Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gods from the Skies, not of this world.

that literally means "extraterrestrial"

jus sayin'
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Horus is definitely not a myth. I've seen pictures of him fighting the emperor and some of the primarchs
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't know about GD, but I say obvious troll is obvious.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus was Horus a myth from ancient Egyptian folklore, what say GD? Link

Don't know about GD, but I say obvious troll is obvious.

You're not saying that a brand new account started this month would start a thread trying to discredit Jesus just days before one of the biggest Christian holidays as a way of stirring up trouble, are you!?!

I've never even heard of such a thing!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Intradasting.

All religion is a product of man, in my view.

I subscribe to the possibility of a clockmaker. Jury still out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Odd that they didn't mention his superpowers. If a modern homeless guy raised the dead in front of crowds, broke the laws of physics, and was tried for treason and executed by the federal government, people would notice and future historians would have at least a handful of primary sources.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, there is decent evidence for the existence for a historical Jesus.  Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews written around A.D. 90 speaks of him.   Tacitus writes of a Christus who was executed by Pontius Pilate in his Annals written around 110 A.D.

Of course, these sources only attest to the existence of a person meeting the description of Jesus and can not (and do not) attest to any claims of divinity...

Odd that they didn't mention his superpowers. If a modern homeless guy raised the dead in front of crowds, broke the laws of physics, and was tried for treason and executed by the federal government, people would notice and future historians would have at least a handful of primary sources.

I don't think it's odd at all, as Christianity was considered an odd subversive religion that came from a backwater province populated by a people with strange customs at that time by good upstanding Roman citizens, which Tacitus certainly was. Undoubtedly neither of these sources believed that Jesus was any sort of divine being.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, there is decent evidence for the existence for a historical Jesus.  Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews written around A.D. 90 speaks of him.   Tacitus writes of a Christus who was executed by Pontius Pilate in his Annals written around 110 A.D.

Of course, these sources only attest to the existence of a person meeting the description of Jesus and can not (and do not) attest to any claims of divinity...

If only there were primary sources from people who knew Jesus and were associated with him.

Then they could be collected into a source book of some sort.

A testament, so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I once met an Atheist who was SO convinced that everything in the Bible was fiction, that she refused to believe in "Ancient Egypt" or Ramses, or Moses.    She didn't know she was actually "retarded."
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There saying that's where the story of Jesus originated from, and both story's are the same.  It appears to be a copy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't heard that one, but I have heard that the Jewish God is or was inspired by Amun-Ra. That one kinda makes sense I guess. The timelines work.

Jesus as Horus doesn't quite work out though, timeline-wise.

There saying that's where the story of Jesus originated from, and both story's are the same.  It appears to be a copy.

Some of it is pure coincidence. The Bible doesn't list Christs birthday as the 25th of Dec, it was selected later and I doubt they had even heard of the Egyptian myths.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most historians agree with that, although there isn't much documentation.

Interesting aside: there were a bunch of messiahs running around at that time. It was sort of a "thing".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think there are references to Jesus in non biblical writings from the time. Regardless whether you believe he was the Son of God, I think there is little question that there was a carpenter/ religious leader who was a real person

Most historians agree with that, although there isn't much documentation.

Interesting aside: there were a bunch of messiahs running around at that time. It was sort of a "thing".

There's no Messiah in here. There's a mess all right, but no Messiah.  Now go away!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a very good correlation

When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where hsi eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.

Not sure what a hsi eye is, but I have never seen that done at a Bar Mitzvah.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you are right. I mean none of the books in the New Testament were authored and cover this area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL- every Christmas and Easter
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hay-Seuss was Toth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I am sure proud to say I believe and claim my One Drop of JESUS'S Blood. I also believe that we will not be asking this question in our not so distance future, we will know for sure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus was Horus a myth from ancient Egyptian folklore, what say GD? Link

View Quote

Jesus is the Alpha and  Omega.   Sure, Satan has spend a long time trying to confuse things, keep people from the truth, kill all of the Jews, corrupt human DNA, destroy Creation.  The Gospel is in the stars, and even there, Satan has tried to corrupt it.  But it's always been there...

The Gospel in the Stars
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If only there were primary sources from people who knew Jesus and were associated with him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only. But there isn't. None of the authors were eyewitnesses. Most of the books were written hundreds of years after the fact. Mark did not author the book of Mark, Mathew did not author the book of Mathew, etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#19]

“The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the sun, in which they put a man called Christ in the place of the sun, and pay him the adoration originally payed to the sun.”-Thomas Paine

I guess this isn't a new idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If only. But there isn't. None of the authors were eyewitnesses. Most of the books were written hundreds of years after the fact. Mark did not author the book of Mark, Mathew did not author the book of Mathew, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wrong again

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I haven't heard that one, but I have heard that the Jewish God is or was inspired by Amun-Ra. That one kinda makes sense I guess. The timelines work.

Jesus as Horus doesn't quite work out though, timeline-wise.
View Quote

Although, wasn't Horus part of a "trinity", along with Amun-Ra and one other?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Cite?

Even the most critical scholars still concede that the gospels were written prior to 100AD.

ETA - I already know who you're going to quote, if you're even aware of them.  They've all been thoroughly discredited.

I'll give you a hint.  One of us has a doctorate in this field.  And it isnt you.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#23]
atheists sure spend a lot of time fighting against something they don't even believe in
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lol.  Cite?

Even the most critical scholars still concede that the gospels were written prior to 100AD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Cite?

You could start here and then dig as deep as you like in the bibliography:

Authorship of the Bible
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
atheists sure spend a lot of time fighting against something they don't even believe in
View Quote

Yeah, I think they doth protest too much.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah. A myth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Authorship of the Bible
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Cite?

Authorship of the Bible

Wikipedia.  Lol.

But hey, if that's the level where you're at.

You'll note that your own "source" doesn't place any of the writings after 100.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't read but a significant portion of Christian traditions come for other religions.
View Quote

It's backwards.  We see The Messiah theme throughout various religions throughout time, with a common reference to the Son of God being born in the flesh, conquering death, rising, ascending, virgin birth, defeating the attempts to kill him in infancy, etc.

It started from the first man, who is also a common theme across peoples throughout time, in reference to Adam, the Adamic race, Adamma, etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Hubpages blog, new member, week before Christmas.

Lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
So my entire world view of do unto others as you would have them do unto is wrong?  Well alrighty then, I now have no more reason to hold back any form of courtesy to those who have something I want.  From now on I will rape, pillage, and plunder all that there is in this world... .
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So my entire world view of do unto others as you would have them do unto is wrong?  Well alrighty then, I now have no more reason to hold back any form of courtesy to those who have something I want.  From now on I will rape, pillage, and plunder all that there is in this world... .
View Quote

To be fair you don't have to believe in Christianity to practice the morality you describe.  Many non-christians practice it, or some variation of it.  I find it disturbing that some people maintain they only act morally because of their belief in a cosmic reward and punishment system.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hubpages blog, new member, week before Christmas.

Lol
View Quote

And to think, my one warning was for "trolling" after asking a question about a gun.

And yet this thread will probably live on for many more pages.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#33]
14ers  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Jesus is closer to Osiris than Horus, given that they are both defined by their resurrections.

Resurrection isn't exactly an uncommon theme, nor is the sacrifice of a god.

For example, in Norse mythology Odin is "hung on a tree" (crucifixion parallel) for nine days and nine nights, a sacrifice of himself to himself, during which time he descends into Hel to seize powerful magic that he shares with humanity and the other gods.  Jesus wasn't based on Odin or vice-versa, but they are very close stories.

All religions have something they can teach us about humanity or history or the nature of consciousness.  None of them have anything remotely resembling evidence of supernatural beings.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Try as you might, ALL knees will bow.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think there are references to Jesus in non biblical writings from the time. Regardless whether you believe he was the Son of God, I think there is little question that there was a carpenter/ religious leader who was a real person
View Quote

The writings of historians Josephus and Tacitus to name a couple.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#37]
The two tenets of atheism:

1. God doesn't exist.

2. I hate Him.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#38]
in on this troll
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To be fair you don't have to believe in Christianity to practice the morality you describe.  Many non-christians practice it, or some variation of it.  I find it disturbing that some people maintain they only act morally because of their belief in a cosmic reward and punishment system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are certainly correct that many people live "moral" lives outside of Christianity.  However, if there is no point to life, what justification can be given as to why I should live "morally?"  There is none, if Christianity is a false religion based on nothing then what point is there to life?  Why does it matter what I do when I'm alive if after I die.....nothing.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not even close. The Pyramids are going on 5,000 years old. Christianity is about 2,000 years old. Even Judaism is less than 4,000 years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... I'm pretty sure Adam came before the Egyptians...

Not even close. The Pyramids are going on 5,000 years old. Christianity is about 2,000 years old. Even Judaism is less than 4,000 years old.

Adam is before the flood.  Christianity, or the Gospel of Christ, The Messiah, pre-dates the world.  It was taught to Adam, which is why the burnt offering was to be observed in anticipation of the Messiah.

The whole record of the Israelites is in anticipation of the Messiah, or Savior, who promised his Atonement to Adam after the fall from the Garden of Eden.  The idea that first there were these Jews, then came along this guy names Jesus, and introduced his own religion in 30-33 A.D. is a secular perspective of history, ignorant of what the Jews actually had been taught by their forefathers and prophets dating back from the beginning of known recorded history, when Abraham left Ur of the Chaldees and went to Canaan.  There are records that pre-date those times as well, handed down, and most of those books were never included in what people now know as the Bible.

Genesis, or DAS ERSTE BUCH MOSE "The First Book of Moses" in the German Bible, is a late synopsis summarized by the prophet Moses, who was a real person that led the Children of Israel out of captivity from Egypt and back into the land of Canaan/Palestine (Philistine).  There were numerous original source works that Moses had that became the 5 Books of Moses, known today by their Latin/Roman Empire misnomers: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your belief in god is all that keeps you from being a major fuck up I sure am glad you believe.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your belief in god is all that keeps you from being a major fuck up I sure am glad you believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine if all the true believers took up wild living as a default lifestyle.

Society would be doomed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#43]
There's more historical evidence of Jesus' s historical existence than Julius Caesar. Just a question of whether you believe he was bats*** insane or the Son of God.

Only the most fringe scholars even try to argue anymore that he never existed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are certainly correct that many people live "moral" lives outside of Christianity.  However, if there is no point to life, what justification can be given as to why I should live "morally?"  There is none, if Christianity is a false religion based on nothing then what point is there to life?  Why does it matter what I do when I'm alive if after I die.....nothing.....
View Quote

As an atheist, I am sorry to hear you feel that way.  

The point of your life is whatever you want it to be.  Find satisfaction and motivation wherever you can.  Enjoy the life you have.

As to why not rob and murder and steal, if you aren't human enough to see why that's unethical, consider self-interest.  If robbing and murdering were A-OK, it would only be a matter of time before someone more highspeed or sneaky than you murders you and takes your stuff.  Or the highspeed or sneaky relatives of your victims string you up.

There is nothing waiting on the other side, it's just darkness howling at the door.  Every moment is precious, and every day should be lived as if it's your last.  Don't leave anything unsettled between people you care about, and don't take anything or anyone for granted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Society would be doomed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Society would be doomed.

Most countries that have the highest percentage of "believers" are doomed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

in on this troll
View Quote
One could argue that God is the ultimate troll.

He made us with foreskins and then commands we chop it off? What kind of shit is that?

Kill your son Abraham! Oh wait, I was just joking lol.

Eta....let's not forget the 4,000 year old grudge over a fucking apple.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He made us with foreskins and then commands we chop it off? What kind of shit is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in on this troll

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The point of your life is whatever you want it to be.  Find satisfaction and motivation wherever you can.  Enjoy the life you have.

As to why not rob and murder and steal, if you aren't human enough to see why that's unethical, consider self-interest.  If robbing and murdering were A-OK, it would only be a matter of time before someone more highspeed or sneaky than you murders you and takes your stuff.  Or the highspeed or sneaky relatives of your victims string you up.

There is nothing waiting on the other side, it's just darkness howling at the door.  Every moment is precious, and every day should be lived as if it's your last.  Don't leave anything unsettled between people you care about, and don't take anything or anyone for granted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think his point is that, if all that awaits us is nothingness, it doesn't matter if you're the greatest man ever or Hitler, both die and know nothing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ye. I'm pretty sure that most mainstream historical scholars accept that the Jesus of the Bible was an actual person.

However, I don't doubt that the fantastical miracles attributed to him may have been borrowed from previous religious traditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ye. I'm pretty sure that most mainstream historical scholars accept that the Jesus of the Bible was an actual person.

However, I don't doubt that the fantastical miracles attributed to him may have been borrowed from previous religious traditions.

This. There probably was a 100% real and very charismatic philosopher/teacher/carpenter/rabble-rouser who eventually stirred up up too much trouble and the Romans and/or Jewish authorities killed him.

His following persisted after his execution, but eventually "Oh yeah, Jesus was amazing, he was caught and executed, but still you should join us. His parable about mustard seed changed my life" wasn't enough to convince newbies to embrace his philosophy. As timed went on and the people who actually knew him first hand died out, his followers started adding in more mythological and supernatural aspects and well-known tall tales. Critical thinking based on hard science wasn't really a big part of life for the have-nots of society in the 1st century. "You ever heard about that old prophesy that a virgin would give birth to a God? Yeah, I think I heard Jesus was born to a virgin!"
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top