Time.

It's a construction site (I am an electrician) and not sure how
I feel about this. I totally get once we pass the security gate and
Our tool bags being searched, but to randomly pick out my truck
Or anyone else's is a bit extreme to me. Invasion of privacy and
All that. If the police technically have to have a warrant or PC
What gives them the right?

How does the hive feel about vehicle search at work

My personal bitch is "no weapons" beyond the gate.
So I have a nice hiding spot for my conceal carry weapon
Inside my truck. Which is NOT beyond the gate (where security sits)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Their business their rules, by taking the job you are agreeing to this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  My work has the same rules.  I park across the street.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quit the job, OP.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas has a parking lot law, employers cannot prohibit carry in your car.  It took years to get it because USAA fought hard to keep it from passing according to the TSRA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The Land of the Free.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The Constitution protects you from the government, not your employer. (allegedly)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]

I'd tell em to pound sand.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I would buy a good gun safe and bolt it in a hidden spot and store your firearm in it..if they find it and want it opened..tell em to pound sand..you let them search the vehicle as required..the lock box isn't the vehicle....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked in research labs and hospitals for nearly 20 years, and all had this policy. However, I never heard of a single case of a vehicle being searched. I highly doubt they randomly pick out vehicles to search. I suspect this policy is to give the employer a tool to use in case of suspected employee theft (of drugs, computer equipment, microscopes, digital cameras, etc).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I know, their job, their rules. But this is the 1st I have ever dealt with that
Went out of their way to stress this. As far as theft, there is nothing of
The company to steal. Just typical construction/trade shit. So wire, power
Tools. Which is pretty damn hard to steal without someone noticing.

I am just one of those guys that my damn truck is my truck and if you want
To search my shit, you better get a warrant or have PC to search.
And unless your a cop, you can take that PC and stick it up your ass.

Just bugs the shit out of me , just as bad as a credit check for new hire
Because if you have bad credit, you might be a thief.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Texas has a parking lot law, employers cannot prohibit carry in your car.  It took years to get it because USAA fought hard to keep it from passing according to the TSRA.
View Quote

They CAN prohibit you from working for them, though.  Legal rights have nothing to do with company policy.

Their workplace, their rules.  By agreeing to work for said company, the employee/contractor is agreeing to their policy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd, probably, put up with a screen/search of person; depending on what the job was.  Pretty sure I'd tell them to pound sand on vehicle, though.  And, then find work, elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know, their job, their rules. But this is the 1st I have ever felt with that

View Quote

As they point and say "there's the gate".
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I worked in research labs and hospitals for nearly 20 years, and all had this policy. However, I never heard of a single case of a vehicle being searched. I highly doubt they randomly pick out vehicles to search. I suspect this policy is to give the employer a tool to use in case of suspected employee theft (of drugs, computer equipment, microscopes, digital cameras, work product, etc).
View Quote

Probably/maybe FIFY.

I wouldn't worry about it OP.  It sucks in principle, but in the end, what are the ramifications?  Get kicked off the site?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Do they actually do the random searches?  Chances are, they say that, but won't really devote manpower to it unless their hand is forced.

Keep in mind, some campuses of the type where you're working, are now under federal authority, due to chemical storage.  My understanding is that this may preempt state law, and carry stiffer penalties.

I've worked on sites like that, and DGAF.  Never have I seen anyone busted because of it, either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok.

Roll with it.   If they try to search you, refuse.   You lose your job and go find another.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know if they actually would do it, but did point out the fact they CAN
Search your vehicle and bag at any time. Again, tool bags I get.
And we all had to get security clearance before we started, because the
CDC is involved with this pharmaceutical company research and development center
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
About 30 years ago I was walking out of work and a security guard said he wanted to look in my lunch box. I opened it to show him and then I threw it in the snow bank in front of the guard house. I told him to feel free to look in it any time he wanted. Their job site their rules.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok.

Roll with it.   If they try to search you, refuse.   You lose your job and go find another.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

This.

My employer has the same rules. I lock my truck, they would have to illegally break and enter to search it. If they wanted to search it, my employment with the company is probably over anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a cheap bike, throw it in your truck, drive to nearby. "Bike" to work from there.

"Sure, search my bike!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Same thing where I am currently working. Want to search my vehicle? LOL. I carry anyway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are exceptions to this... Federal property for one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I have worked at the same facility for 30 years and there are signs that indicate the same thing. Never once have I ever heard of it happening.

And if you are not parked in a secured area (fenced in owned by employer) then I can't see how they can do squat. Sure they may have the right to search you or your bag or whatever when you leave the secured area but not a vehicle that is accessible to the public in a non secured area.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Have the same thing at my job, when i asked about it i was told that in 30 odd years they have only searched one car and that was because the guy was stealing parts and selling them. otherwise they dont care about what you have in your POV.
I know some supervisors that have trunkfull of booze (they are sober and dont drink at work) and most of the people i work with carry and leave it in the car.

Like others have said they use it if they think you are stealing or doing other bad things
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#28]
You have the right not to work there
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i am working on a medical research facility and today was
Orientation. We have security on site, and one of the things
That came up was our vehicles are subject to search at any
Time.
View Quote

Is the parking lot outside the gate their private property or a public area?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
"(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135."

You need to read O.C.G.A. § 16-11-135 and see if your employer meets any of the exemptions in part (d). The Georgia Department of Homeland Security website is currently broken, so good luck determining your employer's status without contacting a lawyer or the state via snail mail. If they don't qualify for any of the exemptions, your proper course of action would be to sue them for violating 16-11-135, then quit and find a new job at a company you didn't have to sue since the current one is going to hate you afterwards.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#30]
No different than my house or yours. I allow CC of course. If drinks are served I ask that the pistols go on top of the hutch.

You see a row of pistol butts poking out. Guests who show up later who aren't carrying are often rather curious.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I worked in the nuclear field for 6 years. After getting to know the guards and talking about the whole vehicle search policy I decided to bring my handgun with me and lock it in my jeep. Not once in six years was my jeep ever search, and from casual conversation with plant personal , and guards it became quiet clear that many folks did the same... There rules there policy dose not trump my life my safety..
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I work at a military ammunition plant and they have the same search rules. I have never seen a car get searched once it is passed the initial gate. Like everybody else has said, their site their rules.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

About 30 years ago I was walking out of work and a security guard said he wanted to look in my lunch box. I opened it to show him and then I threw it in the snow bank in front of the guard house. I told him to feel free to look in it any time he wanted. Their job site their rules.
View Quote

30 years ago you could walk a half a block down the street and have another job within an hour.  That ain't the case today and employers know it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I worked in research labs and hospitals for nearly 20 years, and all had this policy. However, I never heard of a single case of a vehicle being searched. I highly doubt they randomly pick out vehicles to search. I suspect this policy is to give the employer a tool to use in case of suspected employee theft (of drugs, computer equipment, microscopes, digital cameras, etc).
View Quote

Same. We are subject to search as well and in my time there so far, the only persons I have heard of getting busted was a food service supervisor taking 2 liters of pop home and a housekeeper taking a bunch of garbage bags. The security where I work are typically sucking up to the ER cops hoping to get into law enforcement, sleeping, or messing around on their phones so not much really gets stopped if their is anything untoward going on.

But technically I can have my locker or vehicle searched and can be forced to take a pee test at any time under my contract.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Private businesses should be able to trespass you at any time for any reason.

You still have the right to refuse those searches but they have the right to shit can you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I know, their job, their rules. But this is the 1st I have ever dealt with that

View Quote

Welcome to the working world. Companies do what they do because they have been fucked over many times.
Bad credit can be a good indicator of bad decision making skills.
Searching vehicles at random prevents theft because people don't want to get snatched up.
Drug tests to start working because if you can't pass one you are a retard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You still have the right to refuse those searches but they have the right to shit can you.
View Quote

Actually they don't under Georgia law unless they are exempted.

"(a) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of allowing such employer or its agents to search the locked privately owned vehicles of employees or invited guests on the employer's parking lot and access thereto.

(b) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee's privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia weapons carry license."
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do contract ndt, and am not in the same facility for more then 2 weeks....  I know the drill, you take the job and agree to their rules period. If you don't like the site , don't go to work their it's pretty simple really.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty simple. If they ask you for the keys to do a search, quit. If they break and enter your vehicle, call the police.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"(a) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of allowing such employer or its agents to search the locked privately owned vehicles of employees or invited guests on the employer's parking lot and access thereto.

(b) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee's privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia weapons carry license."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Key word there was should.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Sure you could always decline a search if they ever singled you out.

Of course that means you'd lose your job.

It's your call in that situation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I got lucky. My employer recently changed the weapons policy to explicitly allow employees to keep a firearm in their car (must be out of sight and vehicle always locked).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I do it more than you think...usually I have a reason.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The law is anti-private property rights, but it doesn't matter since Texas already has anti gun laws to add to all the Federal ones. Yay "free" state
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got lucky. My employer recently changed the weapons policy to explicitly allow employees to keep a firearm in their car (must be out of sight and vehicle always locked).
View Quote

In Illinois
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
i am working on a medical research facility and today was
Orientation. We have security on site, and one of the things
That came up was our vehicles are subject to search at any
Time.

It's a construction site (I am an electrician) and not sure how
I feel about this. I totally get once we pass the security gate and
Our tool bags being searched, but to randomly pick out my truck
Or anyone else's is a bit extreme to me. Invasion of privacy and
All that. If the police technically have to have a warrant or PC
What gives them the right?

How does the hive feel about vehicle search at work

My personal bitch is "no weapons" beyond the gate.
So I have a nice hiding spot for my conceal carry weapon
Inside my truck. Which is NOT beyond the gate (where security sits)
View Quote

Your consent.  

They don't have the right to force the search; but likewise they have no obligation to employ you either.  Taking the job is a "their house, their rules" deal.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In Illinois
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Illinois

Yep! I know other people whose employers have done the same thing since they looked over our CCW law.

However, my company also changed it for states with less recent CCW laws, such as TX, GA, and WA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In Illinois
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Illinois

Mine did, too.  And I'm also in Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And thats fine with me. not letting anyone search my vehicle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top