Page / 10
Posted: 12/19/2014 10:42:36 PM EDT

Jesus was Horus a myth from ancient Egyptian folklore, what say GD? Link

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I say..

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did the Egyptians learn this triune understanding from?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You think humans would just make up gods and stuff?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not Jesus...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If Jesus wasn't real, why would he be showing up all the time on tree stumps and toast and such?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't heard that one, but I have heard that the Jewish God is or was inspired by Amun-Ra. That one kinda makes sense I guess. The timelines work.

Jesus as Horus doesn't quite work out though, timeline-wise.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Zeitgeist? That's the movie that claims 9/11 was an inside job right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't heard that one, but I have heard that the Jewish God is or was inspired by Amun-Ra. That one kinda makes sense I guess. The timelines work.

View Quote

There saying that's where the story of Jesus originated from, and both story's are the same.  It appears to be a copy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a Jack Chick meme that Catholicism is recycled Horus worship, with Mary taking the place of Isis.  In their fruit-cake blatherings IHS is actually Isis, Horus and some other Egyptian deity.

Seth, that's the S.

Jack Chick link.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Backwards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know about GD, but I say obvious troll is obvious.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You think humans would just make up gods and stuff?
View Quote

That's just crazy talk.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a good example for others who share your hatred of punctuation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Since we are discussing Jesus,

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think there are references to Jesus in non biblical writings from the time. Regardless whether you believe he was the Son of God, I think there is little question that there was a carpenter/ religious leader who was a real person
View Quote

Most likely. Hell, even I know a few carpenters named Jesus down at the Home Depot parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There saying that's where the story of Jesus originated from, and both story's are the same.  It appears to be a copy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or an archetype in the collective unconscious, as Jung wrote about over a century ago. He might have even specifically compared Christ and Horus, I'd have to double check.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think there are references to Jesus in non biblical writings from the time. Regardless whether you believe he was the Son of God, I think there is little question that there was a carpenter/ religious leader who was a real person
View Quote

There is zero doubt about that.
The Romans killed him judicially and eventually became christians
They had plenty of good records at the time that we don't have would be my guess
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Regardless of your beliefs, you cannot deny his existence.  It is just whether you believed he was the Son of God or just some guy who claimed to be and was put to death for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Adam and his family were taught about the coming of The Redeemer, from which time the blood sacrifice and offering began as a foreshadowing of the Messiah.

I'm pretty sure Adam came before the Egyptians.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#22]

If you have a few months to,spare, read the fall and decline by Gibbon.
His rundown on early christianity and related matters is eye opening for most modern people
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
If memory serves he was mentioned as the founder of the Christians in letters traded between Pliny the Younger and the Emperor Trajan, when Pliny

became Governor of Bithynia.  Also mentioned as such by Celsus, IIRC.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even some biblical scholars and historians that don't believe he was god, believe he existed.  There was a man named Jesus.  

The creator of the movie Zeitgeist, Peter Joseph, made it as a kind of performance art piece.  Even he has admitted it wasn't meant to be taken as a literal documentary.  Just an "art" piece that was designed to make you think.  

There's a video floating around of his original performance in San Francisco but I can't find it.  Here is another video of the guy doing his performance art.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Can we call him Jose?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't read but a significant portion of Christian traditions come for other religions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can we call him Jose?
View Quote

It's pronounced "Hey Zues". Like in that Die Hard movie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ye. I'm pretty sure that most mainstream historical scholars accept that the Jesus of the Bible was an actual person.

However, I don't doubt that the fantastical miracles attributed to him may have been borrowed from previous religious traditions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If Jesus wasn't real, why would he be showing up all the time on tree stumps and toast and such?
View Quote

Thats not Jesus.  Thats Ted Nugent.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Didn't read but a significant portion of Christian traditions come for other religions.
View Quote

A lot of traditions did, but those came after Christ.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

... I'm pretty sure Adam came before the Egyptians...
View Quote

Not even close. The Pyramids are going on 5,000 years old. Christianity is about 2,000 years old. Even Judaism is less than 4,000 years old.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm an atheist, and even I believe that there is enough credible evidence to believe in there being a man named Jesus who lived sometime around the first century AD and led a religious movement.  Zeitgeist's assertions are based on the work of Acharya S. (the nom de plum of Dorothy Murdock).  Her work is simply an amalgamation of the work of Gerald Massey, Kersey Graves, and Godfrey Higgins.  These three are 'scholars' from the 18th/19th Century, who played around at being archeologists, and generally did not have the education or qualifications to do so.  They do not cite any actual sources for their assertions about Horus or the gods of other religions whom they try to draw parallels to - they just make shit up and expect you to take their word for it.  Dorothy Murdock certainly did, because those three make up the majority of cited sources for her work for Zeitgeist, and their lack of primary sources make all of her citing entirely irrelevant.  It's all made up nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even some biblical scholars and historians that don't believe he was god, believe he existed.  There was a man named Jesus.

View Quote

I'm one of those who don't believe he was god, but it is very likely he existed.  But like much from that period of history, details are sketchy and prone to embellishment, especially for someone who didn't turn out to be relevant historically until well after his time.  I mean, we have no record of the early lives of major Roman Emperors, who were famous and important to the entire known world in their lifetime, it is very unlikely we would have a lot of accurate details about a poor carpenter, who didn't have a global impact until well after he had died.

If people want to believe and have faith and all, that's fine, I don't begrudge them that, but it is highly probable that many of the details about his life were added after the fact, and very likely borrowed from other previous religions, or even that the Jesus we know today was actually an amalgam of several real people and/or mythical people.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Gerald Massey, Alvin Boyd Kuhn, and Tom Harpur

Three people I won't have to meet in heaven.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most historians agree with that, although there isn't much documentation.

Interesting aside: there were a bunch of messiahs running around at that time. It was sort of a "thing".
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Gods from the Skies, not of this world.

that literally means "extraterrestrial"

jus sayin'
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I recall that In the book "The Hiram Key" the authors make the claim that the romans had posted "Wanted" signs with a sketch of Jesus prior to his arrest.  Apparently some of these artifacts existed for some time/years after the crucifixion.
People who argue or dispute his divinity usually miss the most import parts of his message, probably because they want to live a life without worries of consequence, for good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#41]
There are non biblical references to Che Guevara too, doesn't mean he is God.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, there is decent evidence for the existence for a historical Jesus.  Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews written around A.D. 90 speaks of him.   Tacitus writes of a Christus who was executed by Pontius Pilate in his Annals written around 110 A.D.

Of course, these sources only attest to the existence of a person meeting the description of Jesus and can not (and do not) attest to any claims of divinity.  And it is possible that the story of this historical Jesus was remodeled on the basis of Horus, though it would have had to have occurred over a fairly short period of time as you get several gospels written within about 30 years of the putative time of his death that broadly agree.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Yep. Almost Christmas. Time for the douchebags to come out of the woodwork with their "theories."

Oh well, in another week we'll be good until Easter.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep. Almost Christmas. Time for the douchebags to come out of the woodwork with their "theories."

Oh well, in another week we'll be good until Easter.

View Quote

Boom; headshot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#45]

I don't believe in satan either but the symbol shown is Pagan.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Op's been watching too much zeitgeist on youtube.

I'll play,  planes did not take down the trade center buildings!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#47]
saw this in the rip off report.....sources copied from the B-I-B-L-E
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't believe in satan either, but the symbol shown is Pagan.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608023500991105775&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The inverted star is a well known symbol for Satan.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Actually, it all goes back a long way in time, in a moment of fundamental change in human society, i.e. the agricultural revolution.

Given the crucial importance of successful crops for the survival of the tribe, human and animal sacrifices were performed to placate the gods and the blood of the sacrificial offerings were spilled across the fields. These sacrifices had to be of high value and were chosen as symbols of purity and innocence - like little lambs [or children] - in order to be deemed worthy by the gods.

Over time the sacrifices gained in importance and were accorded special honors, bordering on sacred status of divinity. As the crops grew and nature renewed itself, people came to see this as the rebirth of the sacrificial victim [now accorded godlike status] whose blood had fertilized the field. When the bountiful harvest came and the life of the tribe was secured, people organized big parties in which they baked bread from the first harvest now concieved to symbolize the body and blood of the sacrificial god who gave his life so that the tribe could be saved from starvation death.

It is an idea that survives even in our time as the body and blood of a god who sacrificed himself to save his people is consumed by his believers

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, there is decent evidence for the existence for a historical Jesus.  Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews written around A.D. 90 speaks of him.   Tacitus writes of a Christus who was executed by Pontius Pilate in his Annals written around 110 A.D.

Of course, these sources only attest to the existence of a person meeting the description of Jesus and can not (and do not) attest to any claims of divinity...
View Quote

Odd that they didn't mention his superpowers. If a modern homeless guy raised the dead in front of crowds, broke the laws of physics, and was tried for treason and executed by the federal government, people would notice and future historians would have at least a handful of primary sources.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top