BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This sucker will be locked by tomorrow after breakfast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen prayers answered by miracles and people moved by the hand of God. I still dont believe Jesus changed the old laws.

Care to tell us about the miracles?

I will, If it is okay with the OP. But I will have to do it tomorrow or the next day so subscribe to this thread. I dont mean to leave you hanging, and this wound be a safe thread post.

If it is I will make a post of it on its own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen prayers answered by miracles and people moved by the hand of God. I still dont believe Jesus changed the old laws.

I will, If it is okay with the OP. But I will have to do it tomorrow or the next day so subscribe to this thread. I dont mean to leave you hanging, and this wound be a safe thread post.

Nah, I think both sides lost the most venomous trolls a while back.  The last abortion thread that I argued in went 7 pages before I got bored, and there wasn't a single personal attack from either camp.  I was proud.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then why do they have different names?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?

I think jesus and god are the same.

Father, son, and holy ghost. Or something like that

Assuming you're a smart guy (you are a Swede, after all), and that this question is sincere, I recommend Paradox in Christian Theology: An Analysis of Its Presence, Character, and Epistemic Status by Dr. James Anderson.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK ... In.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.
View Quote

Reconcile this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

snip

"Because it all leads up to why Jesus had to come.  That's all there is to it."

And I understand that, which is why it's baffling to me when Christian's try and use for justifications of things like denying gays the right to marry.
View Quote

St. Paul spoke against homosexuality (among other things).   It isn't just the OT.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
In for Christ....love to participate tonight but I can't.  Have to get the house ready.  The wife is having about 10 Muslim women over for a Christmas tea in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

St. Paul spoke against homosexuality (among other things).   It isn't just the OT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

And I understand that, which is why it's baffling to me when Christian's try and use for justifications of things like denying gays the right to marry.

To quote Sam Kinnison, paraphrasing Pope John Paull II, "Suck a dick, lose the Kingdom, Romans 1."

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You I'm going to bet will be 'extra crispy'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
SNIP

I typed about ten different responses to this and deleted them all. I literally can't find the words to describe the very small subset of religious folks on this board who seem to relish the thought of their "opponents" going to hell.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?
View Quote
Yes.

By most reasonable definitions Satan is a god as well.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To quote Sam Kinnison, paraphrasing Pope John Paull II, "Suck a dick, lose the Kingdom, Romans 1."

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Ah, so thats like the one OT law that slipped through... None of the other ones apply though. They can be ignored.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]
What in the holy fuck did i just read?
Quoted:
19 "Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. If you touch her during that time, you will be defiled until evening. 20 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled. 21 If you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening. 22 The same applies if you touch an object on which she sits, 23 whether it is her bedding or any piece of furniture. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her during this time, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain defiled for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be defiled." 25 "If the menstrual flow of blood continues for many days beyond the normal period, or if she discharges blood unrelated to her menstruation, the woman will be ceremonially unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled, just as it would be during her normal menstrual period. 27 If you touch her bed or anything on which she sits, you will be defiled. You will be required to wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening." 28 "When the woman's menstrual discharge stops, she must count off a period of seven days. After that, she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day, she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a whole burnt offering. In this way, the priest will make atonement for her before the LORD for her menstrual discharge." 31 "In this way, you will keep the people of Israel separate from things that will defile them, so they will not die as a result of defiling my Tabernacle that is right there among them. 32 These are the instructions for dealing with a man who has been defiled by a genital discharge or an emission of semen; 33 for dealing with a woman during her monthly menstrual period; for dealing with anyone, man or woman, who has had a bodily discharge of any kind; and for dealing with a man who has had intercourse with a woman during her period."
Leviticus 15:19-33
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because he loves us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would a perfect being with infinite power create a hell with the foreknowledge, and therefore the intent, that most of mankind would be tortured there forever?

Because he loves us?

Because he knew there would be the FSA one day.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 "Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. If you touch her during that time, you will be defiled until evening. 20 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled. 21 If you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening. 22 The same applies if you touch an object on which she sits, 23 whether it is her bedding or any piece of furniture. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her during this time, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain defiled for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be defiled." 25 "If the menstrual flow of blood continues for many days beyond the normal period, or if she discharges blood unrelated to her menstruation, the woman will be ceremonially unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled, just as it would be during her normal menstrual period. 27 If you touch her bed or anything on which she sits, you will be defiled. You will be required to wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening." 28 "When the woman's menstrual discharge stops, she must count off a period of seven days. After that, she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day, she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a whole burnt offering. In this way, the priest will make atonement for her before the LORD for her menstrual discharge." 31 "In this way, you will keep the people of Israel separate from things that will defile them, so they will not die as a result of defiling my Tabernacle that is right there among them. 32 These are the instructions for dealing with a man who has been defiled by a genital discharge or an emission of semen; 33 for dealing with a woman during her monthly menstrual period; for dealing with anyone, man or woman, who has had a bodily discharge of any kind; and for dealing with a man who has had intercourse with a woman during her period."
Leviticus 15:19-33

An old testament law on how to treat a woman on her period.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mary gave birth to little baby Jesus, Jesus is the lamb of God.

Thus Mary had a little lamb.

Good chruch joke for ya.
View Quote
'''

and His fleece was white as snow!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The problem isn't whether what you say happened or didn't but the complete inability to prove it.

I'm still on the fence on this one. Nobody can cite an appropriate authority to say who's actually correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem isn't whether what you say happened or didn't but the complete inability to prove it.

I'm still on the fence on this one. Nobody can cite an appropriate authority to say who's actually correct.

Don't you think the two sentences in your reply are related?

I can explain from a historical viewpoint why mainstream Christianity no longer follows Jewish Law (there was a  struggle between Paul and James over who is and isn't a Christian and James trying to force all of Paul's gentile recruits to obey Jewish law, including getting circumcised)  

I can also explain from a religious viewpoint that Paul was a prophet and the authority to free his recruits from the requirements of Jewish law came to him from Jesus in the same way all prophets get there marching orders: inspiration from God.

The problem is the only evidence for either explanation is the Bible, which won't convince you (not should it imo,  you aren't a believer and it requires faith).

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol love that album

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I typed about ten different responses to this and deleted them all. I literally can't find the words to describe the very small subset of religious folks on this board who seem to relish the thought of their "opponents" going to hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

some of that is just Christians engaging in fuckery with non-Christians who are engaging in fuckery with them.  

If you want serious conversation about religion, use the religious forum.  

eta: if Gunwritr is serious, he may be in for quite a shock when Jesus returns....

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, not even fucking close for those that weren't picked last in Debate Class.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ah, so thats like the one OT law that slipped through... None of the other ones apply though. They can be ignored.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

No, plenty of OT laws still apply.

Murder is still bad

Theft is still bad

etc...

Circumcision was a sign of the old covenant and Jesus made a new covenant, so it isn't  necessary.   I was raised Church of Christ and was circumcised shortly after birth, but it was a cultural thing, not a religious one.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Murder is still bad
Theft is still bad
etc...

Circumcision was a sign of the old covenant and Jesus made a new covenant, so it isn't  necessary.   I was raised Church of Christ and was circumcised shortly after birth, but it was a cultural thing, not a religious one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Murder is still bad
Theft is still bad
etc...

So the Ten Commandments and no gay sex. That's it. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can explain from a historical viewpoint why mainstream Christianity no longer follows Jewish Law (there was a  struggle between Paul and James over who is and isn't a Christian and James trying to force all of Paul's gentile recruits to obey Jewish law, including getting circumcised)  

I can also explain from a religious viewpoint that Paul was a prophet and the authority to free his recruits from the requirements of Jewish law came to him from Jesus in the same way all prophets get there marching orders: inspiration from God.

The problem is the only evidence for either explanation is the Bible, which won't convince you (not should it imo,  you aren't a believer and it requires faith).

It's like I discussed with my best friend, the half Cajun, half Jew member of the growing Done community.

Authority is the problem. The only authority we can both work with is the church, which church has the greatest authority regarding the particulars of the Bible?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It's like I discussed with my best friend, the half Cajun, half Jew member of the growing Done community.

Authority is the problem. The only authority we can both work with is the church, which church has the greatest authority regarding the particulars of the Bible?

View Quote

I'd say the Catholic Church, but none of the Protestants would agree with me.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

I've noticed in a few religious themed threads, he seems to take pleasure in fire & brimstone of those that don't believe in what he believes.

I wish people would leave the snarky comments to themselves.

Finally, GD does not represent what people believe in.  Only what a few outspoken registered members believe in.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Jews, who are sort of experts on Hebrew, say there is only one God, and to suggest that he has a son and that this son is also God, is a blasphemy.  Interestingly enough, all of the parts of the bible that Christians cite as prophesizing the coming of Jesus, the Jews translate differently.  There Messiah will be a man.  One heck of a man, but just a man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's kinda simply complicated.

The word God in Hebrew is "The One God who is plural".....

His universe-His rules.

The Jews, who are sort of experts on Hebrew, say there is only one God, and to suggest that he has a son and that this son is also God, is a blasphemy.  Interestingly enough, all of the parts of the bible that Christians cite as prophesizing the coming of Jesus, the Jews translate differently.  There Messiah will be a man.  One heck of a man, but just a man.

Let them be, being that it is the season of their holiday we should have a measure of respect.

For the record, I do not mock or feel sorry or take pride in poking at followers of Paul's religion and JC.

Just ponder how the times have changed, not long ago when the "Church" facilitated the great disputations between leading Jewish rabbis and church theologians the outcomes were often detrimental for the Jews who were often forced to convert, exiled from their country and their arguments and religious manuscripts burned. Debates today are much different if may say considering there are no threats of mass conversion or injury to the community. Most people cannot even begin to appreciate the magnitude of what the history of the Church has had on Jewish life and of the perception of Christendom.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

For people who supposedly take their faith and their task (bringing people to Christ and generally being Christ-like) so seriously, these comments seem pretty common.

Do you really expect nonbelievers to respect you or your faith when you make such a flippant remark about something that is supposed to be a big deal?

"You had better believe what I do or God is going to subject you to excruciating torture forever. Hahahahahahahaha!"

Really? That is the exact shit that makes people mock Christianity.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Uniqueness of Christ

There has never been another person like Jesus Christ. All the New Testament underscores that, repeatedly stressing Jesus’ deity. But let me point to one passage in particular, written by the apostle Paul, which captures the essence of Jesus’ divine nature. These are the truths that make Christmas truly wonderful:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven. (Colossians 1:15-20)

The Rest Of The Story

View Quote

To be fair, there has never been another person like me, or you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:31:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
C.S. Lewis on the Trinity and Theology

Now the Christian account of God involves just the same principle. The human level is a simple and rather empty level. On the human level one person is one being, and any two persons are two separate beings - just as, in two dimensions (say on a flat sheet of paper) one square is one figure, and any two squares are two separate figures. On the Divine level you still find personalities; but up there you find them combined in new ways which we, who do not live on that level, cannot imagine. In God's dimension, so to speak, you find a being who is three Persons while remaining one Being, just as a cube is six squares while remaining one cube. Of course we cannot fully conceive a Being like that: just as, if we were so made that we perceived only two dimensions in space we could never properly imagine a cube. But we can get a sort of faint notion of it. And when we do, we are then, for the first time in our lives, getting some positive idea, however faint, of something super-personal - something more than a person. It is something we could never have guessed, and yet, once we have been told, one almost feels one ought to have been able to guess it because it fits in so well with all the things we know already.
You may ask, 'if we cannot imagine a three-personal Being, what is the good of talking about Him?' Well, there isn't any good talking about Him. The thing that matters is being actually drawn into that three-personal life, and that may begin any time - to-night, if you like.
What I mean is this. An ordinary simple Christian kneels down to say his prayers. He is trying to get into touch with God. But if he is a Christian he knows that what is prompting him to pray is also God: God, so to speak, inside him. But he also knows that all his real knowledge of God comes through Christ, the Man who was God - that Christ is standing beside him, helping him to pray, praying for him. You see what is happening. God is the thing to which he is praying the goal he is trying to reach. God is also the thing inside him which is pushing him on - the motive power. God is also the road or bridge along which he is being pushed to that goal. So that the whole threefold life of the three-personal Being is actually going on in that ordinary little bedroom where an ordinary man is saying his prayers. The man is being caught up into the higher kinds of life - what I called Zoe or spiritual life: he is being pulled into God, by God, while still remaining himself.
View Quote

Damn. That's way better than your other explanation, or any others I have heard, ever.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Jesus was married
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#36]
n
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

How about:

Self righteous vindictive hypocrites?

I think that fits

ETA:  

Or call them:

Fucking assholes....  

That fits too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

n
How about:

I think that fits

ETA:  

Or call them:

Fucking assholes....  

That fits too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

n

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

How about:

I think that fits

ETA:  

Or call them:

Fucking assholes....  

That fits too.

Most theologians would think of you all as uneducated simpletons.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:37:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It might mean one swede is ignoring 2k years of theology and wars over the subject :)

No offense but thousands of people go into college in the U.S. and around the world go to real college over this subject and to them this makes perfect sense. It just takes some lead in. :)
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Assuming you're a smart guy (you are a Swede, after all), and that this question is sincere, I recommend Paradox in Christian Theology: An Analysis of Its Presence, Character, and Epistemic Status by Dr. James Anderson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll look it up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It might mean one swede is ignoring 2k years of theology and wars over the subject :)

No offense but thousands of people go into college in the U.S. and around the world go to real college over this subject and to them this makes perfect sense. It just takes some lead in. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like people ignore the obvious implications of the Trinity.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Some people are really hateful. I pity them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#42]
In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God had some words about prophets who tried to change the law.

Deuteronomy 13
1. Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.
2. If there will arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of a dream, and he gives you a sign or a wonder,
3. and the sign or the wonder of which he spoke to you happens, [and he] says, "Let us go after other gods which you have not known, and let us worship them,"  
4. you shall not heed the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream; for the Lord, your God, is testing you, to know whether you really love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.
5. You shall follow the Lord, your God, fear Him, keep His commandments, heed His voice, worship Him, and cleave to Him.
6. And that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream shall be put to death; because he spoke falsehood about the Lord, your God Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and Who redeemed you from the house of bondage, to lead you astray from the way in which the Lord, your God, commanded you to go; so shall you clear away the evil from your midst.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think of an egg; yolk, shell and the white stuff.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Same reason that Abraham's god and Muhammed's have different names. So as to confuse the masses.
View Quote

My wife calls me Michael, my co workers call me Mike, my kids call me Dad. Is it really that confusing to you that someone would be known by more than one name to different people?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My wife calls me Michael, my co workers call me Mike, my kids call me Dad. Is it really that confusing to you that someone would be known by more than one name to different people?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reason that Abraham's god and Muhammed's have different names. So as to confuse the masses.

You have to remember that the Book of Atheism isn't a very long one..............page one says "There is no God"...............page two says "The End".
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But on page 2 T1NMAN said that each part was fully God, and not just a part of God.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for that, OP. Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But on page 2 T1NMAN said that each part was fully God, and not just a part of God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that each of the whole gods was not a separate god, conveniently keeping everything monotheistic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

"You don't believe in the correct version of the fairy tale story, so you are going to burn in hell for eternity"  
I love it.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top