Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 2:01:00 AM EDT
No flashlight forum here, so here is my question.  I use a Streamlight Stinger LED rechargeable light for my main light, but I need a backup flashlight and it should battery operated since I want it to be ready always. My research seems to indicate that 123A batteries are the most powerful ones that are in a a small package so I'll go with those.  Also, less that $80 would be nice.  My two contenders are:

Fenix PD35, high lumens, lots of great reviews, but not really known to be a LE brand what with Surefire and Streamlight dominating the market.

Fenix PD35

Streamlight ProTac HL, 600 lumens, but has the Streamlight name, good stuff.

Streamlight ProTac HL

Does anyone have either of these lights and could give me a review of them????

BTW: I can't believe how expensive some of the other flashlights are, holy shit!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had a PD32 for a few years and it's now dated, but the 2014 PD35 with XM-L2 has a decent emitter.  There's also the PD32 UE (ultimate edition,) but I don't know how that exactly differs from the 2014 PD35.

Streamlight and Surefire are well known and excellent brands for .mil and LEOs, but they're very dated in what they can do compared to some other lights on the market.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend a 4sevens light.  Either of the following would be pretty good options, and I have the 2xAA version of the first linked light, and my dad has the 2xCR123 turbo x version.  I would also recommend getting the shrouded tailcap for accidental activation protection.  The Turbo line has longer range and the pro line is more compact.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/QB2L-AE

http://www.foursevens.com/products/QP2L-AE
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The intended purpose of the light would help?

Either way, I would only get a light that you can primarily run on 18650 rechargeable cells. These are more powerful than two cr123s but take up the same amount of room and you can still use cr123s as backups if you want or need to.

Any Fenix or Nitecore light that has the features you want will serve you well. I bought my first Fenix around 2008 and it's still going strong. My current favorite brand is Nitecore though. They are really pushing technology and advanced features in a mass produced light.

If this is for duty usage, I would look at lights in the 1000+ lumen range. Nobody complains about " to much light" when looking for bad guys at night.

If you do decide to get a 18650 battery light, you want 3100 - 3400 Mha batteries for super duper long run time.

All the common Surefire, blah, blah normal LE lights are way........... behind in technology and way.......... over priced for what you get.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Either way, I would only get a light that you can primarily run on 18650 rechargeable cells. These are more powerful than two cr123s but take up the same amount of room and you can still use cr123s as backups if you want or need to.

Any Fenix or Nitecore light that has the features you want will serve you well. I bought my first Fenix around 2008 and it's still going strong. My current favorite brand is Nitecore though. They are really pushing technology and advanced features in a mass produced light.

If this is for duty usage, I would look at lights in the 1000+ lumen range. Nobody complains about " to much light" when looking for bad guys at night.

If you do decide to get a 18650 battery light, you want 3100 - 3400 Mha batteries for super duper long run time.

All the common Surefire, blah, blah normal LE lights are way........... behind in technology and way.......... over priced for what you get.
View Quote

This is for patrol, nights.  My Stinger sometimes dies on me and having a battery operated backup in my bag next to me or clipped to by cargo pocket seems like a good thing. That Fenix PD35 is 960 lumens.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the Fenix PD35 on duty and it works wonders! My main light is a Streamlight Stringer DS led.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would recommend a 4sevens light.  Either of the following would be pretty good options, and I have the 2xAA version of the first linked light, and my dad has the 2xCR123 turbo x version.  I would also recommend getting the shrouded tailcap for accidental activation protection.  The Turbo line has longer range and the pro line is more compact.

View Quote

My favorite light I owned so far was my 4sevens Quark Turbo before I murdered it with fire. Oops

My favorite feature was twisting the head of the light 1/4 turn to change between modes like low/ high.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
EDIT
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
protac HL all day long. I have two of these and they are insanely bright. Even had one mounted on my colt for a while. Excellent light.

I looked into it once for a split second. I had a spot on my eye until I fell asleep.

Strobe feature is awesome and intuitive. Great price too. It's definitely not lying about the 600 lumens.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Fenix TK22 I use at work, it's been great.  I have a smaller Fenix I use daily not at work.  Fenix is GTG in my book.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had a PD32 for a few years and it's now dated, but the 2014 PD35 with XM-L2 has a decent emitter.  There's also the PD32 UE (ultimate edition,) but I don't know how that exactly differs from the 2014 PD35.

Streamlight and Surefire are well known and excellent brands for .mil and LEOs, but they're very dated in what they can do compared to some other lights on the market.

Chris

View Quote

I have a Fenix PD32. It's a sweet little light. It lasts forever on an 18650, so long as I keep it off the highest brightness setting. The highest setting is scary bright, especially for the light's size. It's been dropped on concrete, and submerged in water several times. Despite the dents and dings, it continues to work. I love how light it is too. That's a definite plus for hiking or hunting use. I always keep some vaseline on the O-rings. I think that was a good decision.

Brighter lights mean shorter battery life, and the high current draw  stress out the cells and chemistry of your batteries. This may lead to a shorter battery lifespan. Plus with lithium batteries, I'd rather not push too many limits. I avoid the lumens arms race. My PD32 is just too bright to use on it's highest setting. It's almost like a mini spot light. It will absolutely destroy your night vision. Your pupils will hate you. Best believe...

The only streamlight I have ever owned was a AAA pen light stylus thing. It was a great back up light for crawling in attics, hiking, etc.

Despite the fact that maglites are 1950's technology, and they suck in comparison to any new light, they do have a definite advantage in some situations. They make a great bed side table light, or a truck light. They're easily replaced if lost, and if you have the pressing need, you can seriously tenderise some angus in a very short time frame. If I'm passing through sketchy areas, some times I will stuff my 2d maglite inbetween the truck seat and center console, right in front of the seat belt buckle. It's just a flashlight, officer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's going to be clipped in a pocket, I'd look for a slimmer light that isn't as bulky. I've started to ween myself off of lights that use CR123 and started switching to lights that use AA's for my back up lights. I get a lot more battery life out of AA's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is for patrol, nights.  My Stinger sometimes dies on me and having a battery operated backup in my bag next to me or clipped to by cargo pocket seems like a good thing. That Fenix PD35 is 960 lumens.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For that purpose, I would get this light http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-TK35-ULTIMATE-EDITION-LUMENS/dp/B00JNI54WO

I have the original version with less output and it's still my favorite all around light. It's built super tuff, not overly complicated to use and just plane bad ass! Run time is amazing with some good 3400Mha 18650 cells (2). You can even run it on (2) cr123s if needed but that will pretty much never be an issue.

You can get it and batteries/charger for 15% off at this place and they are excellent to do business with. http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-tk35ue-mtg2.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The folks over at Malkoff devices make a fantastic product!  Their drop-in LED conversions and their flashlights are made in America, covered by a lifetime warranty, and are built like a brick shithouse.  I have a drop-in conversion for my Surefire 6p as well as a single AA flashlight of their own manufacture.  When I had a question about their product line, I called and talked to Gene Malkoff himself at length and he was both knowledgeable and forthcoming about his products.  The quality and service provided by Malkoff Devices is second to none in my experience.  

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/malkoff-devices-flashlights/malkoff-mdc-flashlights-parts/mdc-ha-1cr123-flashlight
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I highly recommend you read through selfbuilt's 18650/cr123 battery flashlight recommendations. His reviews are probably the most thorough around.

http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/recommend.html#2xAA

Some of the best top picks on the market now include the "legoable" American made Malkoff lights. Malkoff's lights are highly customizable and well priced for what you get. His customer service is some of the best of any manufacturers.

Additionally, for ultra high lumens lights, look into the 2015 edition Nitecore p12, Fenix PD35, Eagletac G25C2-II with diffuser kit, Olight m22 warrior,  Klarus xt11, and 4sevens quark and maelstromm lights.  

You can't go wrong with any of these lights. It comes down to which UI you prefer.

I'd give the slight nod to the 4sevens quark (which is legoable) and fenix or nitecore for slim light. The fenix and nitecore are very similar with a tail switch and body mounted mode switch. The 4sevens has a rotating head for mode switching.

If you want more throw with a strike bezel, look at the klarus xt11, eagletac g25c2-II, or olight m22 with a nod toward eagletac.

The klarus xt11 has both the primary activation and mode switching buttons on the tail if you prefer that.

The Nitecore p12 was on sale on Amazon for around 50$ for 1000 lumens the other day.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The Fenix is the way to go. I work night shift and carry it confidently every night in my left cargo pocket. Buy it and be happy. I've had the 4 sevens, and other brands mentioned above. I like the Fenix the best.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I have nothing to really add but I've got a 2014 PD35 and love it. I use a rechargeable 18650 for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Four Sevens
Right now 20-50% off
I own 3 and just ordered 2 more
all CR123, RCR123 and 17650.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
protac HL all day long. I have two of these and they are insanely bright. Even had one mounted on my colt for a while. Excellent light.

I looked into it once for a split second. I had a spot on my eye until I fell asleep.

Strobe feature is awesome and intuitive. Great price too. It's definitely not lying about the 600 lumens.
View Quote

Its a great light. Its my main backup to a primary stinger. If im jot mistaken the 600 lumen model is still available but you can get the new version which is 1100 lumens and still be in your price range. A buddy has it and its bright as all hell. Also, I have a PT2L that has been in my pocket as a back up to my back up and every day just going out light for almost 6 years. Its bright enough for just about anything you need to get yourself out of and I believe you can find them for about 30-40 bucks now. If you are wearing an alpha or bravo style uniform the protac hl may be harder to find a place for. It was bigger than I had expected. The PT2L fits perfect on a pocket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#19]
For the money Fenix. If money is not an issue Surefire...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Alright, I just ordered 2 Fenix PD35s from LAPG (had a discount coupon too), so we'll see how I like them.  

Hard to move away from Streamlight/Surefire for some reason but I'm trying something new.  

The two CR123 battery lights seem to be the "sweetspot" for compact, hi-intensity lights.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Fenix is the way to go. I work night shift and carry it confidently every night in my left cargo pocket. Buy it and be happy. I've had the 4 sevens, and other brands mentioned above. I like the Fenix the best.
View Quote

Thanks, I hope I feel the same way after I get the PD35.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top