Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 9:03:41 PM EDT
Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the team member, Webman,...a member of the site since 2008.

His avatar is a partial image taken from the 1562 painting The Triumph of Death by the artist, Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

As you can see already, tonight's avatar carries with it more than its fair share of dark imagery, but we'll get back to that in a bit.  

Allow me first to introduce you to the artist.

This is Pieter Bruegel (the fella on the left), or at least it's what he believes that he looked like as he was the one that painted it.

He was a 16th century artist sometimes known as "Peasant Bruegel."

That's because many of his art pieces focused on the average peasant, their surroundings and their lives.

I kind of like that.  Back then, if you were the topic of an art piece, you were probably some sort of nobleman, a bigshot of sorts.

Pieter had a great interest in the everyday guy.  The reason why he was sometimes referred to as "Peasant Bruegel" was because he often chose to wear peasant clothing in order to fit in with them as he observed them.

But, let's get back to the topic at hand.  This painting that wasn't really made for the faint of heart.

It's about death...cold, heartless, indiscriminate death.  It's made up of a number of scenes, all bad for the living victims.

Death is shown as a series of skeletons chasing down, attacking and brutalizing the living.

No one is spared.  The King is seen being struck down while death ransacks his treasure of coins.

The clergy fall victims to the deathly beings as well.  Women, children - everyone is dying or on the verge of it.

One clearly distraught man appears to try to fight back - but the look on his face clearly shows that it is a futile effort.

It's hard to see all of these scenes without seeing the full size painting, but I've found a video that will give you a closer look.

Many have tried to understand the meaning behind the painting.  Some speculate that it is a nod to warfare and its destructive ability.

Though, the one that makes the most sense to me is that he is referring to disease.  During his life, he witnessed and survived two major waves of the Plague.

The deaths from the Plague would have been similar, given the indiscriminate way that Death took its victims in the painting.  

But, that's part of art, isn't it? - the interpretation.  There's one thing we can all agree on though - it's dark, very dark.

...and now you know.

Previously featured avatar: Marcushire

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what is the meaning of life?
View Quote

it's a Monty Python movie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
So that $100K on an art history degree was worth it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Things were rough back then, thank God for what we have now.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

1life

<input type="button" class="au" title="Listen to the pronunciation of 1life" style="border: 0px; cursor: pointer; height: 17px; margin: 0px 10px 4px 4px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: bottom; width: 18px; font-size: 13px; background-image: url(http://www.merriam-webster.com/styles/default/images/reference/audio-pron-hw.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat;" /> <em style="color: rgb(113, 114, 116); font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold;">noun[/span][span style='font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(232, 236, 245);'] [/span][span style= color: rgb(113, 114, 116); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; margin-left: 10px;']\[span style='font-family: 'lucida sans unicode'; font-size: 0.9em; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background: none;']'[/span]lif\[/span][span style='font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(232, 236, 245);'][/span][span style='font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(232, 236, 245);'][/span]

: the ability to grow, change, etc., that separates plants and animals from things like water or rocks

: the period of time when a person is alive

: the experience of being alive

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I love these threads. Entertaining AND educational.

Needs more grimacing tattoo girl...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, J_R. You've been on a tear lately.

Love these threads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey...and more money.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the team member, Webman,...a member of the site since 2008.

http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/152143.JPG

His avatar is a partial image taken from the 1562 painting The Triumph of Death by the artist, Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Arfcom/Death1_zps765dfbdf.jpg

As you can see already, tonight's avatar carries with it more than its fair share of dark imagery, but we'll get back to that in a bit.  

Allow me first to introduce you to the artist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Arfcom/Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_zps3635142b.jpg

This is Pieter Bruegel (the fella on the left), or at least it's what he believes that he looked like as he was the one that painted it.

He was a 16th century artist sometimes known as "Peasant Bruegel."

That's because many of his art pieces focused on the average peasant, their surroundings and their lives.

I kind of like that.  Back then, if you were the topic of an art piece, you were probably some sort of nobleman, a bigshot of sorts.

Pieter had a great interest in the everyday guy.  The reason why he was sometimes referred to as "Peasant Bruegel" was because he often chose to wear peasant clothing in order to fit in with them as he observed them.

But, let's get back to the topic at hand.  This painting that wasn't really made for the faint of heart.

It's about death...cold, heartless, indiscriminate death.  It's made up of a number of scenes, all bad for the living victims.

Death is shown as a series of skeletons chasing down, attacking and brutalizing the living.

No one is spared.  The King is seen being struck down while death ransacks his treasure of coins.

The clergy fall victims to the deathly beings as well.  Women, children - everyone is dying or on the verge of it.

One clearly distraught man appears to try to fight back - but the look on his face clearly shows that it is a futile effort.

It's hard to see all of these scenes without seeing the full size painting, but I've found a video that will give you a closer look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2itI4pMHXM

Many have tried to understand the meaning behind the painting.  Some speculate that it is a nod to warfare and its destructive ability.

Though, the one that makes the most sense to me is that he is referring to disease.  During his life, he witnessed and survived two major waves of the Plague.

The deaths from the Plague would have been similar, given the indiscriminate way that Death took its victims in the painting.  

But, that's part of art, isn't it? - the interpretation.  There's one thing we can all agree on though - it's dark, very dark.

...and now you know.

Previously featured avatar: Marcushire

View Quote

interesting song they picked for this Video.

I knew it sounded familiar - Kaisa aka Kaisaschnitt is a Rapper from Berlin

quite fitting if you asked me

http://youtu.be/xS46hSrOe8c

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't know that - neat!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Charlie Clouser - Convoy

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charlie Clouser - Convoy

Oh - double snap!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh - double snap!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charlie Clouser - Convoy

Oh - double snap!

yeah

I just wanted to comment on this

both tracks are from 2007

Kaisaschnitt - Die Geschichte vom Rasenmähermann was released in 2007 just like the movie

so who ripped it off ? My guess is Kaisaschnitt

you picked one interesting Avatar I must say

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you pull a name out of a hat for these?
Or is it not at all random?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would hazard a guess it is not at all random, and the subjects are selected based on how interesting their avatars are. For example, your avatar would never be chosen, as nearly everyone is very familiar with the movie Predator, and my avatar would not be chosen, as it is just a picture of myself.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome OP.  I really enjoy these threads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The meaning of the painting is that death comes for us all in it's time. No matter your wealth, your power, your strength or your vrtue.

We all have it coming. It's just a matter of when.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thebraiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/yl-oscar-food-cracker-jack-4_3_r560.jpg

I remember when the secret toy surprise actually had a toy in it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm disappointed I haven't been chosen for one of these threads yet.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would hazard a guess it is not at all random, and the subjects are selected based on how interesting their avatars are. For example, your avatar would never be chosen, as nearly everyone is very familiar with the movie Predator, and my avatar would not be chosen, as it is just a picture of myself.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I challenge Johnny_Reno to identify the serial number of my avatar and it's race history!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
These are pretty interesting to read about each night, and here I thought we were all savages.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Gracias
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, but I challenge Johnny_Reno to identify the serial number of my avatar and it's race history!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am no Johnny_Reno but that is one of Schumis Cars

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
When I first saw a message titled "You're Next" in my IM inbox, I though I was going to end up like one of the poor souls in the painting!  Then, I saw it was a JR thread, and was relieved.

A little bit about how I came about such an avatar:

My aunt, and uncle, were hippies.  They also were fond of medieval and Renaissance history, as well as fantasy stuff.  As I child, I would sometimes looks through their books, one of which featured a sort of history of death in art.  There were a lot of images of danse macabre, momento mori, and "Death and the Maiden" artwork.  I was fascinated by imagery, which stuck in the back of my mind.

I sort of lost interest in the books after a while, and moved on to other things.  My recollection of the artwork in the books became very hazy.  One day, maybe ten years ago, I just decided to start trying to remember what exactly was in those books by searching images on the internet.  That was when I came across the above "The Triumph of Death" painting.  The book had only a portion of the entire work in it, as best I can recall.  In particular, the skeleton on horseback was one section that I remember being in the book.  As a kid who loved horror movies, what could be cooler?

I don't get much into interpretation.  My least favorite classes in college were those that asked me to make up some argument about what an artist, poet, or author meant with their work.  How do I know?  Only the artist can say, for sure.  However, I do have some feelings about this painting, some of which may, admittedly, be completely wrong.

I don't know that it is necessarily about war, or plague, specifically.  Obviously, they caused a lot of deaths in Breugel's time, but they also waned in his lifetime.  They weren't triumphant.  

In some ways, it seem to be in-line with some of the religious depictions of death, and salvation through religion - a popular subject across many periods, including Breugel's.  We do see some people who appear to be paying for their excesses.  However, I think it is more cynical than that.  We see not only what appear to be pious men included in the carnage, but we also find the skeleton army displaying images of the cross.  Could this be a mockery of religious indulgences, the corruption of The Church, and Holy Wars, including The Inquisition?

Then, there is the simple notion of inevitability.  Momento Mori was a big part of the imagery then.  You must die.  Men and women, kings and peasants, children and elderly, the pious and the lecherous.  The hourglass - a common motif in momento mori, shows up, too.  Your time is always running, and will, one day, run out completely.  Does that make this a completely nihilistic, defeatist work of art?  Possibly, although it may have to do with coming to grips with death.  It is to be abhorred, but cannot be avoided.  

I think there is even a jab at other artists, and romantics (particularly the romantic musician, with his head in the clouds).  Looking at the lower right reveals a minstrel.  While everyone else if either succumbing to their fate, or battling (in vain) for their lives, he appears to be obliviously serenading his woman, while death joins in.

For a larger version of the painting, that you can scan around on, go to this link:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Thetriumphofdeath.jpg

I still find this painting to be fascinating.  There are so many little details, and the imagery so stark.  It really is challenging to the viewer, more so that a lot of Aesthetic, or Romantic Era art.  It is also an amazing undertaking, particularly considering the time-period.  Putting that much effort into a painting, when most people are struggling to survive, shows either serious dedication, or a bit of mental illness.

Another artist who made paintings with a similar sort of "busy", or involved composition is Hieronymus Bosch.  His paintings also included a lot of fanciful creatures, which were also featured in some of the books my aunt and uncle had at their house.  Check them out: Bosch Paintings
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Ah, Bach.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Looked at the Bosch paintings......  Not going to sleep now, they must be pure nightmare fuel lol.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#32]
^^Now that is a bad way to go.^^

With sparks and black birds shooting out of your ass.

I've never contended to be anything but a simple man with simple tastes so can someone

please explain that painting to me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've never contended to be anything but a simple man with simple tastes so can someone

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

The right panel is a hellscape and portrays the torments of damnation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top