BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never been on a sub. why do you do this ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was on a submarine.  I always wipe both ends of a phone and binoculars before using them.

I've never been on a sub. why do you do this ?

Because there are sailors aboard ships and subs.  And there is shoe polish on board those ships and subs.  And sometimes those sailors get bored.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Always saying "over" after each sentence when talking on the phone. (That took about 3 months to get rid of)
2. Riding shotgun and saying "clear right" still to this day
3. Clearing alleys when I came up near them still to this day
4. Sleep with my evil black rifle beside my bed which the wife understands
5. My head is always on a swivel when I am out of the house, I can't stand and talk to people without doing a 360 scan with my head while talking. The wife and family think it is funny and always tell me there is nobody behind me and laugh.
View Quote

I still do this. It's not something I want to "fix" though. feels like a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I don't think I gained any permanent mannerisms, just spent a month or two always feeling constantly to my left hip to make sure my pistol was there because I'd constantly verify that my pistol was locked in (6004 hood thing). Huge habit to break, always reaching over to verify the hood was locked.

That, and the "fuck, where's my m4" 3am wake-ups.
View Quote
Yeah, walking out of a restaurant and doing that..."GASP!!!!...where's my weapon!" lol

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
my attitude got worse, and i got more grumpy, and have a lot less tolerance for stupid shit these days.

im the glass on the right.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/M0OnKLt_zps5d52b351.jpg

View Quote

This.  I probably had a crappy attitude before, but now i know i do.  F'em.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Smoking
Checking g dash to see if duke system is on(wife still doesn't realize what it is when I'm looking at the dash)

Secretly being pissed off all the time

Saying fuck all the fucking time(90%) cured

General disdain for human beings Getting over it though

Normal post deployment paratrooper

Nothing alcohol can't cure

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here is one of my favorite pics of dad when he was a young man in Korea
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s47/clarinath/Family/Dadwitkoreanwomen.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait you were in Desert Storm and your dad was in Iraq in 2007? Is that supposed to be the other way around?

I know, weird huh?  Dad was in the Army in the mid 60's.  He got out after 4 years.  He joined the WI National guard around 1984.  

I joined the Army in 1989 and was sent to Germany then Desert Storm.  He never went to war.

Dad got deployed with his Guard unit in 2007.

My family is kinda like LT Dan's family in Forrest Gump.  Each male in the line served in the military in combat since the Revolution.  Dad's war was the Vietnam war but he spent his enlistment in Korea and Japan.  Mine was Desert Storm.  I don't have kids, their war would have been the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

Dad took up the slack and got his war in 2007.

Damn, that is crazy.

Here is one of my favorite pics of dad when he was a young man in Korea
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s47/clarinath/Family/Dadwitkoreanwomen.jpg

Wow what an interesting story. Do you have any pics of your dads Iraq deployment?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I still do this. It's not something I want to "fix" though. feels like a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Always saying "over" after each sentence when talking on the phone. (That took about 3 months to get rid of)

2. Riding shotgun and saying "clear right" still to this day

3. Clearing alleys when I came up near them still to this day

4. Sleep with my evil black rifle beside my bed which the wife understands

5. My head is always on a swivel when I am out of the house, I can't stand and talk to people without doing a 360 scan with my head while talking. The wife and family think it is funny and always tell me there is nobody behind me and laugh.

This is good, it when you don't even care anymore, then you should worry.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mitral valve prolapse
View Quote

Dammit hit quote instead of edit
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Driving under overpasses.  Wish I had a turret in the family vehicles.

Everything else mentioned in here I had pretty much accumulated early on, but I spent a year in Korea from 1996-1997, and deployed to several other places before 9/11 as well.

I forgot how well I knew how to throw a GI style cot together until I started using them again recently when camping out at ranges and Boy Scout trips.

I learned a lot of techniques on how to keep insects off me in JOTC down in Panama, which I later used in the Middle East as well.  I didn't expect mosquitoes to be in the Persian Gulf, but they have them there too.

The Arctic has taught me even more about how to keep insects off, as they make Panama look like Disney Land when it comes to mosquitoes.  I just wear a mesh insect jacket with hood now.

Probably the most regular habit I have had since Ft. Benning is using foot powder in my socks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Always look up when I drive under an overpass. Don't like crowded places, specially malls. I hate broken down cars on the side of the highway, really gets me jumpy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Great meal mom

Can you please pass the fucking potatoes

I never deployed to a two way rifle range but it's funny how much of what's posted here I still do.  And I ETS'd in 1986.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been walking around with my zipper down since I got back from over there.

I never buttoned my pants so I wouldn't need to fuck with buttons with gloves on when I had to piss.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Diet Pepsi, swear to God. Among other actual habits that have been mentioned, I picked up a taste for diet f'ing Pepsi. I hated diet soda my whole life until i lived in the middle of nowhere iraq for like 3 months with nothing but water. The KBR trucker who ran weekly fuel supply to the base drank diet Pepsi and always brought us a case from chow halls back on base. Got so used to it that I now prefer the taste and actually can't stand regular soda at all.

This was like 6 years ago and still true. The other crap; debris in road, anxiety driving, etc kinda wore off relatively quick.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Turning my shoes upside down before putting them on.
Backing into parking spots.
View Quote

Neither of these are a bad habit to have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smoking Checking g dash to see if duke system is on(wife still doesn't realize what it is when I'm looking at the dash)
Secretly being pissed off all the time
Saying fuck all the fucking time(90%) cured
General disdain for human beings Getting over it though

Normal post deployment paratrooper

Nothing alcohol can't cure

View Quote

Haha.

Any time we go somewhere with lots of people around my wife is constantly asking me what's wrong.

She says I have a scowl on my face and I need to at least look like I'm having a good time.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Got back from my last trip in 09, so the driving has cleared up some, but I still find myself hugging the center of the road.

Unfortunately, some shit has stayed

Hate crowds
Hate loud people (deployment/field related.  You always had those 2 or 3 guys in the platoon that had to talk at the top of their voices everyfuckingwhere)
Fuck and shit are pauses, verbs, and adjectives
Always armed, M4 next to the bed
I piss outside a lot
No more tact with stupid people

Good habits:
Always have an extra hydration source in my vehicles, even if I just bought a drink
No tolerance for lateness when leaving (for some reason I caught shit every time we had to wait on the E6 dismount squad leader on QRF, even though my Brads and his squad were loaded)
I PMCS everything I own that can break
Extra Batteries in the house, even though they're just for flashlights now.
Super-sensitive situational awareness
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Irritable bowel syndrome, basically, getting the shits every month or so.

I usually buy 2 or 3 items even though I only need 1.  It doesn't matter what it is, I always feel like there won't be a chance to get another.

Really dislike crowds even more.

Leaving room to maneuver when I stop at a light.

That feeling you get when you realize you are missing your rifle . . . . . happens every now and again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck it attitude, fuck people attitude. Extremely low tolerance for bullshit and whining. Cannot stand crowds and loud music. There is alot more I'll update later
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mitral...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Microvalve prolapse
Mitral...  

He got you therhnnnnnnnnng.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Whenever I get the urge to masturbate, I now go to my bunk.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm armed ALL the time and still have dreams (Nightmares) of leaving my weapon at the Mess Hall?

It's not so bad that you dream about it, but it sucks when you whip out your pistol and look for a clearing barrel as you walk into McDonald's ...

LOL!

Yeah, I've done that too, looking for a clearing barrel outside of a few establishments.

I also pulled up to a gas station and saw a stack of several cases of water bottles. As I was filling up, I threw 4 cases in the back of my truck and it didn't even dawn on me to pay for the water. I drove off and a few miles down the road, I got a nagging felling something wasn't right. Then I suddenly realized I didn't pay for the water. I turned around and went back to the gas station and told the clerk I forgot to pay. He didn't even know I took the water.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It took me 2 years to be able to masturbate anywhere but a toilet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Still eat fast, I have cut back on the cursing.  But I still hate driving over anything on the road.  I mean anything, I swerved to go around a dead squirrel once and my wife asked why.  "Hell, some HME in a dead animals butt is an Afghan smart bomb"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Super light sleeper, and I typically only able to sleep for five hours.

It doesn't take much for food to set my stomach off.

I keep almost an entire "pioneer kit" tool set and two packages of bottled water in my vehicle.

I hate the dark. I'm super anal about batteries and backups. I also hate crowded, noisy places.

I spend a lot of time "staging" things when I travel.

Zero tolerance for late people, or those that don't do their job.

One good thing is that having experienced being the "new guy" in so many ways, starting new things or meeting new People is a lot less stressful. "Nobody died, nobody's pregnant, and I don't have to jump today"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Spitting my saliva. I don't dip or chew tobacco, but after that first year of spitting dust out of my mouth...if I'm outside, I'm a compulsive spitter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I almost drew down on a little Mexican girl in the mall who popped her balloon behind me. Spun around like Bruce fucking Lee and had my pistol half out of the holster before I remembered I was in a store to buy a pair of shoes. This was after my second deployment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Can't stand to sit around doing nothing anymore.  I get bored pretty easily and want to do something whether it's clean stuff or work on something.

Back into parking spaces.  

More jumpy with loud noises or even not so loud noises.  We went to Disneyland last summer and we went to the Art of Animation studio and drew pictures of Olaf from Frozen.  When we finished, exited through the gift shop and headed to the bathrooms.  There was a kid sitting outside waiting on his parents and he was playing with a balloon.  We were probably 15 feet away from him when he popped the balloon. I about came unglued and my wife says it looked like I jumped out of my skin.  

I'll be walking to my office on campus and I hear loud noises and I'll jump or duck.  

Always checking for places bad guys can shoot from.  

Little tolerance for stupid stuff.  

Speak my mind more freely and with less inhibition.  My wife really doesn't like this one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#29]
A lot of the habits sound fairly common for Vets, the IED threat seems exclusive to the IRQ/AFG vets.

I've been retired 12 years and still have several of the ones mentioned, at least I know now that I'm not alone.

Was asleep the other day after working nights and a few ANG CH-47's flew over the house and I woke up in a sweat from a dead sleep trying to figure out where the hell I was.
Told the story to the wife and she thought I was paranoid they were coming to get me, she doesn't realize on my last deployment we had British Army 47's that flew logistics missions in our area.

Semper Fi,
Old Marine

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I've slept with ear plugs in since my 2004 deployment. Fucking things are addictive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wife thinks it's weird that I do the "clear right" or "clear left" thing when she's driving.

I curse...a lot.

I have an unhealthy distrust of crowds.

I used to eat really fast, but I got over that one.
View Quote

All of these.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Your dad a short stocky E5 or E6 with a crossed rifles and mispelled Infantry tattoo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait you were in Desert Storm and your dad was in Iraq in 2007? Is that supposed to be the other way around?

I know, weird huh?  Dad was in the Army in the mid 60's.  He got out after 4 years.  He joined the WI National guard around 1984.  

I joined the Army in 1989 and was sent to Germany then Desert Storm.  He never went to war.

Dad got deployed with his Guard unit in 2007.

My family is kinda like LT Dan's family in Forrest Gump.  Each male in the line served in the military in combat since the Revolution.  Dad's war was the Vietnam war but he spent his enlistment in Korea and Japan.  Mine was Desert Storm.  I don't have kids, their war would have been the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

Dad took up the slack and got his war in 2007.

Your dad a short stocky E5 or E6 with a crossed rifles and mispelled Infantry tattoo?

Nope 6'2 and about 200.  Big ass heart with a scroll across it that says mom.  Retired as an e5 with 19 years in grade.  He was an infantry company armorer.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#33]
snip
View All Quotes
snip
]

Wow what an interesting story. Do you have any pics of your dads Iraq deployment?

I will try to get some this weekend.  I know he bought a digital camera and took a ton of pics.  I will see what he's got.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:18:36 AM EDT
[#34]
crippling dependence upon otis spunkmeyer muffins, insatiable craving for POWER rip its, newfound ability to spend any free time inside of a dark room on the internet hording movies on my thumbdrive
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I hate crowds but I hate standing in line even more.  

I am glad I never had to worry about ied's.  That seems to be really common with our current crop of vets.

It takes a conscious effort for me to walk on grass or stick my hands in my pockets.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:26:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Pretty much the normal stuff.

Hate crowds.  Hate having people behind me.  I'll back up to a wall or something if possible, and if I can't, I look behind me constantly.  Never really realized it until I visited my sister in Colorado.  We were downtown for some firefighters parade thing and music.  She kept asking me if I was ok, and if I wanted to leave.  Her husband is an infantryman too, who just got back, so she kinda knows the deal.

Bags of trash or debris on the road.. I'll get as far as possible from it.  

AR leaning on the headboard.  Check my pistol constantly and carry it with me to the bathroom in my house... Every time.

Smoking.  

I catch myself saying "rog" or "roger" or "check" every now and then to waitresses at restaraunts.

I piss anywhere outside that I can.

And I can't sleep for shit without meds!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I won't drive near fresh gravel on an asphalt road.

I can jerk off quietly next to my wife without disturbing her.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can jerk off quietly next to my wife without disturbing her.
View Quote

me too, because I hung a poncho liner between the bed to separate who's side of the room is who's
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Not my story, but a good friend told this to me.  

We're older, he was a Huey door gunner in Vietnam.

He came home, flew into Chicago and his parents met him at the airport to drive him home.

He said they were walking across the parking lot, him in the middle with his arm over his mom's and dad's shoulders, his mom's arm around his waist and his dad carrying his little awol bag.

They were talking and his mom asked him, "How would you like to come home to a breakfast of my fresh fried bacon, scrambled eggs and biscuits?"

His reply?  A very loud and enthusiastic, "FUNKIN'A, MAN!"

He said his bag hit the pavement, his mom and dad stopped so quick he almost knocked his mom down with his arm and both of them pulled away and just stood there looking at him.  Then his dad picked up the bag and said, "Son, you're going to have to work on that."  And they headed on across the parking lot to the car.

A laughed my ass off when I heard that story.  I well remember, "funkin' A, man."  What do they say these days?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Foxtrot Tango Whiskey.....

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Great meal mom

Can you please pass the fucking potatoes

I never deployed to a two way rifle range but it's funny how much of what's posted here I still do.  And I ETS'd in 1986.
View Quote
Thank You for your service man!

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I read all the threads involving experiences while in the military and have a true appreciation for the things you guys endure on a daily basis. It makes me really wish I would have joined and did my part when I had the opportunity and not went into a dead end career. Thank you guys for everything you have done!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Like the poster above me, I also want to thank you guys all for what you have done.

I couldn't join when I tried, ended up in careers in the defense industry to help with equipment  most of you guys used though.

Driving under overpasses. Wish I had a turret in the family vehicles.
View Quote

After seeing this, I can understand why.  It's 3rd ID TF 1-64 to Baghdad thunder run, is this video from a member here?  It's incredible footage from his M1, I use it to remind me and show others what the guys going in harms way are facing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQxR1FXta8
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

After seeing this, I can understand why.  It's 3rd ID TF 1-64 to Baghdad thunder run, is this video from a member here?  It's incredible footage from his M1, I use it to remind me and show others what the guys going in harms way are facing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQxR1FXta8
View Quote

my best friend was the loader on A22, second tank in the formation during the thunder runs. said it was like video games with the cheats on. so jealous of his arcom which has a bullet point for 29 confirmed enemy kills in the first day of the thunder run.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Amazing, I figured someone here was probably in that action.  Thanks for sharing that, appreciate the service you guys did.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Telling somebody on the phone that they came in broken and unreadable, say again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#47]
dad came back from Korea in the 70s...ate ramen all the time...and had us kids walking up and down his back while he laid on the floor watching TV
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Ex-wife woke me up from sleepwalking, clearing the house room by room holding an imaginary rifle.

Can't stand to be in crowded rooms I start to feel like I'm going to have a panic attack or something, I have to stay near exit point.

Zero tolerance for people who can't even do their seemingly easy ass jobs, I did my job and got disabled for the rest of my life.   Least I can expect is to get food prepared exactly how I ordered it..

This one from working the jail, using hand sanitizer after shaking somebody's hand or something.   OCD almost, but not as bad after being gone several years

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Go everywhere armed.  Scan constantly.  I frequently almost go off the road trying to avoid shit in the roadway (there's a lot of fucking road kill up here).  Not using my blinker when turning.  And using "fuck" constantly.  My buddy and I were walking down Disney one day on BAF (hated that place) and two females walking ahead of us told us to watch our language.  My buddy asked me what we said, and I told him "fucked if I know"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Telling somebody on the phone that they came in broken and unreadable, say again.
View Quote

I say roger and say again all the time. I'm trying really hard to stop with the roger stuff though.

Hate overpasses, I was driving to Home Depot one day when I went under a rail overpass, at that same time a train came over making a thunderous sound, next thing I knew my gas pedal was on the floor and my heart rate was through the roof as I un assed the kill zone. I now watch for trains on those tracks before I go under just to prepare myself.

Fuck crowds.

Piss bottles are just so damned convenient when in the basement or garage workshop.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top