Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/17/2014 6:18:45 PM EDT
....I'm looking for the meanest, baddest shit I can buy locally - Walmart, Cal Ranch, Tractor Supply.

I have a large front and back yard full of gravel. I want nothing to ever grow in the gravel again.

Normal weed spray doesn't seem to do the trick for long.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Short of diesel...roundup 365 is what I use.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Salt. Lots of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My sources say this might help

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
24D is what the USFS uses.
Seems to work quite well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Kills everything.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a well, salt. If you have municipal water, don't worry about the cancer and go with chemicals.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Arsenal

Shit wont grow back for a couple years either.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Used motor oil?  Or a goat?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I may have done a test patch of C12H23. Shit grew back in a month. Mutant weeds?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Dig the shit up, put it in planters and ship it to me. I will water it, fertilize it, and weed it.

I will still die. I have a brown thumb.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Used motor oil?  Or a goat?
View Quote

I think the neighbors down the street might try to have their way with it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Will have to get some to try out.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Salt. Lots of it.
View Quote
Yep, as long as you are serious about not wanting anything to grow. Go buy a bunch of bags of water softener salt and lay it down heavy.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Not enough WARNING POISON or skull and crossbones on the label.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Ask my ex-wife to take care of them, and keep them healthy, and they'd all be dead in a week.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Treating is only 87% effective. You gotta kill the soil or it will grow back. Heck weeds even grow through paved roads and concrete  sidewalks.

Grass growns at our beaches and oily construction areas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a product called Pramitol. It is a ground sterilant. If you have trees nearby, be careful, it will kill them, too. It was also move if it gets a heavy rain. That will keep the ground barren for YEARS. Be careful.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
....I'm looking for the meanest, baddest shit I can buy locally - Walmart, Cal Ranch, Tractor Supply.

I have a large front and back yard full of gravel. I want nothing to ever grow in the gravel again.

Normal weed spray doesn't seem to do the trick for long.
View Quote

I have found that Ortho Ground Clear (gallon jug) works well for my purposes, but it probably does 9-10 months instead of the advertised 12.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mix 2 doses 24D ester, 2 doses 24D amine,  2 doses roundup, and about 1 tablespoon of dawn. in a 5 gallon bucket.  it should kill everything that can be pesticide killed practically, IF it doesn't die in a week from that mix get a shovel, dig up the survivor and send to the Smithsonian as it is a mutant species.
^(advice from the guy across the desk from me who sold pestacides for 20 years professionally, he also warns that you cant do such an application commercially)/

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Krovar

Make sure ther's no tree roots under your gravel.
It will last about five years.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
2-4-D is the only thing I ever sprayed that messed with me.  Lightheadedness, headache.  

I would think any regular round-up type glyphosate is gonna work the best, short of paving.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Nukes. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.agrisupply.com/pramitol-e-herbicide/p/61314/

This stuff will kill what is growing and keeps from any new growth.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mix 2 doses 24D ester, 2 doses 24D amine,  2 doses roundup, and about 1 tablespoon of dawn. in a 5 gallon bucket.  it should kill everything that can be pesticide killed practically, IF it doesn't die in a week from that mix get a shovel, dig up the survivor and send to the Smithsonian as it is a mutant species.
^(advice from the guy across the desk from me who sold pestacides for 20 years professionally, he also warns that you cant do such an application commercially)/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just put in the 24d ester unless you live in a hot or windy climate.  Keep the roundup and keep the dawn.

24d is an synthetic auxin which is a growth regulator.  (both the ester and amine formulations, ester is just more volatile than amine).

Roundup is a esps (enzyme) targeting herbicide.  There are resistant species.

The soap just make adsorption better.  It's a good thing.  Get a good application the first time.  You might have to come back in a week and reapply.  Don't let it go to seed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been using Gly Star Plus at 3 oz / gal around the driveway and the patios.  I also sprayed a lot that had a pretty good crop of Kochia that was on the verge of pollenating and it did a pretty good job of killing it all.  I upped the concentration to 6 oz. / gal.   I used about a gallon of concentrate on a bit less than an acre.

Glystar is a glyphosphate - basically roundup, at around 1/2 the cost.  I get it over the counter at Cenex a bit under $50/gal of concentrate.

Gly Star Plus
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pesticide is for creatures, herbicide is for plants.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Ten grams of Cobalt 60, on top of a six foot pole, in the middle of the area.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Glyphosate (roundup) @ 6 qts/ac  +
Imazypyr (Arsenal) @ 20 oz/ac +
Sulfometuron Methyl (Oust) @ 1.5 oz/ac

and mix it all up with enough water for in a 10 gallon per acre application rate.

Apply during the growing season.  It will give you good immediate brown-up plus good long-term residual effect.

Keep all people/pets out of the treatment area for 24 hours after application.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Scrap up the gravel, roll out a sheet of 6 mil plastic, put the gravel back on top. Might want to leave an open area around your house so the foundation doesn't dry out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All herbicides are technically pesticides but not all pesticides are herbicides.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Salt. Lots of it.
View Quote

used for thousands of years.. Ever wonder why the Romans would salt the fields? nothing will EVER grow in that dirt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ortho Ground Clear.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Daisy cutter.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Just put in the 24d ester unless you live in a hot or windy climate.  Keep the roundup and keep the dawn.

24d is an synthetic auxin which is a growth regulator.  (both the ester and amine formulations, ester is just more volatile than amine).

The soap just make adsorption better.  It's a good thing.  Get a good application the first time.  You might have to come back in a week and reapply.  Don't let it go to seed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sub 30 to 100-120 degrees @ 5000 foot elevation.

I have no problems laying it on thick. I also want to buy myself a decent economical backpack sprayer - due to a neck injury, holding a heavy jug in one hand is excruciating after a few minutes.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Agent orange?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Scrap up the gravel, roll out a sheet of 6 mil plastic, put the gravel back on top. Might want to leave an open area around your house so the foundation doesn't dry out.
View Quote

They started growing ON TOP OF THE FUCKING PLASTIC!

I hate weeds, if you haven't noticed. My wife wouldn't let me just soak the yards in jellied petroleum and light it off.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish I could have the soil analyze in a spot in my yard. Nothing grows there! I have tried to grow grass & plants.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Neighbors are sure to complain.
At least the ones far enough away to survive the pressure wave.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you have kids or pets?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Round Up is your Allie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

I do have kids.

They don't play outside this time of year.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Diesel doesn't work for shit and will just piss off any neighbors you have with the smell.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#45]
"Back in the day"...Premitol used to be the shit! My uncle always bragged about how he'd sprayed it around one of his bins and years later there was still nothing that grew there. Now, I can spray my gravel driveway with it and six weeks later you won't be able to tell that I ever sprayed it with anything. My buddy says that my problem is that I spot spray it and only spray where something green already grows. He maintains that you have to "paint it like you're using a brush." He may be right. Good luck OP. I've given up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

"Back in the day"...Premitol used to be the shit! My uncle always bragged about how he'd sprayed it around one of his bins and years later there was still nothing that grew there. Now, I can spray my gravel driveway with it and six weeks later you won't be able to tell that I ever sprayed it with anything. My buddy says that my problem is that I spot spray it and only spray where something green already grows. He maintains that you have to "paint it like you're using a brush." He may be right. Good luck OP. I've given up.
View Quote

I will never accept defeat!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I do have kids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do have kids.

Remember that anything that is residual enough to suppress new growth is enough to kids to pick up on their skin.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Remember that anything that is residual enough to suppress new growth is enough to kids to pick up on their skin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do have kids.

Fair enough. They really don't play in the yard at all - the park is a block away, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There is a product called Pramitol. It is a ground sterilant. If you have trees nearby, be careful, it will kill them, too. It was also move if it gets a heavy rain. That will keep the ground barren for YEARS. Be careful.
View Quote
this is what we use at the mine on all our gravel roads, parking lots and the warehouse yard area..it works! use a broadcast spreader and "seed" the area right before a decent rain or water it, be very careful of run off because the runoff will kill anything too..

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top