Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
Long story short.  Wife's car wasn't locked, some asshole stole he Social Security card and a checkbook.  Both were in a wallet and purse, so I don't think these items were the target.  Besides filing police report and notifying our bank, what do I do about the card?????
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
She can monitor how many SS credits and wages are being attributed to her number at the SS web site.

I guy that worked for me had many many quarters of SS contributions after he worked a construction job one summer.

The actual card should stay at home.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]

I just lost my wallet a few weeks ago and am in a similar scenario.

Your biggest danger right now is that it might be used in identity theft.

You can prevent this by putting a freeze on your credit.  I have just completed doing that.

You have to freeze it with all three credit bureaus.

Click here
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Pepper your angus??
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch illegal make SS contributions for you, profit

Disclaimer: sarcasm
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She can monitor how many SS credits and wages are being attributed to her number at the SS web site.

I guy that worked for me had many many quarters of SS contributions after he worked a construction job one summer.

View Quote

Never understood why ppl carry it around with them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't know she WAS carrying it with her.  Keep mine in the sfe w/ passports/titles/guns.  

Johnny_Reno - Thanks for that link.  Put a fraud alert on her immediatly while we go through the process of the freeze.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Stupid

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a CREDIT FREEZE on all three credit reports.  This is the only way to ensure no new credit lines are opened in her name.  Getting a "fraud alert" only will last 90 days and are sometimes ignored.  Also notify your current credit card companies and bank.

Finally get a copy of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.  This is 100% free and run by the credit bureaus.  Look for any queries (non promotional) that you don't recognize.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a CREDIT FREEZE on all three credit reports.  This is the only way to ensure no new credit lines are opened in her name.  Getting a "fraud alert" only will last 90 days and are sometimes ignored.  Also notify your current credit card companies and bank.

Finally get a copy of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.  This is 100% free and run by the credit bureaus.  Look for any queries (non promotional) that you don't recognize.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Spot on

Lifelock is almost wothless and freezing your credit it more effective.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Get used to being the First Husband and be nice to her since she can boot you off Air Force 1.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Former girlfriend had her SS# absconded and accounts were being opening with it.  Called the SS Admin, called the card companies.  Nobody gave two fucks to help her.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Who besides your wife carries their ss card around?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Who carries their SS card with them?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I must say, I greatly appreciate responses like this from Rogue.  I know this is GD but holy fuck, talk about trying to rub salt in a wound.

The fraud alert is only a stop gap until we get her reports frozen,  It requires paperwork that I don't have in front of me, due to being at work right now, and she is essentially computer illiterate unless it has to do with facebook.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I must say, I greatly appreciate responses like this from Rogue.  I know this is GD but holy fuck, talk about trying to rub salt in a wound.

The fraud alert is only a stop gap until we get her reports frozen,  It requires paperwork that I don't have in front of me, due to being at work right now, and she is essentially computer illiterate unless it has to do with facebook.
View Quote

I was able to do two of the credit bureaus online, but for some reason, the third wouldn't recognize me and I had to send the freeze in via snail mail.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was able to do two of the credit bureaus online, but for some reason, the third wouldn't recognize me and I had to send the freeze in via snail mail.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May have had something to do with your state.  In Indiana it looked like it could be done online, but they would need scans of several identifying pieces of information (utility bills, etc.).  But on the good side, in Indiana the freezes are free for all three credit bureaus, even if you haven't been a victim yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top