Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 1:37:06 PM EDT
Sold a handgun to guy out of state and need to ship to his FFL that I will have in hand.  USPS is illegal and UPS and Fed Ex say no based on their policy.  My FFL to his FFL is expensive and time consuming.   I am thinking about boxing it up, keeping my mouth shut,  and sending UPS insured/tracking/signature required.  Any issues with this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you could ship UPS/fedex if it was overnight from a hub?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can ship UPS/fedex if it was overnight from a hub?
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also take it to your local FFL and have him ship it for you via USPS Priority. Many times it ends up cheaper than over night FedEx/UPS. And the receiving FFL doesn't get all pissy about it being from an individual.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, UPS told me I could ship from a hub but its not close.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can also take it to your local FFL and have him ship it for you via USPS Priority. Many times it ends up cheaper than over night FedEx/UPS. And the receiving FFL doesn't get all pissy about it being from an individual.
View Quote

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
So when you ship a gun via UPS they do not have a way to mark it as a firearm. This is so there employees don't steal it. So basically if you ship it and there is some problem they cannot disprove that you told the person at the hub it was a gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My FFL to his FFL is expensive and time consuming.
View Quote

Find a different FFL.
http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs

USPS Priority FRB with insurance shouldn't be more than $30, add transfer fee to that, will be cheaper and easier than UPS or FedEx overnight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Find a different FFL.

USPS Priority FRB with insurance shouldn't be more than $30, add transfer fee to that, will be cheaper and easier than UPS or FedEx overnight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My FFL to his FFL is expensive and time consuming.

Find a different FFL.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

YOUR FFL is charging you for a transfer?

He's not transferring anything.  The transfer is done on the buyers side.  Correct? (I'm not an FFL, but I've sold and shipped on my own with no issues.)
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
When calling around (in Central Ohio), I was very surprised that every FFL (9 or 10) quoted me a minimum of $75+ to ship something.  

Finally, I called Cabela's which was $25 dollars.  When I went to the store to ship it, they informed me that it would actually be $25 transfer fee + actual shipping (around $75 estimated).  Guy actually suggested I ship it myself.

Needless to say I was a bit pissed at their bait and switch, but ended up shipping with them to at least get it out in a timely manner to another member here.  Surprisingly, they never charged me the additional actual shipping cost.  I'm left to wonder if Cabela's is a good deal, or I just got (un)lucky.  

Not sure what the story is on FFLs and USPS, but I'd sure like one around here to get with the program.

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He's not transferring anything.  The transfer is done on the buyers side.  Correct? (I'm not an FFL, but I've sold and shipped on my own with no issues.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

If he gives it to his FFL to ship, it has to go in their book.  Pretty standard for them to charge for that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If he gives it to his FFL to ship, it has to go in their book.  Pretty standard for them to charge for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

That is what my FFL told me
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I print a Fedex label online, nowhere in that process does it ask what you're shipping. I schedule a pickup and they don't ask then either. I do ship it according to policy, I think it has to be at least Express 2nd day with Fedex, its been awhile though so I'm not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sold a handgun to guy out of state and need to ship to his FFL that I will have in hand.  USPS is illegal and UPS and Fed Ex say no based on their policy.  My FFL to his FFL is expensive and time consuming.   I am thinking about boxing it up, keeping my mouth shut,  and sending UPS insured/tracking/signature required.  Any issues with this?
View Quote

USPS - not possible unless you are an FFL

FedEx and UPS - yes, but you have to go to a hub.  The UPS stores and FedEx drop offs do not take weapons.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is how I do it.
Transfer fee + UPS Priority Flat Rate box (usually, depends on the size of the gun) + Insurance
My FFL's transfer fees are $10... so this usually runs $25-$40 total
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When calling around (in Central Ohio), I was very surprised that every FFL (9 or 10) quoted me a minimum of $75+ to ship something.  

Finally, I called Cabela's which was $25 dollars.  When I went to the store to ship it, they informed me that it would actually be $25 transfer fee + actual shipping (around $75 estimated).  Guy actually suggested I ship it myself.

Needless to say I was a bit pissed at their bait and switch, but ended up shipping with them to at least get it out in a timely manner to another member here.  Surprisingly, they never charged me the additional actual shipping cost.  I'm left to wonder if Cabela's is a good deal, or I just got (un)lucky.  

Not sure what the story is on FFLs and USPS, but I'd sure like one around here to get with the program.

Cheers,

Spenny
View Quote

That's not bait and switch.

OP, why not have the buyer take on the costs of shipping?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

That is crazy, shipping cost through USPS without insuring the gun is ~$15, if he is charging you another $35 then your FFL is fucking you.  I shipped a gun for a customer 2 weeks ago with $1400 insurance and it was less than $30 to ship.

ETA: We do not charge to ship a gun for someone, all we are doing is signing it in and then dispo'ing it out and then mailing it
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Spenny

I already agreed to a price shipped
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]
If it makes you feel better, I have the choice of  UPS hub 25 minutes away or my FFL an hour away.  There are closer gun shops, but he is the only one that doesn't act like I ran over his dog when I need a transfer or something shipped.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like OP needs to drive to a hub or call around to some more FFLs.
If you do decide to do a UPS print/ship and drop off at UPS box or store, if its lost you'll be SOL. Its a gamble. The odds are pretty good though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, that may be the answer.  My worry with just boxing it up and shipping UPS insured (not declaring)  is that if it gets lost they may not pay the claim
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, that may be the answer.  My worry with just boxing it up and shipping UPS insured (not declaring)  is that if it gets lost they may absolutely will not pay the claim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that may be the answer.  My worry with just boxing it up and shipping UPS insured (not declaring)  is that if it gets lost they may absolutely will not pay the claim

Fixed.  Sounds like your problem is your local FFL's charge high transfer fees.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I will never ship another handgun without going thru FFL. I got ass raped by FedEx.

Here are some tips;

1) Dont try and over nite from Friday to Sat - COSTS More

2) Ask about them about insurance and what they charge - I put $600 (was the price of the gun)

3) I had to explain their own policy about shipping handguns and had to explain that I did not have an FFL but an individual can ship to an FFL/Dealer, of course she had to go check with her boss. Apparently no one at this FedEx hub ever shipped a handgun before.

Total cost $140. to over nite a handgun. I didnt have the time to go to UPS, I sent it off. I broke even on the deal due to shipping cost. NEVER AGAIN !!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you insure it, you have to declare it. Its that simple. Ive had decent luck with Long guns, cuz they dont need to go overnite, its handguns that blow donkey balls to ship. Sadly, my one FFL that I use to ship out of went belly up. $30bux to drop it off to them and they would send it out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too late, you already posted it on the internet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt lie,,if you insure it, you have to list the contents, at any point in the delivery system they can open it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Just talked to the UPS hub.  $130 to ship.  WTF  Looks like the FFL is the only way to go.  Lucky it was a high dollar gun. I guess you can't sell a $400 gun online as an individual if you have to ship as there is no way to break even let alone make a profit.  This has been a real education.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#31]
You can send it UPS/FedEx thru a hub.  All you have to do is declare it, not bring up that you need overnight.  The overnight is a company policy.  If the clerk lets you send it ground, then you are covered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Will not let you send it ground.  Must be overnite, adult sig.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Spenny

If I'm told that shipping a firearm out is a flat $25 on the phone, only to find out it's $100+ upon arriving on the store, is that not bait and switch?  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I am a licensee.

If you ship via FEDEX or UPS and violate their tariff, for example by shipping a handgun via ground, you also release them from any and all liability if the gun is damaqged, lost, or stolen in transit.  This is true even if you bought insurance.

I bet the buyer or you would be pissed if this occurred, and it does happen, even with licensee to licensee shipments.

So you need to decide risk of loosing hundreds versus saving $35.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am a licensee.

If you ship via FEDEX or UPS and violate their tariff, for example by shipping a handgun via ground, you also release them from any and all liability if the gun is damaqged, lost, or stolen in transit.  This is true even if you bought insurance.

I bet the buyer or you would be pissed if this occurred, and it does happen, even with licensee to licensee shipments.

So you need to decide risk of loosing hundreds versus saving $35.
View Quote

Agreed, going through the FFL,  too much at stake to risk it.  This gun cant be replaced easily.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Find a better FFL
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

Yeah but he's charging for it twice. $25 to transfer and $10 for his time? Then $50 for USPS shipping?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I pretty much got out of the shipping a handgun business when UPS told me it had to go overnight, just to damn expensive, I would not try to ship without declaring what it is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah but he's charging for it twice. $25 to transfer and $10 for his time? Then $50 for USPS shipping?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 to transfer
$10 his time
$50 shipping

$85.00 to ship a handgun

Correct there is no "transfer "  in the typical sense, all he's doing is writing down the serial # and the recieving FFL's #
Takes about 30 seconds,  I'd do a 100 per day for $10.00 each
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Correct there is no "transfer "  in the typical sense, all he's doing is writing down the serial # and the recieving FFL's #
Takes about 30 seconds,  I'd do a 100 per day for $10.00 each
View Quote

Then why aren't you in this business?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I pretty much got out of the shipping a handgun business when UPS told me it had to go overnight, just to damn expensive, I would not try to ship without declaring what it is.
View Quote

UPS requires 2nd day air but for a normal handgun it can go USPS priority insured for $15 or less pretty much anywhere. Figure $20 if you can find a dealer that isn't completely trying to screw you over and you've got $35 in shipping.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just talked to the UPS hub.  $130 to ship.  WTF  Looks like the FFL is the only way to go.  Lucky it was a high dollar gun. I guess you can't sell a $400 gun online as an individual if you have to ship as there is no way to break even let alone make a profit.  This has been a real education.
View Quote

Now you see why the buyer was so willing to buy the gun off of you at the agreed upon shipped price.
What you assumed was a good deal for you turned out to be a great deal for him after shipping was included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top