the first couple of years are full of fucking shit. That 10 year old prescription worked just like a brand new one.

I for one hate pain killers and the idea of getting hooked on them.  I had my knee surgery 10 years agoand it shows that I don't abuse my narcotics. I do however guard those things like fort knox though because I know how valuable they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My doctor wouldn't prescribe it to me either and I had walking pneumonia. It wasn't until I called and talked to a nurse and she couldn't make out what I was saying because I was coughing so much. They prescribed this stuff called cherrytusin or some shit. That stuff was about as strong as the shit you get OTC. I had some codeine left from a knee surgery in 2004,yes 2004, and started using it along with the cough syrup. I finally got relief after 3 weeks of wanting to die.

You used a controlled substance from an expired prescription?

Calling the cops right now.

eta: That was satire, btw.  Guess I have to say that around here.

Hahaa yes I did. People that say drugs need to be thrown out after the first couple of years are full of fucking shit. That 10 year old prescription worked just like a brand new one.

I for one hate pain killers and the idea of getting hooked on them.  I had my knee surgery 10 years agoand it shows that I don't abuse my narcotics. I do however guard those things like fort knox though because I know how valuable they are.

They say that for a reason. The expiration date dictates that the drug will still be as potent as when manufactured. But there are also drugs that tend to break down and become toxic after passing their expiration date. That's why it's not a good idea to take expired drugs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Doc is not FOS his is CYA.  Codeine was moved from a CIII to a CII by the FDA.  Meaning that a mild opiod that canada and 90% of the world deem OTC is treated liked morphine.  This means that ink signature and 30 day follow ups are necessary.  Therefore due to legal reasons you have been moved from a acute cold patient to a druggie.  Welcome to the advances of affordable modern medicine under our dear leader.  FBHO
View Quote

codeine in combination products is not C2 and the FDA doesn't have authority to change any classification of controlled status. they can and do make recommendations to the DEA to change them. your state legislature could have made it c2 in PA or the DEA can change the schedule federally. promethazine with codeine is federally schedule 5 and can be sold over the counter in some states.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doc is not FOS his is CYA.  Codeine was moved from a CIII to a CII by the FDA.  Meaning that a mild opiod that canada and 90% of the world deem OTC is treated liked morphine.  This means that ink signature and 30 day follow ups are necessary.  Therefore due to legal reasons you have been moved from a acute cold patient to a druggie.  Welcome to the advances of affordable modern medicine under our dear leader.  FBHO
View Quote

You're only partly correct. Plain codeine by itself is a schedule II drug while codeine containing products are CIIIs. So the rest of your statement is not correct. Doctors don't like to be told what to prescribe. That's what's wrong with people, they want to tell the doctor how to do their job. If you want someone to suggest something good, speak to a pharmacist. We're much more knowledgeable than doctors in regards to drugs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Try the tessalon pearls. I have a bad reaction to codeine, so I get tessalon, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're thinking hydrocodone which was recently moved from Schedule III to Schedule II, even if it contains Tylenol.  Codeine with Tylenol is still Schedule III and codeine without Tylenol has been Schedule II all along.  It's not common, but some doctors will prescribe pure codeine tablets to avoid the Tylenol.  

Moving hydrocodone with Tylenol (Vicodin) to Schedule II recently has been a huge pain in the ass for those of us that prescribe it, and it won't change how much is diverted to illicit use.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
"I have been getting codeine for decades"

Maybe you got flagged by some gov entity?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My doctor wouldn't prescribe it to me either and I had walking pneumonia. It wasn't until I called and talked to a nurse and she couldn't make out what I was saying because I was coughing so much. They prescribed this stuff called cherrytusin or some shit. That stuff was about as strong as the shit you get OTC. I had some codeine left from a knee surgery in 2004,yes 2004, and started using it along with the cough syrup. I finally got relief after 3 weeks of wanting to die.

While you are joking, I do wonder if it is in fact illegal?  From a safety standpoint, Tylenol and codeine are both chemically stable and should be good for many years past the expiration date, but we can't tell that to the patient.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Pussy, money, weed, codeine....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful.  Not all drugs are chemically stable.  For instance, Tetracycline expires after a year and the breakdown products are extremely toxic to the kidneys.  They will shut it down and people have died from it.  It depends on the drug.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Narcotics work for a cough

Please make an appointment

That will be $65
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks to a cold my throat is downright nasty, like cough until I throw up nasty. Called doc's office yesterday and was informed they no longer prescribe anything for coughs and codeine supposedly does not work. This is news to me as I have been getting codeine for decades and it always seemed to help. Any truth to this or has the war on drugs just cost me a decent nights sleep?

Anyone have any suggestions on a cough syrup that works? The OTC crap has no effect.

Narcotics work for a cough

Please make an appointment

That will be $65

Exactly.  It's always risky to practice medicine over the phone.  Everyone is happy until things go sideways.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Be careful.  Not all drugs are chemically stable.  For instance, Tetracycline expires after a year and the breakdown products are extremely toxic to the kidneys.  They will shut it down and people have died from it.  It depends on the drug.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh definitely. I did several hours of research to try and figure out it it broke down and becomes toxic after a certain period of time. Just from what little reading I did, opiates do not become toxic. It may loose strength but it's still a fuck ton stronger than anything OTC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks to a cold my throat is downright nasty, like cough until I throw up nasty. Called doc's office yesterday and was informed they no longer prescribe anything for coughs and codeine supposedly does not work. This is news to me as I have been getting codeine for decades and it always seemed to help. Any truth to this or has the war on drugs just cost me a decent nights sleep?

Anyone have any suggestions on a cough syrup that works? The OTC crap has no effect.
View Quote

sounds like you may need a hot toddy. My Mom made them all the time. (irish family roots) Hot toddy pre-dates codeine and should give you a good nights sleep.

Any of these will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43znGRSy9xU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrw2oF3VDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmXgib600PU

hope you feel better.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While you are joking, I do wonder if it is in fact illegal?  From a safety standpoint, Tylenol and codeine are both chemically stable and should be good for many years past the expiration date, but we can't tell that to the patient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is illegal. Same as taking a narcotic off the street.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

...Called doc's office yesterday and was informed they no longer prescribe anything for coughs and codeine supposedly does not work. This is news to me as I have been getting codeine for decades and it always seemed to help. Any truth to this or has the war on drugs just cost me a decent nights sleep?

View Quote

That's baloney, and I think it's time for you to find another doctor.

The OTC stuff makes me stay awake all night hallucinating.  Codeine stops the cough and lets me sleep peacefully.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the reason.  Our baby sitting government is punishing sick people in an effort to cut down on prescription drug abuse.  Not any different than Gun control legislation, punish and restrict the 100 million that don't break the law to just make it more difficult for the .1% that does.  Of course the .1% still get what ever they want because they don't obey the law to begin with.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]
A bottle of codeine cough syrup lasted for years, it just worked and we took it for granted.  If I'd known it was to become banned I would have bought 5 or 6 bottles... virtually a lifetime's worth.  Too late now.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks to a cold my throat is downright nasty, like cough until I throw up nasty. Called doc's office yesterday and was informed they no longer prescribe anything for coughs and codeine supposedly does not work. ..............................
View Quote

My dad gave me a pint of Phenergan with codeine for a recurring cough (allergy related, I think) back in the '80s. It did the trick. I kept it in the fridge for 4 or 5 years until it ran out. After we moved across town I didn't get the cough. Something in that concoction knocked out my cough.

And made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Quoted:

View Quote

I can't even get tetracycline for my rosacea anymore. Just doxycycline, which doesn't seem to work. FML, when I could get tetracycline it only cropped up occasionally. Now it's more frequent.

The doxy is more stable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is the reason.  Our baby sitting government is punishing sick people in an effort to cut down on prescription drug abuse.  Not any different than Gun control legislation, punish and restrict the 100 million that don't break the law to just make it more difficult for the .1% that does.  Of course the .1% still get what ever they want because they don't obey the law to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, hydrocodone (as in Vicodin, Lortab, and Norco) was recently reclassified as C-II.  Codeine is still C-III.

http://www.drugs.com/schedule-2-drugs.html
http://www.drugs.com/schedule-3-drugs.html

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"I have been getting codeine for decades"

Maybe you got flagged by some gov entity?

View Quote

You dont need the government for that.  Most pharmacies and insurance companies can pull up your past prescriptions.

BTW, some states restrict mid level providers, so sometimes your NP or PA, who you think is a physician, really cant write for that drug.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sizzurip/purple drank. That's why.
View Quote

I regard effective cough medicine and dead rappers as a WIN/WIN scenario.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, i love this place
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Dam purple drankers wrecked it for everyone. It is now impossible to get truly effective cough syrup around here, OTC.  I remember the Bad Old Days, when cough syrup had all kinds of Not Childsafe shit in it, and was therefore super effective.  How I hate "child safe" medicine.  Bring back the old dangerous stuff, which worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Dam purple drankers wrecked it for everyone. It is now impossible to get truly effective cough syrup around here, OTC.  I remember the Bad Old Days, when cough syrup had all kinds of Not Childsafe shit in it, and was therefore super effective.  How I hate "child safe" medicine.  Bring back the old dangerous stuff, which worked.

Actually, the fucking Drug Warriors did.  Let's assign the blame where it belongs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I just find it surprising that DXM based cough suppressant doesn't work. Even when I was using it daily(for science) it would still suppress any cough. Very interesting.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

this is why you cannot have nice things...

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn druggies have to ruin the legitimate use for everything.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
vicodin works too.
View Quote

Vicodin, hydrocodone, etc work great for a cough. Just make sure you drink some extra water because it dries you out and can make a sore throat worse.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife is a pharmacist.  It is legal and OTC in Ohio.  Thing is, most places won't carry it and the ones that do will rarely give it out (4oz at a time I think) unless they have known you for a long time.

It is the only thing that will work or me an my wife even has a hard time getting it.

Prescription drug abuse is probably worse than illegal drug use in Ohio and it isn't just the big cities.  Our rural county with 24K people (15K of them in the county seat) is fourth worst in the state.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

OTC and prescriptions? Whiskey is available pretty much everywhere.

How often do you get sick? I don't think I have ever been sick enough to need anything more powerful than OTC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was a kid, army brat, we used to get GI Gin when we were sick.  Terpin hydrate elixir  w/ codeine.
Honestly, I have no idea if it helped or not, but I guess it doped me up!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I took some codeine cough syrup once, I almost died!

It would seem im very allergic to it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's because of a certain demographic using it to make purple draaaank.  Trayvon had an easier time getting a hold of it than you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Dam purple drankers wrecked it for everyone.  It is now impossible to get truly effective cough syrup around here, OTC.  I remember the Bad Old Days, when cough syrup had all kinds of Not Childsafe shit in it, and was therefore super effective.  How I hate "child safe" medicine.  Bring back the old dangerous stuff, which worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Dam purple drankers wrecked it for everyone.  It is now impossible to get truly effective cough syrup around here, OTC.  I remember the Bad Old Days, when cough syrup had all kinds of Not Childsafe shit in it, and was therefore super effective.  How I hate "child safe" medicine.  Bring back the old dangerous stuff, which worked.

I'd say it's the nanny state that ruined it.  

The only "purple drankers" I've ever seen with the power and authority to bend doctors and pharmacies to their will are the ones we've elected.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#38]
There are some studies that show that codeine cough syrup is equivocal for treating coughs. I take that to mean that some patients get a benefit and some don't. It won't make you get better any faster. But opioids definitely suppress cough.

Abuse is definitely on the list of why doctors often won't prescribe it. I don't have a problem with some one who gets a script of Phenergan with Codeine or Cheratussin once a year. But when patients come in asking for Tussionex and say "it's the only thing that works", this raises a red flag. Not all of them are drug-seekers, but some of them are.

There is also a unique issue with codeine. There are 3 types of metabolizers. Slow, normal, and fast. Codeine is metabolized in your body to morphine. If you're a fast metabolizer and you take a bit more than you need, all that codeine turns into morphine quickly and it's possible to overdose and stop breathing. More likely if you also use alcohol or take benzodiazepines.

If you have a really productive cough and are bringing up lots of phlegm, it's a good idea to keep coughing and get it out. If it's a dry, naggy cough, I usually try to suppress those.

I worked a shift in urgent care and saw about 20 people with the flu yesterday. I probably wrote 10-12 scripts of phenergan with codeine. Everyone gets my little talk about using it safely, but I write it quite frequently in the cold and flu season.

This is just general medical info. It's always a good idea to discuss these issues with your doctor.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link?  It would be another reason to justify no-knocks.  Raid the house and look for any expired medication in the medicine cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you have a link? It would be another reason to justify no-knocks.  Raid the house and look for any expired medication in the medicine cabinet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link? It would be another reason to justify no-knocks.  Raid the house and look for any expired medication in the medicine cabinet.

But to do that they'd need probable cause that there's illegal drugs in the house (or at least a hobo who will tell a cop that there are illegal drugs in the house for $50).  That's why we must require all doctors to inform all levels of law enforcement when their patients' prescriptions expire.  We need to give the police the tools they need to get these dangerous illegal drugs (that just happened to have been legally prescribed and purchased) off the streets using whatever ineffective and unnecessarily violent means necessary!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck the WOD.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But to do that they'd need probable cause that there's illegal drugs in the house (or at least a hobo who will tell a cop that there are illegal drugs in the house for $50).  That's why we must require all doctors to inform all levels of law enforcement when their patients' prescriptions expire.  We need to give the police the tools they need to get these dangerous illegal drugs (that just happened to have been legally prescribed and purchased) off the streets using whatever ineffective and unnecessarily violent means necessary!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

<SNIPS>

Someone has been paying attention.  Obamacare is about control, not about health care.  Virtually all prescriptions are already electronic.  Once they are all electronic/computerized, the social engineering will continue.  Prescription expiration will be tracked.  Certain drugs will carry certain restrictions.  It can make you drowsy?  Temporary suspension of your driver's license for society's safety.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#44]
All cough medicine is worthless shit.  Fact.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#45]
No one group of idiots should be able to "ruin it for everyone".

Doctors should be able to deal with patients one on one.

If someone wants to pump shit into their body til their dead, let em.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Your back hurts? Get some lortab 10mg.

The worst part is they lie and say it doesn't work like biology changed because of bullshit laws/policies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#47]
My doctor offered to prescribe codeine cough syrup for me a few weeks ago when I had bronchitis, but I don't take it because  it screws up my stomach so he prescribed Benzonatate pills which worked pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I thought you could still get cough syrup with codine in the US by the pharmacists discretion. You had to go up and ask for it at the counter, like getting ephedrine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I thought you could still get cough syrup with codine in the US by the pharmacists discretion. You had to go up and ask for it at the counter, like getting ephedrine.
View Quote

In some states that is still the case.

I believe it's completely OTC in Canada - cough syrups and pain pills that contain 1/8 grain of codeine with aspirin.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I believe it's completely OTC in Canada - cough syrups and pain pills that contain 1/8 grain of codeine with aspirin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, both are legal in Canada, though I think some places have started making you ask for it. The codeine pain pills are supposed to work really well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top