Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/20/2014 3:41:09 AM EDT
I'm not, nor have I ever been a Christian. My wife, however, is.  I am seriously considering taking Pascal's wager and throwing in my lot with her and her church. I think I would enjoy the sense of community it would bring.

Anybody think a rational, yet spiritual, person who believes in a higher power, but not necessarily the divinity of Christ, can dive headlong into Christianity and be happy, and content?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]

No.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

You're halfway there already. And you will enjoy the fellowship, most likely.

But don't try to fake it for your wife's sake. No one will be happy. Give it a honest try.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe for a while, just don't talk to the people in the congregation for too long.

Eventually it'll grind you down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Just be honest with yourself. Nothing wrong with believing in anything that your heart is in.
We do it everyday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe for a while, just don't talk to the people in the congregation for too long.

View Quote

I'd imagine that OP has enough sense to recognize who in the congregation is worth speaking to. As in any other setting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Pascal's wager... Believing in and searching for Kryptonite on the off chance that Superman exists and wants to kill you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I think Pascal's Wager, as a concept, is completely ridiculous.

That said, I am certain that you won't lose anything, and might actually stand to gain something, by spending time at church with your wife. Worst case, you try it for a while and decide it's not for you.

ETA: Full disclosure, I am in the same situation as you with my wife and I choose not to attend church with her. I went down the church path as a teenager and decided it wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pascal's wager... Believing in and searching for Kryptonite on the off chance that Superman exists and wants to kill you.
View Quote

Yeah, that's kind of reducto ad absurdum.  Not really what Pascal's wager is all about.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd imagine that OP has enough sense to recognize who in the congregation is worth speaking to. As in any other setting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying.

I tried this with my ex wife.

After hearing how everyone is saved, and some of these were pretty shitty people, I couldn't deal with it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's kind of reducto ad absurdum.  Not really what Pascal's wager is all about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The argument is logically fallacious in a number of regards, I really don't feel like burning an hour breaking it down for you when google is a step away.

You clearly have beliefs and are trying to justify them.  If you were asking questions you didn't already have answers to, you wouldn't be trying to defend an answer that circumvented asking a question in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The wager is nonsensical on its face.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm just saying.

After hearing how everyone is saved, and some of these were pretty shitty people, I couldn't deal with it anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying.

I think it depends on the church. These gigantic non-denominational churches... not for me. For the reasons you give and others.

Find a small church local to you, small congregation. Where folks actually know each other.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Churches are full of sinners, that's why I don't go to one. People who have problems, and need some sort of help.

If only church helped people with sin and their personal problems..... Hmmm.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It also makes some rather large and unsupported theological assumptions, such as God either not discerning or not caring about obedience through fear (dishonest belief) versus belief through faith (honest belief).  If you're only in it basically out of fear, to save your hide, you think the God of Abraham isn't going to be able to tell and deal with somebody who isn't really, totally onboard with the program deep in their heart?

The Wager is a flawed argument that attempts to reinforcing and justify pre-existing faith in a logical debate where faith holds no credibility.  It's an attempt to build a theological, emotional beach-head in the world of logic and it's not a very good one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Strictly from a theological viewpoint, Pascal's wager fails because it is insincere.

Salvation occurs when the belief [that Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died on the cross and was resurrected] is authentic. It is not a one-sided deal where you hedge your bets and hope for the best. It is a transformative experience in which you are filled with the Holy Spirit and are thus born again spiritually.

You cannot fake your way through it; you know what's in your heart and God knows what's in your heart and you're just kidding yourself that you can fool God.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why i posted what i posted. Pascal's Wager?
Just believe and proceed how you feel.
Iam not going to get into scenarios or stir the pot.
You know what you like or don't like.
You have the ability to reason.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#17]
The Bible and the Gospels either speak to you in a way that your heart understands and gives comfort to your soul through faith... or it doesn't.

They do, for me.

A good church is a wonderful community to be a part of.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I know nothing of Pascal or his wager, aside from what the great wiki said.

However, by "throwing in" with your wife and/or the church, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Oddly enough, much like this wager, your gain can be eternal.  If, as you believe, God does not exist, then you have lost nothing.

To answer your question; Yes, you can be as happy and content as you are now if you gain nothing.  If you gain a sense of community, friendship, love, etc., you will certainly be more happy and content.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Strictly from a theological viewpoint, Pascal's wager fails because it is insincere.

Salvation occurs when the belief [that Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died on the cross and was resurrected] is authentic. It is not a one-sided deal where you hedge your bets and hope for the best. It is a transformative experience in which you are filled with the Holy Spirit and are thus born again spiritually.

You cannot fake your way through it; you know what's in your heart and God knows what's in your heart and you're just kidding yourself that you can fool God.
View Quote

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^There you go! Which ever way you believe. Be true to yourself.
That is all that matters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It also makes some rather large and unsupported theological assumptions, such as God either not discerning or not caring about obedience through fear (dishonest belief) versus belief through faith (honest belief).  If you're only in it basically out of fear, to save your hide, you think the God of Abraham isn't going to be able to tell and deal with somebody who isn't really, totally onboard with the program deep in their heart?

The Wager is a flawed argument that attempts to reinforcing and justify pre-existing faith in a logical debate where faith holds no credibility.  It's an attempt to build a theological, emotional beach-head in the world of logic and it's not a very good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most importantly, it assumes you chose the right god.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think I would enjoy the sense of community it would bring.
... be happy, and content?
View Quote

What does religion have to do with any of those things?  Can't you do all of that, even with the same group of religious people at the same church, without personal faith?

Believe in your fellow man.

Or something.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Join the local Gun club, and show up for meetings, maint. days, shoots, and help out with the Jr program.
It's like Church for gunqueers.

Or just go hang out as a fake Christian, until you hate yourself.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also this.

Odin is going to have to beat some motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#25]
You can be apathetic about this and it wouldn't matter. Do you think so?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Slight thread drift...

When I was back at USAFA from 1990 to 1994...this is my own very anecdotal experience or observation... The most bible thumping cadets were the worst hypocrites...They were very judgemental of other cadets. They didn't come across as very Christian.

Or as the old saying goes:  "churches aren't a museum for saints but rather a hospital for sinners."

It is a proven psychological phenomenon that as religiosity goes up, tolerance goes down.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  It would make somewhat more sense if man has created only one God, but alas there are many more than one...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#28]

I'm curious.  How does one turn belief on and off?  If your mind does not believe, what good is pretending?  Are we supposed to assume a god can be tricked?  That by going through the motions, and pretending belief god will reward you with eternal bliss?

How does Pascal's Wager work?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide with fluorine mineral is not terribly expensive and is ultimately cheap insurance against super powered sons of Krypton run amok.

You can get it from mines in Serbia.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm curious.  How does one turn belief on and off?  If your mind does not believe, what good is pretending?  Are we supposed to assume a god can be tricked?  That by going through the motions, and pretending belief god will reward you with eternal bliss?

How does Pascal's Wager work?

View Quote

I'd venture to say the vast majority of religious adherents are only "going through the motions", but who am I to judge?  That's what's so attractive about the "born again" crowd, you simply say some jibberish, and you are good, regardless of previous sins.  All murderers are gtg, just say a few words and believe them and bam! Heaven!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I think you would meet a lot of nice people and hear a lot of good advice, stories, and metaphors that would bring good into your life. It is a good time for self-reflection.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm not, nor have I ever been a Christian. My wife, however, is.  I am seriously considering taking Pascal's wager and throwing in my lot with her and her church. I think I would enjoy the sense of community it would bring.
Anybody think a rational, yet spiritual, person who believes in a higher power, but not necessarily the divinity of Christ, can dive headlong into Christianity and be happy, and content?
View Quote

Of course.  What you believe is what should be important to you.

I happen to believe that Pascal predicated his wager on a belief in mythical places, willfully ignoring the secular ramifications of choosing a monastic life.

In other words:  "The sinners are much more fun..."

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#33]
They will want your money and make you feel guilty if you don't ante up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Pascal's wager isn't so much an argument as a demonstration of the problems with unbounded utilitarianism. Hence it's descendant, Pascal's mugging.

Send me a free Colt 6920 or 15 invisible babies die.

You probably find the idea of ethereal infants ludicrous, but it's conceivable they exist, so they have some microscopic probability in your eyes. So I need simply increase the negative value of the outcome until it multiplies out into something big enough to tip the scale regardless of how implausible the claim is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Pascal's Wager hinges on you picking the right god to worship, and on that god being gullible enough to fall for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pascal's Wager hinges on you picking the right god to worship, and on that god being gullible enough to fall for it.
View Quote

This.

There are a couple thousand. Choose wisely
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
... Anybody think a rational, yet spiritual, person who believes in a higher power, but not necessarily the divinity of Christ, can dive headlong into Christianity and be happy, and content?
View Quote

I can't even get near a church without smelling hypocrisy.

Canoeing is a sport with a nice community. Really. The people tend to be kind and peaceful and helpful. The outdoor activity is therapeutic. Great way to spend a Sunday morning. And you don't have to get dressed up or give money to charlatans.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Canoeing is a sport with a nice community. Really. The people tend to be kind and peaceful and helpful. The outdoor activity is therapeutic. Great way to spend a Sunday morning. And you don't have to get dressed up or give money to charlatans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... Anybody think a rational, yet spiritual, person who believes in a higher power, but not necessarily the divinity of Christ, can dive headlong into Christianity and be happy, and content?

I'm very agnostic, so I share your skepticism cynicism.  There have been a couple of church services I've been to in which the pastor seemed to truly care about the daily lives of his congregation, and seemed wise enough that I should listen to him.

I've also been to services that make me want to walk up to the altar and punch the lying prick bastard in the mouth, then walk into the pews and bitch-slap the idiots who believe in him.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm very agnostic, so I share your skepticism cynicism.  There have been a couple of church services I've been to in which the pastor seemed to truly care about the daily lives of his congregation, and seemed wise enough that I should listen to him.

I've also been to services that make me want to walk up to the altar and punch the lying prick bastard in the mouth, then walk into the pews and bitch-slap the idiots who believe in him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We went to a dinner a couple days ago and the preacher giving the invocation thanked God for making the stock market go up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We went to a dinner a couple days ago and the preacher giving the invocation thanked God for making the stock market go up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question... Did he thank God for making the stock market go up or did he express thankfulness that the stock market went up?  Very important distinction.  The formal means he's a money grubbing fool that should be run out of the church.  The latter is an expression of gratefulness that the market went up without any implication it was because of a personal favor from God.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#41]
? ?? ?????µe??? ???e?

ETA: Why doesn't arfcode support UTF-8?

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

How exactly does that work when the central tenant of Christianity is the divinity of Christ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How exactly does that work when the central tenant of Christianity is the divinity of Christ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence the statement being presented as a question... Oops!  Grammar Police mode accidentally left on.  

It's called Judaism... Even Islam considers Jesus as a divine entity (although a minor prophet).  Nobody ever said religion had to make sense... That's why there is an emphasis on faith.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#45]
OP, there's only one way to find out - might as well give it a try.

I believe you will have a hard time maintaining that position, though.   C.S Lewis who once held that position, he came to the following conclusion:

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about
Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God."
That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things
Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic-on a level with the
man who says he is a poached egg-or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your
choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You
can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His
feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His
being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
View Quote

- http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/apologetics/mere-christianity/Mere-Christianity.pdf
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am Christian,  although most people would consider me a "bad" Christian.  I really don't go to church much, which drives my wife a little crazy.  I curse, I've been known to have a drink now and again, and I'm no stranger to porn.  In short, I'm a sinner.  That makes just the same as everybody else I know.  But I don't kick dogs, I'm kind to children, and I try to be the most honorable man I can be.  I figure God knows me better than anybody.  Don't necessarily let a disdain for "church" keep you from having a relationship with God.   The affect He can have in your life is nothing short of miraculous.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The argument is logically fallacious in a number of regards, I really don't feel like burning an hour breaking it down for you when google is a step away.

You clearly have beliefs and are trying to justify them.  If you were asking questions you didn't already have answers to, you wouldn't be trying to defend an answer that circumvented asking a question in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pascal's wager is not a formal proof.  It's from an incomplete work where he jotted down some notes where he was going to make an entire book about God (called the Pensees).  It isn't really an argument for God.  It is very clearly a response to the accusation that there must not exist a God.  It is perfectly sensible and - while not proven with formal logic - it was intended to be a simple argument  that anyone can grasp.  Academics generally have a hard time with simple subjects.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Partake and be polite and cordial. Feel free to ask serious questions and even though you don't agree with their answers, most should enjoy an honest conversation. If they do not, find a church that will.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes. Even if the belief system doesn't win you over, its an excuse to make new friends and make your wife happy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I believe you will have a hard time maintaining that position, though.   C.S Lewis who once held that position, he came to the following conclusion:

- http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/apologetics/mere-christianity/Mere-Christianity.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about
Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God."
That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things
Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic-on a level with the
man who says he is a poached egg-or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your
choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You
can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His
feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His
being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.

And he is absolutely correct.

Jesus repeatedly said he was the son of God. Repeatedly. So no one can really say "oh well he was a great rabbi/teacher/man", because he would have been lying about his entire existence.

He either really is who he says he is or he is one of the worst liars in the history of the planet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top