User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What exactly was a chihuahua bred to do anyway?  

My buddy has a rat terrier that thinks it's just a little doberman on amphetamines.  All she needs is a target.   Friendly little beast though.   Just a bit bouncy   The little ones are supposed to be that way.  

If the taco bell dog was bred to chase and kill little critters, let it do so and get some of the trembling rage energy worked out.
View Quote

Wikipedia says chihuahua history is murky, but suggests they've always been bling (companion) dogs.

People think little dogs don't need exercise and walks like their bigger cousins. They do. They need lots of exercise and discipline. People just don't give it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hate taco dogs as well as all sorts of "mini" dogs.

I call them rat dogs.
View Quote

Well they were breed to hunt rats, so ya they are rat dogs
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]

That is the most concise, succinct, and accurate explanation of why people let their dogs become assholes I have heard.

I dub thee: Cesar-song Milan"

Quoted:
short answer--when small dogs exhibit non-submissive behavior, this is thought of as 'cute' instead of as a problem.  therefore they think that they're in charge, and that behavior is continuously reinforced.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only ever known two Chihuahuas in my life, one was owned by a friend and the other was owned by an old aunt.

BOTH were skittish little things scared of everything.

My friend's Chihuahua was notorious for pissing itself at the slightest thing. I was at their house helping him move a couch last summer and I sneezed too loudly and the dog pissed itself and ran under their bed.

My old aunt's Chihuahua "pepe" (peppy) was so overfed it looked like one of those little smokies hot dogs with legs and a head. It would sit on her lap and bury it's head in her arm "hiding" from guests.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is the most concise, succinct, and accurate explanation of why people let their dogs become assholes I have heard.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
short answer--when small dogs exhibit non-submissive behavior, this is thought of as 'cute' instead of as a problem.  therefore they think that they're in charge, and that behavior is continuously reinforced.

LOL Seconded!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother and sister-in-law have a little runt chihuahua that's the biggest a$$hole dog in the world. It will bite anyone and that has the audacity to knock and enter the front door (fur raised furious kill mode) heck just knocking on anything wood puts him in kill mode. If he gets access to any area where he knows he is not supposed to be he will shit and piss over everything. When I have to babysit him he will cry and whine until they come and pick him up.

While I hate this dog I do not blame it or the breed for its behavior, I put that blame on my super liberal sister in law who coddles is and acts like the dog can do no harm, if he bites a kid the kid was obviously doing something to incite the reaction. As far as I know I am the only "Alpha" dog the little bastard knows.
Chihuahuas get such a bad rep because the type of owner who usually buys them is also the type the coddles, coos, and refused to train their dog ( my sister in law refused to use any type of negative reinforcement).  This leads the most of the dogs you meet being spoiled little a$$holes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, I inherited two chihuahuas after my daughter left home for college.

I loved them and took care of them until they died of old age/heart failure.

BUT they were just too high-strung for me.

I now have a rescue female GSD.  

She is the third female GSD I have had in my life.

Yes, the GSD is my favorite breed of dog.  I understand them and know how intelligent they are.

If my GSD would just stop trying to get up on my lap to get pets and a belly rub......She is 75 pounds now and belly rubs are a bit harder than they were when she was a 15-pound pup.  She is asleep on the floor beside me at this moment as she always likes to keep dad within eyesight.  

The female GSD I have now is the most protective of all the GSDs I have owned in my life.  

I don't see myself ever owning another chihuahua.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was 8 when my grandmother passes away.  She left an ass hole name Jethro with my mother.  I hated that dag more than I have ever hated anything.  One day we are all sitting on the back porch and the little ass hole comes and hickes it up, pisses all over my leg, then runs off and hides.  

All the dog did was piss on everything and bark 24/7.  We got a shock collar for it but, the barking just became more shrill and somehow, however impossible it may seem, more irritating.  

Never will I own one or allow it in my house.

This is my dag.  Russian Sheperd and named Pivo (beer in russian)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10402852_10203109384468677_6678629611003662917_n.jpg?oh=b374115ff5742910404d2161f7515eab&oe=550C18A8&__gda__=1426469701_527fd4f61a0fbad2d048ad38804cdeab
View Quote

any more pics? beautiful dog!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

thats because your ball and chain watched beverly hills chihuahua

My ball & chains chihuahua is named chloe!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Allow me to introduce Chloe.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8eXdSsEUvUg/VJOjg1NstuI/AAAAAAAABlc/kghkWEtZnHg/s400/IMG_0027.jpg

Chloe was found pregnant, wandering the streets here in San Diego. We rescued her and added her to our family. Chloe doesn't bark unless she's excited about something. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. All she wants to do is cuddle up to us, or complete strangers. It doesn't matter, as long as it's a person, she wants to lay on or beside them. She loves other dogs too. She is definitely not an asshole. She is a sweet little girl who follows us room to room, loaded with playful spunk.

That being said, most chihuahuas I have met have been yippie, peeing little troublemakers.

thats because your ball and chain watched beverly hills chihuahua

My ball & chains chihuahua is named chloe!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate taco dogs as well as all sorts of "mini" dogs.

I call them rat dogs.
View Quote

Well I thought you were cool and liked you.

I was wrong.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dislike all small dogs.

Obnoxious, retarded, genetic deformity of a regular dog.
View Quote

Any breed under 20lbs isn't a dog.

It's a cat that barks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Nothing is as evil as thing fucking thing.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss this little guy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
We have one and I will not shed a tear when it croaks...ill just leave it at that
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69574

This is Rico. He's the greatest chihuahua ever. The nicest tiny dog you'll ever meet and pulls more veejayjay than an OBGYN. I should open a business for the basement dwellers here...250.00 an hour at the local park, where at least ten (real live) women an hour will stop you to talk and to pet him ...results guaranteed!
View Quote

He looks like a baby deer, or a fruit bat. I'd come right up to anyone with one of those!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I had the deer-head variety, identical to this one:

15 years that little shit lived. Got him when he was around a year old. Previous owners had abused him terribly. He never tolerated anyone touching his paws as a result. Other than that, best dog I've ever had. Quiet, gentle, but hated cats with a deep, all-consuming passion. His voice would crack diamonds if he saw one run through the yard. His voice would also scare off the pair of Rottweilers the neighbors had, if they got out, and came in our yard. They would bark and act aggressive to people, but if they heard that little Mexican Afterburner fire up,  God, would they ever de-ass the neighborhood!

I cried like a baby when he had to put him down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I truly despise those little bastards.
View Quote

Goddamn right!! There's more of those little motherf'ers here in Phoenix than I've seen in one place before.

All they are is targets! Or a squeaky play toy-snack for my old Rottweiler!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife has 3 of them, the largest of which is still half the size of my cat.

The dark brown one on the left loves everybody, including the cat.

The light brown one in the middle almost never barks at anything or anyone and is afraid of her own shadow.

The white one on the right is the leader of the pack.  He loves the wife, likes me a lot and likes my kid some but hates everyone else.  He is ok with the one in the middle but will go after the one on the left if he is in my lap and the other one gets too close.  He also barks fiercely at other dogs. The bigger the dog, the harder he barks.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#19]
They're a little more hard headed than most dogs, but not bad by any stretch, they are at least intelligent.. the same can't be said for most small dogs.  My niece brought hers with to come visit for a few months this year.  Typical 'baby dog' syndrome when he got here, he was dominant over her.  But, within a month, he was just as well trained as the other dogs.

I still think Miniature Pinschers are the best small dogs ever, but Pedro was far from the worst I've dealt with, and not the first Chihuahua that I've rehabbed into being a normal dog either.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
He looks like a baby deer, or a fruit bat. I'd come right up to anyone with one of those!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69574

This is Rico. He's the greatest chihuahua ever. The nicest tiny dog you'll ever meet and pulls more veejayjay than an OBGYN. I should open a business for the basement dwellers here...250.00 an hour at the local park, where at least ten (real live) women an hour will stop you to talk and to pet him ...results guaranteed!

I say the same thing about him looking like a deer all the time. So I'm having the pet groomer put fawn stripes n' spots on him for Halloween next year. I'll post pics.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#21]

This is Nappi. Honestly never thought we would ever get a poodle in the house but he needed rescuing. Very sweet dog and the best burglar alarm ever!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#22]
This is when our's turn's into an a**hole. Every time he gets his hoodie and spiked collar on... 3 pounds of pure rage and fury...

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My chihuahua dachshund mix disapproves of your post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I currently have 3 of them.  Best watch dogs ever with those massive ears.
They know no fear.  A opossum mistakenly got in our fenced yard the other day and the Chihuahuas were like little Tasmanian devils circling and jumping in to bite it from all sides.  They killed the poor thing and my wife was freaked out that her cute little dogs could actually be mean
View Quote

Video or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I went to visit a platonic girl friend of mine a few years back.  She had one named Claire and it was hostile to company.  My friend and I watched TV together and when I got up to go to the bathroom it decided to nip my ankle.  I let it go the first time.  The second time it decided to bite my other ankle so I put my right foot under its belly and punted it across the room at half power.  It smacked up against the wall like a wet bean bag.

From what I understand it has been a model citizen around other people ever since and it doesn't nip ankles anymore.  A little painful discipline goes a long way in humans and dogs.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
My Mother got a Chihuahua and it is a very nice dog.  It only barks when someone knocks on the door and other than that just sleeps and walks around.  She is actually a pretty good watchdog with her big ears.  

My Aunt on the other hand has a Chihuahua and that dog is your classic annoying as hell dog.  It barks at everything, it will growl and snap if you do something it doesn't like.  It climbs on everything.  They never socialized it, making it a terrible dog.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What exactly was a chihuahua bred to do anyway?  

My buddy has a rat terrier that thinks it's just a little doberman on amphetamines.  All she needs is a target.   Friendly little beast though.   Just a bit bouncy   The little ones are supposed to be that way.  

If the taco bell dog was bred to chase and kill little critters, let it do so and get some of the trembling rage energy worked out.
View Quote

There are rumors (never found any reason to believe they are true) that they were bred from small native dogs to put inside bags of gold being transported by the Spaniards. Their job was to bite any hands that went into those bags except that of their owners. Sort of a primitive security system for the treasure.

I will say this much. They are territorial and fiercely protective. In fact, they are one of the more difficult temperaments to work with as far as training goes. Stubborn, independent, and generally only obedient to one or two people.

It doesn't help that the majority of people that get them treat them like babies or fashion accessories. They do nothing to actually train the dog, other than reinforce bad behaviors.

Also, the majority of them come from terrible breeders. No thought to temperament, only money. Sometimes they'll consider size in their breeding program, but only insomuch as smaller = more money. The sudden, extreme popularity stemming from the Taco Bell dog in the 90s, followed successively by several movie appearances and Paris Hilton's show was a serious blow to the breed. Any sudden popularity like that leads to an influx of people looking to get rich quick off the loins of their dogs. The breed, always popular with puppy mills due to it's small size, has suffered tremendously as a result of this new popularity.

Sad, really, because a well bred and well trained chihuahua is a wonderful companion.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out:  The Center for Chihuahua Exploitation:

http://home.earthlink.net/~macami/index.htm
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#29]

If you had a brain the size of a marble, you would be pissy too.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I just came across this facebook page

Survivors of Toy Dog Attacks
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
you mention football, well they are classified as drop kick dogs.

Roy
View Quote

Been there done that...SIL dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Small dogs often don't get properly socialized.  The owners often carry them around and the dogs never get to learn how to act on their own.  If they act scared the owner coos at them and reinforces that the fear is appropriate.  Little dogs can be awesome, or they can be assholes.  A lot of time the latter are due to the poor socialization.
View Quote
I have a rat terrier that we rescued and yiu described her perfectly.   Granted she came from an abusive situation...but she does not like anyone but us and does not like other dogs.  Granted...she is not aggressive...but she is very anti social.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top