Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's very simple, so simple a child could understand it

God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit
Three distinct parts of the whole

Similar to an egg, where you have a shell, yoke and white. Three parts but one egg.

But none of this matters to you, now does it. You are just an unbeliever with
a closed mind.....LOL.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?

It's kinda simply complicated.

The word God in Hebrew is "The One God who is plural".....

His universe-His rules.

Seems like there's a bunch of deities in Christianity. There's Yaweh, the holy ghost, Jesus, Satan, and then all the saints who are demi-gods.

Similar to an egg, where you have a shell, yoke and white. Three parts but one egg.

So you wanna eat your cake and keep it too?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Allegedly.
View Quote

Ha LOOKIE, its Arfcom's resident GD troll....LOL

people like you even give atheists a bad name.........
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm genuinely curious how you can consider it monotheistic when it's obviously polytheistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?

His universe-His rules.

Seems like there's a bunch of deities in Christianity. There's Yaweh, the holy ghost, Jesus, Satan, and then all the saints who are demi-gods.

Are you just trolling or do you not really understand the Christian concept of a triune God? This is one of the defining concepts of Christianity and one of the reason why Unitarians are often not considered Christian.

I'm genuinely curious how you can consider it monotheistic when it's obviously polytheistic.

FLANDERS:  But there's only one God.  Well, sometimes three.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His universe-His rules.

You I'm going to bet will be 'extra crispy'
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And that's my question, if they aren't meant to apply to Christian's, why include them in the Christian Bible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 "Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. If you touch her during that time, you will be defiled until evening. 20 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled. 21 If you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening. 22 The same applies if you touch an object on which she sits, 23 whether it is her bedding or any piece of furniture. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her during this time, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain defiled for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be defiled." 25 "If the menstrual flow of blood continues for many days beyond the normal period, or if she discharges blood unrelated to her menstruation, the woman will be ceremonially unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled, just as it would be during her normal menstrual period. 27 If you touch her bed or anything on which she sits, you will be defiled. You will be required to wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening." 28 "When the woman's menstrual discharge stops, she must count off a period of seven days. After that, she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day, she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a whole burnt offering. In this way, the priest will make atonement for her before the LORD for her menstrual discharge." 31 "In this way, you will keep the people of Israel separate from things that will defile them, so they will not die as a result of defiling my Tabernacle that is right there among them. 32 These are the instructions for dealing with a man who has been defiled by a genital discharge or an emission of semen; 33 for dealing with a woman during her monthly menstrual period; for dealing with anyone, man or woman, who has had a bodily discharge of any kind; and for dealing with a man who has had intercourse with a woman during her period."
Leviticus 15:19-33

Are you a Jew living in Pre-Christ Israel?

And now for the rest of the Story.

Luke 8

As Jesus went, the people pressed around him. 43And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians,e she could not be healed by anyone. 44She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased. 45And Jesus said, “Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peterf said, “Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!” 46But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.” 47And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”

Serious question, if the laws of the Old Testament don't apply to Christian's, why are they in the Christian Bible?

Because they are part of why Jesus was sent to Earth - to do away with the old law.

We aren't meant to live by the laws of the old testament.

And that's my question, if they aren't meant to apply to Christian's, why include them in the Christian Bible?

Because it all leads up to why Jesus had to come.  That's all there is to it.  Man was not meant to have to live under the law, but the original sin made it necessary.  But Jesus did away with what the original sin caused.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Let the Beauty that we Love be what we Do
There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Serious question, if the laws of the Old Testament don't apply to Christian's, why are they in the Christian Bible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 "Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. If you touch her during that time, you will be defiled until evening. 20 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled. 21 If you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening. 22 The same applies if you touch an object on which she sits, 23 whether it is her bedding or any piece of furniture. 24 If a man has sexual intercourse with her during this time, her menstrual impurity will be transmitted to him. He will remain defiled for seven days, and any bed on which he lies will be defiled." 25 "If the menstrual flow of blood continues for many days beyond the normal period, or if she discharges blood unrelated to her menstruation, the woman will be ceremonially unclean as long as the discharge continues. 26 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled, just as it would be during her normal menstrual period. 27 If you touch her bed or anything on which she sits, you will be defiled. You will be required to wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening." 28 "When the woman's menstrual discharge stops, she must count off a period of seven days. After that, she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day, she must bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons and present them to the priest at the entrance of the Tabernacle. 30 The priest will offer one for a sin offering and the other for a whole burnt offering. In this way, the priest will make atonement for her before the LORD for her menstrual discharge." 31 "In this way, you will keep the people of Israel separate from things that will defile them, so they will not die as a result of defiling my Tabernacle that is right there among them. 32 These are the instructions for dealing with a man who has been defiled by a genital discharge or an emission of semen; 33 for dealing with a woman during her monthly menstrual period; for dealing with anyone, man or woman, who has had a bodily discharge of any kind; and for dealing with a man who has had intercourse with a woman during her period."

Luke 8

As Jesus went, the people pressed around him. 43And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians,e she could not be healed by anyone. 44She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased. 45And Jesus said, “Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peterf said, “Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!” 46But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.” 47And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”

To expose sin and show us that it is impossible to please God on our own, hence the messiah, also known as Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Because they are part of why Jesus was sent to Earth - to do away with the old law.

We aren't meant to live by the laws of the old testament.  Jesus Himself said so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luke 8

As Jesus went, the people pressed around him. 43And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians,e she could not be healed by anyone. 44She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased. 45And Jesus said, "Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peterf said, "Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!” 46But Jesus said, "Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.” 47And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48And he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”

We aren't meant to live by the laws of the old testament.  Jesus Himself said so.

There were many types of laws and feast, festivals etc. that were nailed to the cross at Jesus' death. God's law ie the Ten Commandments was never done away with in the New Testament. Jesus said as much. ymmv

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's the Christian love we all know.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
snip

"Because it all leads up to why Jesus had to come.  That's all there is to it."

And I understand that, which is why it's baffling to me when Christian's try and use for justifications of things like denying gays the right to marry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Uniqueness of Christ

There has never been another person like Jesus Christ. All the New Testament underscores that, repeatedly stressing Jesus’ deity. But let me point to one passage in particular, written by the apostle Paul, which captures the essence of Jesus’ divine nature. These are the truths that make Christmas truly wonderful:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven. (Colossians 1:15-20)

The Rest Of The Story

View Quote

Thank You, Sir, for posting that at a most opportune (for me) time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Summary of Trinity from John Piper

Let us quickly review what we have seen.
1. The Trinity is not belief in three gods. There is only one God, and we must never stray from this.
2. This one God exists as three Persons.
3. The three Persons are not each part of God, but are each fully God and equally God. Within God's one undivided being there is an unfolding into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three Persons. The distinctions within the Godhead are not distinctions of His essence and neither are they something added on to His essence, but they are the unfolding of God's one, undivided being into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three real Persons.
4. God is not one person who took three consecutive roles. That is the heresy of modalism. The Father did not become the Son and then the Holy Spirit. Instead, there have always been and always will be three distinct persons in the Godhead.
5. The Trinity is not a contradiction because God is not three in the same way that He is one. God is one in essence, three in Person.
ApplicationThe Trinity is first of all important because God is important. To understand more fully what God is like is a way of honoring God. Further, we should allow the fact that God is triune to deepen our worship. We exist to worship God. And God seeks people to worship Him in "spirit and truth" (John 4:24). Therefore we must always endeavor to deepen our worship of God-in truth as well as in our hearts.
The Trinity has a very significant application to prayer. The general pattern of prayer in the Bible is to pray to the Father through the Son and in the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 2:18). Our fellowship with God should be enhanced by consciously knowing that we are relating to a tri-personal God!
Awareness of the distinct role that each Person of the Trinity has in our salvation can especially serve to give us greater comfort and appreciation for God in our prayers, as well as helping us to be specific in directing our prayers. Nonetheless, while recognizing the distinct roles that each Person has, we should never think of their roles as so separate that the other Persons are not involved. Rather, everything that one Person is involved in, the other two are also involved in, one way or another.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Luke 8

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luke 8

So Because jesus magic fixed a chicks gyneco-problems when she got to close to Jesus, accidentally all women are made clean during their periods?

Am I the only one who doesn't get the logical leap there?

Jesus walked on water and turned water into wine, Jesus is special yo. Jesus can't be made unclean like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
C.S. Lewis on the Trinity and Theology

Now the Christian account of God involves just the same principle. The human level is a simple and rather empty level. On the human level one person is one being, and any two persons are two separate beings - just as, in two dimensions (say on a flat sheet of paper) one square is one figure, and any two squares are two separate figures. On the Divine level you still find personalities; but up there you find them combined in new ways which we, who do not live on that level, cannot imagine. In God's dimension, so to speak, you find a being who is three Persons while remaining one Being, just as a cube is six squares while remaining one cube. Of course we cannot fully conceive a Being like that: just as, if we were so made that we perceived only two dimensions in space we could never properly imagine a cube. But we can get a sort of faint notion of it. And when we do, we are then, for the first time in our lives, getting some positive idea, however faint, of something super-personal - something more than a person. It is something we could never have guessed, and yet, once we have been told, one almost feels one ought to have been able to guess it because it fits in so well with all the things we know already.
You may ask, 'if we cannot imagine a three-personal Being, what is the good of talking about Him?' Well, there isn't any good talking about Him. The thing that matters is being actually drawn into that three-personal life, and that may begin any time - to-night, if you like.
What I mean is this. An ordinary simple Christian kneels down to say his prayers. He is trying to get into touch with God. But if he is a Christian he knows that what is prompting him to pray is also God: God, so to speak, inside him. But he also knows that all his real knowledge of God comes through Christ, the Man who was God - that Christ is standing beside him, helping him to pray, praying for him. You see what is happening. God is the thing to which he is praying the goal he is trying to reach. God is also the thing inside him which is pushing him on - the motive power. God is also the road or bridge along which he is being pushed to that goal. So that the whole threefold life of the three-personal Being is actually going on in that ordinary little bedroom where an ordinary man is saying his prayers. The man is being caught up into the higher kinds of life - what I called Zoe or spiritual life: he is being pulled into God, by God, while still remaining himself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
snip

And I understand that, which is why it's baffling to me when Christian's try and use for justifications of things like denying gays the right to marry.
View Quote

Even though homosexuals don't need to be stoned, marriage is still between a man and a woman.  It's always meant that.  Why should something that is precious to so many people be changed simply because gays are butthurt that they can have the same exact rights as a heterosexual couple but not have it legally called "marriage?"  Let the term "marriage," the definition of which is very important to millions of people, keep its meaning, and not let a bunch of politically-charged crybabies change it just to feel like they let 'em have it for disagreeing with them.

Also, let's get the government OUT of marriage!  The government shouldn't be recognizing marriage OR civil unions!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ah...a little Sunday School is good for these fellers.

Besides, bashing Jesus at Christmas unites them with Liberals which reminds us all just a little of Christmas Miracles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just an FYI, these threads usually turn into gnashing of the teeth where the actual OP is long forgotten in favor of arguments over religion as a whole.  I think this would be a good post for the religion subforum.

Ah...a little Sunday School is good for these fellers.

Besides, bashing Jesus at Christmas unites them with Liberals which reminds us all just a little of Christmas Miracles.

Preach it, brother!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA! You are trolling and I am simply telling you the truth.
You don't repent, accept Christ as your Savior then its
Extra Crispy for you. Oh well..........

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, let the butthurt flow through you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
God bless you OP.
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even though homosexuals don't need to be stoned, marriage is still between a man and a woman.  It's always meant that.  Why should something that is precious to so many people be changed simply because gays are butthurt that they can have the same exact rights as a heterosexual couple but not have it legally called "marriage?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Even though homosexuals don't need to be stoned, marriage is still between a man and a woman.  It's always meant that.  Why should something that is precious to so many people be changed simply because gays are butthurt that they can have the same exact rights as a heterosexual couple but not have it legally called "marriage?"

We won't derail this thread to launch into a gay marriage debate, as I doubt either of us will change our minds. But I appreciate you answering my questions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
snip

View Quote

That is an unfortunate byproduct of our county being ruled by people who don't respect the constitution for what it is.  There was a time when Christians abhorred the idea of the US outlawing slavery.  Any honest reading of the Constitution proves them wrong, but foolish bias remains.  There are plenty of non Christians who make the same kinds of mistakes WRT rights.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We won't derail this thread to launch into a gay marriage debate, as I doubt either of us will change our minds. But I appreciate you answering my questions. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my opinion.  Gays can have the same government benefits as straights (though like I said, I think the government should completely butt out of both), but the term "marriage" is only political for the gays, but is deeply personal to those who believe in its divine origin.  Can't we just keep it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, this is what Jesus said about that:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17–19

Not to mention that the Ten Commandments are Old Testament law.

So if you're going to take this religion seriously, you should be out there killing witches, gays, disobedient children, non-vigins, those who worship other gods, and anyone who works on the Sabbath.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This video may help explain things for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLOUWl-L-s
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17–19

So if you're going to take this religion seriously, you should be out there killing witches, gays, disobedient children, non-vigins, those who worship other gods, and anyone who works on the Sabbath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup. People point to stuff jesus did and say the old laws was unmade, as above by the accidental healing of the woman. That aint right. The old law is just as valid as the new/

furthermore if you had ever listened to 4 hours of coadt to coast or anceint aleins you'ed understand why God commanded the curb stomping witches and prophets of other gods and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luke 8

What does the Law do?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Solstice   It's the reason for the season.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For sure...it's the "I love Liberty but not the Biblically based Ethics it's built upon " crowd.
The irony is they hate Communism, Islam and Liberalism...go figure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an FYI, these threads usually turn into gnashing of the teeth where the actual OP is long forgotten in favor of arguments over religion as a whole.  I think this would be a good post for the religion subforum.

Agree.

There's a subset of Arfcommers that wait around just to act like jerks in threads like this.

For sure...it's the "I love Liberty but not the Biblically based Ethics it's built upon " crowd.
The irony is they hate Communism, Islam and Liberalism...go figure.

I don't have a problem with them believing something different than myself.  That's entirely their option - free will and all that.

I have a problem when they understand that for many here, it's a deeply held belief system - as important to them as their relationship to their family.

Many times, their responses aren't to honestly question - but mainly to mock and to try to offend.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my opinion.  Gays can have the same government benefits as straights (though like I said, I think the government should completely butt out of both), but the term "marriage" is only political for the gays, but is deeply personal to those who believe in its divine origin.  Can't we just keep it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Can you prove prior claim?

~196,000 years of pre-Christian history may make that difficult.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is an unfortunate byproduct of our county being ruled by people who don't respect the constitution for what it is.  There was a time when Christians abhorred the idea of the US outlawing slavery.  Any honest reading of the Constitution proves them wrong, but foolish bias remains.  There are plenty of non Christians who make the same kinds of mistakes WRT rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

The abolitionist movement was started by Christians.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Who you will bow down to one day.  Keep that in mind as you live this very short life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Zuel was a god.

Jesus was a carpenter.

Who you will bow down to one day.  Keep that in mind as you live this very short life.

You'd think he would have left some concrete proof in order to save more people. He must have known that some people wouldn't be satisfied with stories that sometimes contradict each other. I mean, if the goal is to save souls, why the mystery? Why not just be up front about it? Maybe pop in every few years to let people know that he is real?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but there would be easier ways to save people without relying on one group's ability to convince everybody else that some old stories are real, despite the contradictions and logical problems.

And please don't try to tell me that "there are no contradictions, you just don't understand scripture." I can point a few out, but that isn't the point of this post.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let the Beauty that we Love be what we Do
There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground
View Quote

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”- Jesus

John 14
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you don't know what you are talking about
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's a subset of Arfcommers that wait around just to act like jerks in threads like this.
View Quote

Do you really mean to say that disagreement is, by definition, acting like a jerk?

I hope not.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:The abolitionist movement was started by Christians.  
View Quote

Odd, the Bible advocates slavery.

Leviticus 25:44-46:

"As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness."
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

And opposed by others who were equally devout, just unwilling to view slaves as the men they knew them to be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

And resisted by Christians.

Impasse.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]
God is Cruel, God will make you suffer to prove your faith, God demands exact and brutal justice even if you die to even the scales, God demanded man punish and change the evil around him instead of accepting it and taking part.

God is Just. God is 1+1=2 and eye for an eye.

If there is a God, God is logic.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You'd think he would have left some concrete proof in order to save more people. He must have known that some people wouldn't be satisfied with stories that sometimes contradict each other. I mean, if the goal is to save souls, why the mystery? Why not just be up front about it? Maybe pop in every few years to let people know that he is real?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but there would be easier ways to save people without relying on one group's ability to convince everybody else that some old stories are real, despite the contradictions and logical problems.

And please don't try to tell me that "there are no contradictions, you just don't understand scripture." I can point a few out, but that isn't the point of this post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Zuel was a god.

Jesus was a carpenter.

No shit. Doubting Thomas didn't believe, and he knew Jesus personally.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed... But those who haven't seen me and don't believe, well they can go to Hell. No like literally go to Hell to be tortured for eternity by demons, BECAUSE NOTHING PISSES ME OFF MORE!!!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You are a pretty bright guy, Swede.

I bet you could look up "The Trinity" with a search engine and find the answers to your questions.  If you are really interested.

Blasphemy and insults are not necessary.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a pretty bright guy, Swede.

I bet you could look up "The Trinity" with a search engine and find the answers to your questions.  If you are really interested.

Blasphemy and insults are not necessary.

I haven't insulted anyone.

And the Trinity is a polytheistic concept.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I imagine there really was a Jesus, and did claim to be the messiah (as many in his day and after have done), and probably amassed the following we hear about during his life in the Bible. I suspect that when the Romans killed him, as they did many people who threatened their society with religious ideas they found wrong, his followers were a little distraught and wondering what to make of the son of the all-powerful and one and only God just being snuffed out.

It's not hard to imagine at all that in order to carry on what they thought he stood for, that the concept of his death being an atonement for man's sins, and a re-birth and spirit life beyond that sad demise were 1000x more palatable than him just being dead and gone.

So, 100 years later they started writing his story.

My version is just as valid and verifiable as the Biblical one, btw, if you're keeping score.

As this isn't the religion forum, that's my take on it all.

View Quote

Jesus did exist.  The Romans wrote about him.  At the time, they were having problems with Christianity, so it would have been to their advantage to deny his existence as a way to diminish the Christianity problem.  They couldn't do that though because there were first hand accounts - it wouldn't be possible to tell people that they hadn't seen what they had seen.

As far as my own personal belief structure, an important part to me was the change in the behavior of the disciples prior to and after the crucifixion of Jesus.

As he was being taken away, they hid - scattered, denied that they knew him.  They were trying to save their mortal bodies.

After he was crucified, they witnessed events that we referred to as miracles.  It was then that their own beliefs solidified.  It was at that point, that they truly became men of God and dedicated their lives to spreading the word.

It was a hard choice to make.  It would have been much easier for them to filter back to their homes and just to try and forget the whole thing.  They didn't though.

They paid the price with their lives - they had the opportunity to deny Jesus as being Christ, but something had happened to change their behavior between the time that Jesus was crucified and when he was resurrected.

That's the key for me.  Human nature was the same then as it is now.  We put very, very few things above that of our own lives.  Before the crucifixion, they put their lives before that of Jesus.  Afterward, events cause them to change.  They spoke of the miracles and laid down their lives to spread the word.

Something had changed them.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll bet I could round up a bunch of Jewish guys who would disagree with that statement, but they might be accused of acting like jerks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Why would a perfect being with infinite power create a hell with the foreknowledge, and therefore the intent, that most of mankind would be tortured there forever?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, it is definitely not.

Like I said, you could become educated if you were really interested.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Trinity is a polytheistic concept.

No, it is definitely not.

Like I said, you could become educated if you were really interested.

I have read about it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Do you really mean to say that disagreement is, by definition, acting like a jerk?

I hope not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

No - not at all.  See my post above this.

ETA:  To quote myself:

I don't have a problem with them believing something different than myself. That's entirely their option - free will and all that.

I have a problem when they understand that for many here, it's a deeply held belief system - as important to them as their relationship to their family.

Many times, their responses aren't to honestly question - but mainly to mock and to try to offend.

See the flying spaghetti monster post above.  That illustrates my point.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

His universe-His rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His universe-His rules.

The Jews, who are sort of experts on Hebrew, say there is only one God, and to suggest that he has a son and that this son is also God, is a blasphemy.  Interestingly enough, all of the parts of the bible that Christians cite as prophesizing the coming of Jesus, the Jews translate differently.  There Messiah will be a man.  One heck of a man, but just a man.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top