Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 10:41:18 PM EDT

I though ticks hibernated in the winter...

" />

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
What state?

It takes a hard freeze and some snow to even get them to slow down up here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are you?
View Quote

Pittsburgh PA

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite is when you go to skin out a deer well after the cold weather starts and they start jumping ship and landing on your head, neck and arms.

Really special.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Havent seen any up here (Just east of Pittsburgh) for a few weeks even on the tick magnet. But we did just have a few days of high fifty degree weather despite the rain so.....its been colder and a little snow up here in the hills so maybe the ticks here are done till spring.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The only tick I ever got was when I was crossing a wet meadow in the mountains in a snowstorm in May.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
One year we went out to the farm and cut a cedar for our Christmas tree.

Mom put down the sheet, we put the stand up and put up the tree.

As we were decorating it we started hearing these little "plop", "plop", "plop".

Looked down on the sheet and saw previously dormant ticks dropping off the tree and headed for the carpet.

Mom freaked and got the vacuum cleaner, Dad dragged the tree out and we went to a tree lot and got a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Look at those Shop n Save perks!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
They do hibernate during winter, in all of your hard to reach places...  

Seems like the only time I get them is in the winter. I hate ticks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Not in FL.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol. You know how I know you're not a deer hunter?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
^--Never gotten a tick in the winter.

Now the early spring is a different story..
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
They're out before the Mosquitoes.....

Anything above 32 degrees, expect them.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
So glad we don't have ticks here, that shit would drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't let you dog go where there are lots of leaves on the ground in winter. Ticks hide among them. All it takes is some heat from the winter sun to stir them enough to hook onto your dog if it passes through them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Ticks are done here since september.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My favorite is when you go to skin out a deer well after the cold weather starts and they start jumping ship and landing on your head, neck and arms.

Really special.
View Quote

Jumping ticks huh...
I've never heard of those kind-

How ticks find their hosts:

Ticks find their hosts by detecting animals´ breath and body odors, or by sensing body heat, moisture, and vibrations. Some species can even recognize a shadow. In addition, ticks pick a place to wait by identifying well-used paths.
Then they wait for a host, resting on the tips of grasses and shrubs. Ticks can't fly or jump, but many tick species wait in a position known as "questing".

CDC

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jumping ticks huh...

Ticks find their hosts by detecting animals´ breath and body odors, or by sensing body heat, moisture, and vibrations. Some species can even recognize a shadow. In addition, ticks pick a place to wait by identifying well-used paths.
Then they wait for a host, resting on the tips of grasses and shrubs. Ticks can't fly or jump, but many tick species wait in a position known as "questing".

CDC

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really special.

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

They don't literally jump.

As you pull the skin from the hind quarters down the back the ticks detach and land right on you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really special.

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

Well they "quested" the fuck out of my dog two winters ago when it decided it would be a good idea to play in a pile of leaves.

Last winter really seemed to have worked on them though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't let you dog go where there are lots of leaves on the ground in winter. Ticks hide among them. All it takes is some heat from the winter sun to stir them enough to hook onto your dog if it passes through them.
View Quote

Yes, sir.  Those that know say it takes several days at 10 below to kill off ticks.  I've seen them on a warm Feb day having a party.

The old-timers said they set the mountains on fire every Feb and they never had ticks and chiggers (just like the indians did before them).  No brush or fodder left, and it helped green-up time.  Of course, we can't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really special.

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

Your logic makes absolute sense but I swear I have gotten those bastards before where only jumping or falling out of a tree made sense.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#22]
None of those (or fleas) here, anytime. Still have skeeters from May-September though.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Got one in the blue ridge mtns in January few years ago.  Many freezes but they survive.  Fuckers.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#24]
TIcks can ruin your life. I had one family member get lyme disease and almost die. Now I know several people including a member of my household that have this bullshit.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/02/red-meat-allergies-likely-result-of-lone-star-tick/

It sucks for them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I got Rocky Mtn Spotted fever awhile back.  I didn't die, but at the time wished I would.

There's like 11 different tick sicknesses you can get.

It sucks (heh), but if you're constantly scanning your britches for them, you'll never get any work done, especially in the timber.  Pull em off at the end of the day in the shower.  Treat the hounds with Frontline.  You can treat yourself with some Permethrin, but it may take a little hide off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Sawyer makes a permathrin treatment for your field clothes, lasts 6 weeks, supposedly you can run it through the washing machine a few times...
I have it here, but haven't used it, so I really cant vouch for its effectiveness. Pretty sure Cabelas carries it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Nope...got em all year long....the dreaded Southern Ice storm didn't kill em all
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
It's not easy fighting those little bastards.  But here is my tick management process.  It doesn't guaranty the I won't get a tick.  But it seems to help some.  

When I go in the woods, I have my socks pulled up over my base layer, then I tie my pant legs tight over my boots. I wear top layers with elastic wrists.  I wear gloves. I wear a face mask tight around my neck.  My jacket is zipped up, and I wear a hat.  

When I get home, I undress in the attached garage, throw my clothes in the washer, and head upstairs to take a shower right away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's not easy fighting those little bastards.  But here is my tick management process.  It doesn't guaranty the I won't get a tick.  But it seems to help some.  

When I go in the woods, I have my socks pulled up over my base layer, then I tie my pant legs tight over my boots. I wear top layers with elastic wrists.  I wear gloves. I wear a face mask tight around my neck.  My jacket is zipped up, and I wear a hat.  

When I get home, I undress in the attached garage, throw my clothes in the washer, and head upstairs to take a shower right away.
View Quote

You forgot the DEET.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sawyer makes a permathrin treatment for your field clothes, lasts 6 weeks, supposedly you can run it through the washing machine a few times...
I have it here, but haven't used it, so I really cant vouch for its effectiveness. Pretty sure Cabelas carries it.
View Quote

Permathrin works like a charm here in Missouri. I have used it on my sleeping bags and hunting clothes. The stuff that was good for six weeks or six washes, which ever comes first. Each time you wash your clothes, it gets a little bit weaker despite the fact that the label says its still ok. That's not to say that it no longer worked, it just became a little less effective with each wash.

I rarely saw any ticks on my clothes or body when I used permathrin. When I did find the odd tick here or there, it was obvious that the bug was slowly dieing. That suff makes the ticks have seizures, or something. It's pretty freaky. Mosquitos hate it, too. It's well worth the money.

Be adivsed, that stuff kills somewhere around 70 different species of animal and insect. It kills fish, invertabrets, and it can do some serious damage to cats, too. As far as I know, it has no serious effect on most humans, and it didn't seem to bother the dogs, even when they slept on a permathrin soaked blanket for months on end.

Aparently, that Frontline flea and tick stuff doesn't work around these parts anymore. From what I've heard, the ticks and fleas out towards the middle Missouri area have developed some kind of immunity to that stuff. I was NOT happy when I learned that the hard way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Long johns makes it a nonissue, and ticks really are not that bad in winter.  But by spring/summer in these latitudes, you're at bigger risk falling out from all those clothes on than to a tick.  By June, the best defense is a Mississippi Tank Top (overalls no shirt).  And I'm not shitting you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not in FL.
View Quote

gotten them in south fl, just cannot remember what time of year it was.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So glad we don't have ticks here, that shit would drive me nuts.
View Quote

umm washington state has ticks... pulled one from my bicep back in august..
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:26:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not in FL.

Not sure if smartass
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your logic makes absolute sense but I swear I have gotten those bastards before where only jumping or falling out of a tree made sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really special.

Jumping ticks huh...

CDC

I'll admit that I used to think they jumped off trees or branches too-
I hate the little fuckers.... I'd never even heard of them or saw one in Maine (or anywhere else) until around 1999-2000.
They weren't ever around here growing up as a kid and so they were never something we ever thought of or worried about.

Just did a quick search and found this info that I didn't know either...gross little bastards!

Ticks and spiders are in the same class- All ticks have four life cycle stages. Adult ticks, produce eggs. A female tick can produce up to 20,000 eggs. Mating usually occurs on a host, after which the female must have a blood meal in order for the eggs to develop. Ixodid ticks are unusual in that mating does not occur on the host. The eggs are laid in the soil or leaf litter after the female drops off the host. These eggs hatch into a stage known as the larva. The larva is the smallest stage and can be recognized by having only 3 pairs of legs. These "seed ticks" are produced in great numbers. They must find a host and take a blood meal in order to molt to the next stage called the nymph. If the nymph can feed on a host, it will develop into the adult tick. Ticks vary greatly in how long this cycle takes and the number of hosts involved. Some ticks are one host ticks; the entire cycle occurs on that one host. Others use two hosts, some three and some of the soft ticks are multi-host ticks. Ticks require high humidity and moderate temperature. Juvenile ticks usually live in the soil or at ground level. They will then climb up onto a blade of grass or the leaf of a plant to await a potential host. They will sense the presence of a host and begin the questing behavior, standing up and waving their front legs. They are able to sense a vibration, a shadow, a change in CO2 level, or temperature change. When unsuccessful in their "quest" they become dehydrated and will climb back down the plant to the ground to become rehydrated. Then back up the plant, etc., until they are successful or they die. Some ticks have been known to live for over 20 years and they can live for a very long time without food. Their favored habitat is old field-forest eco-zone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just read this as well, which I didn't know...

Simply washing clothes will not kill ticks. After being outdoors, people should run their clothes through a dryer at high temperature for a half hour.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I like to get the big ones and pull all the legs off one side, then watch them crawl around in circles on the porch before they get skewered with the knife.  Or, drop them in the commode and put a square of toilet paper over them to drown.  If you don't do this they will just crawl out.  Of course, you can flush, but out here in the sticks we prefer to conserve water.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I just pulled one off my dog last night, I live in south Central PA, near the MD state line.  I always thought ticks hibernated in the winter.  I'll be heading off to stock up on flea and tick repellant, I usually don't apply it to my dogs in the winter, now I know better.  Good information here on winter tick activity.  http://www.tickencounter.org/news/does_killing_frost_kill_deer_ticks
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pittsburgh PA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you?

Pittsburgh PA

Damn!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Another good source from the University of Rhode Island biteology
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there any effective lawn  treatment?   I asked trugreen company they didn't have any.

Regards
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I've gotten them on me in the woods before during winter, though rare.  I would say anytime it gets above 40 degrees they can become active.  
Apparently man still has a lot to learn about ticks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not sure if smartass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not in FL.

Not sure if smartass

My dogs get ticks all the time. I'm in broward county, just north of miami. All year. I assume it's mostly from the pet goats my neighbors have.

I spray the yard once or twice a year depending on the amount I find on the dogs. Don't care for Frontline, but if it gets bad, I treat them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Permethrin is your friend. I treat all my hiking gear with it. No ticks, chiggers, or skeeters.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does work, although it does smell.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top