Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you ride already or will this be your first motorcycle?
View Quote

This.

After that though, look for recently cleaned specific area (trying to hide a leak), and look over aftermarket mods (ie, installed shorter reach bars, but not longer cables, so teh bars only tun 2/3 of teh way right)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On the internet everyone will hate you, in real life, everyone will compliment your bike.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
ride whatever..have a blast
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The same old, typical comments always come out.  Oh, a Harley thread, I have something witty to say.  Don't know what the hell I am talking about but it sure sounds cool to bash them.

To the OP, if you plan on using it for touring go with the Road King, Street Glide, Ultra or Road Glide.  They are comfortable and dependable and riding 2 up is not a problem with any of these bikes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have one anymore, If I was to buy another it would probably be a heritage springer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't have one anymore, If I was to buy another it would probably be a heritage springer.
View Quote

I had a 2002 Heritage Springer before I bought my Ultra.  That was one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen and I should have never sold it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What are you going to do with it?  Tour across country, go for a ride on Sunday, or somewhere in between?

I'm a take a ride for a couple of hours on a sunny day kind of person. I've always liked Sportsters, Super Glides, KISS bikes without a bunch of stuff on them. Prefer twin cam big twins. I just like the old school bikes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Coming to ARFcom for advise on a Harley Davidson is like going to DU for advise on mental health and happiness, the HD hate runs deep around here... I've ridden HD since '79 and prefer the old iron, I'm rebuilding an older Shovelhead currently but I do ride a '13 Wide Glide as well, if you can be more specific as to what Softail years you're considering I'll try my best to help you out...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Just do yourself a favor and be sure and check out Indian, Victory, and Triumph BEFORE buying an HD.

Seriously.  Don't drink the kool-aid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I live about 5 miles from a Hardley Ableson dealer . I have been amazed at how far away I can hear loud pipes and stereos . Think of them as fart can , 24 inch wheeled crown vics and Bro dozers of the motorcycle world
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I responded earlier in the thread.

Be sure to buy a bike that fits your riding style.

My 2000 Deuce is a great ride for the 1-2 hour short rides that I personally like. It has no windshield, because I like that wind in my face feel.

If you are thinking longer rides ( 3+ hours ) you may want to consider a touring bike with more comfy seats - a windshield etc ...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been driving and looking at the road since 95. I've seen maybe one.

I've owned two Harleys and never had an issue. Regular preventative maintenance is key for any vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.

Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?

I've been driving and looking at the road since 95. I've seen maybe one.

I've owned two Harleys and never had an issue. Regular preventative maintenance is key for any vehicle.

I've been driving since 1988 and have probably seen several, honestly, I just don't take particular notice.

I can say that the only bike I've ever had to load into the back of a truck, because it died on the road, was......a Honda!

Everything breaks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Brit bikes are cool but have a reputation for being expensive and having issues.  The reviews of newer models are more promising, but I'd still be wary.

As far as Japanese bikes go, all four makers build solid bikes.  I'm partial to Kawasaki but whatever floats your boat.  Are you looking at a sport bike, a street bike, a dual sport, a tourer,....?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pondering what bike to choose as well.  I've ruled out HD. Definitely going used.  

Right now I'm thinking Honda, Suzuki or even a Triumph.

Brit bikes are cool but have a reputation for being expensive and having issues.  The reviews of newer models are more promising, but I'd still be wary.

As far as Japanese bikes go, all four makers build solid bikes.  I'm partial to Kawasaki but whatever floats your boat.  Are you looking at a sport bike, a street bike, a dual sport, a tourer,....?

Either street cruiser or dual sport.  I like the look of the Triumph Bonneville.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#16]
be sure to get the fast and really good handling one....oh wait...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On the internet everyone will laugh at you, in real life, everyone will still be laughing at you.

View Quote

If you want fashion accessory by all means,  get a HD.   Pretty much every cruiser made by anybody else is better.

What type of riding do you envision yourself doing OP.   If it includes riding by big glass windows really slow to check out your reflection HD is your brand,  anything else, there is a better option.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just do yourself a favor and be sure and check out Indian, Victory, and Triumph BEFORE buying an HD.

View Quote

I'd never owned a harley, always wanted one. Finally went shopping for one and test rode a Victory gunner for giggles. It was an OK bike. I really like victorys 106 motor that things built like a tank and its easily maintenanced at home. What I didn't like was it looked generic and the switchs and housings looked cheap and plasticky. The bar risers were ugly too. Plus accessories are far and few between in comparison to HD.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of brands out there for people willing to conform just to avoid conforming.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If you like working on bikes and are good at it......get a Harley.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.

You're just showing your ignorance
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

OMG, I've bought and sold prob 200 Harleys since 1997. Feel free to PM if I can help. Plus, If you want advice about motorcycles read well between the lines here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you obese?
Lots of cheezy tats?
Like fat chicks?
Like to ride 30mph in a 60, near the center line?
Have a goatee?
Wear a do-rag?
Is every single article of clothing you wear emblazoned with the awesome "H-D" logo?

If so, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want fashion accessory by all means,  get a HD.   Pretty much every cruiser made by anybody else is better.

What type of riding do you envision yourself doing OP.   If it includes riding by big glass windows really slow to check out your reflection HD is your brand,  anything else, there is a better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the internet everyone will laugh at you, in real life, everyone will still be laughing at you.

Like everybody doesn't do that no matter what kind of bike you're on.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Either street cruiser or dual sport.  I like the look of the Triumph Bonneville.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pondering what bike to choose as well.  I've ruled out HD. Definitely going used.  

Right now I'm thinking Honda, Suzuki or even a Triumph.

Consider a KLR650.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you obese?  Nope, 5' 11" and 145 pounds, how about you?
Lots of cheezy tats?  Full sleeve tats on both arms, but I paid a butt load of money to a nationally recognized artist for my ink
Like fat chicks?  No
Like to ride 30mph in a 60, near the center line?  Too many years of track and sportbike street riding for me to ride like that
Have a goatee?  No goats asshole here
Wear a do-rag?  Actually I do, they help keep the liners of my full face helmets cleaner
Is every single article of clothing you wear emblazoned with the awesome "H-D" logo? The only HD logos are on my HD's

You missed one:  Do you like to work on your bike?  I do, HD's are easy to work on, easy to modify and simple to maintain.  When my Japanese bikes needed more work than I cared for I scrapped them out, they're disposable, my HD's are not... arent stereotypes fun?

If so, I say go for it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been riding for 3 years
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own a 73 triumph tiger, its not a daily rider and has a lot of sentimental meaning so it get polished and covered more than I ride it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so whats it like being old? do they really give you a discount at country kitchen buffet?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Too expensive, but I really want a forty-eight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What are you going to do with it?  Tour across country, go for a ride on Sunday, or somewhere in between?

I'm a take a ride for a couple of hours on a sunny day kind of person. I've always liked Sportsters, Super Glides, KISS bikes without a bunch of stuff on them. Prefer twin cam big twins. I just like the old school bikes.
View Quote

I'm really liking the dyna super glides or street bobs, both seem to be in my general price range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

so whats it like being old? do they really give you a discount at country kitchen buffet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 24 , the jap bikes aren't for me anymore
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to ride a BMW R69S with fairing, Craven Hard Bags etc. and when I would pull up at a HD shop on a Sat morning, all the guys there would drool over my bike. Loved that thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound like you're ready for the HD, OP.  I've kept sport bikes around as track bikes and occasional street rides but would rather ride HD's.  I sold my track 'just' street legal R1 over the Thanksgiving weekend, I'm 53 and have lost interest in track riding but I certainly don't feel undergunned on an HD, proper corner entry and throttle control still will leave a majority of the sportbikers in my rear views...

I've owned 2 Softails and found I preferred the Dyna series more, the Dyna's feel more 'visceral' due to the lack of counterbalancing in the engine, if you can, ride several different models to determine what you prefer, I liked my NightTrain but LOVE my Wide Glide...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sound like you're ready for the HD, OP.  I've kept sport bikes around as track bikes and occasional street rides but would rather ride HD's.  I sold my track 'just' street legal R1 over the Thanksgiving weekend, I'm 53 and have lost interest in track riding but I certainly don't feel undergunned on an HD, proper corner entry and throttle control still will leave a majority of the sportbikers in my rear views...

I've owned 2 Softails and found I preferred the Dyna series more, the Dyna's feel more 'visceral' due to the lack of counterbalancing in the engine, if you can, ride several different models to determine what you prefer, I liked my NightTrain but LOVE my Wide Glide...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I feel I'm ready for the swap too. I love my Suzuki and the snap of it but I'm looking for something I can take longer rides on, I'm also ready for a rumble and not a fart can. I'm not looking for my last bike either just something different for a few years, a nice superglide with some ape hangers sounds good to me
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Harleys make all the sense in the world where most roads are straight and flat and boring or where congestion is high, such as in most of the Midwest, much of the East Coast, and so on. They make far less sense in places where there are mountains and twisty roads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we all have to grow up sooner or later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Harleys make all the sense in the world where most roads are straight and flat and boring or where congestion is high, such as in most of the Midwest, much of the East Coast, and so on. They make far less sense in places where there are mountains and twisty roads.
View Quote

You are right, forker.  The greater lean angles for aggressive cornering are not available on most HD's, even the Sportster.  If I lived out west I'd still have that R1, but I'm planning on retiring to Florida next year, Florida, the land of 11 turns in 318 miles...  When I rode on track my motto was dive into the corner until you saw Jesus.  An HD just isn't for that type of riding, the same techniques apply but with far less lean angle to work with.  I think an HD is a different animal, more of a physical and emotional connection and that's why I love the old iron, it shudders and shakes like a motorcycle.  I've always believed the wrenching and garage time is a part of it, sort of a bonding... maybe I'm getting old...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't be that many because I have been riding them since 1985 and have yet to be broken down on the side of the road. I put around 7k miles a year on mine.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The same old, typical comments always come out.  Oh, a Harley thread, I have something witty to say.  Don't know what the hell I am talking about but it sure sounds cool to bash them.

To the OP, if you plan on using it for touring go with the Road King, Street Glide, Ultra or Road Glide.  They are comfortable and dependable and riding 2 up is not a problem with any of these bikes.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I had a 2002 Heritage Springer before I bought my Ultra.  That was one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen and I should have never sold it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a new street glide in 06 when they first came out. Sold it in 2011 when I bought my ultra.

I still miss it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where you ride but we hardly ever see any glass windows where we like to go,  not to mention, cars, other motorcycles or people for that matter.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#44]
60,000 on my softy, changed plugs once.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where you ride but we hardly ever see any glass windows where we like to go,  not to mention, cars, other motorcycles or people for that matter.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20141019_122922_zpsahvg25td.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_111823_zpsk789wqf0.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140712_111813_zps5apnam9s.jpg

Fabulous back country . I haven't rode mountain trails for over 30 years.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow, you've never seen any bike other than a Harley on the side of the road? You should probably take off the training wheels and leave your drive way, if mommy will let you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, you've never seen any bike other than a Harley on the side of the road? You should probably take off the training wheels and leave your drive way, if mommy will let you.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

No truth whatsoever in your above words!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

ETA: if your buying a used twin cam bike, definately read the above links!

Bottom line is, the big twin cam motors are potential mechanical disasters amd not built like they use to be. Its a throw away design now.

View Quote

I work on Harley's for a living. Mostly Twin Cams. While they certainly have their issues and I would not argue that there are better bikes on the road than a Harley, there is so much absolute bullshit in this article that it's not even funny.

Shoot me a PM if you want accurate info OP. I will be glad to provide you with any real world info that I can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I think all bikes break down at some point, at least they do if you don't maintain them.

A buddy has over 250,000 miles on Harleys over the past 35 years. He likes 'em.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top