Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once the Bumpus' dogs got in and ate our Christmas turkey. We ate Chinese.
View Quote

At least you recovered from the soap poisoning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sad, I have no stories, my children like myself were all well behaved
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Is 7Mary3 (not sure of spelling) still around? It's the holiday season and I always looked forward to his in-law stories about them ruining holidays.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Took my parents years to figure out we knew where they hid the gifts. I knew what I was getting almost every year. One year I couldn't find any in the normal spot so in my desperation to know I opened a few. I tried taping them back just the way I found them. Guess I didn't do a good enough job. The look of disappointment on my parents face was bad enough that I never looked for my presents again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was young one of my uncles came to Christmas dinner and got so drunk he pissed himself while passed out. He didnt come to any more Christmas parties.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't remember a Christmas without either the uncle who molested me or the father who seemed to take sadistic joy in screaming and carrying on Christmas Day. He would even grab presents and destroy them. I have no idea why my mother continued to bother after the first time that happened. I refuse to see those assholes anymore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was a kid we would go to my grandmas house on Christmas Eve.  Every year "santa" would come to the windows, dance around, stomp on the roof, etc.  All of us kids (I was the oldest) would go nuts and believe every year more than last.  Well about age 8 is the year things start clicking.  Just before the normal santa time...uncle Tom slips away.  So I tug on my dads shirt and say "where did uncle Tom go" and get a curt "hes in the bathroom".  I checked every bathroom in the house...no Tom.  That dastard...ly guy.  Suddenly the roof shakes "its the reindeer!"  Then there he is...the fat man...Tom.  The other kids cheer and jump around while I sit with my arms folded.  The jig is up!  When uncle Tom comes back in I shake his hand...its bitter cold.  One could only describe it as a tense interview as I asked where he had been for the last several minutes.  As Tom laughed and joked I suddenly yelled "SANTA ISNT REAL!"  The other kids go from to ...tears erupt like Old Faithful...I had single handedly ruined Christmas for every relative in the home.  All because Tom didnt have a good alliby...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I was a kid we would go to my grandmas house on Christmas Eve.  Every year "santa" would come to the windows, dance around, stomp on the roof, etc.  All of us kids (I was the oldest) would go nuts and believe every year more than last.  Well about age 8 is the year things start clicking.  Just before the normal santa time...uncle Tom slips away.  So I tug on my dads shirt and say "where did uncle Tom go" and get a curt "hes in the bathroom".  I checked every bathroom in the house...no Tom.  That dastard...ly guy.  Suddenly the roof shakes "its the reindeer!"  Then there he is...the fat man...Tom.  The other kids cheer and jump around while I sit with my arms folded.  The jig is up!  When uncle Tom comes back in I shake his hand...its bitter cold.  One could only describe it as a tense interview as I asked where he had been for the last several minutes.  As Tom laughed and joked I suddenly yelled "SANTA ISNT REAL!"  The other kids go from to ...tears erupt like Old Faithful...I had single handedly ruined Christmas for every relative in the home.  All because Tom didnt have a good alliby...
View Quote

I laughed. That's so evil of eight-year-old you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nice going, Encyclopedia Brown.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats a great story. as an adult I raffed at it. as a kid id have been mortified.
i believed in santa till about 11 iirc. the reason for that is every year all year long i would beg and beg for things that i would never be allowed to have. mom and dad would never buy them and the things we did had were constantly being taken for punishment or cursed at because mom especially hated them and would never buy them. but every year, the new xbox or game cube or whatever would end up under the tree. mom would never ever have bought that so there yago. santa was real.

i never really ruined christmas per se, but one year i got up early, 5 or 6 am probably, to look at what santa had brought (santas presents were never wrapped). I have two brothers and each sibling had a pile with things it it that were obviously to their liking.

santa brought the original xbox that year. i wasn't particularly fond of the location of it under the tree.

so i sort of moved it 18 inches or so to ensure that it was distinctly in my pile of presents. nobody would know, after all santa had come down after everyone had fallen into a slumber to do his work in secrecy and steal our peace offering of milk and cookies, that fat bastard.

satisfied with my handiwork i retired to bed to await the eternity that it took for the rest of the family to awake.
when finally everybody was ready for christmas festivities i ran downstairs so excited that i could open up my xbox.

luckily mom and dad had the foresight to allow us to enjoy the excitement of the presents before busting me for moving it. i sort of got in trouble for that and it ruined my Christmas for a few hours.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no family.

Except all you ARFCOMMERS.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've watched my uncles and cousins fist fighting in the living room and kitchen on several festive occasions.
View Quote

Ah, the Feats of Strength - always the highlight of any holiday occasion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the Bumpus' dogs got in and ate our Christmas turkey. We ate Chinese.

But he still damned near shot his eye out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have no family.

Except all you ARFCOMMERS.

View Quote

Merry Christmas Jarhead!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My mom knocked Santa to the ground and was riding him like a cowboy so I ran into tell dad but he wasn't there so I took his car keys and drove down to the bar to go get him so he could save mom from wrestling with Santa. when I got back home Santa was gone, I think mom really beat him up and Dad was snoring in bed but mom was pissed I took the car did they expect a 11 year old to walk to the bar at 2 am in the morning?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
PSA:  When attempting to open presents early and re-seal them after inspection, running out of scotch tape and using masking tape is not a workable substitute.   I had several presents placed oddly under the tree in an attempt to conceal the masking tape used on some of them.  Never again saw any of those items I expected to see Christmas Morning.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Found a guitar effects processor while my parents were out of town. Proceeded to get it out and wail all afternoon. Barely got that one, barely made it out alive in fact.

My wife says I ruin Christmas every year by finding out what she got for me, but i've never done it on purpose!

Our oldest girl had the flu last year so she was sick and getting sick everywhere while my wife and her side of the family were having Christmas. That one was a bummer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#18]
We went away and stayed in a cottage with friends.

We got drum kits for my friend's two young boys.   They were 7 and 8 and both were up at just before 2am.

Wife and I both had ear defenders and had the room farthest from the lounge and slept through the kind of cacophony that only two over-excited young boys can make with a drum kit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Dad always made a big deal that we get something for mom for Christmas, she was a giver through and through and he said it was our responsibility to do something nice for her.

Mom's domain is the kitchen... woman would cook you a meal at 2am if you asked her to, loved to cook. So we usually hit William Sonoma for some nice kitchen equipment for her.

Well this particular year she is big into cooking sushi, she volounteered for lots of events and always traveled with her own kitchen gear. Well I found some knife sheaths that snap closed so she could transport her sharps safely instead of wrapping them in a towel.

Christmas comes, everyone opens presents and she loves the sheaths, explained why I thought it was a great gift for her and she agreed she would def use them

ME:
Dad: no you didn't...
Me: what?
Dad: you didnt pick those out... I found those
Me: pretty sure I found them and you didnt think they were that cool...
Dad: no I found them and let you get them for mom, it was my idea... I saw them first...

I was crushed, I was 17 and my dad 40 something, this was my first year with an actual job to buy things for people and not get an 'allowance' for gifts... I seriously almost cried

EVEN IF he had found them.... wouldnt you let your son get some glory? It hurt me deep... still sore a little over it
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's how you fuck with your kids.  Change the name tags on all of the presents.
Johnny mean Cathy
Cathy means Johnny.

They try and figure what the present his and of course are looking at the name tags that are to themselves.
Come Xmas morning you let them in on the switch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn't ruin Christmas exactly but rather Chrismas photos of the family.  Grandparents, Aunts, uncles, parents and siblings all got together to have proffessional pictures taken for Christmas.  I always hated having my picture taken as a kid.  Lots of pictures from my childhood have me with my tongue sticking out  I wouldn't get in the group photo for anything.  They spanked me, tried talking me into it, waterboarded me.  Nope wasn't gonna do it.  I think everyone was pissed at me.  They never did get me in the picture.  Yeah, I was a brat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One year, one of my gifts was a three-level "entertainment center" to hold the also-new AM/FM/turntable stereo that was also a gift. I think I was.... maybe 10 at the time.

The design of the entertainment center was basically three shelves with four legs. The legs were notched at three different levels to slide onto the shelves. That was the entire assembly process. Lay out two of the kegs with the notches up, slide the shelves into place, install remaining legs.

As I hastily assembled this incredibly cool gift, I realized that I had just put the third leg on 180 degrees dissimilar from the first two. i realized this because I had pushed it down onto the first shelf, but it would not line up with the next shelf.

This might be a good time to tell you a bit about my father.  Former SF (Green Beret). Alcoholic. Hair temper. In fact, I believe there may be pictures from various Christmas mornings with him holding a can of Stroh's ("Nectar of the Gods", he would say).

This Christmas was no different.  Until it happened.

I attempted to remove the misaligned, partially installed leg by pulling up on the far end. The leg was not pleased, and snapped off at the notch.

The only thing I can think of that can compare to the looks of horror I saw on my mother and sister's faces can only be- somewhat- described by asking if you remember the scene from Animal House when the frat boys walk into the bar.  Everything stopped. I'd even say the Christmas music stopped unless I knew better. Only the looks were not of disbelief.  They were looks of pure horror and sympathy for the recently departed.

And then... then there was his face.

His war face.

Keep in mind.... I was nine or ten.

I shit myself. Only I didn't shit myself a little. I SHIT myself.  And then I ran.

I ran to the bathroom and locked the door, and I'm pretty sure Stanley Kubrick channeled my subconsious later in life as he instructed Shelly Duvall as to how terrified her character should be in the bathroom scene of "The Shining".

My mother, the saint that she is, managed to convince my father that in the name of Christ it would be better to show forgiveness, and rather than destroying the bathroom door, he doweled the leg back together, assembled the "entertainment center", and put it in my room.

My father came to the door, told me all was forgiven, the entertainment center was fixed and in my room.   I was convinced it was a trick.  My mother came to the door and told me the same thing. I was sure he was on the other side of the door, forcing her to say it.  Only when my sister told me the same thing did I open the door.
View Quote

Well , Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Not really ruined, but one year my sister and I got up around 4am, went downstairs and opened our new Atari set and some games. Hooked it up and played until about 8am when we both fell asleep. Mom and Dad came down later, woke us up and chewed our asses for being down so early.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife does it every year with her indiscriminate and uncontrollable anger.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't think I've ever ruined Christmas, but there was that one year I discovered that Mom kept the presents in the trunk of the car.

On the other hand, by that point I was having some serious misgivings about just how does a fat man come down a chimney and through the gap in the damper...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is 7Mary3 (not sure of spelling) still around? It's the holiday season and I always looked forward to his in-law stories about them ruining holidays.
View Quote

I sure got a laugh out of his stories only.    
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom is so worried that my brother and I will ruin Christmas that she hides all the presents to this day. She also wraps them before hiding and doesn't label them until Christmas Eve. Neither of us has lived at home for 8+ years and we are 90 miles apart, so it's not like we would just run over to search out the presents and peek. This has led to hilarity when Mom has forgotten who the wrapped present was destined for and she guessed wrong, and when she forgot where she stashed some of them. One year she lost the entire load and we heard her in the attic at 4am, she'd been looking for them since midnight. We each received a digital photo frame 3 years after she bought them because they weren't hidden with the rest of the presents.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Several years ago at the wife's family's Christmas dinner. I'm seated at the end of the long, long banquet table, with maybe twenty people on each side.  Ma-in-law sits at other end, and wants to give a toast. Everybody is holding their glasses up, and it's a really pretty scene, so I guess she's overcome by the moment and wants a picture. She focuses the camera, says "Say cheese!"...and I have no idea what came over me,  but thought it would be a great idea to jerk my shirt up and flash my man-boobs. No one notices, and I'm thinking "That was stupid and rude", and I'm glad no one saw me.  It's sort of dark at my end as the flash doesn't make it to the end of the table, but any sort of review of that pic shows a perfectly centered hairy, bearded topless guy at the end of this long table filled with kids, blue haired grannies, elderly gentlemen, and younger families all dressed up in their holiday best.  Still...ma-in-law doesn't see it, and then later that year proceeds to use that photo for the cover of her Christmas cards for the following year, which is when a family member points it out to her.
I got a talking-to about exemplary behavior from the wife and from the ma-in-law.  Pa-in-law pulled me to the side later and said that The Card was the talk of the family, and that friends and family were asking for copies, and that ma-in-law was secretly thrilled with the responses she had been getting (she makes her own cards).   Still...whenever she takes holiday photos she makes a big deal with giving me the stink eye before taking the picture.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Couple years back my mom got drunk and threw a computer through a window, then punched me in the face when I tried putting her in her room.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Apparently I ruin Christmas every year.  I'm not into the whole "wrap it and stick it under the tree for a month or more" approach.  I've already paid for it, why can't I use it/play with it?  My argument is that it's the gift and the thought behind it that counts, not when or how you receive it.  My son who is 14 is picking up on my view and now we both get the 3rd degree every year.  I just shrug it off usually but there's always at least one big argument over how I make Christmas miserable.  It made sense to me when the boy was young enough to believe in Santa, but now it's just a silly hassle.

Christmas to me is time with family and friends, time away from work, good food and good times.  A tree and a bunch of wrapping paper to throw away doesn't add anything to it for me.

I know.  I'm a scrooge.  I accept that
View Quote

No Shit, this is me. I cant stand the hassle Christmas has become over gifts and other bullshit its not really about. The food, the company, the time off, to me is what makes its good. My wife wants to ruin mine every year trying to get me to stay at the in laws house over night every year. We live in the same damn town for cryin out loud!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Several years back I was working for one of the most miserable human beings to ever walk the planet.  I also had a German Shepherd who had been with me for many years and was one of the bright spots of a particularly bad patch of life.  Christmas was approaching and the dog got sick, as in he was down and unable to even go outside.  The vet wanted to operate on him on Dec. 24 at 7:00 in the morning for what he feared was a twisted bowel.  I dropped the dog off and went to work because my el bitcho boss wouldn't let me off.  So I sat at my desk with absolutely no work at all until the vet calls at 10:00, it was cancer and he was going to just put the dog down.  Great, now I'm sitting at my desk working for a shitty boss, my dog is being put down across town, and it's Christmas Eve.  True to form I couldn't get off early because the boss hated life and anyone who had one.  The Vet met me at his office at 5:00 on Christmas Eve so I could pay the fucking bill and pick up my dead dog.  Then I had to take him to my Dad's property and dig a hole in the frozen ground by the river where the dog liked to play.  It was well after dark, I was frozen and muddy, and still in a coat and tie by the time I got home.  Oh, and in all the chaos that was my life I didn't bother to pick up a bottle of whiskey to make it all better.  

So I pull into the driveway of the little rental house I was in at the time and notice that the lights went out as soon as I made the turn.  Great, I'm probably being fucking robbed because my dog is dead.  I get out of my truck, draw my weapon, and make my way into the house.  Hey, things were looking up because I was going to get to shoot someone!  Nope.  It was just my loyal drinking buddy.  When they turned on the lights as I entered I could see he had rounded up about a half dozen slightly drunk bimbos home on college break and decided to throw a party at my house.  The girls had put up a Christmas tree and put some extra strings of lights on my Harley that was sitting in the living room.  He knew about the dog and thought I could use some cheering up.  He was right.  I didn't even mind that one of the bimbos decided to throw glitter all over the place like it was a snow storm.  Not even the one who decided to cover herself in shaving creme and act like Frosty the Snow Man could dampen my spirits that night.  One of the girls set one of her friends on fire when we discovered that cigarette lighters and too much hair spray are a volatile mix.  Christmas morning was greeted with a frightful mess.  As I sat at my bar smoking a cigarette and missing my dog, one of the girls, a redhead of questionable virtue, came crawling out from behind the couch and offered to fix breakfast and help clean the house.  She smelled like booze and cigarettes but cleaned up nicely.  Never did get all the glitter off of her.  At that point in my life it ranked as easily the Best Christmas Ever.  

Except for the dog dying part, that just sucked.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My mom knocked Santa to the ground and was riding him like a cowboy so I ran into tell dad but he wasn't there so I took his car keys and drove down to the bar to go get him so he could save mom from wrestling with Santa. when I got back home Santa was gone, I think mom really beat him up and Dad was snoring in bed but mom was pissed I took the car did they expect a 11 year old to walk to the bar at 2 am in the morning?
View Quote

Oh dear God.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I spent last Christmas in Manas, waiting for my flight into Bagram.

No shit, I flew out of Campbell on my wedding anniversary, which is the 23rd.

I used to get into fights with my ex every year, because she would spend so much money on the kids...and, in her mind, each kid had to have the SAME AMOUNT spent on them. It finally came to a head when my youngest was born. IIRC, the ex had spent like $300 on each of the oldest kids, and we were wandering around Toys R Us when she drops the "we still need another $200 to make it even for Gabby."

Gabby was, at the time, 3 months old. I gave her the , along with "why does a three year old need $300 in presents...she's happy if she is fed, dry and held!"

Keep in mind, we were poor at the time, and I was working two jobs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to have issues with sleep walking and going potty places besides the potty.  One Christmas Eve, I opened the chest in front of the couch where we would all gather opening presents and deposited a fine <CoC>, closed the lid and went back to bed.

I was about 4 at the time.
View Quote

That's funny right there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Couple years back my mom got drunk and threw a computer through a window, then punched me in the face when I tried putting her in her room.
View Quote

Uncle Roger?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Mom always had a thing about having a giant x-mas tree with all the decorations in the house.
She had all these expensive antique glass ornaments on the tree.
Huge ass real tree every year.

One year little brother(who was about 4 at the time) felt the need to play Tarzan and go climb the tree.
No one noticed him until the loud CRASH!
Tree laying down across the room - smashed glass ornaments and light bulbs all over the floor  - little brother cut up and crying/bleeding.

This was the first time I ever saw Mom go thermonuclear. It wasn't to be the last tho.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife bought me COD2 for Xmas, and I got kinda into it. I shoulda spent more time with the family.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#38]
A couple years ago my family started talking politics. I spoke honestly about my feelings and it was not received well. My youngest brother no longer speaks to me, and has never seen his 8 month old niece. He's currently in school doing post graduate work and wants to be a professor.... So yeah
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#39]
When I was 7 I set the Christmas tree on fire in the living room.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL

I nearly ruined similar for my siblings.  One year I discovered our Easter candy hidden under the covers in our guest bedroom.  I gathered my siblings in the room, threw open the covers on the bed, and proudly exclaimed, "The Easter Bunny isn't real!"

My dad popped me on the ear pretty hard after that which hurt for hours, and my mom explained the whole set of secrets.    My siblings were given an explanation, and nothing was ruined for them.

More Christmas related, since I was clued into the whole Santa operation I used to accompany my mom on Christmas shopping and set out Christmas presents for her (by the point of this story, my dad had moved out and my mom is in a wheelchair, so I was her helper).  

Well, my younger brother was always getting on my nerves and generally was the "bad" kid in the family. After setting out the Christmas presents, mom had me move onto stuffing the stockings.  I had a rock collection that had a piece of coal in it, and that night I decided to put it to good use.  

Christmas morning, everyone was enjoying their gifts and eventually moved on to checking out what kind of candy was in our stockings.  My brother dumped out his stocking only to see this black lump fall on the floor among his candy, and asked, "What is this?"

Mom leaned in and said, "It's looks like coal," with a very puzzled look on her face.  He was on the verge of tears for a few minutes until I finally fessed up to slipping it in there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A couple years ago my family started talking politics. I spoke honestly about my feelings and it was not received well. My youngest brother no longer speaks to me, and has never seen his 8 month old niece. He's currently in school doing post graduate work and wants to be a professor.... So yeah
View Quote

I'm planning to talk to my parents in the next few days and ask for a ceasefire around political stuff while the family is gathered for Christmas. Two of my cousins are married to police officers and any kind of Ferguson-related idiocy is not going to be well received.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll let you know on the 26th
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Several years ago at the wife's family's Christmas dinner. I'm seated at the end of the long, long banquet table, with maybe twenty people on each side.  Ma-in-law sits at other end, and wants to give a toast. Everybody is holding their glasses up, and it's a really pretty scene, so I guess she's overcome by the moment and wants a picture. She focuses the camera, says "Say cheese!"...and I have no idea what came over me,  but thought it would be a great idea to jerk my shirt up and flash my man-boobs. No one notices, and I'm thinking "That was stupid and rude", and I'm glad no one saw me.  It's sort of dark at my end as the flash doesn't make it to the end of the table, but any sort of review of that pic shows a perfectly centered hairy, bearded topless guy at the end of this long table filled with kids, blue haired grannies, elderly gentlemen, and younger families all dressed up in their holiday best.  Still...ma-in-law doesn't see it, and then later that year proceeds to use that photo for the cover of her Christmas cards for the following year, which is when a family member points it out to her.
I got a talking-to about exemplary behavior from the wife and from the ma-in-law.  Pa-in-law pulled me to the side later and said that The Card was the talk of the family, and that friends and family were asking for copies, and that ma-in-law was secretly thrilled with the responses she had been getting (she makes her own cards).   Still...whenever she takes holiday photos she makes a big deal with giving me the stink eye before taking the picture.
View Quote

That's a good story.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I snuck a peak at my presents a few days before they all got wrapped. My mom who is a xmas nut cried for hours, My dad threatened to give them all to other kids who wanted to be surprised.

It was a little rough.

In my defense--I knew my dad was buying me a shotgun, I wanted to see if he got me a 20 or a 12
View Quote

We did this for years, my Mother never understood why anyone would willingly ruin their own Christmas.
I didn't ruin it for me. also, my Mother caught on to the unwrapping shit early thing, it got so bad that even if we played near the tree we would get yelled at.
Good memories.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Age 8 is the last real Christmas I remember us having.

Things were tense between my parents. Both acted like they  just didn't care anymore. I remember putting up some decorations when I was 9 because I realized that nobody else was going to.

I never ruined Christmas for them. They did it themselves.
View Quote

I am so sorry. That is just sad. I wish I could give you a hug.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess this hardly qualifies, but as a child I peeked under my parents bed and saw a stamp collecting set. I knew I was the potential victim so at dinner I casually mentioned how I really did not think that stamp collecting was very interesting. I didn't get the stamp collection book so I guess it worked
View Quote

So....who got it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Banned I think though I am not 100% on that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wife does it every year with her indiscriminate and uncontrollable anger.
View Quote

I am sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for the catalog of Christmas mayhem and hijinks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm planning to talk to my parents in the next few days and ask for a ceasefire around political stuff while the family is gathered for Christmas. Two of my cousins are married to police officers and any kind of Ferguson-related idiocy is not going to be well received.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah probably a good idea. It's sad that some people can't have these heated conversations and let the emotional part go after we agreed to disagree.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top