Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 11:15:14 PM EDT
Am I nuts?  

16 hr trip from West Central Texas to Vegas.  Worth it to save some bucks?
Will the gamble on gas pay off??
Got to admit, always wanted to see Western NM and AZ
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for it. Wife and I go to the SHOT show every year, next year we're contemplating driving. Give is an AAR after you complete your trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My Son and Daughter in Law drive from Fort Worth to North Eastern Nevada in a 24 Hr trip.

I drove to Fort Smith Ark. from Reno and I enjoyed the trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I drove from Bama to the Pacific this summer. I hit Vegas coming and going. It's worth the drive. Especially Utah and Colorado. I recommend stopping in Moab along the way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Drive to Vegas for TDYs all the time, I'm about sick of driving I-15 at this point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
West Central Texas? Whereabouts?

Have done the drive from Odessa/Midland a few times. You'll save money if it is more than just you going. Kind of mitigated cost if it is just you. I'm not sure if you've ever drove through New Mexico, but NM is one of the shittiest places to drive through. It is so fucking boring and mind numbingly mundane. Northern Arizona is nice(up through Flagstaff). Lot's of scenery.

It's a hell of a straight drive, trust me. Unless you've done long road trips in the past(at least 10 hours), you might be better off flying, once you start to factor hotel costs in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just drove from Dodge City, Ks back here to Northern Ca. I bought a truck there. Flew out, drove it back. Piece of cake. I fucking hate flying. I love driving and seeing the country.

A summer trip would be hot in that area. Prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
We drive there more often than flying.  I really like the drive on I 70.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I would do it just to see the Grand Canyon. It's about a 4 hour drive from there to Vegas, I think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You might not save any money but there are some pretty awesome sights in new Mexico and northern Arizona. If you are a drinker the trip home may be brutal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
4 years ago I drove from Kansas City to Vegas going through Wichita, Albuquerque and Flagstaff.  Loved the drive.  You will definitely need to stop and see the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam.  We went through the pertrified forest and I thought it sucked.  Lots to see and want to do it again someday.  Highly recommend it but only if you love to drive.  Gas prices are predicted to go down for the next 6-8 months so you should be good there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Am I nuts?  

View Quote
LOL  see it once.. then you'll never want to see it again.

Temper your anticipation when you get to Flagstaff...You still have a loooong way to go.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck yeah, there is something about driving through the desert. Lived in Vegas for about 3 years and made the trip back and forth to Montana a couple times. Put on some "Interstate Love Song" and do it brother. Highway 93 north from Vegas was some desolate freakin' real estate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Am I nuts?  

View Quote

Do it.

But not to save bucks.  Lots of sights to see if you take the extra time to stop and look.  Especially if you have the time to take a few days for some side trips.

If all you're going to do is bee-line it to LV as fast as possible, I'd say just fly unless you just don't want to deal with the TSA crap.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck yeah, there is something about driving through the desert. Lived in Vegas for about 3 years and made the trip back and forth to Montana a couple times. Put on some "Interstate Love Song" and do it brother. Highway 93 north from Vegas was some desolate freakin' real estate.
View Quote

Word.  But still beautiful in its own way.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, it is neat. Just make sure your gas tank is full.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  It makes no sense from a monatary perspective.   Now, if you want to "See America", and don't get to do enough driving in your everyday work life, then FO.   It sounds wonderfully exciting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Long drive.

If you get caught in a thunderstorm or hailstorm it can get pretty damn scary.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#18]
It's not worth it for the money but it sure is for the drive.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The cost of the drive is more than just the gas, you have to include all the wear items.

It's a trade off in time - are you wanting to experience as much of vegas as possible? If so, then fly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Watch out for bats.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a town called Chloride along the way. I'm pretty sure it's the inspiration for The Hills Have Eyes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Skip Vegas, go to cool places instead.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#23]
If I can get there in a reasonable time by car, I will drive rather than flying. Flying is truly terrible now. It's not just the TSA rape, it's the unfriendly, overpriced skies as well. Flying sucks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Knew people in Parhump, Boulder City and Vegas. Used to make the drive from southern California to those areas pretty regularly in the mid 1990s.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]
With gas falling to fast and hard i would long as time isn't an issue.

Take the I-40 way out and the Hoover dam way back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With gas falling to fast and hard i would long as time isn't an issue.

Take the I-40 way out and the Hoover dam way back.  
View Quote

THIS.

Dallas to Amarillo then I-40 to Kingman, AZ and north across Hoover Dam or the new Hoover Dam Bypass.  It would be worth it just for the view from that new bridge.  I-40 can be boring between Amarillo and Albuquerque, but it can also be beautiful places like Flagstaff, AZ and the painted cliffs area in NM.  I've made that trip many times and it's always something new in those places every time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Old 66 or I-40 west of Albuquerque is good scenery.  East of ABQ is pretty much high plains bleeeaaaah

Chloride is good for about 15 minutes including buying a drink at the general store.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
That's at least a two-day trip.  Just don't try to do it in one day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe we should plan this out...my peeps are in Abilene (prettiest li'l town), and I'm here in Vegas.  Try to get my family there at least once a year to visit what we consider home (though we've resided here in Vegas for a few decades now).

I will ALWAYS drive (and can recommend the best restaurants/hotels en route) rather than fly.  In fact, if I need to be anywhere CONUS, and time isn't critical...the airlines can take all their fees and shove 'em (directly overhead, or comfortably...wherever they may fit)...I'll be driving.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#30]
16 hours isn't all that long of a drive.

In one day it is stretching my patience, but over two days it is just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top