Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember our SDI telling us that his DI's kept him in the whiskey locker for 3 days as punishment, and that his DI's literally beat the shit out of them as punishment. Maybe he was exaggerating, maybe not. I would estimate that he would have gone through boot late 70s or early 80s, FWIW. Also told us about picking up his buddies' body parts after the Beruit barracks bombing, which might explain why he was such a bitter, angry person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We rode a van from Charlotte NC MEPS, I remember a ride that seemed to go on forever,  going thru the gates, the van was quite, not a peep. It stops, what I remember was a blur. I remember being told to get off van on to yellow footprints.. then sitting a room for like 15hrs being called "bitch" and "freak" the entire time as they deprived us of sleep..
July 2000 MCRD PI 3rd plt 3080

They tortured you?  

I remember our SDI telling us that his DI's kept him in the whiskey locker for 3 days as punishment, and that his DI's literally beat the shit out of them as punishment. Maybe he was exaggerating, maybe not. I would estimate that he would have gone through boot late 70s or early 80s, FWIW. Also told us about picking up his buddies' body parts after the Beruit barracks bombing, which might explain why he was such a bitter, angry person.

I ran into one of my drill instructors in like 2008 or so.. it took me a second to remember where I knew him from. I talked to him for a minute,  he didn't remember me, though I didn't think he would.. I told him a story about him coming out with out SDI belt one night and cutting it into little pieces and how I still had a piece of the belt.. I think he's retired now,  teaching ROTC... grinstead was the name.. I'm also drunk right now so excuse any oh the above misspellings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I was so hung over I don't remember the first few days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Nuts to butts, make that man in front of you smile. RTC San Diego.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What is basic?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET OFF THE BUS!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't remember.  It was probably "get off the bus"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
All I remember it was a lot of words I didn't hear at church from an angry Dark Green (black dude for some of you) Marine DI.

Sept 24, 1982, MCRD Parris Island, SC  Plt 3083 H Co.

I returned almost 30 years later to watch my youngest son graduate from 3rd Bn, the sand fleas were waiting.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
'78 USAF
Something about rolling down sleeves and buttoning up shirts.
Then there were the bag drills . . .
Damn, I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the first words I heard at Quantico were either shithead or numbnuts. Not entirely sure, since everything was a blur. A Company, 3rd Platoon, PLC, 1966.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get off my bus

Amnesty box

Hurry UP / Move It

DROP

Not fast enough

Don't eyeball me boy

This is my "What the fuck did I sign up for face"

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/selfie.jpg
View Quote

nice BC glasses

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
"If you do anything to disrespect this squadron, I'll drag you into the shower and beat the shit out your ass, and leave you there so your blood washes down the drain" - SSgt Roger Thomas,  331 TRS January 25th 2005. I think he's a MSgt now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nuts to butts, make that man in front of you smile. RTC San Diego.
View Quote

Is that any different for Navy than being out in the fleet?

At least your women are slutty. I remember getting some Navy chick's phone number on family day at the Jack In The Box, the Sunday before graduation. She didn't realize that I was still a recruit, lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't remember, don't really care. Everything about that place sucked, don't know why people would want to relive it by remembering weird details!

I don't know how dudes remember all this shit about their basic, I graduated a few years ago and can tell you what company it was and where, but not much other than that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't really remember.  I remember we all got issued and had to wear old yellow PT sweats, top and white t shirt while carrying around a canteen and wearing a helmet liner in reception.  We had to stay there a week until the training battery was ready to take us.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
No idea. But it was like 2am. We were taken to a chow hall and fed breakfast. I remember one guy cutting his eggs or some shit with his fork and knife. It was quiet as a damn church when a drill walked by and saw him.  I remember hearing him scream "THIS IS NOT A FINE FUCKING DINING EXPERIENCE".
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#17]
*after a hard long stare* "HOW IS YOUR FATHER DOING!?"

Kind of sucked being enlisted with a father who was an officer. I did not know that sergeant, but he sure knew me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent almost two weeks at reception (A lot of fuckers were enlisting

back then) and remember being called "HERO" a lot! lol

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't remember, don't really care. Everything about that place sucked, don't know why people would want to relive it by remembering weird details!

I don't know how dudes remember all this shit about their basic, I graduated a few years ago and can tell you what company it was and where, but not much other than that.
View Quote

Because nostalgia is fun! But I know what you mean. Why do we remember worthless information, but can't remember useful stuff like the quadratic formula? Probably because memories with strong emotions attached are more firmly entrenched than things we learned in a boring classroom.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
"What the fuck do you want?" Said as I walked into the Fort Dix orderly room at 0300 in June, 1967. I didn't travel with a group, and was the only one on the shuttle bus from Newark.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#21]
"Welcome to Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island".

Said by a 6'7, Massive, Ukrainian drill instructor, with an incredibly heavy accent.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
"If you gentlemen would be so kind, please follow me and I'll show you to your rooms.  Don't worry about your bags, someone will deliver them to you. Ifanyone is hungry, the room service menu is available for another couple hours"

I then regained consciousness and realized we were not yet at the base...a few minutes later reality strikes!

Get off the bus! Get your bags! Stand in the yellow footprints! Put down your bags! Pick up your bags! Put down your bags! Maggots we can do this all fucking night! Pick up your bags! Put down your bags!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
"Sir, the CIA has waived your basic due to your tier one skills.  You'll be proceeding directly to shuttle gunnery training.  Sorry for the inconvenience."
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Bus pulls up, drill sergeants circle the bus like sharks

Good Afternoon,  My name is Drill Sergeant Burton. ( one guys says "Holy shit, its Sergeant Slaughter.  Hel looked just like him)  On behalf of myself, the training cadre and the United States Army, and Charlie Company 2/48th Inf  I'd like to welcome you to Ft Mc Clellan, AL. Now you have fifteen seconds to get off this fucking bus and ten of them are gone!  move your asses!  
Duffle bags and people  were going out the windows.
One guy pukes,  judging by the smell someone shit themselves.  
All and all, 18 years old, no money, no bills, no cares.  Got to go to the range and shoot someone else's weapons, did not have to pay a dime for ammo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bus pulls up, drill sergeants circle the bus like sharks

Good Afternoon,  My name is Drill Sergeant Burton. ( one guys says "Holy shit, its Sergeant Slaughter.  Hel looked just like him)  On behalf of myself, the training cadre and the United States Army, and Charlie Company 2/48th Inf  I'd like to welcome you to Ft Mc Clellan, AL. Now you have fifteen seconds to get off this fucking bus and ten of them are gone!  move your asses!  
Duffle bags and people  were going out the windows.
One guy pukes,  judging by the smell someone shit themselves.  
All and all, 18 years old, no money, no bills, no cares.  Got to go to the range and shoot someone else's weapons, did not have to pay a dime for ammo.
View Quote

I had a similar experience.  Welcome, my name is....., you have just arrived at....., he reached the back of the bus and then it began.  No shitty pants and no pukes
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
"Take your time....take your time......GET THE FUCK OFF MY BUS"

ah yisss...good times. lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Starbucks is on the left  and there's free wifi . Formation after lunch, any questions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET OFF THE BUS!!!!!!

That's about all I remember as well.

First day or so are kind of a blur.

P.I. 91
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
"GET OFF MY BUS,"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
A lot of "nut to butts" and "are you a non pisser?!" And "dont look at me!"

RTC great lakes 7\6\87 company 234

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got to reception at around midnigh. Did some quick paper work- amnesty box and stuff.  Went to the barracks.  Woke up to a trash can being thrown down the bay and the DS singing "get the fuck up, you're not motivated, get the fuck up, you're not moving fast enough..."
View Quote

The trashcan down the hallway...most effective alarm ever.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember laying in the receiving rack looking up at the underside of the striped mattress rubbing my first buzz cut ever, thinking"What the hell did i get myself into.
Shit got real after that. Platoon 1083 PISC. Semper Fi brothers!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Who's suckin whose dick?  

Bullshit Priiiite....you a faggot?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A lot of "nut to butts" and "are you a non pisser?!" And "dont look at me!"

RTC great lakes 7\6\87 company 234

View Quote

Nut to butts oh man I haven't heard that' since basic.

North island 7/21/1992.  Company 094
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
*after a hard long stare* "HOW IS YOUR FATHER DOING!?"

Kind of sucked being enlisted with a father who was an officer. I did not know that sergeant, but he sure knew me.
View Quote

There was a guy in basic who's father was another drill instructor on PI. That guy got none stop shit.. he ended up getting dropped to medical  platoon  during range week for  something..
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Something along the lines of "Welcome to Ft Knox. When you get off the bus, fall in outside the doors in two ranks" They were rather gentle that night as a local tv crew was there to film a segment on the military. Reception was dull. Day 0 was when the fun started.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET OFF THE BUS!!!!!!

This, and a lot more yelling.  The thing I remember most about intake was having hair clippings all down my back for a long long time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:21:10 AM EDT
[#40]
It was something along the lines of "On behalf of the Commanding General of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, I'd like to welcome you to Marine Corps boot camp."  After that, it was a blur of unintelligible words telling us to get off the bus and onto the yellow footprints.

I remember thinking for about a second that this isn't nearly as bad as my dad (a vietnam era Marine) or Full Metal Jacket had led me to believe it would be.

Looking back, boot camp wasn't nearly as bad as SOI or the FMF.  It was rather tame, actually.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET OFF THE BUS!!!!!!

I seem to remember a few other words in between there
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh yeah... "Stand on the white footprints, don't lock your knees because I don't want your blood and brains on my pad after you pass out and crack your skull".

321st, Lackland Jan 06, 2002.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#43]
"You have 10 seconds to get off my bus!" and "Stay off the grass!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Something about a prolapsed micro valve.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Arriving at MCRD Parris Island, Sept 20th, 1982; "wake up, Man, we're here." I fell asleep on the bus from Savannah, Ga airport to Parris Island. I went to high school with the guy sitting next to me on the bus. In fact, counting me, 7 guys from my class were in the same platoon in bootcamp. It wasn't so bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

To this day, if anywhere but my house or a park, I won't walk on the grass.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#47]
first thing i heard was, "should i tear up my social security card?" as we stood on the yellow foot prints. It was at that moment that  i understood that the marines was going to be a fun laughable experience.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha! Awesome. I try not to either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh yeah... "Stand on the white footprints, don't lock your knees because I don't want your blood and brains on my pad after you pass out and crack your skull".

321st, Lackland Jan 06, 2002.
View Quote

LOL, that AF basic is so brutal!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top