Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/19/2014 5:59:04 PM EDT
Other than using FUCK as a comma, what habits or mannerisms did you bring back from deployment?

I was in Desert Storm

I had two distinct ones.

I was a driver in a tank.  We have three vision blocks when the hatch is closed.  One at 12 o'clock, one at 10 and one at 2.  When I drove I was constantly going from 10 to 12 to 2, then back.  It would be 10-pause 12-pause 2-pause, glance at instruments, then 2-pause 12-pause then 10-pause.  Back and forth, never changing, like a metronome.  For about a month after I got back home I would do the same thing while driving a car.  People would point it out and laugh.

My second would be eating.  If I had a plate in front of me, my left hand would wave back and forth a couple of inches above the food while my right hand used the fork or spoon.  That one took about a month and a half to break.

My dad was deployed to Iraq in 2007 and he came back with a bit of PTSD.  For almost a year he couldn't drive because he would straddle the center line, staying as far away from ditches as possible.  If there was fresh dirt or something on the shoulder he would swerve to the far side from the dirt.  Most of his time was spent in convoys, so he was kinda touchy about IEDs.

Those are mine, what did you have?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No one had any?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Turning my shoes upside down before putting them on.
Backing into parking spots.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't trust stray dogs anymore

I refuse to drive next to concrete barriers in construction zones, If I don't have a choice I'm a nervous wreck until I get out of the area

I absolutely will not drive over a piece of cardboard or paper or anything else in the road

I've caught myself doing a 360 walk around before getting into my car when it's been parked in public

There's more. My wife usually notices them before I do.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
what is with the hand waving above the food? flies , or hungry friends?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Head bent down all the time from living on ship.  Im tall as fuck,  I had a permanent duck going on for months after long cruises
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
my attitude got worse, and i got more grumpy, and have a lot less tolerance for stupid shit these days.

im the glass on the right.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this just because I live in an area where scorpions also live...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Any time I go into a bar or strip club I look for the "bar fine" prices and am disappointed there are none.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flies.  There were so many flies.  And the flies carried fleas.  Imagine getting bit by a fly and slapping it.  As soon as it's dead you see fleas hopping off it like little fucking dismounts.  Each fly usually had 4 or five fleas stuck to it around its midsection.

If a buddy had to walk away he would usually say "Watch my shit."  You would then wave your one hand over both or use two hands til he got back.  It became so automatic I just couldn't stop and would catch myself doing it without even thinking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
i almost wrecked my truck late one night coming home from work. it was about 1am. i was really tired and suddenly  i ran into those fucking cables they stretch across the highway to count traffic or something. i spotted it and locked up my tires and slid across it going.. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I was on a submarine.  I always wipe both ends of a phone and binoculars before using them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Flies.  There were so many flies.  And the flies carried fleas.  Imagine getting bit by a fly and slapping it.  As soon as it's dead you see fleas hopping off it like little fucking dismounts.  Each fly usually had 4 or five fleas stuck to it around its midsection.

If a buddy had to walk away he would usually say "Watch my shit."  You would then wave your one hand over both or use two hands til he got back.  It became so automatic I just couldn't stop and would catch myself doing it without even thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats nasty about the flies carrying fleas. I thought flies couldn't suck much more than they already do. I guess they can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing major. If I walk by an alleyway or any other alcove I turn my head to check it. I used to 'scan' a lot when I first got back, but that's slowly dissipating. Truth be told I was pretty screwed up when I got back. More or less normal now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Only did a few training field trips..

Smoking
Yelling "Clear right" when riding shotgun
Shaking out clothing before putting it on
Eating suspect food.
30 sec baby wipe bath while fully dressed drill.
Ability to sleep anywhere at anytime, even in full gear..standing.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was on a submarine.  I always wipe both ends of a phone and binoculars before using them.
View Quote

Are the practical jokes on submarines as wild as I have heard?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Other than using FUCK as a comma,
View Quote

Yeah, that.

-

Any piece of gear that's not totally used will be kept until it's used up.  Already did that a bit, but I think I may do so more after two trips knowing that what I had had to last.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Being under way i came back with a new and improved instant on feature.  Pull me put of my rack, throw water on me I would sleep through it but as soon as you said my name I was fully awake.  Also I along with most everyone else I got in the habit of holding my plate while eating and no cups or coffe mugs.  It was coffe thermos's and water bottles.  Knoting the bitter ends of my laces on my boots so they wouldn't fit through the eyes and trying my boots to my locker.  Oh and powe cat naps.... like 5 to 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No one had any?
View Quote

I don't, but I was a fobbit in an easy gig.

My dad's friend was in Vietnam, and had the same 'driving' thing as your OP mentioned.  Walt was doing 15mph straddling a lane on the 405 coming out of LAX.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My dad's friend was in Vietnam, and had the same 'driving' thing as your OP mentioned.  Walt was doing 15mph straddling a lane on the 405 coming out of LAX.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one had any?

Dad had a hard time readjusting.  He turned 60 in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait you were in Desert Storm and your dad was in Iraq in 2007? Is that supposed to be the other way around?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
WHERE'S MY RIFLE?!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wait you were in Desert Storm and your dad was in Iraq in 2007? Is that supposed to be the other way around?
View Quote

I know, weird huh?  Dad was in the Army in the mid 60's.  He got out after 4 years.  He joined the WI National guard around 1984.  

I joined the Army in 1989 and was sent to Germany then Desert Storm.  He never went to war.

Dad got deployed with his Guard unit in 2007.

My family is kinda like LT Dan's family in Forrest Gump.  Each male in the line served in the military in combat since the Revolution.  Dad's war was the Vietnam war but he spent his enlistment in Korea and Japan.  Mine was Desert Storm.  I don't have kids, their war would have been the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

Dad took up the slack and got his war in 2007.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have any as I was never deployed. But in for the stories.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i almost wrecked my truck late one night coming home from work. it was about 1am. i was really tired and suddenly  i ran into those fucking cables they stretch across the highway to count traffic or something. i spotted it and locked up my tires and slid across it going.. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Holy shit dude...

Edit: an even dirtier mouth, a zero fucks given attitude, and an absolute hatred of the new kids in my shop.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Cant go anywhere without a sidearm..

And i still dig a hole in the backyard to take a dump.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know, weird huh?  Dad was in the Army in the mid 60's.  He got out after 4 years.  He joined the WI National guard around 1984.  

I joined the Army in 1989 and was sent to Germany then Desert Storm.  He never went to war.

My family is kinda like LT Dan's family in Forrest Gump.  Each male in the line served in the military in combat since the Revolution.  Dad's war was the Vietnam war but he spent his enlistment in Korea and Japan.  Mine was Desert Storm.  I don't have kids, their war would have been the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I wash my face with the suds of my shampoo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Microvalve prolapse
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn, that is crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that is crazy.

Here is one of my favorite pics of dad when he was a young man in Korea
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Holy shit dude...

Edit: an even dirtier mouth, a zero fucks given attitude, and an absolute hatred of the new kids in my shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit dude...

I think everyone has the "fuck it" attitude, and the "fuck people" attitude.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#31]
My best friend was in Nam, drank a lot of beer. 40 years later, he still puts his palm over his open glass (iced tea/Pepsi) to keep the roaches from falling in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Looking at every building over three stories tall along the route I am driving as potential shooters platform.

Helicopters flying overhead.

Traffic congestion.

Pissing in bottles at night.

Sleeping with my rifle and pistol next to me.

Keeping at least five cases of bottled water in my truck at all times, along with a CLS bag, a case of MRE's, binoculars, and a rifle, pistol and shotgun.

Wearing my shower shoes in my shower at the house.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Wife thinks it's weird that I do the "clear right" or "clear left" thing when she's driving.

I curse...a lot.

I have an unhealthy distrust of crowds.

I used to eat really fast, but I got over that one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate fucking bridges now and tense up when going under one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm armed ALL the time and still have dreams (Nightmares) of leaving my weapon at the Mess Hall?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL thats good practice if you live in Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Still can't walk past a porta-potty without stopping in and jerking off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Cant go anywhere without a sidearm..

And i still dig a hole in the backyard to take a dump.
View Quote
But then again, you are in Arkansas

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Microvalve prolapse
View Quote
Mitral...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
1. Always saying "over" after each sentence when talking on the phone. (That took about 3 months to get rid of)
2. Riding shotgun and saying "clear right" still to this day
3. Clearing alleys when I came up near them still to this day
4. Sleep with my evil black rifle beside my bed which the wife understands
5. My head is always on a swivel when I am out of the house, I can't stand and talk to people without doing a 360 scan with my head while talking. The wife and family think it is funny and always tell me there is nobody behind me and laugh.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't trust stray dogs anymore

I refuse to drive next to concrete barriers in construction zones, If I don't have a choice I'm a nervous wreck until I get out of the area

I absolutely will not drive over a piece of cardboard or paper or anything else in the road

I've caught myself doing a 360 walk around before getting into my car when it's been parked in public

There's more. My wife usually notices them before I do.

View Quote

I won't run over ANYTHING. freshly dug dirt on the side of the road or a box or something there will make me flinch. . . and I've been back a few years.
I also tend to stop more than a car length back from any other vehicle at stop lights. I'm not even sure where I picked that up . . .
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been on a sub. why do you do this ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your dad a short stocky E5 or E6 with a crossed rifles and mispelled Infantry tattoo?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
WHERE'S MY RIFLE?!
View Quote

I have so done this. Also, I've been out for a couple of years, but still do work on a couple of MIL bases from time to time.
I cannot count how many times I've been walking across the parking lot on a base and been 100 yards from anywhere and then gone "FUCK! where's my cover ?!"
instant heart attack.

I also STILL can NOT put my hands in my pockets when on a base. it's bizarre. I don't even think about it for a millisecond anywhere else, but on the base, I immediately flinch if one hand hits a pocket.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#46]

My boss had that hung up on the door to our office, mostly because the Comapny/Battalion treated our platoon like shit the whole time we were there.

Anyway, after 4 field trips to the sandbox...

1) I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. Doesn't matter if the wife and I are going 10 minutes down the street to her friend's house, if I don't have water in the car I will get out, go into the house, and grab a bottle.
2) I order EVERYTHING online. This is from a hatred of going to the PX downrange.
3) an absolute and complete hatred of slow-ass people who fumble-fuck around in front of me when I am trying to walk somewhere. Coupled with a general dislike and intolerance of civilian incompetence and stupidity.
4) every fucking deployment...after I get back I spend about a month checking for my weapon and cover when I go outside.
5) I wear crocs inside my house...but that is also due to having cold hardwood floors and broken bones in both feet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm armed ALL the time and still have dreams (Nightmares) of leaving my weapon at the Mess Hall?
View Quote

It's not so bad that you dream about it, but it sucks when you whip out your pistol and look for a clearing barrel as you walk into McDonald's ...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's not so bad that you dream about it, but it sucks when you whip out your pistol and look for a clearing barrel as you walk into McDonald's ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#49]
That is funny and real,
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#50]

I don't think I gained any permanent mannerisms, just spent a month or two always feeling constantly to my left hip to make sure my pistol was there because I'd constantly verify that my pistol was locked in (6004 hood thing). Huge habit to break, always reaching over to verify the hood was locked.

That, and the "fuck, where's my m4" 3am wake-ups.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top