Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Page Two is in fear of being eaten.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who are you and why are you using my voice?
View Quote

I'm the Green Bastard, from Parts Unknown.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
We don't get invited over to other people's house because when we invite them over, apparently, we put on airs.

Like cooking dessert from scratch.

Putting out snacks and appetizers as dinner is cooking.

Serving a salad.

Cleaning the house.

Turning off the TV.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP, I am not sure if I would call them stingy or just bitchy.  My wife is Italian/Puerto Rican and only knows how to cook in large quantities.
You would be welcome here to eat all you want.  You should tell them to kiss your ass and be done with it.
View Quote

Can confirm- FIL is Italian and there is no such thing as a small meal when that man cooks. Holidays just get ridiculous.

Sorry your in-laws are a-holes OP.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
That's odd. I can't get away with eating less than two plates (and then there's dessert) at family dinners.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
When you go to a restaurant, how many entrees do you order?  If you order one, how do you get by?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're bad hosts.
View Quote

Maybe not bad, but I'd certainly agree that they were poor hosts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, fat boy, maybe you should throttle back on the gluttony.

Eating isn't a fucking contest.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
More important than all this did your wife tell them to foad?

Utter bullshit, never darken their door again and make it understood they are not welcome through yours, ever.

They are not family and they are full of shit.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your portions should mirror other guests. If you are hungry afterwards hit the drive thru at McD's.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
You shouldn't make a pig of yourself at someone else's home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
When I have guests for a meal, I don't worry about how much anyone eats. I prepare more than enough food for everyone. If you are hosting a dinner and there are no leftovers, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, how are your table manners and your manners in general?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No kidding.  My In-Laws tell me to eat more, get seconds, get thirds, eat, eat, eat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they are stingy

No kidding.  My In-Laws tell me to eat more, get seconds, get thirds, eat, eat, eat.

That is what true family does!

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:02:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Down here (the south) our women are known for stuffing guests until they are full. As the host they take pride in taking care of their guest. If the table is set and you immediately go for mashed potatoes, you can be damn sure next time they will be made the same way and be served in a bigger bowl. If you don't clean your plate and go back for seconds, the host is sure you didn't like their cooking.

We also send people home with food. You drink 3 glasses of mommas sweet tea? Your ass is carrying a gallon home since you like it.

Nobody would say shit like your SIL did. Having guests is about having guests, taking care of people, and showing your culinary skill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Down here (the south) our women are known for stuffing guests until they are full. As the host they take pride in taking care of their guest. If the table is set and you immediately go for mashed potatoes, you can be damn sure next time they will be made the same way and be served in a bigger bowl. If you don't clean your plate and go back for seconds, the host is sure you didn't like their cooking.

We also send people home with food. You drink 3 glasses of mommas sweet tea? Your ass is carrying a gallon home since you like it.

Nobody would say shit like your SIL did. Having guests is about having guests, taking care of people, and showing your culinary skill.
View Quote

This ^^^ not wanting to feed you is the same as we don't love even like you even a little bit in the South.  Even the idiot convicted drug using felon in the family gets fed at family gatherings as if there will be no tomorrow and the baby Jesus will curse the hosts name if they don't walk out stuffed.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:24:26 AM EDT
[#19]
If it will make you feel better you can have my SIL.  She's short, fat, has a big mouth and is a flaming liberal, tree-hugging, Hillary Clinton, BHO loving shit-stain, who is sucking up my oxygen. There, now I have said it.

ETA, pics of her are not forthcoming as they too fucking heavy to upload.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I still think that there's something up with the family.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
they are stingy
View Quote

Yes. The foods not all that expensive, just make more of it.

Like when I make fried chicken, one chicken isn't enough, especially when my brother is around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Next time you do get invited, eat before you go.

Then eat very littke there and when they ask you if you want more, tell them no thank you, you don't  like it.

That should solve the problem

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
There's something else they don't like.  The eat too much excuse is just a bizarre excuse.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
they are stingy
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Christ my relatives try to always make me eat more!!

And I ain't no light weight to begin with!!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

pics of wife and SIL not loading.
View Quote
You into boys and girls? Unless op means Sister in law instead of Son in Law lol.

Could be taken either way.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#28]
If your wife does the cooking and fixes your plate regardless of where you are, then whose fault is it really
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm confused about what the complaint is, OP.

If I'm serving dinner for six and prepare six steaks, obviously I would think it rude if you tried to grab two of them. Or, if I've prepared mashed potatoes for six people and you take half of what's in the serving dish, that too would be rude because you're not leaving enough for everyone else.

I assume you're not classless enough to do those things. So what is your SIL complaining about specifically? That you're the first to jump for a second helping? That after the food is all gone, you ask for more?

If it's the former, I'd say she that she's guilty of being a poor hostess. If it's the latter, I'd say behave yourself as a guest and eat more at home if you're still hungry. This is common sense. Or am I missing something else?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Where is the OP...............still eating dinner?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your portions should mirror other guests. If you are hungry afterwards hit the drive thru at McD's.

View Quote

This. I make a bunch of prime rib every year and the in-laws stay the night on Christmas. One year I wasn't feeling good and didn't eat and the fuckers took my plate from the frige the next day and ate my fucking meal. This was after they ate seconds and thirds and all of the desserts I made from scratch the previous day and I had a frige full of cold cuts for lunch, plus other leftovers from the day before christmas.

I was a bit pissed and they never were allowed to stay over again and I limited how much I put out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"Yoo bin heya four 'owa.....yoo go home now"
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Y u so fat op?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They're bad hosts.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that just means they (your SIL or your wife) are trying to spare your feelings and don't want to tell you the real reason.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm thinking they just don't like you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm thinkin' that there's something else goin' on there OP(?)

Who the fuck worries about who eats what at family get-to-gathers?!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#37]
They aren't italian are they?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I always get shit when I cook for people coming over because I cook to feed twice as many people as I invited I always end up sending people home with stuff and appreciate it when they eat. Talk about bad hosts, it's a whole other thing if you are going out to eat with someone and they are paying the bill and you are downing 2-3 separate entree's plus appetizers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#39]

This is ridiculous. Even if you do eat a lot how much more could it possibly cost to feed you occasionally? Sounds like an excuse and not a reason to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#40]
People are strange about food.

A year ago we went out to eat with my friend, and his family. We planned on paying for our meal, but they paid the waiter instead without asking us. They grabbed our leftovers, and said since they paid they are keeping them. It was a big WTF moment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Do you hold your fork like a sword and start on second servings before the hosts are even at the table?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And judgemental and by the way they don't like you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're bad hosts.

And judgemental and by the way they don't like you.

Yep

Sounds like op need to give them a good "let me give you a good reason to not invite me, fuck you cuntdragger"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily, I really like steaks, some people like salads and veggies. If there are 4 steaks, I will usually take 2 (sometimes 2-1/2 if they are small), but I make up for it by not eating salad or vegetables. It is a win for everyone!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#44]
OP, if you ever get invited over there again, eat before you go.  When dinner is served, take one bite and then push the plate away.  Winning!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#45]
There seems to be some other reason for this.

Anyone who comes to a party at my house can have whatever they want to eat or drink, just be mindful of the other guests.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^.

I almost always leave hungry. I never want people to think I'm abusing my role as a guest.

You have to give her credit for being honest and telling your wife, even if it is weird.

Tell them you will bring a sack lunch. You just want to spend quality time with people you love.

sorry I couldn't type that last line with a straight face.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#47]
A guest is a guest.

When we entertain part of that is making more food than anyone could eat.  None of it goes to waste and it's all about being thankful for being able to do that - it's just part of the get-together.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I never end up with that problem when we host people over.  We go big and make plenty of food and I'd prefer not to eat leftovers more than two days in a row.

I did feel like a OP's SIL when the bacon explosion was down to it's last slice on Thanksgiving (we hosted on Friday),  but only because half the guests hadn't gotten off of work yet.  That 4# pork log didn't last 10 minutes.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe the issue isn't really that you eat too much but that you don't contribute (bring something) or that you don't reciprocate by hosting dinner for them in turn.  

i.e. you're seen as a mooch!  Or perhaps they think you complain too much and don't show any gratitude.

I would suggest that you invite them to your place and cook for them. Then see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that just means they (your SIL or your wife) are trying to spare your feelings and don't want to tell you the real reason.

View Quote

My first thought.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top