Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree with all of the above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
she was stopped and out of the car in left lane on highway.  no brake lights...  it is her fault 187%  

Agree with all of the above.

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The thing is.......and it is a scary thing.........in these type of folk's minds..........those duckling's lives are more valuable than human life.

I have met these types before. They REALLY believe that a duck, or any other animal for that matter, is just as precious as human life.

I would bet my house, if you were able to have a honest conversation with this lady, she would tell you that what she did was good........she saved the lives of 6 ducks and it only cost 2 human lives.  She would do it again, if given the opportunity.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I agree with Aimless on this one. What she did was stupid but the Motorcyclist and his daughter are dead because of his own incompetence, no if's, ands or but's about it.

If the car was stopped long enough for her to put in into park, get out and walk away then is was stopped more then long enough that the Motorcyclist should have seen it, recognized that is was stopped and made the appropriate corrects.. he didn't, he died. 100% his fault IMO.

And yes in the US, if you reared someone it is always legally your fault. Doesn't matter what the person in front of you did or didn't do. You either failed to maintain a safe distance or you failed to control your vehicle.

if that's the case that means the Motorcyclist was traveling too fast for the conditions. When visibility is low (glare, rain, snow, fog whatever) you are supposed to reduce your speed appropriately for this exact type of reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
she was stopped and out of the car in left lane on highway.  no brake lights...  it is her fault 187%  
Motorcyclist failed to have his vehicle under control and pay attention.  

I agree with Aimless on this one. What she did was stupid but the Motorcyclist and his daughter are dead because of his own incompetence, no if's, ands or but's about it.

If the car was stopped long enough for her to put in into park, get out and walk away then is was stopped more then long enough that the Motorcyclist should have seen it, recognized that is was stopped and made the appropriate corrects.. he didn't, he died. 100% his fault IMO.

And yes in the US, if you reared someone it is always legally your fault. Doesn't matter what the person in front of you did or didn't do. You either failed to maintain a safe distance or you failed to control your vehicle.

Quoted:
IIRC they where riding into the sunset which may have hindered visibility.

if that's the case that means the Motorcyclist was traveling too fast for the conditions. When visibility is low (glare, rain, snow, fog whatever) you are supposed to reduce your speed appropriately for this exact type of reason.

People hit objects in the road all the time, for a variety of reason, it does not absolve the person who put said object in road.  Also, the longer she is stopped, the least likely it is that anyone behind her saw her stop, as they would be too far away to see what she is doing.

Either way, stopping on a highway for ducks is not legal.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did the woman.  Had the motorcyclist survived he would have been charged as well.  His negligence does not nullify her guilt.  Her reckless action resulted in the death of another motorist and his passenger even if he was being a dumbass also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So did the woman.  Had the motorcyclist survived he would have been charged as well.  His negligence does not nullify her guilt.  Her reckless action resulted in the death of another motorist and his passenger even if he was being a dumbass also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The girl was not a passenger. I believe she was driving her own bike. The 2 bikes hit the car.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Totally agree, she put the lives of everyone behind her at risk.

Liking animals is one thing, putting them higher on the value list than humans (humans in general) ain't right.

I've never been to Canada, but there is nowhere in the US, that I am aware of, where it is legal to stop on the interstate, or any highway for that matter.

She should have gotten more than 10 years.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife got rear ended slowing for some ducks on the interstate. She was on an offramp and probably doing 20, dude behind her, maybe 50? Wham! A momma duck and her babies. She went right over them, center of the car, no injuries. I told her she was a moran and we should have been eating foie gras for dinner. Hopefully, she learned something...but, I highly fucking doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bit different if there are laws against stopping in traffic lanes - and there are in quite a few places.

Anyone stupid enough to stop in the left lane of a highway and get out of their car to shepherd ducks is too stupid to have a license in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wife got rear ended slowing for some ducks on the interstate. She was on an offramp and probably doing 20, dude behind her, maybe 50? Wham! A momma duck and her babies. She went right over them, center of the car, no injuries. I told her she was a moran and we should have been eating foie gras for dinner. Hopefully, she learned something...but, I highly fucking doubt it.
View Quote

Offramp isn't the same as the freeway.  Dude who rear ended her is a dumbfuck.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I partially agree with aimless on this, the accident was probably 50/50 she shouldn't have been stopped with out some kind of indication she was stopped like hazard lights blinking etc... The motorcyclist shouldn't have been going so fast that he could not control the vehicle he was driving, I mean you don't expect a car in the middle of the road but there was and he couldn't stop or avoid it. What if it had been some other object like a tree branch.

One day on the interstate we had a boat and various pieces scattered across the roadway on my way to work. No one around to tell you it was there not even the police for several minutes it looked as though the ball had come loose or broke causing the trailer to buck wildly and knock the boat off the trailer. So as a driver you always have to be in control and driving with due care for obstacles in the road, even if you don't think they should be there, I mean how often do you see a boat laying on the interstate?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Stalled car, moose, deer; Pay fucking attention when driving. Remember Murph?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so, but it's still way slower than the offramp posted speed...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The trial heard that Czornobaj, who had three years of driving experience at the time,
View Quote

She stopped in the passing lane without hazard lights. Guilty

He was doing 120 fps with a 16 year old on the back. Stupid.

The victim’s victims' family members, however, have expressed frustration with Czornobaj over the fact that she hasn’t reached out to them
View Quote

Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd. Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd. Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd.

Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd:

Nerd = nerd (nerd)
Nerd = nerd nerd (US nerd)

Nerd:

Nerd = nerd nerd-nerd nerd n(nerd)

blah too tired to quote all of it

End result of all the nerd:

Motorcycle was traveling too fast for conditions.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Highways have a minimum speed limit for a reason. Even at 40mph someone doing 70mph can crawl up their ass pretty quick without noticing how quickly the gap is being closed. At highway speeds on a motorcycle that stops in a lot further distance then a car, she is parked in the fast lane.... Dumb bitch basically killed two people over some little duckies...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
normally I'd agree with you OP, about normally the person hitting the car is at fault, but who the holy hell stops a car in the left lane on a highway?  I mean, ducks are cool but two people are dead cause she was stupid.  She was parked, on a highway, in a free flowing lane, with no brake lights.

just an hour ago, we were headed S on I15 in Salt Lake, open freeway, very little traffic.  some A-hole center lane stands on the brakes and just skids to a stop middle of the freeway, we very narrowly avoided missing them as we were changing lanes and had looked back over my shoulder to check the lane. You don't expect someone to stand on the brakes, or park a car, on a free flowing freeway.

she got off light I think
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
There's a special place in hell reserved for those shit birds that go from 10 over the speed limit in the far left lane, cut across 3 lanes of traffic hard on the brakes, then dead stop in the right lane with their turn signal on. It's a real hoot in rush hour traffic, especially in an already dangerous stretch of road. There are a few interstate interchanges in St. Louis that are magnets for this stupidity. There's nothing like having a safe following distance in heavy traffic when some ass clown decides to play games with your life. Then .87 seconds later, you find yourself with the brake pedal to the floor, ABS shaking the fuck out of your teeth, no where to go, and the semi behind you getting larger in your rear view mirror. I sleep easy that night knowing that if that moron caused my death, they would most likely never stop. I'm willing to bet that many of these yahoos travel the same stretch of road DAILY.

Another one of my favorites are the "road work X miles ahead Y lane closed" areas. Never mind the fact that they damn well know whats happening, and where it's located. They have to wait until they're on the ragged edge of vehicular manslaughter to cut over, attempting to push me out of my damn lane, soiling some unfortunate road crewman's underwear in the process. When they lay on the horn, it really makes me realise that I am the irresponsible one. Stupid fucking fucks.

I sure do appreciate those ass hats that insist on burning off 20mph of speed or more for a chunk of shit in the road. Something as simple as a chunk of cardboard, or a plastic Walmart bag causes the clown in the Prius to have an existensial crisis that can only be solved with liberal application of the brake pedal. If it's that hard to process, they need to stick to travel by foot.

So yeah, the crazy duckling lady got what she deserved. I have absolutely no sympathy for weapons grade stupid that is unleashed on our public road ways. Full retard should never occur while in motion. Or in her case, in the vicinity of motion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#18]
what if she was trying to save a small retard which had wondered onto the hwy, would that change the verdict?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Motorcyclists are the most hypocritical, whiny assholes ever.

They basically (mostly) ride like a bunch of retards and do stupid shit that effects other people, but when someone does something that directly effects them, they'll scream bloody murder.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They basically (mostly) ride like a bunch of retards and do stupid shit that effects other people, but when someone does something that directly effects them, they'll scream bloody murder.  

View Quote

A guy calling a dead motorcyclist who was riding regularly an asshole because of past actions of other motorcyclists...how rich...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

going 60-70 mph you can't always detect car moving or not, when you come from behind and there are no brake lights...they are there for a reason.  or he could of changed lanes into that lane right before that - you can not stop immediately and this was not the case of following too closely.  

View Quote

about "keep it under control", do you ride a motorcycle, or are you one of these motorists that automatically assume that every rider is dangerous or incapable or both?

You can't?

Not saying she wasn't at fault, but anyone who can't tell that a car is stopped in the road ahead as you approach it at 60-70mph shouldn't be driving.

On the other hand, at 70mph things approach VERY quickly, and all it takes is a few seconds of inattentiveness.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A guy calling a dead motorcyclist who was riding regularly an asshole because of past actions of other motorcyclists...how rich...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention using 'effects' in a sentence when 'affects' is the right word.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Stopped in left lane of a highway to get ducks?  Assuming no blinkers are on?

She deserves more time in jail...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If the car was stopped long enough for her to put in into park, get out and walk away then it was stopped more than long enough for the Motorcyclist to see it, recognized that is was stopped and then make the appropriate corrections. He didn't, he died. 100% his fault IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the car was stopped long enough for her to put in into park, get out and walk away then it was stopped more than long enough for the Motorcyclist to see it, recognized that is was stopped and then make the appropriate corrections. He didn't, he died. 100% his fault IMO.

Quoted:
IIRC they where riding into the sunset which may have hindered visibility.

Easy to armchair quarterback..If you aregoing down the highway at speed, it might be a little tough to differentiate a car that is completely stopped with no indicators on...Think about it..no brake lights, probably no hazard lights either...just all of a sudden a car is there.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I almost rear ended a car this morning on my way to work. Guy came from nowhere from a parking lot, never slowed (or most likely even looked).
Just pulled out without even stopping first. Laid on the brakes and horn with equal fervor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Prime example of when idiots collide....literally.  Woman is a dumbass for stopping for ducks, however situational awareness and control on the part of the motorcycle rider would have saved them.  What if the woman had broken down and couldn't get over?  Regardless of the reason the woman was stopped, the end result would have been the same.  Motorcycle should have had more than enough time to stop.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wreck was unavoidable because of her extreme inference to public safety and gross negligence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

<snip>

The girl was not a passenger. I believe she was driving her own bike. The 2 bikes hit the car.
View Quote

As I've posted earlier, there's more than enough negligence in this incident to go around for all involved but if it is true there were 2 bikes it sounds like the classic follow the leader type crash, the second rider is focused on the first rider and not scanning ahead as they must be on a motorcycle, they're relying on the first motorcycle to clue them in to what's happening.  Over the years I've had my share of cars stop suddenly, pull into traffic and stall, U-turns from the right lane, and in each case keeping my eyes up and down the road as far as possible gave me time to react and keep the situation as a wild annoyance instead of turning into a tragedy.

This is a perfect example of follow the leader on a motorcycle:

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What if the car had broken down and she couldn't have gotten out of the left lane?  What than?  

Take the ducks out of it.  The lady was stopped on the highway, and somebody not paying attention smoked her.  

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What if the car had broken down and she couldn't have gotten out of the left lane?  What than?  

Take the ducks out of it.  The lady was stopped on the highway, and somebody not paying attention smoked her.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What seems clear? Based on the article, what do you know about this that I don't? Can you describe the road? Do you know what kind of sight lines there were? Was this some long and wide open stretch of road where the rider had his head up his ass or was he rounding a blind curve with little time to react? Do you know how fast the motorcyclist was traveling?

You have no fucking clue about any of the above, and merely talking out of your ass. "All motorcyclist ride like retards" is the exact same line of reasoning as "All Ar15 owners are dangerous terrorists."

The woman, based on the facts presented in the article, was 100% at fault and two people are dead because of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top