Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
Similar topics have been posted recently, but I thought this BBC article was worth reading.  

There is an increasing familiarity with guns in the US, and more states are passing "shall issue" laws - making gun licensing less discretionary, says Dr Jennifer Dawn Carlson, an American sociologist who teaches at the University of Toronto.

With an estimated 300 million guns in the US, Carlson says, "clearly there are more guns that are not involved in crime versus the opposite". Such firearms are associated with family and protection instead of crime.

"It's actually something that you make a part of your everyday life," Carlson says.

Some states have a strong open-carry movement, where those who are licensed can carry unconcealed firearms in public. Texas, which already allows concealed carry, could become the largest state to roll back its ban on open carry next year.

Such a public presence, Carlson says, desensitises people from the shock of seeing a gun and reduces the taboo around gun ownership.

"Gun ownership is increasingly seen as part of what it means to be a responsible citizen," she says.

"It's not just a right to self-defence but a duty to protect your family and community."
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I credit the Internet.  Before the Internet, many people's views were shaped by television (news and sitcoms), and only a few liberal elites had control of those - they were mostly broadcast out of major liberal cities.

Now, anyone can post and talk on the Internet.  I never knew there were people like arfcommers when I was growing up.  If they existed, they were too afraid to talk about gun rights openly, likely b/c they feared ridicule.  Now that anyone can report a news story to millions of people, it's a whole different world.  They'll likely crack down on anonymous Internet access in our lifetimes, but I don't think it will ever really go back to the way it was.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I say the information on the internet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

But the last sentence I posted was the one that got to me.  An actual college-by-God-educated sociologist has actually come out and stated the obvious:  We recognize that the police can't be everywhere, and we realize that We, The People are primarily responsible for our safety, and that of our family.  I tell ya, it gave me goosebumps.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that some supporters are simply experiencing an increasing desire to exercise their freedom and others are sensing more of an obligation to do so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I credit the Internet.  Before the Internet, many people's views were shaped by television (news and sitcoms), and only a few liberal elites had control of those - they were mostly broadcast out of major liberal cities.

Now, anyone can post and talk on the Internet.  I never knew there were people like arfcommers when I was growing up.  If they existed, they were too afraid to talk about gun rights openly, likely b/c they feared ridicule.  Now that anyone can report a news story to millions of people, it's a whole different world.  They'll likely crack down on anonymous Internet access in our lifetimes, but I don't think it will ever really go back to the way it was.
View Quote

This is a big part of it.  You can find volumes of information about a topic that didn't come through a media sock puppet.  Otherwise we'd all still be thinking guns all have to be registered and silencers are illegal.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But the last sentence I posted was the one that got to me.  An actual college-by-God-educated sociologist has actually come out and stated the obvious:  We recognize that the police can't be everywhere, and we realize that We, The People are primarily responsible for our safety, and that of our family.  I tell ya, it gave me goosebumps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, people from both sides of the political spectrum want to protect their families. I know a lot of people who identify as liberals/democrats and even they say "Fuck anyone who wants to try take away my right to self defense." Or who applauded the legalization of concealed carry in Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Shall issue and the internet did it for me.
Self defense with a gun only makes sense if you can carry a gun.
The internet provided me with informed, reasoned discussion of guns & self defense.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

This is pretty much it.  People forming their own decisions from information they gather themselves rather than basing it off of the biased views of the mainstream media.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, people from both sides of the political spectrum want to protect their families. I know a lot of people who identify as liberals/democrats and even they say "Fuck anyone who wants to try take away my right to self defense." Or who applauded the legalization of concealed carry in Illinois.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may say that but they want YOUR rights taken away, not theirs.  It's how they roll.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Gen X & Millenials playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Battlefield, etc. & seeing cool guns, & wanting them in real life.

it's why lately the SJW's have made a hard push into the videogame industry, to write editorials decrying the realistic nature of these games, & the use of actual brand names/model numbers as promoting violence.

that which becomes familiar becomes less scary/taboo.  kids/young adults in the millions have played these games, & want to possess/use the guns in real life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They may say that but they want YOUR rights taken away, not theirs.  It's how they roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I know beg me to take them shooting lol but yea, some people say one thing but act/vote differently.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Backed against the wall, citizens FIGHT back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Tyranny fosters resistance.

Figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I think pro gun majority has always been reality just been skewed and biased for whatever benefit. Media tells us what THEY want to in order to advance their agendas. People are starting to see and realize stuff is getting bad everywhere now days. They perceive cops are stupid and will kill you. Local, state gov doesn't do anything. People are speaking out MORE as well.

We may be getting the medias version of Sandy Hook, Ferguson, etc. but I think in REALITY...what people are REALLY talking about is more toward facts and evidence being suppressed or slanted and wanting to be able to protect themselves. Its on the net, must be true!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Guns are cool. The internet has allowed millions of people who didn't otherwise have exposure to guns to see just how cool they are. It's hard to fight something (the awesomeness of guns) with nothing (the vague notion that guns are dangerous and people shouldn't have them).
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]
facebook
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

And Arfcom could be a very large part of that.  This is the largest most heavily trafficked forum I have ever ran across on the Internet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And Arfcom could be a very large part of that.  This is the largest most heavily trafficked forum I have ever ran across on the Internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've also learned A LOT just from visiting/posting on here too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
So many publicized incidents where people are brutally murdered?  Every time there is an incident, some people are going to say to themselves "how could I protect myself from that?"

Hell, the idiocy of the fergeson riots, rodney king and reginald denny, even the school shooting incidents force some people to take a long sober look and conclude that the police can't be there to help when the shooting starts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Internet. While murders in the news does drive gun sales. The internet really helped non gun owners view gun ownership as normal. Unlike the media.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Oddly enough, you have to give some credit to the media, and the current administration.  The media blows every single event so far out of proportion to drive their ratings numbers up that they have naturally created an uneasy feeling in American minds.  And the current administration has done everything in its power to get Americans to fear and mistrust their government.  

So you have 2 entities burning the candle at both ends.  The media creates the fear, the .gov demonstrates that it can't or won't protect you and will harm you if it can.  Naturally people want to protect themselves and a gun is a very popular and effective way of doing it.

What's ironic imo, is that America is living is a very peaceful and low crime time period.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gen X & Millenials playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Battlefield, etc. & seeing cool guns, & wanting them in real life.

it's why lately the SJW's have made a hard push into the videogame industry, to write editorials decrying the realistic nature of these games, & the use of actual brand names/model numbers as promoting violence.

that which becomes familiar becomes less scary/taboo.  kids/young adults in the millions have played these games, & want to possess/use the guns in real life.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think that's all of it, but I do think it's a factor.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Now if only we could do away with the NFA/GCA non-sense...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's her picture and an article:

http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/vp-research/news/connaught-fund-2014

It appears she has published: "policing guns"

ETA: FOUND IT!  I think this is the research mentioned in the article:

Carlson, Jennifer. "Why America Isn't the Only Country that Wants Guns for Self-Defense." The Christian Science Monitor 2013.

...There is no doubt that Americas gun ownership stands out globally: With an estimated 300 million-plus guns in the hands of civilians, Americans own more guns than any other nation in the world. And without Americas particular legal foundations and history, it is hard to imagine that the country would be as much of a hotbed for gun rights as it is today....

I found the article in the college's database, and sine I'm no sure if it is freely available outside academia I will not post the rest, but feel free to chase down the cite, it's there.

Also interesting

Carlson, Jennifer D. "States, Subjects and Sovereign Power: Lessons from Global Gun Cultures." Theoretical Criminology 18.3 (2014): 335-53.

Abstract

This article examines demand for guns for personal protection in the USA, South Africa, and India. To make sense of pro-gun sentiment across these different contexts, I argue that gun owners and carriers who arm themselves for personal protection represent a particular kind of ‘responsibilized’ subject. Drawing on Foucault’s analysis of sovereign power and governmentality, I develop a theory of the ‘sovereign subject’. This is a political rationality marked by private individuals’ capacity and desire to perform sovereign functions that the state has typically monopolized, specifically the exercise of legitimate, lethal violence. I conclude the article by suggesting four characteristics (historically precarious state monopoly on sovereign power; legality of civilian use of guns; preponderance of criminal guns; and US influence) that may encourage demand for guns in high-crime societies.

You'll need to be able to access academic papers if you want to read it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep this is a factor for sure.  I know a young gamer who recently purchased his first firearm and is now looking for his first pistol.  It was funny one day when he was talking about buying a suppressor.  I was like no your not...  I then had to explain the whole NFA thing to him.  He had no idea suppressors were controlled like that.

It was an eye opening moment for him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I think there has always been a lot of support for guns in the U.S.; many of us were raised with them and it just wasn't a big deal.  As the opposition gets more vocal, those who never really gave it a second thought before are starting to say "just you waita damn minute, there...".  We've always been here, just never had reason to get all defensive about it until we started getting poked.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Decentralization of media/information.  Internet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#29]
People are catching on to the libbie's control issues....this is the land of the free....keep voting for libbies and we won't be allowed outside unless they give us an all clear. "for our own good"... Backlash needs sustained.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think there has always been a lot of support for guns in the U.S.; many of us were raised with them and it just wasn't a big deal.  As the opposition gets more vocal, those who never really gave it a second thought before are starting to say "just you waita damn minute, there...".  We've always been here, just never had reason to get all defensive about it until we started getting poked.
View Quote

I was raised around guns and they were no big deal.  It wasn't until I developed an interest in them that I came to realize how screwed up the laws and public perception was of them.  I think there is a vast majority of people who would support guns who simply don't realize the assault that is being waged against them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Doom and Al Gore. Everything else is incorrect. Crime is lower than it has ever been. Corruption on local levels is lower than it has ever been.
When I grow up, I want a DEagle and a plasma cannon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
A slim majority the article says...A if any majority matters.

gotta love those subject to the crown.

I thhink seeing nightly displays of feral animals  sating Kill whitey and hands up don't shoot may have quite a bit to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
There are more of us than loud mouthed liberal fuck stick gun grabbers. That is all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was raised around guns and they were no big deal.  It wasn't until I developed an interest in them that I came to realize how screwed up the laws and public perception was of them.  I think there is a vast majority of people who would support guns who simply don't realize the assault that is being waged against them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too was raised around guns and so was my entire family.  Thanks to the internet and sites like this, I've become far more educated on the firearm subject and the laws pertaining to it.  My family while gun friendly constantly spouts off this nonsense that they've been told over the years about gun laws and such.  When I educate them and correct their thinking they all have a moment of clarity, and come to realize that what they know is wrong.  Its beautiful, and all of the sudden the scary weapon of war, or the dangers of carrying a hand gun go away.

Although some of my family still handle a firearm like they're picking up a turd by the clean end.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are more of us than loud mouthed liberal fuck stick gun grabbers. That is all.
View Quote

That's the problem.  It's the loud mouths that heard the sheep...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not anymore. Hence the article.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up with guns in the house, Dad would take me shooting once every other year or so - but when I decided to get a CHL, and was introduced to ARFCOM - video game guns drove a lot of my purchases. I have bought several guns because I liked them in games and wanted to shoot them IRL.

especially this one:

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thats a big part of it.

I think most of them actually think seeing fake violence makes violent people.  Remember all the arfcommers saying video games were one of the many factors in Sandy Hook?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

+1
This is pretty much it.  People forming their own decisions from information they gather themselves rather than basing it off of the biased views of the mainstream media.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This!.......Both posts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

+2 here........
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Call of Duty and Battlefield
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Because of all of the educated and insightful posts on GD
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]
... "We the People"

Internet helped facilitate the inevitable
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This!.......Both posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This!.......Both posts.

No. ARFCOM!!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.   As well as video games.  They have made them "cool things to own"

regardless, it is a beautiful thing, and would be amazing if we could harness the energy and propel ourselves forward towards some more freedom, rather than less.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Racism. Obviously.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

A scary thought, but I don't doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#49]
A bunch of necessary but not sufficient factors.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Crime.

Crime.

Crime.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top